The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Mayo83

Brind'Amour

[quote name='TSA wrote:

legend-1 wrote:

TSA']

Mo's been winning too much lately, there needs to be something to complain about.
wink.gif

More like Cam's been stealing games that shoulda been blow outs actually at the own accord of the players. 
Nope, that would be too logical.  Its always Mo's fault.  pimp.gif

I have finally turned TSA to the dark side! LOL

[quote name='TSA wrote:

legend-1 wrote:

TSA']

Mo's been winning too much lately, there needs to be something to complain about.
wink.gif

More like Cam's been stealing games that shoulda been blow outs actually at the own accord of the players. 
Nope, that would be too logical.  Its always Mo's fault.  pimp.gif

Just like Bill Belichek is a moron now to smile.gif

[quote name='legend-1 wrote:

TSA wrote:

legend-1']

Nope, that would be too logical.  Its always Mo's fault. 
pimp.gif

Just like Bill Belichek is a moron now to smile.gif

Well he did have a "MO-riffic" look on his face as the football game faded away!!

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

ivyleager']How many thread and post do we have to have about Brind'Amour? This is like the 4th this year? Give it up.

me or the original poster?

The whole darn thread!

How many thread and post do we have to have about Brind'Amour? This is like the 4th this year? Give it up.

It's for the determined at heart to beat the Brindy situation into the ground.  I hate this situation as much as I hate losing. 

Actually, it had some interesting comments until it got jacked -- again.
What was interesting or even new?  Just some talk of whether Brindy retires or gets bought out.  We've had those discussions over and over. 

How many thread and post do we have to have about Brind'Amour? This is like the 4th this year? Give it up.

Hmm.  Well, he is our captain and one of the best players to ever wear the Carolina jersey, so what's the problem?  Sure, we've heard it all before, but people obviously still want to talk about it.  Frankly, I'd be irritated if there hadn't been a lot of talk about Rod this year.  I'm sure that, during his last season in Toronto, there was only one message board thread about Mats Sundin.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

krad']Actually, it had some interesting comments until it got jacked -- again.

What was interesting or even new?  Just some talk of whether Brindy retires or gets bought out.  We've had those discussions over and over.  

You might not find informed opinions interesting, even when its the "same old stuff" mixed in with personal opinion. I do. And Mayo83 didn't start a new thread, I did, by merging some selected comments about Brind'Amour to their own thread to simplify things and keep from having to read about him in 20 other threads. Plus, it should make it easier to direct some of us who have a problem staying on topic to find the right thread to post in.

[quote name='krad wrote:

super-dave-1 wrote:

krad']Actually, it had some interesting comments until it got jacked -- again.

You might not find informed opinions interesting, even when its the "same old stuff" mixed in with personal opinion. I do. And Mayo83 didn't start a new thread, I did, by merging some selected comments about Brind'Amour to their own thread to simplify things and keep from having to read about him in 20 other threads. Plus, it should make it easier to direct some of us who have a problem staying on topic to find the right thread to post in.

You saying my opinions aren't informed or interesting or that I can't appreciate them?  Whatever.  Once again it seems that "on topic" and "thread jacking" once again is up in the air.  Maybe what we need is a thread for each player in which to discuss items pertaining to that player.

Seriously, there wasn't anything new here.  That's cool too because we've been known to beat a dead horse around here from time to time.  I was just pointing out that the horse was dead, but I'd be glad to help beat it some more.  We've been discussing the declining play of Brindy for a couple of years now in one thread or another.

krad wrote:

super-dave-1']What was interesting or even new?  Just some talk of whether Brindy retires or gets bought out.  We've had those discussions over and over.  

You saying my opinions aren't informed or interesting or that I can't appreciate them?  Whatever.  Once again it seems that "on topic" and "thread jacking" once again is up in the air.  Maybe what we need is a thread for each player in which to discuss items pertaining to that player.

