The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Race for the #1 pick in 2010!

Remkin, if it makes you feel any better the Canes have never won in Joe Louis arena......never.

To counter that point, before this year, the Oilers last regulation win in Detroit came in 2000, a span of 9 years. And we play there twice a year. I think you have a chance. happy.gif

Speaking of tough games, the Oilers face the Penguins tonight. I like the Canes' chances a lot more than my hapless Oilers right now.

We are in serious trouble.

With only a 2 point lead on the Oil for the last spot, we are 5-4-1 over the last 10, on a 3 game winning streak. 

The Oil has dropped 2 in a row and has an abysmal 1-8-1 record over the last 10. 

Likewise, we have a 4 point lead on Toronto, but we have 2 games in hand, and the Leafs are 2-7-1 in the last 10, dropping 4 straight including a crucial head to head with the Canes.

I have faith that the Detroit game tonight will get us back on the losing track, but I have a feeling that the Leafs and Oil are far more dedicated to losing than the 'Canes.

LOL like the humor in an abysmal season

the committ to not win just isn't as strong for canes now, looks like the oilers are much more committed now : )

The Oil is in San Jose today for a 4 o'clock puck drop.  By the way, the Sharks are the #2 team in the league.  We are at home for a late night game against the Thrashers who, as usual, have found themselves near the bottom of the standings.  Since we enter this game 2 points behind the Oil, we could see a change in that number today.  We could be tied for 29th at the end of the day.

The Oil is in San Jose today for a 4 o'clock puck drop.  By the way, the Sharks are the #2 team in the league.  We are at home for a late night game against the Thrashers who, as usual, have found themselves near the bottom of the standings.  Since we enter this game 2 points behind the Oil, we could see a change in that number today.  We could be tied for 29th at the end of the day.

I'd be very surprised if the Oil won today....

And it really gets no better from here.

@Sharks, @Avs, vs. Canucks, Vs. Stars, Vs. Blackhawks, vs. Blues, Vs. Flames.

Only the Stars and Blues are currently not in a playoff position for those games.

I'd be very surprised if the Oil won today....

And it really gets no better from here.

@Sharks, @Avs, vs. Canucks, Vs. Stars, Vs. Blackhawks, vs. Blues, Vs. Flames.

Only the Stars and Blues are currently not in a playoff position for those games.

I hate to admit it, but you'll probably pull ahead (behind) over the rest of January. Our best hope will be February and March. Could be close at the end.

Keith while finishing last gives you analmost 48% of that first pick, we can STILL "snatch victory from the jaws of multiple,multiple losses", by winning the lottery, no matter the final order..

The Draft Drawing for the 2010 NHL Amateur Entry Draft. It will be aired on TV on TSN in Canada and Versus in the US. At this time the Draft Order will be set, and those teams who did not make the playoffs will find out if they have moved up or down in the order.

Teams can only move up 4 spots maximum (ie. only the top 5 teams have a shot at winning the lottery) and drop no more than 1 spot. So whoever finishes last has a 48.2% off winning the draft lottery.

So while the oilers putting together an impressive run of crappy hockey, the fat lady will not be signing for along time

Teams can only move up 4 spots maximum (ie. only the top 5 teams have a shot at winning the lottery) and drop no more than 1 spot. So whoever finishes last has a 48.2% off winning the draft lottery.

Odds of Winning the First Overall Pick

48.1% - last

18.8% - 2nd worse

14.2% - 3rd

10.7% - 4th

8.1% - 5th

The 2010 NHL Draft Lottery Odds are listed below.

25.0% - last place team 

18.8% - 2nd to last

14.2% - 3rd

10.7% - 4th

8.1% - 5th

6.2% - 6th

4.7% - 7th

3.6% - 8th

2.7% - 9th

2.1% - 10th

1.5% - 11th

1.1% - 12th

0.8% - 13th

0.5% - 14th

*edited for trolling*

Well folks, I've finally succumbed to the dark side.  Count me in on the "stupid" side.  You can even slap me silly and call me a moron! 

Brovski - I tried this approach the other night and it really doesn't work too well.

Losing to win, as much as I hate to admit it, is the best thing for this franchise right now.  There, I said it.  I hate losing more than anything or anybody, but last night I threw up my arms.  Y'all are right.  Is their room for one more on the bench? 

*edited for trolling*

Well there are a lot of things about this year's effort that look bad, but the fans (especially the uber-fans on this board) are not one of them.

I fully understand the "try to win every game every time" mentality. In fact the players must do this. But long term fans, looking beyond the next game, realize that adding a marque superstar to this team would be like, well like winning the lottery.

