The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Race for the #1 pick in 2010!

Oilers just threw a point away. You can't beat us, Canes fans. YOU CAN'T BEAT US.
While had Hopes we could, the passion and committment to stinking in oilerland HAS been much more impressive these last few weeks, and my hope is falling.. though as a long as end up #2 i'll not be heartbroken at all, just want to make sure we don't fall further than that  : )

The Canes are keeping pace and making it interesting all at the same time.  I watched that Edmonton game last night Keith....yikes.   Talk about a heart breaker.  The Oilers can't lose forever...right?  This is going to be a a hard fought battle for sure.

[quote name='dogbutler wrote:

Keith_The_Great']Oilers just threw a point away. You can't beat us, Canes fans. YOU CAN'T BEAT US.

We beat you to the top in 2006, we'll beat you to the bottom in 2010.

Now that's a classic!

Getting cocky, eh? Well we have the Blackhawks next, so I don't think we'll be picking up any points in that game.
No kidding Keith, the Hawks got HAMMERED by the Canuckleheads Saturday night so they will be super pi$$ed! I smell a loss of indecent proportions coming upsmokin.gif

The Canes are keeping pace and making it interesting all at the same time.  I watched that Edmonton game last night Keith....yikes.   Talk about a heart breaker.  The Oilers can't lose forever...right?  This is going to be a a hard fought battle for sure.
The Oilers can't lose forever? You are probably right but we sure as heck can lose for the rest of 2010!

Our leaders are so good at losing that they will singlehandedly lead us to Hall.

Don't be fooled by all these Oiler fans creeping in here. Oh sure they seem nice. But under that friendly veneer lies an evil desire, a desire for our #1 pick. It is clear that they want it bad, maybe even more than we do. We must fight the temptation to feel sorry for them. We must hold the line. It will not be easy. But strengthen your resolve Caniacs! We must persevere.

Plus they had the #1 pick of all time, while we have never had the #1 pick. So there.

We will never surrender!

Don't be fooled by all these Oiler fans creeping in here. Oh sure they seem nice. But under that friendly veneer lies an evil desire, a desire for our #1 pick. It is clear that they want it bad, maybe even more than we do. We must fight the temptation to feel sorry for them. We must hold the line. It will not be easy. But strengthen your resolve Caniacs! We must persevere.

Plus they had the #1 pick of all time, while we have never had the #1 pick. So there.

We will never surrender!

We actually never drafted Gretzky. He was sold to us.

Rookie Goalies, Lots of Giveaways by our Defensemen, Underperforming Forwards (except Penner), Frustrated Head Coach, Fans Cheering for tanking. Sounds like us Oilers fan will get to witness a 1st overall draft pick. Plus we have Captain Ethan Moreau, no other captain in the NHL will promise to lead you to Taylor Hall like he does, nobody.

Could a thread make me laugh any harder??  No way!!!!  This is the most hysterical thing I've seen in a while.

Pssst........hey Edmonton, your losing streak has to come to an end sooner or later.  You don't want everyone else thinking your tanking on purpose or anything.  wink.gif

^ Unfortunately, I think you're right. Rutherford needs to move some of these guys TODAY or they could end up going on a streak and playing .700 hockey. Finishing the season in 10th place in the East would be a catastrophe unless Rutherford somehow manages to wrangle that Toronto 1st rounder from Boston.

Our only hope is a trade to Boston for Toronto's pick...we're playing really well and with Cole, Ruutu and Corvo on the way back, I think we can only get better. That of course, fits right into my plan so we can get Teemu Pulkkinen and/or Mikael Granlund to add to our Finnish Mafia.

Our only hope is a trade to Boston for Toronto's pick...we're playing really well and with Cole, Ruutu and Corvo on the way back, I think we can only get better. That of course, fits right into my plan so we can get Teemu Pulkkinen and/or Mikael Granlund to add to our Finnish Mafia.

Won't happen. With Toronto's pick they are almost garanteed a top-five pick and if they keep dropping games like they have been they could luck out getting two top-fives.

[quote name='krad wrote:

Law-Dawg']Our only hope is a trade to Boston for Toronto's pick...we're playing really well and with Cole, Ruutu and Corvo on the way back, I think we can only get better. That of course, fits right into my plan so we can get Teemu Pulkkinen and/or Mikael Granlund to add to our Finnish Mafia.

Won't happen. With Toronto's pick they are almost garanteed a top-five pick and if they keep dropping games like they have been they could luck out getting two top-fives.

Boston could keep TO's but trade their own 1st rounder....just saying.

Finnish Mafia... I like it laugh.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

krad wrote:

Law-Dawg']Our only hope is a trade to Boston for Toronto's pick...we're playing really well and with Cole, Ruutu and Corvo on the way back, I think we can only get better. That of course, fits right into my plan so we can get Teemu Pulkkinen and/or Mikael Granlund to add to our Finnish Mafia.

