The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Appstatecanesfan

"50% of the team will be different next year" -JR

[quote name='Ramp23 wrote:

Category5']I love what Brindy has done for us over the years, but it is time for him to retire. If I were JR, I would sit Whitney down and ask him where he would like to go for the rest of the year (but I would make sure he knows that we want him back next year and I would even promise him Captain when he comes back). Try and get a good trade for renting him for the rest of the year and hopefully he would want to come back. I would also ask Cullen where he would like to finish the year and make sure he also knows that we want him back.

I agree. Some here have said we should trade Whitney and Cullen because they have the most value. That thought process makes no sense to me. If they would be valuable to another team, why aren't they valuable to us? Would the players we get in exchange for them better our position? I think not. Whitney is the absolute soul of this team right now and Cullen brings  it every game. With all the bashing we've done this year (JR, Maurice, A. Ward, Staal, Cam and almost everyone else, no one has bad mouthed Whitney and Cullen! An earlier poster said that they aren't getting any younger. That's true, but every team needs veteran leadership and these two provide it. Loan them out to contenders for the playoffs if they want, but PLEASE bring them back next year.

You can't loan them out. Once you trade a player you give up every right to them. All you can really hope for is that some other team won't throw too much money at him once he becomes a UFA in July and that he really wants to come back to Raleigh.

I love what Brindy has done for us over the years, but it is time for him to retire. If I were JR, I would sit Whitney down and ask him where he would like to go for the rest of the year (but I would make sure he knows that we want him back next year and I would even promise him Captain when he comes back). Try and get a good trade for renting him for the rest of the year and hopefully he would want to come back. I would also ask Cullen where he would like to finish the year and make sure he also knows that we want him back.
The one thing missing out of this statements is first to ask Whitney IF he wants to go anywhere for the remainder of the season.  Who knows if he has any desire to make another run.  He may be comfortable with his existing cup and staying here with his family. 

Yesterday, I was cleaning my bird cages.  I grabbed some newspaper from a old stack I have and a very large headline caught my eye "Whitney happy to stay home".  It was an article from right after the all star announcement last year when Staal was selected but Whitney was not despite leading our team in scoring.  The whole article was about how it didn't matter to him about not being selected because he would much rather spend the time with his family.  Who knows if he would be willing to leave his family for another run.  He asked for a NTC for a reason.

I can't type any specifics from the article because it's already been pooped on. laugh.gif

[quote name='krad wrote:

Ramp23 wrote:

Category5']I love what Brindy has done for us over the years, but it is time for him to retire. If I were JR, I would sit Whitney down and ask him where he would like to go for the rest of the year (but I would make sure he knows that we want him back next year and I would even promise him Captain when he comes back). Try and get a good trade for renting him for the rest of the year and hopefully he would want to come back. I would also ask Cullen where he would like to finish the year and make sure he also knows that we want him back.

I agree. Some here have said we should trade Whitney and Cullen because they have the most value. That thought process makes no sense to me. If they would be valuable to another team, why aren't they valuable to us? Would the players we get in exchange for them better our position? I think not. Whitney is the absolute soul of this team right now and Cullen brings  it every game. With all the bashing we've done this year (JR, Maurice, A. Ward, Staal, Cam and almost everyone else, no one has bad mouthed Whitney and Cullen! An earlier poster said that they aren't getting any younger. That's true, but every team needs veteran leadership and these two provide it. Loan them out to contenders for the playoffs if they want, but
PLEASE
bring them back next year.

You can't loan them out. Once you trade a player you give up every right to them. All you can really hope for is that some other team won't throw too much money at him once he becomes a UFA in July and that he really wants to come back to Raleigh.Then I say try to sign them. I still think it's stupid to give up a proven player, one who you know fits your team, for a question mark!

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

The one thing missing out of this statements is first to ask Whitney IF he wants to go anywhere for the remainder of the season.  Who knows if he has any desire to make another run.  He may be comfortable with his existing cup and staying here with his family. 

Yesterday, I was cleaning my bird cages.  I grabbed some newspaper from a old stack I have and a very large headline caught my eye "Whitney happy to stay home".  It was an article from right after the all star announcement last year when Staal was selected but Whitney was not despite leading our team in scoring.  The whole article was about how it didn't matter to him about not being selected because he would much rather spend the time with his family.  Who knows if he would be willing to leave his family for another run.  He asked for a NTC for a reason.

I can't type anything specific from the article because it's already been pooped on.  laugh.gif

IMO, it's too early to make a statement like this. Yeah, changes will be made, and maybe a lot of them. But there is still half of a season left. I'm not saying that they're gonna make the playoffs, but 50% of the team is a big shake up.

Well, I understand most of the points about Matt and Raymond, and surely: Ray is one hell of a player and a classy person. Asking me, I would like to keep him as well.

But on the other hand: If we are heading for a rebuild and go with a lot of young and fresh players, there HAS to be room for them. We surely wouldn't want our offensive talent to take over the 4th line and play for 5 minutes a game.

Let's do a simple count on relevant top 9 forwards: Staal, Ruutu, Jokinen, Cole, Sutter, Whitney, Cullen, Samsonov, Rosey, (Brindy). Now that makes 10. Where would promising talent like Tlustly, Samson, Boychuk, Bowman find spots to make? We have to "get rid" of some players in order to start the rebuild, and with the contracts of Whitney and Cullen running out at the end of season, they seem to be good candidates.

Now looking up performances, I think it would be better to look at Brindy (retirement?), Rosey (back to the 4 th line?), Samsonov (trade? buyout?), but that could come out somewhat difficult if Brindy isn't goin to retire and we don't find a proper solution for Sammy. Imagine a 4th line made of Brindy and LaRose, now that would be a hell of salary to pay on 2 4th liners.

In the end, I have no master plan of what can be done, but I'm confident in JR will find a way to get things done. All I can really say is that I would LOVE to see a lot of our young prospects in the NHL next season, for I think they have a lot of excitement to bring to this team.

On that "Boychuk isn't ready" thing: I think it's hard to tell if he is ready, he's been put on the 4th line playing 4-7 minutes a game...you simply can't expect him to build any confidence or bring up a good offensive production by doing this.