The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Race for the #1 pick in 2010!

Yeah, given the Oilers luck lately, that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Still, you guys got the Cup, we'll take the 1st overall pick. I think that's a very fair trade.

Nothing beats a CUP!... that is worth a decade of smiles... each time think about it.. or gettting a few chances that Summer to hang with it at different parties and one bar.. just a great experience, i'd never trade for anything

Greetings Caniacs. 

I am an Edmonton Oiler fan. You caused us a lot of pain a few years ago! I remember sitting drunk, in an embrace with my brother in front of our local pub in tears after you won game 7. That is a position no man should ever be in. 

Please don't hurt us again! You guys need to start winning. In the spirit of fairness, give us last place. We did give you Pitkanen back - we're sorry, we shouldn't of taken him in the first place. And you have Cole back too! I'll promise to do what I can to make sure that the Blue Jays never win a World Series again...I know some guys. (Baseball is your national sport, right?)

In fact, you guys wouldn't want Taylor Hall anyway. Everyone in Canada knows everyone, you guys have heard that, right? Well, I have some inside information on Taylor Hall for you that might make you rethink your 'Fall for Hall': He seems like a nice, normal Canadian boy on the outside, but he suffers from a debilitating disease - as do many Canadians - that keep us confined north of the 49th parallel; it's called 'Reverse-Reynauds'. (You guys didn't think we lived up here for fun, did you?)

What happens with Reverse-Reynauds is when a person is subjected to a warm climate for a prolonged period, the blood vessels in the hands and feet become distended and take on a scarlet red, puffy appearance and basically compress the nerves of the affected appendages creating what can best be described as hands-of-stone, and pylon-like skating and playmaking ability. 

So due to Hall's Reverse-Reynauds, I don't think he would be a very good fit for your hockey team. Plus, he has that drug habit, and he is schizophrenic (mild case, easily controlled), and he steals. But the Edmonton Oilers are willing to do you a favour and take him off your hands for you despite all his character flaws. 

Why? Because at least he will be able to play hockey here. Our climate does not promote the progression of Reverse-Reynauds, in fact, I don't know if you heard or not, but about a month ago, Edmonton was the coldest spot on the planet at -46 Celsius and -58.4 Celsius with the wind-chill (sorry, I don't know what that converts to in American, but trust me, it's cold).

All you need to do is win a few games, and it won't take many! The Oilers will keep up our end of the bargain - a pathetic downward spiral that no sports fan should ever have to endure. I'm so sure of it at this point, I am willing to speak for the entire Oiler's organization: we will continue to lose hockey games. So please Carolina, listen to reason and win some games. In Edmonton, we've tried everything short of sacrificing virgins to the hockey gods - and that gets messy. So please don't make us resort to such drastic measures. 

Sincerely,
A Distressed Oiler Fan

LOL  'Reverse-Reynauds'.. I Like it!! and welcome.. the race is on!!

The edmonton fans were great here in 2006, and a real attribute to hockey "good will", and had a blast tailgating with them and explaining the finer points of bar-b-que..: )

Rumor has it Janet is placing a few sly bets on edmonton for last..   smile.gif

Greetings Caniacs. 

I am an Edmonton Oiler fan. You caused us a lot of pain a few years ago! I remember sitting drunk, in an embrace with my brother in front of our local pub in tears after you won game 7. That is a position no man should ever be in. 

Please don't hurt us again! You guys need to start winning. In the spirit of fairness, give us last place. We did give you Pitkanen back - we're sorry, we shouldn't of taken him in the first place. And you have Cole back too! I'll promise to do what I can to make sure that the Blue Jays never win a World Series again...I know some guys. (Baseball is your national sport, right?)

In fact, you guys wouldn't want Taylor Hall anyway. Everyone in Canada knows everyone, you guys have heard that, right? Well, I have some inside information on Taylor Hall for you that might make you rethink your 'Fall for Hall': He seems like a nice, normal Canadian boy on the outside, but he suffers from a debilitating disease - as do many Canadians - that keep us confined north of the 49th parallel; it's called 'Reverse-Reynauds'. (You guys didn't think we lived up here for fun, did you?)

What happens with Reverse-Reynauds is when a person is subjected to a warm climate for a prolonged period, the blood vessels in the hands and feet become distended and take on a scarlet red, puffy appearance and basically compress the nerves of the affected appendages creating what can best be described as hands-of-stone, and pylon-like skating and playmaking ability. 

So due to Hall's Reverse-Reynauds, I don't think he would be a very good fit for your hockey team. Plus, he has that drug habit, and he is schizophrenic (mild case, easily controlled), and he steals. But the Edmonton Oilers are willing to do you a favour and take him off your hands for you despite all his character flaws. 

