The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Staal Named Captain

Well, let the rebuild begin. So does this mean Staal will now play every game, every shift? Or does this still give him the pass to play Jagr-esque every 3rd game or so? Only time will tell.

Looks like the move to the future will begin soon. I think they want Staal in place before the new kids come in and let him lead the next generation of youth. I preferred Gleason in our little forum poll but I'm not surprised to see Staal move into it and thats a fine choice too.

Well, people have been asking for it and there it is. Time for the rest of the guys to stand behind Eric and for him to lead by example.

Agreed, it looks as if the fire sale will begin soon and JR wants the new leadership in place to welcome the newly aquired players when they get here.

I had to let this sink in before posting.

I'm sorry, but I don't like this, not at all. I felt that Tim Gleason deserved the C more than Eric Staal. Gleason has heart and has shown his heart. Staal hasn't shown up since we won the Cup, and to me doesn't bring his A game every night, only when he feels like showing up. He has potential, but doesn't use it. I'm just completely floored by this decision. Way to slap Roddy in the face by stripping him of the C. I honestly felt this should have been done in the off season and let him bow out gracefully.

All I can say, it's lets see what the prima donna does or doesn't do now.

Why now?  I'm not buying the fire sale reasoning.  I'm not saying that a change wasn't needed, but what is to be salvaged now?  If this is Brindy's idea, let's get a press conference done or at least a statement from him.  Is this is supposed to light a fire under Staal?  Is this supposed to excite the fanbase? 

I thought this was coming after this year.  Strange times in Canesland.

Probably also means that JR will not be able to trade Brind'Amour. One would assume that such a trade would have preceded this move.

I can only assume that the team is pushing on a reluctant Brind'Amour. Obviously that is a guess, but I didn't see a quote indicating that Brind'Amour gave the captaincy up. I also suspect that that pathetic effort vs. Tampa signaled to JR that is was about to unwind into really bad efforts.

As mentioned this is probably the first step in the house cleaning. The only downside is that a rejuvenated Staal and team might start winning and move us up out of the #1 draft slot. It is starting to get interesting though.

edit: I probably would have waited for the Olympic break, let us keep that #30 spot. Something must be pushing this.

Why now?  I'm not buying the fire sale reasoning.  I'm not saying that a change wasn't needed, but what is to be salvaged now?  If this is Brindy's idea, let's get a press conference done or at least a statement from him.  Is this is supposed to light a fire under Staal?  Is this supposed to excite the fanbase? 

I doubt its to salvage anything this year.  Its all about the future now and I have to believe that Brind'Amour had some say with this decision too.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

super-dave-1']

I have to believe that Brind'Amour had some say with this decision too.

I'm not saying he didn't, but mention of that seems conspicuously absent from the press release. I can't help get the feeling between the huge time it took management to deal with this, to the healthy scratch, to this, that Rod is not going out easily.

the first step in recovery is recognizing you have a problem.

Canes just did that with the 'we are rebuilding" statment, 2nd step is taking the steps to acheive the goal, which includes not having a Captain on the 4th line and a -22. Supposedly there was some unwritten 'veto power' for brindy about being a "C" that he has resisted giving it up, but guess the time has finally come to Clean house and if brining up the next generation of Hurricanes, might as Well do it with a new leader NOW, than wait and do it in the offseason. if we were competitive and not cleaning house, can see waiting until after the season, but if brining the young players up, dumping players for picks/other young players, why not start the new direction NOW.

makes more sense to me to do this now, than have a "lame duck" "C" until end of year and then give it to staal after the season, do it now and let the him Build the chemistry and rapport with the Young players as the leader from time up here

From Staal's overall on ice performance, I don't see him as captain. What he is like in the locker room and team meetings is, of course. unkown. The move is a not-so-subtle message to Rod it is time to hang up the skates.

Spin it how they want...it was a rare display of class-less-ness by the Canes organization. JR's stock went down with me.

Replacing captain mid season with no chance to make the playoffs = FAIL.

According to the Blog... Rod had the last say...In a behind closed door meeting between the 3 of them...If this is the truth... the whole truth... and nothing but the truth... Roddy just showed why he is/was the Captain of the Hurricanes!!! We all knew it was coming and the way the season is going I don't think it mattered when... JR promised us "change" and I guess the changing has begun... I will miss Cullen/Whitney/Walker and whoever else ends up being a rental player...I hope thats all they are and I Hope they find their way back home... GO CANES!!!

Per the interview:

Rod will not be traded, will finish his career as a Cane and will have his number retired like Francis and Wesley.

Per the interview:

Rod will not be traded, will finish his career as a Cane and will have his number retired like Francis and Wesley.

READ: Bribe for not making a scene. sick.gif