The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Race for the #1 pick in 2010!

Hell yeah Canes! Keep it up! Only 4 points back of the Oilers!

And the Oilers week is as follows: Vs. Preds, Vs. Pens, @Sharks.

So I don't see us winning this week.

dry.gif   We're hitting the road now, you'll see.

By the time we meet up, the gap could widen again because after an epic meeting scheduled with the "also vying for 30th" Leaf's next, and a couple of SE divisional match ups,  the Canes have to get through the Red Wings, Bruins, Flyers and Blackhawks before heading to Rexall Place.

This will be a battle to the end. wink.gif

It will just be our luck to finish 23rd and out of the running for any substantial draft pick. Thank you MO, we can't win like we use to nor will we lose substantially enough to win the #1 or #2 draft pick.

It will just be our luck to finish 23rd and out of the running for any substantial draft pick. Thank you MO, we can't win like we use to nor will we lose substantially enough to win the #1 or #2 draft pick.
Well now Mr. Badonkadonk, are you complaining because Mo isn't losing enough?roll.gif

You are right about the finishing 23rd sucking.  We are playing much better than earlier in the season and better than the rest of the cellar dwellers.  I never thought we had the worst talent in the league but it sure looked like we had the worst team.  My guess is that we will end up about 26th after it's all said and done.  We need to start trading and field the team of Rats so we can (1) have something to keep us entertained, and (2) hold on to the 30th spot. 

Considering how much we struggled for half of the game, at home, against the second worst road team in the league that has played the night before too.... I'm not too worried.

Considering how much we struggled for half of the game, at home, against the second worst road team in the league who was missing their top 5 forwards and has played the night before too.... I'm not too worried.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

caniac-97']It will just be our luck to finish 23rd and out of the running for any substantial draft pick. Thank you MO, we can't win like we use to nor will we lose substantially enough to win the #1 or #2 draft pick.

are you complaining because Mo isn't losing enough?roll.gif

Now that's funny A_laughing_matter.gif

I for one am all about that #30 pick. It was great fun to be at yesterday's win, but that was a very tired Senators team. Apparently not only a back to back, but a very short turn around. They handled us in the first period, then faded. Cam played great. We need to have a nice win at home from time to time. Lot's of people there with military appreciation, good win, but that'll be enough for now.

Now here's a golden lining. Brind'Amour has 3 games with points and a goal yesterday. Logical move with all the call ups is to move him up and increase his ice time for a while. After all, he's back, right? Dare I say he has a little resurgence could be be traded? No, but at least we will settle back into losing and get back to being serious about that pick. Move him up. Also Cam is back, so lets get Manny some ice time.

Winning tomorrow is unacceptable. We really need to fire off at least 3 losses in the next 4. Then the schedule might take care of things through the first week in Feb.

We already have nearly half of our fowards that started in Albany, though Sutter is clearly playing like a proven NHL player now. This team looked good on paper at the start, but now with Brindy* and A.Ward mostly ineffective and Cole, Ruutu, Samsonov, LaRose, Walker and Corvo out. Come on, if it weren't for Cam we'd be there right now and we haven't even traded anyone.

This little win streak looks good to anyone who thinks we're tanking, but we need to get back to business now.

*yes he's had a few points recently.

I for one am all about that #30 pick. It was great fun to be at yesterday's win, but that was a very tired Senators team. Apparently not only a back to back, but a very short turn around. They handled us in the first period, then faded. Cam played great. We need to have a nice win at home from time to time. Lot's of people there with military appreciation, good win, but that'll be enough for now.

Now here's a golden lining. Brind'Amour has 3 games with points and a goal yesterday. Logical move with all the call ups is to move him up and increase his ice time for a while. After all, he's back, right? Dare I say he has a little resurgence could be be traded? No, but at least we will settle back into losing and get back to being serious about that pick. Move him up. Also Cam is back, so lets get Manny some ice time.

Winning tomorrow is unacceptable. We really need to fire off at least 3 losses in the next 4. Then the schedule might take care of things through the first week in Feb.

