The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

WHAT IS THE MAIN PROBLEM ??

Inconsistent Offense (continual changes to lines)

NO PP

Consistent defensive breakdowns

No team leadership

That pretty much sums it up right there.  Especially the lack of leadership.  If your captin is only on the ice for 5 mins per game how can he lead.

They just have no offensive "talent" of course they're all professional players, but just not great....  no creativity, i just dont like the style. I say unload the veterans at the deadline, and just start fresh next year, give the young guys a chance, it works, look at chicago, L.A.  We just need somebody to step up, and just light it up offensively. Make something happen boys!!

The main problems as I see them:

1) We are paying our 4th line $6M/year when we should be paying $1-2M - for that kind of premium we could have Danny Heatly as Eric Staal's winger instead of Ray Whitney or Eric Cole.

2) Brind'Amour - No one could have ever seen this coming. Brind'Amour is only 39 and should still be our #2 center. By comparison, Ron Francis had 27 goals and 50 assists and was still our #1 center at age 39. With his strong conditioning/work ethic, I kept thinking this season would be a bounce back year for him. That is clearly not going to happen and we are paying the price and will likely again next season. Cullen is a #3 center while Sutter is trying admirably to fill in as the #2 center. This has made us very weak down the middle.

3) Eric Cole is no longer a top winger. While he is a solid 2nd liner, we gambled and lost that he'd be more.

4) Chad Larose has not produced this year - 19 goals in 2009 down to 1 so far. We were counting on at least as good a year and possible upside from 2009.

The net is that Rutherford was gambling that this team would hold together for at least this season. We have a lot of good young players that weren't ready for the NHL, but will be soon. There is very little he can change during the season due to the cap. With that said, I think the groundwork is in place to be a much better team in the next 2 years. Staal and Ward are a great foundation and we will be a much younger team going forward.

If this is true of the players then we are right back to "Who's the Core" (which has all ready been discussed in another thread.)

Staal, Sutter, Jokinen, Ruutu

Gleason, Pitkanen

Ward

Everyone else could hit the road.  Honorable mention should go to KStop, Alberts, and Legace - IMO.

On another note I have fallen over the fence and landed firmly on Mo Must Go.

Bottom line for me is always coaching, you could bring up 23 River Rats and with the "right" coach make them a competitive NHL team. If the players are "tuning you out" then you have to figure out why, just maybe the don't "buy" what you are selling or what you are selling just doesn't work.

Secondly is leadership which should come from the team captain, they guys will buy into and play in pink tutu's if the captain does. I think it was Remkin that pointed out (over the last couple years) that when Brindy comes to play the team really plays but when he doesn't then neither do they.

Too many role players and not enough top talent.  No chemistry.

The dollars spent on the 4th line is an issue since that money could be better spent at the top end of the lineup.  I'm willing to see J.R. predicament at the end of last season.  If he blows up a team that made it to the ECF's, many fans would have crucified him.  Go back to the pre season prediction thread and most of us had this team in the top 5 in the East.  At least J.R. didn't do any long term deals this summer other than Cam "Average at Best" Ward (sarcasm alert).

I don't have a clue how to fix the power play.  It's sucked for so long that I can't remember when it was good.

All that and oh yeah, Mo must go.

The trading deadline can't come soon enough for me.  The organization and THIS team has lost this Caniac.  Sure, I'll continue to attend games, watch on TV, post up here, etc.  The main problem is everything.  I will no longer live in the present or the past.  I'm for talking about the future, and what we do going forward.  With that said a couple of thoughts.

1.  The Fire Sale.  Please pass the matches.

2.  New coaching STAFF.  I don't know who would do any better, but the present staff can't do any worse (or can they?)

3.  FIND A LEADER.  I had hoped somebody on this team would step up and find a way to carry this dismal team on their back, both on and off the ice.  Is there a door number 4?  

There was an NFL coach - I believed it was Tom Landry - who was described as one who could take his players and beat yours and then could take your players and beat his players.  The Canes need such an individual; one who will demand the best out of everyone on the team from the captain down to the stick boy.

This team lacks cohesiveness on a consistent basis. The frustrating thing is that the team is able to bring it on occasion vs. the best teams in the league, but more often than not just breaks down for fairly short periods, but to a stunning degree. The talent level is actually not terrible, but whether it's age, or other factors, they just cannot bring the level needed for long enough and in those down times, the other guys score.

