The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Appstatecanesfan

"50% of the team will be different next year" -JR

I say sign Ray Whitney and Matt Cullen and trade Scott Walker and Stephane Yelle.

Yelle was placed on waivers with no takers.....probably not many trade options out there. Walker's injury status means he's not going to be traded either....same goes for Corvo or any other Cane who is injured, or on IR in coming weeks. Whitney and Cullen are the two guys who will bring  the most return in a trade right now. Even Forslund said last night that teams that WANT to acquire new players via trade, will likely do so before the olympic break. There simply isn't enough time from the olympic break to the trade deadline.

I just have to call BS on a team going from ECF to last in one season and feeling you gotta change half the locker room to fix it. Maybe your coach and best friend is a moron JR.

Getting to be a good old boys club up there in management. 

I say we keep:

6 - Gleason

12 - Staal

15 - Ruutu

16 - Sutter

19- Tlutsy

25 - Pitkanen

29 - Kostopoulos

30 - Cam Ward

36 - Jokinen

67 - Samson

There may be others that we keep but to me this is the core of established players and prospects I'd want to keep.

Trade anyone else we can at the deadline (Cullen and Whitney, they aren't getting any younger) or offseason, pray that Brinda'less retires and hope the others that we can't get rid of have contracts that expire this year. Hopefully we can get a good draft pick, 1 - 3 depending on lottery? Then we need to spend our money on some great defenders and fowards that are under 30 years old. The rest we'll have to pull from Albany and cross our fingers. Can't be worse than this year.

Who does everybody else want us to keep? I realize not everyone will agree with my opinions but I'd be interested to see what others think!

If we dump 50% of the team at least  ten players won't be back.

I keep   Staal /Cole   Jokinen/Sutter/ Ruutu    Dwyer /Kostopoulos

Gleason/Pitkanen

Cam Ward

I didn't include recent Rat additions but I sure want to keep Boychuk and Carson

I wouldn't mind keeping Whitney,Cullen and Corvo but think they are destined to be dealt.

Assuming Staal won't be back for Ottawa and now that Ruutu is out several weeks, are we almost 50% different than when we started THIS year?

Not to mention have we officially gone from the oldest team in the league to the youngest yet?

Assuming Staal won't be back for Ottawa and now that Ruutu is out several weeks, are we almost 50% different than when we started THIS year?

Not to mention have we officially gone from the oldest team in the league to the youngest yet?

If Staal doesn't start I think we are now made up of 40% players who didn't start the season with us.

I don't know if we are the youngest team and as long as Brindy and Yelle are with us I'm not sure we could be.

I wonder if Brind AMour doesn't it do it on his own as in retire after this season he'll more than most likely be put on waivers. What do you all think?

You use "devastating" injury as his reason for struggling the past 2 seasons. I don't believe you were actually paying attention to his efforts on the ice before his injury occurred. Rod was struggling way before the injury. There are a LOT of players who have had the very same injury as Rod and came back successful. Rod was slow before the injury. If you look at his numbers the year of the injury and compare them with Cullen who was injured as well. You will find that Cullen out performed Brindy with half the time on ice along with a lot of other players being held back.

I admire your loyalty but its time to face reality. Rod has been bringing this team down for 3 seasons. He may have pride but the only thing Brindy must be thinking....is how can he get more opportunity to increase his value as a possible trade.  Forslund was probably thinking the same thing when he made his comment.

Actually I am not.  I am simply providing justification for why I think Rod himself might not come to the conclusion that he is done and he has been for two years.  I am in no way defending his play with these circumstance.   As I said in  my previous post - I wanted him gone as of last year.  But to continue with that reasoning - he did win the Selke just 9 months before the injury.  Yes, he was starting to slow down in 07 but he had 51 points in 59 games played that year prior to the injury.  How many players would see that and thing the end is near?  All I am saying is athletes of this caliber sometimes have a hard time admitting it's time to walk away because they tend to think they can get it back.  Their pride makes it tough, see Brett Farve. 

By the way - how many players have had that injury at Rod's age and come back to great success?  Just curious. 

Which minor leaguers does everyone feel will make the team out of camp next year?  We have Boychuck, Tlusty, Bowman, Samson, Borer, Carson, Rodney and McBain as top guys right now.  We'll also have a top pick to make the team.  Some may make the team at the end of this year.  Also does anyone think that with so many young, inexpensive guys on the team that JR and PK will go out in FA and pick up some top talent on defense and the top line?  We'll have some money to spend, but JR and company may wait to see if the young guys will prove themselves and they could try and save some money after this debacle of a season.

Which minor leaguers does everyone feel will make the team out of camp next year?  We have Boychuck, Tlusty, Bowman, Samson, Borer, Carson, Rodney and McBain as top guys right now.  We'll also have a top pick to make the team.  Some may make the team at the end of this year.  Also does anyone think that with so many young, inexpensive guys on the team that JR and PK will go out in FA and pick up some top talent on defense and the top line?  We'll have some money to spend, but JR and company may wait to see if the young guys will prove themselves and they could try and save some money after this debacle of a season.

I think definitely Tlusty and possibly Boychuck.  On the back line, we might as well keep Carson around, he looks pretty good.  Out of the whole bunch Tlusty looks the most promising at being a pretty good player.  Good pick up by JR, he has kind of shown that he still kind of knows what he's doing.

