The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Staal Named Captain

I agree with those who say the fire sale is about to begin and you want your new captain in place.  I'm sure this was a tough decision for Brindy but he knows it was time. I will be surprised if Brindy waits until the end of the year to announce his intentions to retire. Something had to be done and it was. Only time will tell if Staal is the right choice. I hope Staal rises to the occasion.   

Per the interview:

Rod will not be traded, will finish his career as a Cane and will have his number retired like Francis and Wesley.

like to hear that, and tells me , just did to get the rebuilding underway AND change the lockeroom. Do not understand the "classless" comments, if anything its been long overdue, And like francis going to Toronto as a rental player- its just sports, that for *all* players there comes a time to move on...

I will cherish the great moments brindy had as a Cane, and will rejoyce when they retire his number.. but i don't think holding on to the last possible second is ever needed, nor does it show classless behaivor to FINALLY announce what all knew and have been waiting for

Classless would have been putting Rod on waivers, not letting him decide when the change should happen. Staal is the Captain of this team and no disrespect to Gleason but I would see him butting heads with a lot of people in a locker room just because how blunt he is with everything. while it is great for an interview it may not always be the right thing in a locker room setting. From what I can see, Staal has a level head and knows when to push and when not to. anyway, Hope this doesn't spark the team to a huge run and ruin our chance at a top 2 pick.

P.S. Anybody know how much a C is to add to a jersey at the eye?

Honestly wish this woulda happened before the coaching move. I think it would have been interesting to see Staal captaining this team who actually liked Lavi whereas Brindy very obviously did not and fought him along the way. 

N/O

General manager Jim Rutherford announced today that forward Eric Staal would replace Rod Brind'Amour as captain. He said he first discussed the decision with Brind'Amour, who led the Canes to the 2006 Stanley Cup, and said Brind'Amour had the right to veto the move, but agreed it would be best for a team in last place in the NHL.

"It's something we were planning on doing at some point in time, not knowing exactly when that would be," Rutherford said. "I've had a couple of conversations with Rod over the last month or two ... just to see how he's doing in the overall scheme of things.

"Rod has been a great leader for his whole career and a great captain for us," Rutherford said. "He hoisted the Stanley Cup and led this team to the conference finals a year ago. ... "I made it very clear to Rod that if this is not the right time or the right thing to do, that he had every right to speak up.

"But once there was some thought put into it, both (Brind'Amour and Staal) were comfortable with each other. Then it was time to move forward.

"It was my decision to move it along, but I view it more as a mutual decision because I gave Rod the opportunity to veto it."

contin in link

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/canes/story/294228.html

I listened to the interview with JR and David Glenn on 99.9 and as everyone else has said, Rod had the last word on this issue. Rod has been nothing but class in handling the way things have been going this season. He could have vetoed it and caused a further riff in the locker-room, but didn't. From being demoted to healthy scratch to now handing over the reins to Staal. When he retires after next season and gets his number put up in the rafters with the "Franchise" and Wesley.

If the C had gone to Gleason, how many people would have said "but what about staal?" Answer: none.  Gleason works his butt off night in and night out and never gets any respect for it...but I never hear anything in the media about Staal's poor performance night in and night out. Not only has he not earned the C in my opinion, I can think of at least 3 more people ahead of him that deserve it more (Gleason, Whitney, Ruutu, with honorable mentions to Walker, Cullen, LaRose).

Everyone can realize that Brindy's time was up, but everyone can also agree that he needs to be treated with the utmost respect for what he has done for our team.  Stripping him of the C at this point in the season was disrespectful in my opinion, regardless of what his stats are.  Did they do this to Francis when his time came? Of course not.  I don't care what place we are in this year, Brind'amour is our captain, and if that doesn't satisfy JR, well then the next worthy person in line should get the C...and that should have been Gleason.

Not surprised at all really. Some of us want Gleason, but Staal was always the choice. He's done well when Rod has gone down and been out before, so now it's time to see what he can do with the permanent leader status.

This move can only be properly judged at the end of the season.

If the C had gone to Gleason, how many people would have said "but what about staal?" Answer: none.  Gleason works his butt off night in and night out and never gets any respect for it...but I never hear anything in the media about Staal's poor performance night in and night out. Not only has he not earned the C in my opinion, I can think of at least 3 more people ahead of him that deserve it more (Gleason, Whitney, Ruutu, with honorable mentions to Walker, Cullen, LaRose).

Everyone can realize that Brindy's time was up, but everyone can also agree that he needs to be treated with the utmost respect for what he has done for our team.  Stripping him of the C at this point in the season was disrespectful in my opinion, regardless of what his stats are.  Did they do this to Francis when his time came? Of course not.  I don't care what place we are in this year, Brind'amour is our captain, and if that doesn't satisfy JR, well then the next worthy person in line should get the C...and that should have been Gleason.

I would have said what about Staal, so there's one.  and passing on the C and being stripped of the C are two different things. Also, I love Chad Larose but he is not captain material, hustler on the ice yes but not a captain. 

Looks like I am in the minority, but I think this is the right move.

