The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

WHAT IS THE MAIN PROBLEM ??

Not necessarily, year before last we were playing a bunch of Rats and almost made the playoffs had someone in the organization decided to put the returning wounded back in.  The returning wounded didn't get it done and we missed the playoffs.

The "rat pack" was playing far above expectations and the Canes were withing one win of the SE Division crown.  Someone (JR or Lavi) made the decision to return the vets before they were healed and the rest was history.

The rat pack (aucoin and bayda) had 8 goals in 70ish games.  They did a good job cycling the puck with walker on the 3rd line, and put a bandaid on the fact that they couldn't score by keeping it in the offensive zone and keeping the other team off the scoreboard.  

But Ward and Staal both playing out of their minds was the reason for the success.  The fact people remember bayda and aucoin and not our superstars being the best on the ice probably says something about the boards mindset.

[quote name='wallym wrote:

colliefan']
Not necessarily, year before last we were playing a bunch of Rats and almost made the playoffs had someone in the organization decided to put the returning wounded back in.  The returning wounded didn't get it done and we missed the playoffs

The "rat pack" was playing far above expectations and the Canes were withing one win of the SE Division crown.  Someone (JR or Lavi) made the decision to return the vets before they were healed and the rest was history.

The rat pack (aucoin and bayda) had 8 goals in 70ish games.  They did a good job cycling the puck with walker on the 3rd line, and put a bandaid on the fact that they couldn't score by keeping it in the offensive zone and keeping the other team off the scoreboard.  

But Ward and Staal both playing out of their minds was the reason for the success.  The fact people remember bayda and aucoin and not our superstars being the best on the ice probably says something about the boards mindset.
But, how can you argue with the success of the team on the ice?  It was a lot more than Aucoin and Bayda.  Conboy and Brookbank were up for that time too.  A few others made an appearance.  What happened that year was that the vets were marginally healthy and re-inserted into the lineup too soon and as a result, we didn't make the playoffs.  Can't blame Mo there since he was either in Toronto or unemployed.  Question is, whose call was it?  J.R. or Lavi?

It has nothing to do with what's wrong now, but, what the hey, it's worth discussing.

Hi, i just want to bring up a few of my thoughts..

1. Captain. Brind'amour should not be wearing the "C", I don't know what he's doing in the locker room, but a captain should also be able to lead by example on the ice, Brind'amour is not able to do that anymore, seems like his time is gone.

Staal is not, what i've heard, a very good leader either. I can't give a straight answer who should be the captain, but i'd like to see Tuomo with an "A", he's playing hard and stays positive even when the team is struggling.

2. A team full of second and third liners, even Staal who is a first liner but not elite, should try to play as a team, and most importantly play team D. From what 'ive noticed here on the boards, you all seem to agree on the fact that the team is missing a pure sniper, a goal scorer who can make things happen.. This all leads to the team management, coaching staff and even the captaincy that i already mentioned, the trade deadline i coming and some radical moves should be made, this season is already done for the team.

(by the way sorry for my english, i'm a finn) ->which also means that i know what a team can do if they can really play as a team(Finnish national team) laugh.gif Finnish goaltending is good, but we've only got second and third line players, except Mikko Koivu.

But anyway, the canes seem to have poor leadership and poor coaching/managemet.

Last year the Hurricanes had a good run, but last year you also had a TEAM.

Staal is not, what i've heard, a very good leader either. I can't give a straight answer who should be the captain

given the sad news that was announced today, he was playing witha heavy burdem.  this is complicated by being a new dad and, I am sure, plenty of sleep deprivasion.  add an injury to the mix so we don't have an all together player

Staal is not, what i've heard, a very good leader either. I can't give a straight answer who should be the captain

given the sad news that was announced today, he was playing witha heavy burdem.  this is complicated by being a new dad and, I am sure, plenty of sleep deprivasion.  add an injury to the mix so we don't have an all together player

Not to diminish his family's loss, but bad news, bad news, sick or healthy, the difference between a professional athlete and an amateur is the ability to play through the pain, keep the dobber up, exude confidence,  and inspire others with guts and grit and tenacity. Time for excuses is over. Staal, Brindy, A.Ward, may need to go.

Getting back on topic....

There are several "main problems". The Brind`Amour situation I think, it a lot bigger than it seems to be. I think it has a direct effect on the team's morale. Forslund said that there were players upset when Brindy was a healthy scratch, and I believe him. Everyone KNOWS he's underperforming. making him a healthy scratch was the wrong message to the team, IMO. He's still a better player than most of the guys we've had on the 4th line. That being said, he needs to do the right thing in the offseason and retire.

Staal's not producing, for whatever reason. This team almost lives and dies by the performance of Staal. Which is part of the reason the team is in the basement.

I watched The Hurricanes under Paul Maurice for 9 seasons before he was replaced with Laviolette. In those 9 season I became accustomed to seeing the team trap every game, and struggle to score 3 goals a game, but most of his teams were defensively solid for the most part. It's different this season. The team isn't scoring, AND the defense looks terrible, especially Aaron Ward, who I think was kidnapped by aliens in the off-season and replaced with some clumsy excuse for a hockey player.

Point is, as bad as I hated Paul Maurice's dump and chase, trap hockey, this is even worse. The team is fundamentally BAD, is not responding to the coaching staff, and it's PAST time for a coaching change. I'm tired of seeing J.R's buddy, and King of Mediocrity behind the bench of The Carolina Hurricanes. This was suppose to be a playoff team, and no other GM would have let it go this long. Philly changed coaches before it got too late, I just wish JR would have done the same.

Getting back on topic....

