The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Race for the #1 pick in 2010!

[quote name='TSA wrote:

Keith_The_Great']Might have to close this topic soon, Caniacs! Perhaps after you beat us on Feb 1st.

That meet up isn't looking so epic anymore.While its never over until the fat lady sings..

i'm officially waving the white flag, the oilers just too good at losing now...

And we are finding too much mojo with staal

[quote name='canes-in-7 wrote:

TSA wrote:

Keith_The_Great']Might have to close this topic soon, Caniacs! Perhaps after you beat us on Feb 1st.

That meet up isn't looking so epic anymore.
While its never over until the fat lady sings..

I look at it this way, in the two races we have had against the Oil, one for the Cup and now this one.  If you can only win one, we got the right one, the better end of the deal.   They can have last place, they are good people and deserve a break.  I'll take a top five pick.  Not to mention a finish in the bottom five still puts us in the lottery for #1. 

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

canes-in-7 wrote:

TSA']That meet up isn't looking so epic anymore.

While its never over until the fat lady sings..

I look at it this way, in the two races we have had against the Oil, one for the Cup and now this one.  If you can only win one, we got the right one, the better end of the deal.   They can have last place, they are good people and deserve a break.  I'll take a top five pick.  Not to mention a finish in the bottom five still puts us in the lottery for #1. 

yeah good Point.. its all in fun with the "oil"..

And toronto doesn't even get their pick, not sure why they are trying so hard to lose... LOL

For being the "hockey capital of world", they sure are a complete mess.

[quote name='wxray1 wrote:

davidrabbit wrote:

remkin']JR needs to pull the trigger on some of these vets for picks trades. Moving up and getting a mid-round pick is senseless. OK maybe we can't suck as bad as the Oilers, but we can come in 29th. Cam has the win record already, get Manny in there. Stop the madness.

Relax, remkin.  You know that Whitney and Cullen won't be traded until the last minute on March 3rd

to maximize their return.

Most of the potential trading partners are successful teams that are up against the cap.  If they acquire

Whitney on March 3rd, he has a pro-rated cap hit of $710K that his new team is responsible for. 

If a team acquires him BEFORE the Olympic trading freeze goes into effect, Whitney's new team would

essentially be paying him *not* to play - and almost doubling his cap hit.   Obviously, there's not much of

a chance of that happening when teams are sending their AHL'ers down between games so as to save a

few dollars of cap money.

But Carolina did it with Weight.  It surprised people.  Doug sat during the Olympics, and Carolina paid.

Don't rule out the possibility.

Well, I won't rule it out 100%, but I'd be surprised if JR is able to move Whitney or Cullen before March 1st.

The Weight deal only occurred because of a spate of injuries to centers.  You'll remember that Vasicek was

already out for the year, then Cullen broke his jaw.  Two days later JR (already concerned about his depth at

forward) received permission from Mr. Karmanos to go overbudget and obtained Weight.  

I am not to interested in getting the first pick. Rather get the better guy that fits our need. You can still accomplish that with a later pick and trades.

[quote name='davidrabbit wrote:

wxray1 wrote:

davidrabbit']Relax, remkin.  You know that Whitney and Cullen won't be traded until the last minute on March 3rd

to maximize their return.

Most of the potential trading partners are successful teams that are up against the cap.  If they acquire

Whitney on March 3rd, he has a pro-rated cap hit of $710K that his new team is responsible for. 

If a team acquires him BEFORE the Olympic trading freeze goes into effect, Whitney's new team would

essentially be paying him *not* to play - and almost doubling his cap hit.   Obviously, there's not much of

a chance of that happening when teams are sending their AHL'ers down between games so as to save a

few dollars of cap money.

But Carolina did it with Weight.  It surprised people.  Doug sat during the Olympics, and Carolina paid.

Don't rule out the possibility.

Well, I won't rule it out 100%, but I'd be surprised if JR is able to move Whitney or Cullen before March 1st.

The Weight deal only occurred because of a spate of injuries to centers.  You'll remember that Vasicek was

already out for the year, then Cullen broke his jaw.  Two days later JR (already concerned about his depth at

forward) received permission from Mr. Karmanos to go overbudget and obtained Weight.  

True most of the movement happens right before the deadine (even minutes before), but there is a LOT of interest in Whitney and some team may try to jump the gun and give JR an offer he can't refuse. My main focus is on slowing  this winning streak. These guys are playing too well now. Perhaps the west coast road trip will accomplish this, and then we can make the moves and pile up some losses in March.

Most of the moves probably well be made just before the deadline though.

You never know, the Sharks just lost another dman and are in need of some reinforcements. wink.gif

Hmm I don't think it is a matter of being "able" to move him before the deadline.  I think the delay is more by choice.  His hand is gaining more power as we continue to win games.  We are no longer as desperate as we were.  The longer he can hold onto him, the greater the return will be.  The trading partner is going to have to give up more since they will have less salary to take on if acquired later.  Not to mention, the longer JR can wait, the greater the competition will be for him as teams get a clearer picture of where they stand and what they need closer to March 1. 