Key factors:

1. Brind'Amour. I have resisted piling on the guy more now that he is down to 5 minutes, but unlike the post above that claims no one could see it coming, some of us have seen it here for close to two years now (and been writing it). The now well known theory, is that the team is in a huge conundrum. No one wants to upset the apple cart here, but for over 2 years the other guys have been carrying Brind'Amour, who simply cannot or will not see that he was done at the NHL level well over a year ago. No one wants to be the guy to bring this up, but he lost the room the year before last. The affect of having your Captain give up puck after puck and compile two YEARS of outlandishly outlyingly bad plus/minus, yet not give up the Captaincy, let alone his playing days is largely behind all of this. Now this is speculation, but there is ample evidence for it (see my other posts on this theory). If by some miracle Brind'Amour were traded at the start of the year, we would be at least .5000 now. He clearly brings down his linemates. Walker? Yelle? But the psychology of this whole mess goes much much deeper.

This team will not go on any kind of winning streak until Brind'Amour is off the ice. It has gotten to the point now that I am even tired of constantly qualifying this with the line about all that he has done for the team. His last great contribution to the team will be the #1 draft pick. He is the guy who stays too long, he's been that guy for nearly 2 years. If Brind'Amour is on the ice next year I am done as a fan.

2. New changes. Kosto has worked out well. But A.Ward has been a disaster. Think Kaberle in the bad years. The Babchuk saga. Hard to see how Babs would have been worse for the team than Ward. Yelle, waived already. Others have pointed to the overpaid 4th line. None more than Brind'Amour, yes there's another thing $3 million on a 4th liner who is NOT better than 6 River Rats we could call up for nothing.

3. Age. We aged out. If possible we got even older with the new additions and losing Babchuk. Whitney is still the man, but getting older. Walker, Brind'Amour, Yelle, heck even Legacy: where are all the Leighton will never be good in the NHL people by the way.

4. No top line talent beyond Staal. At least one if not two highly skilled players would have a multiplying effect. Not only would we score goals (win more games), but it would keep our 2nd and 3rd liners down where they can be more effective AND would give us a better power play. Sorry for gloating, but some of us called for this one thing in the offseason. A top winger for Staal. Instead we got 4th liners and A. Ward.

5. Power play. You simply cannot win in this league with a powerplay at the bottom. We need more skilled forwards here.

6. Coaching. I am really torn here. I am still not convinced that Mo is the problem. He tuned this team up and got them deep into the playoffs, where they had no business being. Yes, he is dumbfounded, but all of the above problems 1-4 (maybe even #5) are on JR. The problem is that even if he is a good coach in a bad situation (still my theory), he is becoming the face of losing BADLY with two different teams. I really don't think Mo is the problem, but I do hold out the possibility that he is part of the issue, and may need to go even if it isn't his fault.

7. Injuries. This is not THE problem, but Staal has played injured and losing Ward and Staal at once clearly had some roll in how long we have been this bad.

I would still like to see what Mo would do with Brindy, A Ward, and a few other key vets subbed with young guns before throwing him away. The major problems are 1-5 in my opinion. Our GM made some understandable, but wrong moves and most importantly non moves.

Of course, I could be wrong.

The main problem with the team is Brindy (not Brindy bashing). We went into the season expecting Brindy to be our third and sometimes second line center. Once that didn't work out we began shifting lines and looking for chemistry. Injuries didn't help as we would set a line and then be forced to change it.  Meanwhile Brindy was forced to switch to wing and skate fourth line and not always with good results.  I admire Brindy for the I'll do what it takes attitude but he has become our albatross.

Our second problem is we have always been a 3 goal team. This was implied in an N&O story today. We built this team to hold the opposition under 2 or 3 goals. The MO team.That hasn't worked and we now have trouble scoring the 3 goals that give us a chance to win.

We are now in a rebuilding phase. This is only a problem in the short term.  Young players make mistakes while learning the game at this level. Of course once they do and we figure out who we keep and who we don't the team will be the better for it.

For those who don't agree, I'm not sure what you've been watching this year.

I've been watching the same old same old, game after game, no offense game plan that we've come to all know as MO HOCKEY.  NO emotion, NO leadership, NO energy, NO fun ....

I can not understand why he is still standing behind the bench !

It's NO MO time !