[quote name='Appstatecanesfan wrote:

rollinsox007']Which minor leaguers does everyone feel will make the team out of camp next year?  We have Boychuck, Tlusty, Bowman, Samson, Borer, Carson, Rodney and McBain as top guys right now.  We'll also have a top pick to make the team.  Some may make the team at the end of this year.  Also does anyone think that with so many young, inexpensive guys on the team that JR and PK will go out in FA and pick up some top talent on defense and the top line?  We'll have some money to spend, but JR and company may wait to see if the young guys will prove themselves and they could try and save some money after this debacle of a season.

I think definitely Tlusty and possibly Boychuck.  On the back line, we might as well keep Carson around, he looks pretty good.  Out of the whole bunch Tlusty looks the most promising at being a pretty good player.  Good pick up by JR, he has kind of shown that he still kind of knows what he's doing.

I agree with Tlusty and I think it's Boychuk's job to lose. I am actually liking the idea of Dwyer and Samson on the 4th line. Both bring a tenacious game and Samson's stregnth along the boards could be key to a grinding, cyling thing going on. Now in my grand plan I have a third line of Boychuk/Sutter/Tlusty and I would like to keep Kosto and I think we're going to have to keep LaRose, so we might not have room for all of these guys in the bottom 6. I guess we'll see what they each bring as the rest of this year unfolds. I don't have any of these guys in the top 6 unless one just blossoms.

Bowman is a mystery to me. Never seen him, apparently not very speedy, but seems to have a real scoring knack. Would definitely like to see him up for a while to evaluate.

I just have to call BS on a team going from ECF to last in one season and feeling you gotta change half the locker room to fix it. Maybe your coach and best friend is a moron JR.

Getting to be a good old boys club up there in management. 
With all the UFAs we have after this season, whether this team made the playoffs or not, there was going to be a significant roster change.

Current UFAs:

Ray Whitney

Matt Cullen

Scott Walker

Stephane Yelle

Joe Corvo

Nic Wallin

Aaron Ward

Manny Legace

Possibly reitrement: Rod Brind'Amour

There's your 50% turnover. I say one of Whitney or Cullen is back next year (maybe both). All others are gone.

JR has said he wants to sign Whitney on a few occasions including recently. 

Cullen could stay but the guys worth 2 to 2.5 mil not 3 like he's being paid.

I doubt Wallin signs and I'd bet he calls it a NHL career if we dont offer him something, he's wanted to go back to Sweden for a while.

Legace should be back, it's really nice having someone competent on the bench.

Gonna have to agree on the rest. I dont see any benefit on keeping any of those guys. 

Boychuk isn't ready, I'm not sure what you all are seeing but this kids just needs more time in the cooker. 
You may be right, but he's only been up for a couple of games. The first game he was up (last time, not Nashville) he had a great nose for the net and was passing well also. I agree that he needs work along the boards and defensively, but he's got skills. I'd like to see a few more games before declaring him not ready for prime time. Plus the key is that he's ready next year.

...and Philly sure is happy to take our INCOMPETENT Leighton aren't they? Just shows what someone can do if they get to play more like he should have here....and one more thing, I would really like to see Cole be one of the 50% that leaves. He constantly stays hurt. We never should have recycled him in the first place. 

JR has said he wants to sign Whitney on a few occasions including recently. 
Cullen could stay but the guys worth 2 to 2.5 mil not 3 like he's being paid.

I doubt Wallin signs and I'd bet he calls it a NHL career if we dont offer him something, he's wanted to go back to Sweden for a while.

Gonna have to agree on the rest. I dont see any benefit on keeping any of those guys. 

...and Philly sure is happy to take our INCOMPETENTLeighton aren't they? Just shows what someone can do if they get toplay more like he should have here....and one more thing, I wouldreally like to see Cole be one of the 50% that leaves. He constantlystays hurt. We never should have recycled him in the first place. 

I love what Brindy has done for us over the years, but it is time for him to retire. If I were JR, I would sit Whitney down and ask him where he would like to go for the rest of the year (but I would make sure he knows that we want him back next year and I would even promise him Captain when he comes back). Try and get a good trade for renting him for the rest of the year and hopefully he would want to come back. I would also ask Cullen where he would like to finish the year and make sure he also knows that we want him back.

I love what Brindy has done for us over the years, but it is time for him to retire. If I were JR, I would sit Whitney down and ask him where he would like to go for the rest of the year (but I would make sure he knows that we want him back next year and I would even promise him Captain when he comes back). Try and get a good trade for renting him for the rest of the year and hopefully he would want to come back. I would also ask Cullen where he would like to finish the year and make sure he also knows that we want him back.
I agree. Some here have said we should trade Whitney and Cullen because they have the most value. That thought process makes no sense to me. If they would be valuable to another team, why aren't they valuable to us? Would the players we get in exchange for them better our position? I think not. Whitney is the absolute soul of this team right now and Cullen brings  it every game. With all the bashing we've done this year (JR, Maurice, A. Ward, Staal, Cam and almost everyone else, no one has bad mouthed Whitney and Cullen! An earlier poster said that they aren't getting any younger. That's true, but every team needs veteran leadership and these two provide it. Loan them out to contenders for the playoffs if they want, but PLEASE bring them back next year.