Seriously, there wasn't anything new here.  That's cool too because we've been known to beat a dead horse around here from time to time.  I was just pointing out that the horse was dead, but I'd be glad to help beat it some more.  We've been discussing the declining play of Brindy for a couple of years now in one thread or another.

Why the spin? You asked me what I found interesting and I told you it was informed opinions. And starting this thread has nothing to do with beating a dead horse. It was opend for those who want keep sharing their opinions on the Brindy situation without having to check all the other threads to find the latest comments. Just because there is nothing new for you or me doesn't mean that others can't keep talking about it. Participation is voluntary, so is ignoring the thread.

[quote name='krad wrote:

super-dave-1 wrote:

krad']You might not find informed opinions interesting, even when its the "same old stuff" mixed in with personal opinion. I do. And Mayo83 didn't start a new thread, I did, by merging some selected comments about Brind'Amour to their own thread to simplify things and keep from having to read about him in 20 other threads. Plus, it should make it easier to direct some of us who have a problem staying on topic to find the right thread to post in.

Why the spin? You asked me what I found interesting and I told you it was informed opinions. And starting this thread has nothing to do with beating a dead horse. It was opend for those who want keep sharing their opinions on the Brindy situation without having to check all the other threads to find the latest comments. Just because there is nothing new for you or me doesn't mean that others can't keep talking about it. Participation is voluntary, so is ignoring the thread.

No spin started by me.  I just offered my "informed opinion" that there wasn't anything new here after you said that there was some interesting conversation before the thread got jacked. 

Anyway, Brindy was a +1 last night against the Leafs.  Listened to Chuck K's interview with Brindy last night and he seemed really humbled by the healthy scratch and the performance by him and the team this year.  You guys can think what you want about Brindy retiring at the end of the season.  I think he hangs on until there is no more.   It's not a matter of pride or doing the honorable thing.  I don't even think it's a matter of money.  I think he loves to play and isn't going to hang them up on his own.  My money is on a buyout.  If J.R. wants to change half the roster, then I can't see Brindy being on the roster next year.  If there is a retirement, I think it will be a result of retiring to avoid being bought out and he gets a position with the organization.  My informed opinion.

I found the comments the Leafs announcers made last night regarding Brind'Amour and the Hall of Fame interesting. They seemed to think he has a pretty good shot at it (and of course they also mentioned his 'slowing down' and 'being near the end'). I hope he makes it into the HOF, and I hope that he will consider what his legacy should look like.

krad wrote:

super-dave-1']

No spin started by me.  I just offered my "informed opinion" that there wasn't anything new here after you said that there was some interesting conversation before the thread got jacked. 

Anyway, Brindy was a +1 last night against the Leafs

He's had a few +1 games of late. More ice time, too. See this NEW years stats:

G A P PIM PP SH S S% Shifts TOI FO% Jan 12 '10   CAR @ TOR 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 1 0.0 18 13:41 57.1 Jan 10 '10   OTT @ CAR* 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 100.0 19 13:34 46.7 Jan 08 '10   COL @ CAR 0 1 1 0 2 0 0 0

16 11:24 60.0 Jan 07 '10   CAR @ NSH 1 0 1 1 4 0 0 2 50.0 15 10:04 66.7 Jan 02 '10   CAR @ NYR 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0.0 8 5:44 50.0 * scored game winning goal

Man needs to shoot more.

Keep this in mind. If Rob doesn't retire and the team keeps him on the roster, than he's taking up, not only salary, but a spot that could be used for a number of reasons (developing a prospect, acquiring a suitable replacement, etc.). This is something that Rob should consider when thinking about retiring. Even if he feels up to playing, it would be selfish to occupy a roster spot when he's not playing the way he used to.