MO gotta go !!! (again) 

MO gotta go !!! (again)

MO gotta go !!! (again) 

MO gotta go !!! (again) 

MO gotta go !!! (again)  

The recent Montreal (12-23) game was most revealing to me. I noticed that when Montreal had the puck in the offensive end, there was a lot of puck movement and excellent player positioning. When they had a breakaway chance there was a man on either side of the slot. They passed the puck effectively until the goalie was out of position for the score. This type of play was in effect in regular play also. It looked like basic hockey fundamentals but effective. 
   Lately, I have been watching the faceoff win percentages along with shots on goal. The faceoff percentage is our ability to get the puck. There doesn't seem to be two much of an issue there. I have two thoughts related to the number of shots on goal.  You could say we shoot a lot at the goal and that is a good thing.  How good is it?  If you score one goal for every forty-five shots, you were effective on 2 percent of them. If you score 1 goal for every five shots, you were effective on 20 percent of them. My point  "It's the quality of shots not quanitity."  We have to discuss the issue of scoring off goalie rebounds. You have to be in position to take advantage of those rebounds. I don't see a physical presence in front of the net to capture a rebound. So, it raises a question as to why we do this. 
   Passing the puck. We try to make some of the most difficult passes. Cross-ice through traffic. Drop passes, etc. Why! The chances of success are extremely low. 
   Team leadership. Who is it?  All 23 of  them!

Main problem..

We keep allowing the other team to score more goals than our team!

once we change it to scoring more goals than the other team, we will do better : )

And before think this is obvious, today's N/O headline..

Canes aim for more scoring

The Carolina Hurricanes' first practice of 2010 ended Friday with several players lined up, firing shot after shot, slamming pucks into the net in rapid-fire fashion.

I don't think there's any reason to fire Mo right now when the team is destined to get a top pick, but in the coming offseason or two we will be one of the fastest and youngest teams in the NHL.  Aside from the #1 pick we'll hopefully be getting more offensive talent in FA with all the contracts we have coming off the books.  We also will be calling up a good deal of talented River Rats and getting rid of some of the under performing vets (hopefully Brindamour won't tarnish his legacy anymore and leave as well).  These young/fast teams that it seems like we'll have are not the type of team that Mo knows how to coach.  This is why in the offseason I think we need to see if Mo wants to move to a management position and look for a new coach who knows how to properly motivate players and can run an exciting system that fits this team.  With McCarthy already gone I'd look to move Ron Francis back to player development and put Rowe somewhere (I like him, but I think the new coach deserves to have his own staff).

Two main areas:

1. The leaders aren't leading. You never see Brind'Amour mentor or coach the younger players. He is also absent from post game comments, even if it means taking the heat. Instead it is Gleason or Staal. Same goes for coaches, with Francis adding uncertainty behind the bench as coach in waiting (and waiting, and waiting....). Organizations don't function well with these type leadership vacuums.

2. Special teams. Francis is a failure at the PP, but Mo is impotent to do something about it (see No.1 above). This one area was a prime reason why the Canes won the cup in the '06 playoff run.

Yeah with our PP being so inept it appears that Mo has no idea how to fix it and that Francis hasn't known how to do much of anything with the PP. I'm personally in favor of an entirely new coaching staff (maybe Rowe stays) with Francis and Maurice taking player development and front office positions. Also as much as Brindamour has done for this franchise, I hope if he is dead set on coming back for another year then JR would offer him a management position, then if he declines dump him on waivers. He is sucking the life out of the leadership of the team and sucking down 3 million a year while doing it. I don't think he's lost the desire, I think he's lost ability with the injuries and in effect cannot lead by example like he used to.

My lineup next year would look like:

Staal, Hall, FA addition/Rutuu

Sutter, Jokinen, Whitney/Rutuu

Cullen, Boychuck, Samsonov/Cole (I think we'll see one or both of them traded)

Dwyer, LaRose, Kostopolous/River Rat

Pitkanen, FA addition

Gleason, Corvo/River Rat

Carson, McBain/Rodney

- Potential call up for spots would be guys like Borer/Samson/Bowman.

Yeah with our PP being so inept it appears that Mo has no idea how to fix it and that Francis hasn't known how to do much of anything with the PP. I'm personally in favor of an entirely new coaching staff (maybe Rowe stays) with Francis and Maurice taking player development and front office positions. Also as much as Brindamour has done for this franchise, I hope if he is dead set on coming back for another year then JR would offer him a management position, then if he declines dump him on waivers. He is sucking the life out of the leadership of the team and sucking down 3 million a year while doing it. I don't think he's lost the desire, I think he's lost ability with the injuries and in effect cannot lead by example like he used to.