Why? Because at least he will be able to play hockey here. Our climate does not promote the progression of Reverse-Reynauds, in fact, I don't know if you heard or not, but about a month ago, Edmonton was the coldest spot on the planet at -46 Celsius and -58.4 Celsius with the wind-chill (sorry, I don't know what that converts to in American, but trust me, it's cold).

All you need to do is win a few games, and it won't take many! The Oilers will keep up our end of the bargain - a pathetic downward spiral that no sports fan should ever have to endure. I'm so sure of it at this point, I am willing to speak for the entire Oiler's organization: we will continue to lose hockey games. So please Carolina, listen to reason and win some games. In Edmonton, we've tried everything short of sacrificing virgins to the hockey gods - and that gets messy. So please don't make us resort to such drastic measures. 

Sincerely,
A Distressed Oiler Fan

As a Reynaud's sufferer, that's just funny right there.  laugh.gif  Kudos for the whole letter... very entertaining.  Tell you what ... come draft time, we can flip a coin with you to see who gets Taylor and who gets Tyler.  'Cause the Canes are getting one of them.  wink.gif

And another shout out to Oiler fans from me too.  Classy folks, and the two Edmonton fans shaking hands with all of us Caniacs after Game 7 as we left the arena is an indelible memory. 

But, we're fighting for Taylor.  Or Tyler. 

Oilers in Colorado to play the Avs today. The Oil have played the Avs well as of late, but that trend may halt tonight.
Season Series: This is the fourth meeting of six between the Oilers and the Avalanche. While the Avs shut out Edmonton in their first matchup on Oct. 27, the Oilers took the last two games, 5-3 on Nov. 8 and 6-4 on Nov. 18. Center Ryan Potulny scored in both wins for Edmonton.

TSN has us both in our rightful spots today:

This Week29Last Week29Carolina Hurricanes 14-26-7

The 'Canes have called up youngsters like Jerome Samson, Drayson Bowman and Zach Boychuk to fill some holes and that trio has combined for one assist in 13 games.

Key Injuries: D Joe Corvo (leg), RW Erik Cole (upper body), LW Sergei Samsonov (upper body), LW Tuomo Ruutu (upper body).

This Week30Last Week30Edmonton Oilers 16-26-5

Sheldon Souray says he's willing to waive his no-trade clause. No word on how many team's are clamouring to pay more than $5-million a season for Souray's minus-15 rating (in 31 games).

Key Injuries: C Mike Comrie (mono), RW Ales Hemsky (shoulder), G Nikolai Khabibulin (back).

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=549

Have you seen the oil play lately, I think we'll have to kick it up a notch if we hope to be worse than they are the rest of the way. I am happy however that Aaron Ward has gotten the memo that we need the top pick, at least he's trying to lose. Someone needs to slip Rosey a note that he should play like he did tonight anymore or he'll get us a mid round pick and that would suck.

Wow I never would have thought the two finalists from 2006 would be battling for #1 pick 4 years later.
True 'dat my friend! BTW, dang your Canes, I thought for sure we were going to have a tie for 30th tonightrolleyes.gif

Did you see the score? 6-0! I don't think we're in any trouble in finishing last this year. We're just BAD.

Wow 6-0?  Way too obvious, geesh.  At least the Canes are making each game look close. The league will be onto you guys soon enough laugh.gif

Very tough week coming up for the Canes:  Flyers, Bruins, Rangers, Isle's and Hawks.  *sigh*

We are just terrible, will getting the #1 pick in the draft will really make any difference. IMO there is no-one that is comming out that would really have much impact on the Canes next year or even the following few years after that. We need so much in every aspect that getting the  1st pick won't do anything for us.Great Hope, but to me it's not a reality!

[quote name=djharley]Does anyone really think that a #1 Draft pick will help the Canes??Yes.  Will it fix everything, no.  Will it be one of the major pieces necessary to rebuilding this team, yes.  If we get it can we expect to win the Cup next season, no.  Rebuilding takes time but getting the 1st overall pick combined with the amount of players leaving this team, and the number of younger highly touted AHLers ready to make the leap, things can come together much quicker than if we drafted lower.   I'd much rather do it this way than go out and blow a huge chunk of the cap on free agents that may or may not live up to their huge contracts

[quote name='TSA wrote:

djharley
']Does anyone really think that a #1 Draft pick will help the Canes??