Keep this in mind. If Rob doesn't retire and the team keeps him on the roster, than he's taking up, not only salary, but a spot that could be used for a number of reasons (developing a prospect, acquiring a suitable replacement, etc.). This is something that Rob should consider when thinking about retiring. Even if he feels up to playing, it would be selfish to occupy a roster spot when he's not playing the way he used to.
I think your keyboard has the b and d keys messed up. It's RODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. The left middle finger key.  No Rob on this team.

sorry

Assuming you are talking about Rod.  He has a contract with this team, it is not selfish on his part to honor it.  I would deem it a poor business decision on the part of the Canes to give a 36 year old a 5 year contract  for that amount of money no matter who he is.  Especially when the CBA has strict cap rules regarding this contract because of his age.  The org gets what they deserve for this decision, hopefully it's a learning lesson and won't happen again.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

Puckthief55']Keep this in mind. If Rob doesn't retire and the team keeps him on the roster, than he's taking up, not only salary, but a spot that could be used for a number of reasons (developing a prospect, acquiring a suitable replacement, etc.). This is something that Rob should consider when thinking about retiring. Even if he feels up to playing, it would be selfish to occupy a roster spot when he's not playing the way he used to.

Assuming you are talking about Rod.  He has a contract with this team, it is not selfish on his part to honor it.  I would deem it a poor business decision on the part of the Canes to give a 36 year old a 5 year contract  for that amount of money no matter who he is.  Especially when the CBA has strict cap rules regarding this contract because of his age.  The org gets what they deserve for this decision, hopefully it's a learning lesson and won't happen again.

Yea, in hindsight it was too long but I can also understand JR's optimism. Even if Brindy was 36, he just came off of 70 and 82 point Selke-Trophy winning seasons, had brought the Stanley Cup to Raleigh, was in better condition than most Canes and was the undisputed leader of a locker room full of guys many expected to repeat or get close to it, it wasn't really all that risky and probably timed just right career wise. I'm sure many would agree that if hadn't torn his ACL in Feb 08 with an additional surgery in Sep 08 (and maybe trying to come back too early), we most likely wouldn't even have this conversation right now.     

Yea, in hindsight it was too long but I can also understand JR's optimism. Even if Brindy was 36, he just came off of 70 and 82 point Selke-Trophy winning seasons, had brought the Stanley Cup to Raleigh, was in better condition than most Canes and was the undisputed leader of a locker room full of guys many expected to repeat or get close to it, it wasn't really all that risky and probably timed just right career wise. I'm sure many would agree that if hadn't torn his ACL in Feb 08 with an additional surgery in Sep 08 (and maybe trying to come back too early), we most likely wouldn't even have this conversation right now.     

Thank you!

In my mind, and probably several other Caniacs, Rod surpassed Francis as the cornerstone of the francise when he lifted Lord Stanley's Cup... and I told him that at the STH party.  I don't care how bad his stats are, he'd always be welcome on my team.  Now we'd have to talk about money, though... I'm not crazy.

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

Puckthief55']Keep this in mind. If Rob doesn't retire and the team keeps him on the roster, than he's taking up, not only salary, but a spot that could be used for a number of reasons (developing a prospect, acquiring a suitable replacement, etc.). This is something that Rob should consider when thinking about retiring. Even if he feels up to playing, it would be selfish to occupy a roster spot when he's not playing the way he used to.

I think your keyboard has the b and d keys messed up. It's RODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. The left middle finger key.  No Rob on this team.

Maybe he's using an acronym for Rod "Ol' Man" Brind 'amour.

It's a thought, and I'm bored.

[quote name='jb_online wrote:

krad']

Thank you!

In my mind, and probably several other Caniacs, Rod surpassed Francis as the cornerstone of the francise when he lifted Lord Stanley's Cup... and I told him that at the STH party.  I don't care how bad his stats are, he'd always be welcome on my team.  Now we'd have to talk about money, though... I'm not crazy.

I agree with everything  krad said about Brindy and the contract  and would add that it was also a reward for bringing the cup to this franchise.

As for JB's  statement that Brindy has surpassed  Francis as the cornerstone  of this franchise I have to disagree.  Ron belongs with the elite of his era. He is the one who made this franchise work in North Carolina. I know that    this is  a personal opinion  so I respect JB's view but as good as he has been Rod ain't no Ron IMO.