Yes, but...

There are some teams that have a little cap space and they would be able to take advantage of that to get a little head start on the teams that are fighting the cap.  A team would then have a couple of weeks to work with the new players during the break.  That could be a huge advantage.  I thought we would have seen something happen by now, but I still think the bulk of the action will be before the Olympic break.

Well Oiler fans, I'm wondering if the Canes will still have a horse in this race by the Olympic break.  Talk about mixed feelings and an up and down season blink.gif

davidrabbit']

Hmm I don't think it is a matter of being "able" to move him before the deadline.  I think the delay is more by choice.  His hand is gaining more power as we continue to win games.  We are no longer as desperate as we were.  The longer he can hold onto him, the greater the return will be.  The trading partner is going to have to give up more since they will have less salary to take on if acquired later.  Not to mention, the longer JR can wait, the greater the competition will be for him as teams get a clearer picture of where they stand and what they need closer to March 1. 

Well, it's really a non-issue.  The delay is coming out of Atlanta.  JR can't move Whitney right now,

but he doesn't want to.  Whitney won't go anywhere until the Kovalchuk sweepstakes is determined. 

Cullen may be moved, but that's a separate transaction altogether.  

davidrabbit']

Whitney won't go anywhere until the Kovalchuk sweepstakes is determined.  Until then everyone is in a holding pattern.  

True most of the movement happens right before the deadine (even minutes before), but there is a LOT of interest in Whitney and some team may try to jump the gun and give JR an offer he can't refuse. My main focus is on slowing  this winning streak. These guys are playing too well now. Perhaps the west coast road trip will accomplish this, and then we can make the moves and pile up some losses in March.

Remember that after the bloodbath ... I mean ... umm ... transition period, that Hurricane wins will be few and far between. 

remkin']True most of the movement happens right before the deadine (even minutes before), but there is a LOT of interest in Whitney and some team may try to jump the gun and give JR an offer he can't refuse. My main focus is on slowing  this winning streak. These guys are playing too well now. Perhaps the west coast road trip will accomplish this, and then we can make the moves and pile up some losses in March.

Remember that after the bloodbath ... I mean ... umm ... transition period, that Hurricane wins will be few and far between. 

Exactly!

Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

davidrabbit']

Whitney won't go anywhere until the Kovalchuk sweepstakes is determined.  Until then everyone is in a holding pattern.  

Not sure how it will affect the Kovalchuk thing but with Calgary pulling the trigger on the big Phaneuf deal today, maybe things will start happening. Calgary was mentioned several times as being interested in Kovie & with them clearing @ $34.5 mil off the books & bringing back only @$14 mil maybe Sutter has something else up his farmer's sleeve!eyes.gif

BTW, back on topic I predict a 4-2 win for the 'Canes tomorrow night with a decisive goal being scored in the third when Moreau heads to the penalty box for an offensive zone infractionmad.gif.

Hi John,

My reasoning that Ray Whitney won't be moved until Kovalchuk is dealt was based on the fact that
several teams are interested in both.  Once Kovy is traded, a team (like Boston) will add Ray as a
runner-up acquisition.   Whitney being the next best available alternative and all that.

Good to see some trade action, tho.  I'm glad that the 7- player trade hasn't gone the way of the dinosaur.

Calgary improved themselves in the short-term, but Toronto has done well changing up their team on the fly.

Hard to believe that Ethan Moreau is still, for lack of a better term, playing.

Can Edmonton secure top draft pick for a song?

Worst team in league has best shot at picking potential NHL star

By John MacKinnon, Edmonton Journal

The 2010 NHL entry draft does not boast a Sidney Crosby franchise player, like the 2005 draft, for example, let alone the Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin 1-2 combo of the 2004 talent mart.

This June, the prized baubles being bandied about -- Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin and Cam Fowler -- are "Stamkos-ish," said NHL central scouting director E.J. Mcguire, referring to Steven Stamkos, the nifty sniper chosen first overall by Tampa Bay in 2008.

"These kids (Hall, Seguin, Fowler) are going to play with the teams that draft them next year," McGuire said. "The teams that draft them will be able to sell the future -- and tickets -- to their fans on that basis."

Whether the Oilers get to choose one of the above, let alone which one, obviously will depend on their final placing and on the lottery. And on what their perceived needs are.

contin in link

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/John+MacKinnon+Edmonton+secure+draft+pick+song/2498791/story.html

Go jiggy!! get those laugh's ahead of us! for the Whale! : )

Jean-Sebastien Giguere and the Toronto Maple Leafs rolled over the New Jersey Devils 3-0 on Tuesday to snap a six-game winless streak. The Leafs beat their Eastern Conference rivals thanks in large part to Giguere, new defenceman Dion Phaneuf and forward Fredrik Sjostrom.