We already have nearly half of our fowards that started in Albany, though Sutter is clearly playing like a proven NHL player now. This team looked good on paper at the start, but now with Brindy* and A.Ward mostly ineffective and Cole, Ruutu, Samsonov, LaRose, Walker and Corvo out. Come on, if it weren't for Cam we'd be there right now and we haven't even traded anyone.

This little win streak looks good to anyone who thinks we're tanking, but we need to get back to business now.

*yes he's had a few points recently.

I agree, the 30th place is ours and we can't let other teams dictate that by not showing up for games!!  oh yes, and being tired!!

caniac-97']It will just be our luck to finish 23rd and out of the running for any substantial draft pick. Thank you MO, we can't win like we use to nor will we lose substantially enough to win the #1 or #2 draft pick.

Well now Mr. Badonkadonk, are you complaining because Mo isn't losing enough?roll.gif

You are right about the finishing 23rd sucking.  We are playing much better than earlier in the season and better than the rest of the cellar dwellers.  I never thought we had the worst talent in the league but it sure looked like we had the worst team.  My guess is that we will end up about 26th after it's all said and done.  We need to start trading and field the team of Rats so we can (1) have something to keep us entertained, and (2) hold on to the 30th spot. yep, it really has us in a predicament (as only Mo could do).  Even if our guys keep winning we won't make the playoffs and with every win we inch further away from the number one draft pick and our Suckage Award!

#1 is ours. You guys just keep winning and we'll keep losing, okay?

Keith, I've warned you once that we will not tolerate that.  How can you win this race to last?  We have Mo and you don't.  There's no way you can overcome our Mo-jo.

Keith_The_Great']#1 is ours. You guys just keep winning and we'll keep losing, okay?

Keith, I've warned you once that we will not tolerate that.  How can you win this race to last?  We have Mo and you don't.  There's no way you can overcome our Mo-jo.

You also have a starting goalie, and your most talented forward is healthy.

[quote name='Keith_The_Great wrote:

super-dave-1 wrote:

Keith_The_Great']#1 is ours. You guys just keep winning and we'll keep losing, okay?

Keith, I've warned you once that we will not tolerate that.  How can you win this race to last?  
We have Mo and you don't.  
There's no way you can overcome our Mo-jo.

You also have a starting goalie, and your most talented forward is healthy.

Doesn't matter, MO-jo trumps all!!

Uh oh, Canes are getting some love from TSN in their power rankings.  Edmonton needs to get those players healthy wink.gif

This Week29Last Week29Carolina Hurricanes 13-24-7

Three wins in the last four, despite a continuing run of injuries, has the Hurricanes moving in the right direction, ever so slowly.

Key Injuries: D Joe Corvo (leg), RW Erik Cole (upper body), LW Sergei Samsonov (upper body), LW Tuomo Ruutu (upper body).

This Week30Last Week30Edmonton Oilers 16-23-5

Only one in in the last dozen games. Missing their most talented forward, defenceman and goaltender. Yep, that's a recipe for 30th spot in the rankings.

Key Injuries: C Mike Comrie (mono), RW Ales Hemsky (shoulder), G Nikolai Khabibulin (back), D Lubomir Visnovsky (ankle).

And since when does ESPN give us credit:

car.gif 28 (30) Hurricanes 13-24-7 The Canes may be buried in the standings, but they trot out a good effort almost every night and have won four of six, including a solid 4-1 win over Ottawa on Sunday.
tor.gif 29 (28) Maple Leafs 15-22-9 The Leafs have won just twice in their past 10, their penalty kill still stinks and their best player, Phil Kessel, has gone dry. Boston GM Peter Chiarelli is already imagining what he'll do with the Leafs' lottery pick come June and another pick in the 2011 draft.
edm.gif 30 (29) Oilers 16-23-5 The Oilers bounced back from being publicly humiliated over a restaurant tab on New Year's Eve by losing three more in a row. Right now, they're the worst team in the league by a wide margin.

And the Hockey News has us up to 24?????????????????????????  This can't be.