It's been said you need 4 All Stars to go deep into the playoffs. If the Canes can dump enough salary to pick up just one first line scorer from the free agency market, then land a top 2 pick, we would have 4 all stars right there, and we would have 3 of them locked up long term, so even if we eventually lost our free agent we just need to pick up one to replace that one guy. Add that to a pretty decent core and some promising young talent and we would be quickly turned around for the next several years and with a lot of young players. Imagine the Canes now with Staal and Crosby or Staal and Ovechkin or Staal and Nash or you get the idea. Teams rarely get shots at that level of elite player and they rarely get traded.

If, on the other hand, we put together some winning ways, and we drop to the middle of the draft we can still find a diamond in the rough, but it gets more dicey. Much less proven, and far more likely to be a solid player than an elite player. And we lose our shot at the superstar for what?

A few more wins in a lousy season? What kind of GM would make that trade off?

Absolute facts:

We are not making the playoffs.

JR is blowing this team up.

These are happening as sure as the sun coming up.

So choice 1: win as many games as possible. Miss the playoffs. Miserable season. Mid round pick.

choice 2: lose as many games as necessary. Miss the playoffs. Miserable season. Add an elite superstar to watch for years to come.

Those are the choices. There are no other choices. The choice is so obvious even a moron could understand it.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

brovski25']*edited for trolling*

Well folks, I've finally succumbed to the dark side.  Count me in on the "stupid" side.  You can even slap me silly and call me a moron! 

Brovski - I tried this approach the other night and it really doesn't work too well.

Losing to win, as much as I hate to admit it, is the best thing for this franchise right now.  There, I said it.  I hate losing more than anything or anybody, but last night I threw up my arms.  Y'all are right.  Is their room for one more on the bench? 

No pain, no gain. Welcome to the light. Soon all will see.

Greetings Caniacs. 

I am an Edmonton Oiler fan. You caused us a lot of pain a few years ago! I remember sitting drunk, in an embrace with my brother in front of our local pub in tears after you won game 7. That is a position no man should ever be in. 

Please don't hurt us again! You guys need to start winning. In the spirit of fairness, give us last place. We did give you Pitkanen back - we're sorry, we shouldn't of taken him in the first place. And you have Cole back too! I'll promise to do what I can to make sure that the Blue Jays never win a World Series again...I know some guys. (Baseball is your national sport, right?)

In fact, you guys wouldn't want Taylor Hall anyway. Everyone in Canada knows everyone, you guys have heard that, right? Well, I have some inside information on Taylor Hall for you that might make you rethink your 'Fall for Hall': He seems like a nice, normal Canadian boy on the outside, but he suffers from a debilitating disease - as do many Canadians - that keep us confined north of the 49th parallel; it's called 'Reverse-Reynauds'. (You guys didn't think we lived up here for fun, did you?)

What happens with Reverse-Reynauds is when a person is subjected to a warm climate for a prolonged period, the blood vessels in the hands and feet become distended and take on a scarlet red, puffy appearance and basically compress the nerves of the affected appendages creating what can best be described as hands-of-stone, and pylon-like skating and playmaking ability. 

So due to Hall's Reverse-Reynauds, I don't think he would be a very good fit for your hockey team. Plus, he has that drug habit, and he is schizophrenic (mild case, easily controlled), and he steals. But the Edmonton Oilers are willing to do you a favour and take him off your hands for you despite all his character flaws. 

Why? Because at least he will be able to play hockey here. Our climate does not promote the progression of Reverse-Reynauds, in fact, I don't know if you heard or not, but about a month ago, Edmonton was the coldest spot on the planet at -46 Celsius and -58.4 Celsius with the wind-chill (sorry, I don't know what that converts to in American, but trust me, it's cold).

All you need to do is win a few games, and it won't take many! The Oilers will keep up our end of the bargain - a pathetic downward spiral that no sports fan should ever have to endure. I'm so sure of it at this point, I am willing to speak for the entire Oiler's organization: we will continue to lose hockey games. So please Carolina, listen to reason and win some games. In Edmonton, we've tried everything short of sacrificing virgins to the hockey gods - and that gets messy. So please don't make us resort to such drastic measures. 

Sincerely,
A Distressed Oiler Fan

Ugh. Don't even mention Game 7. That was the last time I cried. And any reference to it usually chokes me up.

With the Oilers luck they'll end up losing the lottery anyway.

Ugggh, I know. I'm sorry I brought it up.

Greetings Caniacs. 

