The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Mayo83

Brind'Amour

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

jb_online wrote:

krad']

Yea, in hindsight it was too long but I can also understand JR's optimism. Even if Brindy was 36, he just came off of 70 and 82 point Selke-Trophy winning seasons, had brought the Stanley Cup to Raleigh, was in better condition than most Canes and was the undisputed leader of a locker room full of guys many expected to repeat or get close to it, it wasn't really all that risky and probably timed just right career wise. I'm sure many would agree that if hadn't torn his ACL in Feb 08 with an additional surgery in Sep 08 (and maybe trying to come back too early), we most likely wouldn't even have this conversation right now.     

Thank you!

In my mind, and probably several other Caniacs, Rod surpassed Francis as the cornerstone of the francise when he lifted Lord Stanley's Cup... and I told him that at the STH party.  I don't care how bad his stats are, he'd always be welcome on my team.  Now we'd have to talk about money, though... I'm not crazy.

I agree with everything  krad said about Brindy and the contract  and would add that it was also a reward for bringing the cup to this franchise.

As for JB's  statement that Brindy has surpassed  Francis as the cornerstone  of this franchise I have to disagree.  Ron belongs with the elite of his era. He is the one who made this franchise work in North Carolina. I know that    this is  a personal opinion  so I respect JB's view but as good as he has been Rod ain't no Ron IMO.

Just to be clear, we saw Ron play during his waning years. We saw Rod play during his prime. Yes, Ron gave the franchise credibility, and at a VERY NICE PRICE. Ron is a Hall of Famer, but he did not earn that during his years here at Carolina. He earned that playing along side Mario up in Pittsburgh. Rod earned he street cred right here in Carolina. To me, Ron is more Pittsburgh....Rod is all Carolina.

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

OBXer wrote:

jb_online']Thank you!

In my mind, and probably several other Caniacs, Rod surpassed Francis as the cornerstone of the francise when he lifted Lord Stanley's Cup... and I told him that at the STH party.  I don't care how bad his stats are, he'd always be welcome on my team.  Now we'd have to talk about money, though... I'm not crazy.

I agree with everything  krad said about Brindy and the contract  and would add that it was also a reward for bringing the cup to this franchise.

As for JB's  statement that Brindy has surpassed  Francis as the cornerstone  of this franchise I have to disagree.  Ron belongs with the elite of his era. He is the one who made this franchise work in North Carolina. I know that    this is  a personal opinion  so I respect JB's view but as good as he has been Rod ain't no Ron IMO.

Just to be clear, we saw Ron play during his waning years. We saw Rod play during his prime. Yes, Ron gave the franchise credibility, and at a VERY NICE PRICE. Ron is a Hall of Famer, but he did not earn that during his years here at Carolina. He earned that playing along side Mario up in Pittsburgh. Rod earned he street cred right here in Carolina. To me, Ron is more Pittsburgh....Rod is all Carolina.

Ron Francis' numbers..

1990–91Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL142911212471017241991–92Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL7021335430218192761992–93Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL842476100681261117191993–94Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL8227669362602261994–95Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL4411485918126131941995–96Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL772792119561136941996–97Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL8127639020512321997–98Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL8125628720615621998–99Carolina HurricanesNHL8221315234301101999–00Carolina HurricanesNHL7823507318—————2000–01Carolina HurricanesNHL8215506532300002001–02Carolina HurricanesNHL8027507718236101662002–03Carolina HurricanesNHL8222355730—————2003–04Carolina HurricanesNHL6810203014—————

I think his numbers here are pretty comparable to those in Pitts.. AND he was older here..

Brindy deserved his reward.  In retrospect, however, JR probably should have structured the contract to be more declining in $$.  Cap hit is the same, but it gives internal real cap space.  5 years is debatable as whether it was too long.  Only looks like it now because of the knee tear up.

[quote name='jeromeo87 wrote:

ivyleager wrote:

OBXer']I agree with everything  krad said about Brindy and the contract  and would add that it was also a reward for bringing the cup to this franchise.

Ron Francis' numbers..

1990–91Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL142911212471017241991–92Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL7021335430218192761992–93Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL842476100681261117191993–94Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL8227669362602261994–95Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL4411485918126131941995–96Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL772792119561136941996–97Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL8127639020512321997–98Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL8125628720615621998–99Carolina HurricanesNHL8221315234301101999–00Carolina HurricanesNHL7823507318—————2000–01Carolina HurricanesNHL8215506532300002001–02Carolina HurricanesNHL8027507718236101662002–03Carolina HurricanesNHL8222355730—————2003–04Carolina HurricanesNHL6810203014—————

I think his numbers here are pretty comparable to those in Pitts.. AND he was older here..613 pts in Pittsburgh and 354 here in Raleigh. Maybe if we throw in Harford they'll be even. But, we're not talking about Hartford are we? If so, then the number MAY be comparable.