Carolina Hurricanes
13-24-7
5-4-1
Definitely a slightly tougher draw now than in the first couple months of the season
Edmonton Oilers
16-23-5
1-8-1
Carolina's moderately improved play is making last overall a distinct possibility

CBS Power Rankings is suggesting the Oilers might be tanking?  What's up with that Keith?

CAR.gif 26 Hurricanes · Trends
Their first two-game win streak since early December finally has the 'Canes at .500. At home, that is.
EDM.gif 30 Oilers · Trends
Lots of scuttlebutt these days about the Oilers tanking it to get a shot at the lottery pick. Would anyone notice if they did?

I don't think the Oilers are tanking, they just suck. Hemsky's already gone for the year and Khabibulin's looking that way too. We have a few other players out but most of them aren't really impact guys.

That said, the Oilers would benefit a whole lot more from a tank than they would trying to make the playoffs at this point. The West is just too tough a conference to even think about it. Not only are they 16 points out of a playoff spot, they're 12 points out of 4th in the division, and 6 points out of 14th. They're better off just having a fire sale and calling it a season at this point.

Closing this thread because it wasn't my intent to upset anyone with it.  My intent was only to lighten things up and poke a little fun at the situation this team finds itself in this season.  This thread wasn't created to convince or change anyone else's opinions, just to add some humor and maybe create a little harmless banter between us and the other teams fans in the same position.

As of today, 1/13/10, the Canes still hold the 30th spot...for now.

small.png    Canes   Points - 35    GP - 45 -  playing better but the hole is a deep one  

small.png    Oilers    Points - 37     GP - 45 - falling fast and they just lost their goaltender for the season

small.png    Leafs     Points - 39     GP - 47 - we have some real competition here

Still keeping a close eye on:

small.png   Panthers   Points - 45     GP - 43 - keep a close eye on them since the Panthers are well known for their late season collapses

small.png   BlueJackets    Points - 45     GP - 48 - they're playing much better lately so look for them to come off this prestigious list soon

small.png  Lightning    Points - 46     GP - 45 - need to keep a close eye on the Lightning, they're trending downward

some newcomers:

small.png  Blues   Points - 45     GP - 45 - welcome to the party

small.png  Thrashers   Points - 46   GP -45  -  if they lose Kovy, look for them into move to the top group

Come on Oil, pick up Biron and save your season! The Leafs are the real competition, as usual, even without the incentive of having their 1st round pick next draft.

[quote name=JLP]Come on Oil, pick up Biron and save your season! The Leafs are the real competition, as usual, even without the incentive of having their 1st round pick next draft.I'm pretty sure theres plenty of incentive for the Leafs not to let the Bruins get the #1 pick.  Or their 2nd pick or the 1st pick for next year either ohmy.gif

We are in serious trouble.

With only a 2 point lead on the Oil for the last spot, we are 5-4-1 over the last 10, on a 3 game winning streak. 

The Oil has dropped 2 in a row and has an abysmal 1-8-1 record over the last 10. 

Likewise, we have a 4 point lead on Toronto, but we have 2 games in hand, and the Leafs are 2-7-1 in the last 10, dropping 4 straight including a crucial head to head with the Canes.

I have faith that the Detroit game tonight will get us back on the losing track, but I have a feeling that the Leafs and Oil are far more dedicated to losing than the 'Canes.

We are in serious trouble.

With only a 2 point lead on the Oil for the last spot, we are 5-4-1 over the last 10, on a 3 game winning streak. 

The Oil has dropped 2 in a row and has an abysmal 1-8-1 record over the last 10. 

Likewise, we have a 4 point lead on Toronto, but we have 2 games in hand, and the Leafs are 2-7-1 in the last 10, dropping 4 straight including a crucial head to head with the Canes.

I have faith that the Detroit game tonight will get us back on the losing track, but I have a feeling that the Leafs and Oil are far more dedicated to losing than the 'Canes.

Agree. For crying out loud that win in Toronto was not what we needed. If we start winning on the road the first pick is gone, and we will just start moving down the draft board. Why start Cam? He sort of stole that game. Every loss counts.

The Oilers appear much more committed to sucking. They also have a tougher conference. This won't be easy and winning road games is not helping.