I am an Edmonton Oiler fan. You caused us a lot of pain a few years ago! I remember sitting drunk, in an embrace with my brother in front of our local pub in tears after you won game 7. That is a position no man should ever be in. 

Please don't hurt us again! You guys need to start winning. In the spirit of fairness, give us last place. We did give you Pitkanen back - we're sorry, we shouldn't of taken him in the first place. And you have Cole back too! I'll promise to do what I can to make sure that the Blue Jays never win a World Series again...I know some guys. (Baseball is your national sport, right?)

In fact, you guys wouldn't want Taylor Hall anyway. Everyone in Canada knows everyone, you guys have heard that, right? Well, I have some inside information on Taylor Hall for you that might make you rethink your 'Fall for Hall': He seems like a nice, normal Canadian boy on the outside, but he suffers from a debilitating disease - as do many Canadians - that keep us confined north of the 49th parallel; it's called 'Reverse-Reynauds'. (You guys didn't think we lived up here for fun, did you?)

What happens with Reverse-Reynauds is when a person is subjected to a warm climate for a prolonged period, the blood vessels in the hands and feet become distended and take on a scarlet red, puffy appearance and basically compress the nerves of the affected appendages creating what can best be described as hands-of-stone, and pylon-like skating and playmaking ability. 

So due to Hall's Reverse-Reynauds, I don't think he would be a very good fit for your hockey team. Plus, he has that drug habit, and he is schizophrenic (mild case, easily controlled), and he steals. But the Edmonton Oilers are willing to do you a favour and take him off your hands for you despite all his character flaws. 

Why? Because at least he will be able to play hockey here. Our climate does not promote the progression of Reverse-Reynauds, in fact, I don't know if you heard or not, but about a month ago, Edmonton was the coldest spot on the planet at -46 Celsius and -58.4 Celsius with the wind-chill (sorry, I don't know what that converts to in American, but trust me, it's cold).

All you need to do is win a few games, and it won't take many! The Oilers will keep up our end of the bargain - a pathetic downward spiral that no sports fan should ever have to endure. I'm so sure of it at this point, I am willing to speak for the entire Oiler's organization: we will continue to lose hockey games. So please Carolina, listen to reason and win some games. In Edmonton, we've tried everything short of sacrificing virgins to the hockey gods - and that gets messy. So please don't make us resort to such drastic measures. 

Sincerely,
A Distressed Oiler Fan

Welcome aboard, you too Keith if is hasn't already been said.  I have to hand it to you Oiler fans, you guys are good sports and a pleasure to have around here.  All of the Edmonton fans I met during the SCF's in 06 were great and a ton of fun to get to know.  Some of my best memories from that series were from tailgating out in our parking lots with the visiting Edmonton fans.  There was plenty of good natured trash talk and both fan bases got along great but none of the problems we had with a previous series.

A couple of years back I was lucky enough to get to the All Star game in Atlanta and once again, it was the Edmonton fans in the sports bars that were the most friendly and easiest to get to know.  Although I was told countless times over the weekend that we stole your Cup laugh.gif

Its been a disappointing season for both our teams but at least we're able to keep thing light and find some humor in all this.   Here's to a better season next year for both the Canes and the Oilers, I wouldn't mind another playoff series with the Edmonton fans. 

That said, the official "Fall for Hall" is on......Connie_threaten.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

edmguy25']Greetings Caniacs. 

Sincerely,
A Distressed Oiler Fan

Welcome aboard, you too Keith if is hasn't already been said.  I have to hand it to you Oiler fans, you guys are good sports and a pleasure to have around here.  All of the Edmonton fans I met during the SCF's in 06 were great and a ton of fun to get to know.  Some of my best memories from that series were from tailgating out in our parking lots with the visiting Edmonton fans.  There was plenty of good natured trash talk and both fan bases got along great but none of the problems we had with a previous series.

A couple of years back I was lucky enough to get to the All Star game in Atlanta and once again, it was the Edmonton fans in the sports bars that were the most friendly and easiest to get to know.  Although I was told countless times over the weekend that we stole your Cup laugh.gif

Its been a disappointing season for both our teams but at least we're able to keep thing light and find some humor in all this.   Here's to a better season next year for both the Canes and the Oilers, I wouldn't mind another playoff series with the Edmonton fans. 

That said, the official "Fall for Hall" is on......Connie_threaten.gif

Lol, damn, I thought I would of scared you away from him! And thank you for the welcome to the board.

I'm glad we Edmontonians have some good diplomats out there...you cup theives! I hope we both do have a better season to look forward to next year. I guess it couldn't get much worse. Here's to another Canes/Oil final next year! I want a re-match.