Yes.  Will it fix everything, no.  Will it be one of the major pieces necessary to rebuilding this team, yes.  If we get it can we expect to win the Cup next season, no.  Rebuilding takes time but getting the 1st overall pick combined with the amount of players leaving this team, and the number of younger highly touted AHLers ready to make the leap, things can come together much quicker than if we drafted lower.   I'd much rather do it this way than go out and blow a huge chunk of the cap on free agents that may or may not live up to their huge contracts

QFT.  Amen. Agree 1000%. cheers.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

djharley

Yes.  Will it fix everything, no.  Will it be one of the major pieces necessary to rebuilding this team, yes.  If we get it can we expect to win the Cup next season, no.  Rebuilding takes time but getting the 1st overall pick combined with the amount of players leaving this team, and the number of younger highly touted AHLers ready to make the leap, things can come together much quicker than if we drafted lower.   I'd much rather do it this way than go out and blow a huge chunk of the cap on free agents that may or may not live up to their huge contracts

I think JR won't be able to get around having to dish out major bucks on the UFA market next year. There is far too much wrong with the Canes this year to think that a #1 overall, who may not even turn pro next year, and a couple of Rats are going to improve this team enough in the short term. Even if our #1 gets a couple of NHL games to show his worth, as much as I would like to I just can't see him making enough of an impact to replace someone the likes of Whitney, Cullen or even Sammy should they get traded and not come back. I don't know what the overall expectations are, but aside from maybe Sutter or Tlusty, I can't see any of the other Rats being able to produce enough either. There is no way that collective 4 goals, 7 assists and a -7 in 59 games is going to cut it or help to make the playoffs.  

[quote name='krad wrote:

TSA
wrote:

djharley

I think JR won't be able to get around having to dish out major bucks on the UFA market next year. There is far too much wrong with the Canes this year to think that a #1 overall, who may not even turn pro next year, and a couple of Rats are going to improve this team enough in the short term. Even if our #1 gets a couple of NHL games to show his worth, as much as I would like to I just can't see him making enough of an impact to replace someone the likes of Whitney, Cullen or even Sammy should they get traded and not come back. I don't know what the overall expectations are, but aside from maybe Sutter or Tlusty, I can't see any of the other Rats being able to produce enough either. There is no way that collective 4 goals, 7 assists and a -7 in 59 games is going to cut it or help to make the playoffs.  While I agree with most of what you're saying, I don't think its fair to evaluate the total contribution of the Rats this season based on the numbers alone because they're still playing with the same veteran core that helped get us into this mess.  Things could look a very different with a  rebuilt defense and some consistent structure to the line up.  I think we can see some individual talent but are these guys really getting a full opportunity with constantly changing line mates, and in some cases, limited ice time.  Lets see what they can do when each one has their role defined and has the time and chance to settle in.  It won't be this year. 

Most draft pics,#1 or #10 or #20 usually take years to get to the NHL level. That is why IMO we really should't be worring about getting the top draft pic. We have so many areas that need to be looked at,that putting our efforts or (lack there of) into a unproven very young player is just crazy. If we were close to being a compettative team and we were missing that 1 link,then yes but with all the areas that need work it will be years before a #1 pick would be able to make any imapct at all.

Most draft pics,#1 or #10 or #20 usually take years to get to the NHL level. That is why IMO we really should't be worring about getting the top draft pic. We have so many areas that need to be looked at,that putting our efforts or (lack there of) into a unproven very young player is just crazy. If we were close to being a compettative team and we were missing that 1 link,then yes but with all the areas that need work it will be years before a #1 pick would be able to make any imapct at all.

Not so sure about that DJ, I was going to list the ones that made their big clubs right after being drafted and decided it would just be easier to post the link.  I stopped counting at 12 but the list goes on.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/4768801

I think DJ may be looking at tampa bay and seeing that it will take a while to turn around a team with high draft picks, they are an exception to the rule that good players will make a good team.  Look at what Tavares and the islanders have done this year as compared to last. I think that with the team that we have coming back next year, devoid of aaron ward, wallin and brindamour, among many others I'm sure, I think a Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin would be a huge addition to what we already have.  Everyone has been talking about a big time winger, well there ya go.  Here's to coming in last in the league and enjoying the excitement of another off season of mysteries.  And also the Blackhawks are taking on bandwagon fans if anyone wants to jump on, this is their year.

Oh boy, our Edmonton friends will like this one from The Hockey News.  They're ranked at #30: 

Edmonton Oilers
16-26-5
1-8-1
To borrow a line from Kramer after his skin had been exposed to excessive cigar smoke: "Look away, I'm hideous."

They have the Canes ranked at 27th.  They must not have seen the last couple of games:

Carolina Hurricanes
14-26-7
5-4-1
Joni Pitkanen leads the league in ice time with 27 minutes per game and is a big reason for the Canes' improved play

And from ESPN, they dont disappoint with their take on the bottom 3:

car.gif 28 (28) Hurricanes 14-26-7 When the does the sell-off of unrestricted free agents begin?
tor.gif 29 (29) Maple Leafs 16-24-9 Absolutely brutal in Washington on Friday night.
edm.gif 30 (30) Oilers 14-26-7 Aiming for the most balls in the draft lottery.