My lineup next year would look like:

Staal, Hall, FA addition/Rutuu

Sutter, Jokinen, Whitney/Rutuu

Cullen, Boychuck, Samsonov/Cole (I think we'll see one or both of them traded)

Dwyer, LaRose, Kostopolous/River Rat

Pitkanen, FA addition

Gleason, Corvo/River Rat

Carson, McBain/Rodney

- Potential call up for spots would be guys like Borer/Samson/Bowman.

First, Sutter is a center.  Second, Hall, if that's who we draft (lot's of hockey left), is a winger.  After that, it's a stretch to think both Whitney and Cullen return next season.  Same could be said of Sammy and Cole. Finally, you have Corvo and 4 Rats on defense.  Alberts has been pretty solid in a 3rd pairing scenario and is a big hitter. I bet he stays.  Who knows if Mcbain, Carson, Rodney are all ready.

1) We have 2 fourth lines.  No team with a third line of Dwyer and Kostoplous is going to be successful in the NHL unless you have some 100 point guys on your top two.

2) We have 2 third pairings.  No team relying on some combination of Carson/Alberts/Ward/Wallin to carry a heavy burden is going to be successful in the NHL.

The team is getting better though as the right players have trickled back in off the IR.  The team should be around .500 the rest of the way out barring things getting worse injury wise.  6-6-2 since december.  40 goals in 14 games, which is around 2.8 a game.   

I know that Sutter is a center, but with the lineup not set in stone (like not knowing if one or both of Cullen/Whitney will be back) I didn't plan out who'd start at wing or center or whatever.  Also I like Alberts, but Rodney, Carson, and Borer have to start somewhere and I figured that starting them on a rebuilding team with a couple of years in the minors under their belt would be as good a place to start as any. 

I think we'll see Rats win some spots next year to go along with whoever we take #1, but I think the defense will be even more interesting with guys like Alberts and Corvo available to resign, with guys like Rodney/Carson/Borer/McBain all in the minors. 

With FA though, with money coming off from Kostopolous/Yelle/Wallin/A.Ward, who do you think that JR will go out and get?  Or will he simply stand pat and not go after any big names and see how the Rats do?

I know that Sutter is a center, but with the lineup not set in stone (like not knowing if one or both of Cullen/Whitney will be back) I didn't plan out who'd start at wing or center or whatever.  Also I like Alberts, but Rodney, Carson, and Borer have to start somewhere and I figured that starting them on a rebuilding team with a couple of years in the minors under their belt would be as good a place to start as any. 

I think we'll see Rats win some spots next year to go along with whoever we take #1, but I think the defense will be even more interesting with guys like Alberts and Corvo available to resign, with guys like Rodney/Carson/Borer/McBain all in the minors. 

With FA though, with money coming off from Kostopolous/Yelle/Wallin/A.Ward, who do you think that JR will go out and get?  Or will he simply stand pat and not go after any big names and see how the Rats do?

Kostopolous and Alberts are signed for next season.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

rollinsox007']I know that Sutter is a center, but with the lineup not set in stone (like not knowing if one or both of Cullen/Whitney will be back) I didn't plan out who'd start at wing or center or whatever.  Also I like Alberts, but Rodney, Carson, and Borer have to start somewhere and I figured that starting them on a rebuilding team with a couple of years in the minors under their belt would be as good a place to start as any. 

Both players may not be considered "core" players but I'd have KStop in my lineup any time.  Great pickup by JR.  Alberts for you stat guys ..... look at his plus\minus (on this team).  Nice plug-in to most third pairings.  Hits big and is fairly consistent game-to-game.  Why trade him?

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

super-dave-1 wrote:

rollinsox007']I know that Sutter is a center, but with the lineup not set in stone (like not knowing if one or both of Cullen/Whitney will be back) I didn't plan out who'd start at wing or center or whatever.  Also I like Alberts, but Rodney, Carson, and Borer have to start somewhere and I figured that starting them on a rebuilding team with a couple of years in the minors under their belt would be as good a place to start as any. 

Both players may not be considered "core" players but I'd have KStop in my lineup any time.  Great pickup by JR.  Alberts for you stat guys ..... look at his plus\minus (on this team).  Nice plug-in to most third pairings.  Hits big and is fairly consistent game-to-game.  Why trade him?

KStop for 2 more years at 916k per year.  I'll take that guy at that price any day.  I hadn't really considered him as a trading chip, but at that price he's quite a bargain.

Alberts for 1 more year at 1.05 mil.  His game is coming along and I don't have any issues with him.  These two guys are the least of our problems.