There are several "main problems". The Brind`Amour situation I think, it a lot bigger than it seems to be. I think it has a direct effect on the team's morale. Forslund said that there were players upset when Brindy was a healthy scratch, and I believe him. Everyone KNOWS he's underperforming. making him a healthy scratch was the wrong message to the team, IMO. He's still a better player than most of the guys we've had on the 4th line. That being said, he needs to do the right thing in the offseason and retire.

Staal's not producing, for whatever reason. This team almost lives and dies by the performance of Staal. Which is part of the reason the team is in the basement.

I watched The Hurricanes under Paul Maurice for 9 seasons before he was replaced with Laviolette. In those 9 season I became accustomed to seeing the team trap every game, and struggle to score 3 goals a game, but most of his teams were defensively solid for the most part. It's different this season. The team isn't scoring, AND the defense looks terrible, especially Aaron Ward, who I think was kidnapped by aliens in the off-season and replaced with some clumsy excuse for a hockey player.

Point is, as bad as I hated Paul Maurice's dump and chase, trap hockey, this is even worse. The team is fundamentally BAD, is not responding to the coaching staff, and it's PAST time for a coaching change. I'm tired of seeing J.R's buddy, and King of Mediocrity behind the bench of The Carolina Hurricanes. This was suppose to be a playoff team, and no other GM would have let it go this long. Philly changed coaches before it got too late, I just wish JR would have done the same.

Well put!!  What really gets me is the team "excuse" that "Maurice has really matured as a coach, has learned from the past".  It is the "same ole mo".

Least Lavi had us close to the playoffs both years, close enough a small change got us into the playoffs. However Mo's large change has completely destroyed a team who stayed together for the most part.
I can see giving Lavi all the credit he deserves for 06, but seriously, giving him any sort of credit for "almost" making the playoffs two years in a row after winning the Stanley Cup -- with a championship team that stayed together for the most part too??? In our reverence for Lavi I think a few of us like to overlook the fact that we didn't just miss the playoffs because we couldn't take the shoo-in division title of the worst division of the league, we sucked enough under his great tutelage and motivational skills that we couldn't even make it to 8th place -- two years in a row after winning the Cup and with the start of the third year not looking much better.

But to stay on topic, imagine you had an unexpected chance to actually talk with an ex-Cane for a while and the conversation swings to our dismal season this year and Mo, and the player with a faint smile then just shakes his head and leaves you hanging with a "...Maurice... is not the reason."   

Least Lavi had us close to the playoffs both years, close enough a small change got us into the playoffs. However Mo's large change has completely destroyed a team who stayed together for the most part.

I can see giving Lavi all the credit he deserves for 06, but seriously, giving him any sort of credit for "almost" making the playoffs two years in a row after winning the Stanley Cup -- with a championship team that stayed together for the most part too??? In our reverence for Lavi I think a few of us like to overlook the fact that we didn't just miss the playoffs because we couldn't take the shoo-in division title of the worst division of the league, we sucked enough under his great tutelage and motivational skills that we couldn't even make it to 8th place -- two years in a row after winning the Cup and with the start of the third year not looking much better.

But to stay on topic, imagine you had an unexpected chance to actually talk with an ex-Cane for a while who, if nothing else, is more in the know than anyone of us sitting around guessing, and the conversation swings to our dismal season this year and Mo, and the player with a faint smile then just shakes his head and leaves you hanging with a "...Maurice... is not the reason."     

[quote name='krad wrote:

legend-1']Least Lavi had us close to the playoffs both years, close enough a small change got us into the playoffs. However Mo's large change has completely destroyed a team who stayed together for the most part.

I can see giving Lavi all the credit he deserves for 06, but seriously, giving him any sort of credit for "almost" making the playoffs two years in a row after winning the Stanley Cup -- with a championship team that stayed together for the most part too??? In our reverence for Lavi I think a few of us like to overlook the fact that we didn't just miss the playoffs because we couldn't take the shoo-in division title of the worst division of the league, we sucked enough under his great tutelage and motivational skills that we couldn't even make it to 8th place -- two years in a row after winning the Cup and with the start of the third year not looking much better.

But to stay on topic, imagine you had an unexpected chance to actually talk with an ex-Cane for a while who, if nothing else, is more in the know than anyone of us sitting around guessing, and the conversation swings to our dismal season this year and Mo, and the player with a faint smile then just shakes his head and leaves you hanging with a "...Maurice... is not the reason."     

right now being in ninth place and only a couple of points away from a playoff spot looks a lot better than 30th with no chance in H-E-double toothpicks.

[quote name='krad wrote:

legend-1']Least Lavi had us close to the playoffs both years, close enough a small change got us into the playoffs. However Mo's large change has completely destroyed a team who stayed together for the most part.

You make a very good case and bring up some points worth considering. Although Maurice might not be the problem he might be part of the problem.  When you listen to Mo there is no doubt he understands hockey as well as anyone. But at some point the coach must answer for the sins of his team. At this point in the season I don't think it matters who is behind the bench but next year might be a different story.

[quote name='krad wrote:

Now that sounds like you might have actually had such a conversation with an actual ex-Cane. This is most intriguing, because if Mo is not the problem then who is? (I think I know).

[quote name='remkin wrote:

krad wrote:

Now that sounds like you might have actually had such a conversation with an actual ex-Cane. This is most intriguing, because if Mo is not the problem then who is? (I think I know).

Brindy?  or Staal and his big check or Rosie and his big check?

You tease you.  That's just wrong.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

remkin wrote:

krad']

Brindy?  or Staal and his big check or Rosie and his big check?

....Staal is not the problem....Rosie is not the problem.....