I think it'll be a while before another guy matches Ron's franchise numbers but as much as I love him, he did fall three games short of the ultimate hockey accomplishment with the Canes -- Rod didn't.

I think it'll be a while before another guy matches Ron's franchise numbers but as much as I love him, he did fall three games short of the ultimate hockey accomplishment with the Canes -- Rod didn't.
So using this logic Raymond Bourque would have points taken off because he didn't win the cup with the Bruins but with the AV's...Hmmm.

The nice thing about this discussion is we aren't arguing over  trades, who is tanking or whats wrong with the Canes. We are arguing over who is the best out of two of the best who ever played for the Canes.

This is the one time my arguement isn't based on stats, it's unusual for me.  But Rod won us a championship and Ron didn't.  I think that is the point.

Did Francis have more statistical success in Carolina, well it seems that way, but he didn't lead the Canes through the SC Finals successfully.  Rod did.  So in the point of view of who was more successful in achieving the highest and most desirable goal on an NHL team, it's Brind'Amour.  Francis got us to the finals, but Rod won the Cup.

That's my opinion.  You respect the stats more than the championship, and that's cool.  I just don't agree.

[quote name=OBXer]

The nice thing about this discussion is we aren't arguing over  trades, who is tanking or whats wrong with the Canes. We are arguing over who is the best out of two of the best who ever played for the Canes.

Agreed, this has evolved into a pretty good discussion.  We're on a roll lately. woohoo.gif

I know I'm late to the party but I listened to part of the game on XM on the way home from work tonight, and the Red Wing broadcasters said very matter-of-factly that there's been lots of talk about Jim Rutheford looking to move Rod Brind'Amour by the deadline.  There's been plenty of talk from the fans about something like that happening but this was the first time I've heard it from a fairly legitimate source.  These guys went on to talk about JR and his glory days in Detroit and there was a ton of respect given to him so I doubt they'd throw a rumor our there like this without something to back it up.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I listened to part of the game on XM on the way home from work tonight, and the Red Wing broadcasters said very matter-of-factly that there's been lots of talk about Jim Rutheford looking to move Rod Brind'Amour by the deadline. 

this was the first time I've heard it from a fairly legitimate source.  These guys went on to talk about JR and his glory days in Detroit and there was a ton of respect given to him so I doubt they'd throw a rumor our there like this without something to back it up.   

I would think the Detroit broadcasters would have  a pretty good source on this one.  I don't think they were just filling dead air. Brindy has played better lately and a playoff team may want his    face off ability. I would  think  that team would have to have deep pockets. This will be interesting...I think.

If the Hurricanes could trade Brind'Amour it would be a watershed moment for the end of an era (overall a very good one) and the beginning of another. Also, to offload that contract would be a bonus. The only problem with doing this too soon would be we could kiss last place and the number one pick goodbye. Still, to free up that cap space and move forward, it would be well worth it. And maybe Rod could have one last run in the playoffs.

Why do you think moving Brindy would cost us a chance at the #1 pick? I don't think we have anything left at the farm to make enough of an impact to jump out of the cellar.

Why do you think moving Brindy would cost us a chance at the #1 pick? I don't think we have anything left at the farm to make enough of an impact to jump out of the cellar.
You mean to tell me you haven't heard Rems theory?  grin.gif

I'd be shocked to see him moved to another team. I really think he'll retire with some possible link to the organization somewhere/somehow. That way he can have Rod Brindamour night and rightfully deserves it. The bad news is is that this should have happened two years ago....ah well.....enough. He definitely isn't returning next year so retirement makes only sense.

I'd be shocked to see him moved to another team. I really think he'll retire with some possible link to the organization somewhere/somehow. That way he can have Rod Brindamour night and rightfully deserves it. The bad news is is that this should have happened two years ago....ah well.....enough. He definitely isn't returning next year so retirement makes only sense.
He can still have Rod Brind'Amour night. Francis was traded to Toronto at the deadline, then the lockout, then retired. He had a hellova party here at the RBC.

I think its a safe bet to assume a Rod Brind'Amour night will be in our future. I also would be shocked to see him traded but you never know.  Personally, I would lean to giving Rod the edge in the franchise tag, he did lead us to the Cup.  I hope he gets to the Hall.