The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Race for the #1 pick in 2010!

1st overall, whatever.  It would certainly be nice to get the 1st overall pick, or even the 2nd or 3rd, but I would like our team to come by it honestly.  I would rather see these guys play hard every night, even if it means we end up finishing like 10th in the conference.  I'm sure that isn't the popular view, but these guys are pros and I like to see people earn their pay.  Lately, they've been doing that.

I do not think you would find many people, if anybody, who wants the team to lose intentionally or believe any team or player would.  Losing intentionally is not the topic of this thread. 

I feel after watching the last 3 Oilers games that they are not playing to lose, they've been in all those games; just don't have the firepower to score enough with Hemsky & Comrie out. We are a one dimensional scoring threat for the most part. Not too hard for opponents to shut the Oil down when they only have to contain Gagner, Penner,& O'Sullivan eyes.gif  Therefore it makes it easier to watch the games because they give you a few goals to cheer about but you know in the end it'll be a loss anyway so no point in getting too excited.

Of course the Oilers had no business beating the Blackhawks, but they were at home and one would think they'd have to get at least one surprise win. All in all got'ta be impressed with the Oiler's commitment to losing. Toronto is making a nice effort also.

Last 10 games:

Oilers 0-8-2 can't do much better than that

Leafs 2-7-1 respectable

Canes 5-5-0 to those who think .500 the rest of the way gets it done, clearly not.

On a positive note, the Oilers should have a shot at home against the Blues (though the Blues are 6-3-1 last 10), then Calgary who is in a funk, then....wait for it....the Hurricanes.

We have face an ornery NYR team in their buiding (they've lost 3 straight) then a back to back vs a rested NYI team on the rise that is coming off a spanking by Washington, then a long jet lag inducing voyage to Edmonton.

That could be a 6 point swing to us. Then again the Oilers really are this bad, I'm not sure we are.

Considering the last time the Blues visited Edmonton they beat us down 7-2 I don't like our chances.

As for the Flames, well we're 0-4-1 against them this year, so I don't like our chances there either.

I don't think we're winning a game this month.

We have face an ornery NYR team in their buiding (they've lost 3 straight) then a back to back vs a rested NYI team on the rise that is coming off a spanking by Washington, then a long jet lag inducing voyage to Edmonton.

That could be a 6 point swing to us. Then again the Oilers really are this bad, I'm not sure we are.

You forgot about  the Blackhawks on Saturday... could be a bad (or good?) week for us.  Although I do agree that I'm not sure we are that bad ... and we seem to be doing our patented 2nd half resurgence.

Geesh, the Oilers don't even look like they're trying.  That's not fair tongue.gif

J/K , actually I think its just the opposite.  I watched part of that game last night and when the Hawks scored fast and early, I thought for sure the Oilers would mail it in but they didn't.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the final score was 4-2 when I checked this morning.   Edmonton is where we were a few weeks back,  finding new a creative ways to lose.  Maybe we should have a vote between the two fan bases as to which of all the losses was the most creative of all.  We have quite a few to choose from between the two teams.

Wow, looks like the 'Canes are starting to roll !!!!! Another week of that kind of hockey & you guys will be out of the bottom 3grin.gif.  In all seriousness(?) maybe Staal as captain bodes well for the future of the 'Canes.

this is all a mute point, canes are playing well where they will no way be  last in league...  so taylor hall or whoever this phenom is  will be elsewhere..

Edmonton is where we were a few weeks back,  finding new a creative ways to lose.  Maybe we should have a vote between the two fan bases as to which of all the losses was the most creative of all.  We have quite a few to choose from between the two teams.

No question in my mind:  leading 4-1 with 10 minutes left to play, at home, against Atlanta, and losing 6-4.  I don't know that it was so much creative as cringe-inducing.  But really... that was just sick.gif.

Again, I see that we are revving up our 2nd half resurgence, so I'm preparing for losing the #1 pick.  That's ok though -  I really do like seeing us win. smile.gif

[quote name='Proud2BCaniac wrote:

TSA']Edmonton is where we were a few weeks back,  finding new a creative ways to lose.  Maybe we should have a vote between the two fan bases as to
which of all the losses was the most creative of all.
  We have quite a few to choose from between the two teams.