Boston could keep TO's but trade their own 1st rounder....just saying.

Finnish Mafia... I like it laugh.gif

I think that is the only realistic scenario.  No way does Boston give up Toronto's pick for a rental.  They gave up their top scorer for that pick and I think the fans would go ballistic and I would not blame them.  If that pick is traded, it's going for something more substantial and for someone they know they can resign - like Kovalchuk.

And regarding the #1 pick.  Since only 4 of 13 last place teams have actually won the lottery and it has happened he past two years, I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that is saying it is not happening this year.  I'm not sure what would be worse for each teams respective fans:  the Canes finishing 30th and not getting the 1st pick for the 2nd time or Edmonton finishing 30th and losing it to Carolina.  I think if the latter were to happen, we would have to send volunteers out to Edmonton to talk some folks off ledges especially after "taking the cup away from them". smile.gif

Now this is what we want to be hearing from Edmonton: (THN-canadian press)

Oilers centre Shawn Horcoff not interested in lottery pick, wants to win games

EDMONTON - While fans of the Edmonton Oilers debate the merits of finishing in a bottom-five lottery pick position versus doing something now to boost the fortunes of a team in 30th place, Shawn Horcoff can't get on board with the worse-is-better argument.

Horcoff, who has struggled as mightily on a personal level as the Oilers have in dropping to dead-last in NHL standings with Carolina's 5-1 win over Boston on Sunday, isn't worried about the lottery.

Of course, many fans are suggesting Horcoff already hit the lottery with his latest contract, a six-year extension worth US$33 million. Horcoff will earn $7 million this season and is a $5.5-million salary cap hit.

When a team has won just once in its last 18 games, as the Oilers have with a 1-15-2 record as they prepare to face the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday, money, like potential prime draft picks, doesn't necessarily mean happiness.

Just ask Horcoff.

"Pride-wise, it's not so much where you finish," Horcoff said. "It's the fact you want to win. We're all professionals here.

"The reason you play the game is because you want to win. It's the feeling you get from winning hockey games."

Full Article

HAAAAA......

29 Carolina 51 16 28 7 39 132 172 11-12-3 5-16-4 5-5-0 Won 1
30 Edmonton 50 16 28 6 38 133 172 9-14-4 7-14-2 0-8-2 Lost 1

TAKE THAT winners! We rule at suckinglaugh.gifroll.gif

BTW, as far as the debate about finishing 30th not garaunteeing 1st pick,  if another team was to win the lotto pick, the last place team would get to pick second wouldn't they? I think the Oilers would still be pretty happy with a 2nd or even 3rd pick.

Now this is what we want to be hearing from Edmonton: (THN-canadian press)

Oilers centre Shawn Horcoff not interested in lottery pick, wants to win games

EDMONTON - While fans of the Edmonton Oilers debate the merits of finishing in a bottom-five lottery pick position versus doing something now to boost the fortunes of a team in 30th place, Shawn Horcoff can't get on board with the worse-is-better argument.

Horcoff, who has struggled as mightily on a personal level as the Oilers have in dropping to dead-last in NHL standings with Carolina's 5-1 win over Boston on Sunday, isn't worried about the lottery.

Of course, many fans are suggesting Horcoff already hit the lottery with his latest contract, a six-year extension worth US$33 million. Horcoff will earn $7 million this season and is a $5.5-million salary cap hit.

When a team has won just once in its last 18 games, as the Oilers have with a 1-15-2 record as they prepare to face the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday, money, like potential prime draft picks, doesn't necessarily mean happiness.

Just ask Horcoff.

"Pride-wise, it's not so much where you finish," Horcoff said. "It's the fact you want to win. We're all professionals here.

"The reason you play the game is because you want to win. It's the feeling you get from winning hockey games."

Full Article

Horcoff?!? This guy is one of the worst players we have and has actually cost us games.

Look you guys are about to go on a roll , Ward is playing well and your new captain will lead you out of the basement , our inept team has no end in sight to their losing ways.... not really happy about it but in the long run it is good for us.

BTW, as far as the debate about finishing 30th not garaunteeing 1st pick,  if another team was to win the lotto pick, the last place team would get to pick second wouldn't they? I think the Oilers would still be pretty happy with a 2nd or even 3rd pick.

Yes, the 30th place team is guaranteed at least a top 2 pick.  BUT and we can speak from experience, after having this type of season, not hearing your team's name called as the lottery winner for that first pick feels like a turn of the knife in your back. 

1st overall, whatever.  It would certainly be nice to get the 1st overall pick, or even the 2nd or 3rd, but I would like our team to come by it honestly.  I would rather see these guys play hard every night, even if it means we end up finishing like 10th in the conference.  I'm sure that isn't the popular view, but these guys are pros and I like to see people earn their pay.  Lately, they've been doing that.