No question in my mind:  leading 4-1 with 10 minutes left to play, at home, against Atlanta, and losing 6-4.  I don't know that it was so much creative as cringe-inducing.  But really... that was just sick.gif.

Again, I see that we are revving up our 2nd half resurgence, so I'm preparing for losing the #1 pick.  That's ok though -  I really do like seeing us win. smile.gif

I wouldn't support too much of a surge unless they are going peddle to the metal for last playoff spot like Colorado did a couple seasons ago. I can't imagine anything worse than having a team (like the Oil) who is obviously in dire need of a complete overhaul finishing 25th-20th place this year. At least 26th-27th still puts the team in the lottery, & finishing 19th-17th gives the club some respectability & something to build on for next year.

[quote name='Proud2BCaniac wrote:

TSA']Edmonton is where we were a few weeks back,  finding new a creative ways to lose.  Maybe we should have a vote between the two fan bases as to
which of all the losses was the most creative of all.
  We have quite a few to choose from between the two teams.

That game, and the one against Philly realy early on stand out in my mind.  Can't remember the details but I just remeber it was heart wrenching.

[quote name=Keith_The_Great]Oilers host Blues, Canes host the Isles.

We might be saying "Sayonara" to the Canes before the end of the night. Then we'll be all alone in dead last with room to spare.The Canes are looking ALOT better lately but my benchmark will be the Sat game against the Blackhawks.  They're the team to beat this year with speed, defense and tons of offense, lets see how we stack up to them.  If the Canes can stay with them for 60 minutes (even if they still lose), I have a feeling the "Fall for Hall" will be a distant memory here and young Mr. Hall will be wearing Edmonton Oiler blue.

JR needs to pull the trigger on some of these vets for picks trades. Moving up and getting a mid-round pick is senseless. OK maybe we can't suck as bad as the Oilers, but we can come in 29th. Cam has the win record already, get Manny in there. Stop the madness.

I still have faith that even if we come in 26th, which would be a tremendous feet looking at the standings, we will still win the lottery and get the number 1 pick. So sit back and enjoy the wins while we have some to enjoy and we will be having a wonderful draft party in June.

JR needs to pull the trigger on some of these vets for picks trades. Moving up and getting a mid-round pick is senseless. OK maybe we can't suck as bad as the Oilers, but we can come in 29th. Cam has the win record already, get Manny in there. Stop the madness.
Relax, remkin.  You know that Whitney and Cullen won't be traded until the last minute on March 3rd to maximize their return.

Most of the potential trading partners are successful teams that are up against the cap.  If they acquire Whitney on March 3rd,

he has a pro-rated cap hit of $710K that his new team is responsible for.  If a team acquires him BEFORE the Olympic trading

freeze goes into effect (February 12th at 3pm - Feb. 28th at midnight), Whitney's new team would essentially be paying him *not*

to play - and almost doubling his cap hit.   Obviously, there's not much of a chance of that happening when teams are sending their

AHL'ers down between games so as to save a few dollars of cap money.

What are you guys doing?laugh.gif, you'll overtake the Leafs if you're not careful and lose your chance to take Seguin or Hall.  You need more Legace and less Ward.laugh.gifwink.gif

[quote name='davidrabbit wrote:

remkin']JR needs to pull the trigger on some of these vets for picks trades. Moving up and getting a mid-round pick is senseless. OK maybe we can't suck as bad as the Oilers, but we can come in 29th. Cam has the win record already, get Manny in there. Stop the madness.

Relax, remkin.  You know that Whitney and Cullen won't be traded until the last minute on March 3rd to maximize their return.

Most of the potential trading partners are successful teams that are up against the cap.  If they acquire Whitney on March 3rd,

he has a pro-rated cap hit of $710K that his new team is responsible for.  If a team acquires him BEFORE the Olympic trading

freeze goes into effect (February 12th at 3pm - Feb. 28th at midnight), Whitney's new team would essentially be paying him *not*

to play - and almost doubling his cap hit.   Obviously, there's not much of a chance of that happening when teams are sending their

AHL'ers down between games so as to save a few dollars of cap money.

But Carolina did it with Weight.  It surprised people.  Doug sat during the Olympics, and Carolina paid.

Don't rule out the possibility.

Might have to close this topic soon, Caniacs! Perhaps after you beat us on Feb 1st.

That meet up isn't looking so epic anymore.