Staal is getting paid the big bucks.  This may be a way of motivating him, getting him to step it up a notch, by giving him the added responsibility of the captaincy.  Sure, you can say he shouldn't need any motivation, but it is obvious that he does.  He is here for the long haul, and he is getting paid a lot of money.  Whatever JR needs to do to get the most payback for that money is what he should do.  The heck with who deserved it, whatever benefits the team the most is what needs to be done.

As far as those who say it was classless to treat Brindy this way, I turn around and say it is classless for a guy to get paid 3 mil a year and take the roster spot of a more deserving youngster, when they are no longer capable of playing at anything close to an NHL level on a daily basis.  A five year contract was Rod's reward for his role in winning the Stanley Cup.  The debt is paid.  The only thing more the Hurricanes owe him is a nice retirement ceremony and a great big #17 jersey in the rafters.

As much as I like Gleason, I never really felt the C would go to anyone but Staal.  JR even stated he had made that decision several years ago.  Personally, I think trading Brind'Amour or putting him on waivers would have been disrespectful.  I can only take at face value what JR, Roddy and Staal have stated - this was a decision that was discussed amongst them and all of them were comfortable that now would be a better time than at the end of the season.  It makes me really happy that Brindy will retire a Hurricane.  That's the way it should be.  He will likely be the last banner we see raised for quite some time.  I know I will be there on that night.

As far as Staal, I'll give him the rest of the season before I make any comments on how he handles the captaincy.  I think everyone deserves a chance.  What I wanna know is, IS HE HURT OR NOT?

Okay Remkin, it's time to put your theory to the test there bud. wink.gif

Love the move. It gave Rod a final call on it and it put the pressure on him. It allowed the Canes to still give Rod the ability to retire with the Canes, but it starts the wheels in motion for Brindamour to retire at year's end and we can continue to rebuild. Also as much as I like Gleason and even though I know Staal hasn't done much this year, Staal put this team on his back in the 2nd half of the last 2 years and was destroying everyone in the playoffs last year until teams started to key on him. I still say that you get Staal a big time winger (hopefully we'll draft that person) and you'll get a year like '06. He's been our best offensive threat for years and all teams have to do is focus on shutting him down. Give him some offensive fire power on his line and offensive depth in the lineup and I'd like to see what he ends up doing. Gleason deserves an A no doubt, but he has been hurt some the last few years and is really the kind of behind the scenes, dirty work guy.

After reading that I hope that Brindy will take a management role with this franchise whether it be next year or farther into the future. You know how hard this must be for him, but at the same time you know how much he loves this franchise.

Congratulations Staal. Looking forward to a change in the days, weeks, years ahead.

Hopefully the headlines will fade, along with some of the pressure on Roddy.

I'd prefer Tim Gleason. I think Captain should be someone who can show the team that he's tough and can pump up the team. Tim Gleason is the man. Eric Staal is good, but he sometimes acts like he doesn't wanna play like in the third period of the game on Monday. By the way, I went to the practice at RecZone today and it seemed to me Staal did skate faster and work hard. I don't know if it's because of his new role. Hope he's gonna play better and realizes that he gotta lead the team now. And one more thing, he should stop avoiding the fans who always wait for like a half hour or more.

Staal needed the pressure, and Brindy didn't. I expect both of their games to improve. The Captaincy is more important than a letter on a jersey. Leadership both on and off the ice is a big key to motivating hockey players. Hockey is a sport which is emotionally fickle, some players perform far better when they are t'd off, or calmed down, or whatever. Its the Captain's job to help make all that a reality. I guess we'll see if Staal is ready to step up, because if he can do anything with what is left of this year, his job should be a lot easier in the years to come as he matures. It is a tough time, very tough time to assume this role. Good luck Staalsy.

The more I think about this, the more I think it needed to be done...and as a HUGE Brindy fan (my shrine to him is in my office out here in Oklahoma), I am proud as hell that he willingly and graciously handed over the reins to Eric. I agree that Gleason or Corvo would've been more appropriate picks based upon performance, but Staal is clearly whom the franchise is being built around, so this selection is a real no-brainer.

Rod knows his playing days are just about over...and we all know he's probably gonna hang up the skates after this season. I think this is management's way of motioning him ultimately towards an office/coaching position.

Love him or hate him, Rod Brind'Amour has been the heart and soul of this franchise for the past decade since his arrival from the Flyers...as a fanbase, we owe him one MASSIVE debt of gratitude. Today was another example of what a great overall player he truly is and just what a tremendous asset to the franchise he has been.

Droschak: First of Many Moves

Wednesday, 01.20.2010 / 4:16 PM / News

By David Droschak

Sitting squarely in last place in the Eastern Conference and clearly out of a playoff position, hockey’s version of March Madness for those who qualify as Carolina Hurricanes’ fans was sure to be a painful and unenviable experience. Almost unavoidable is the exodus of certain players in the final year of their contracts – some of whom raised the Stanley Cup proudly for the Canes in 2006 – who will be flying out of town soon. They’ll be attempting to land their names on hockey’s Holy Grail with a playoff contender in exchange for players or draft picks, or a combination, in GM Jim Rutherford’s grand plan to rebuild what has turned into the rubble of 2009-10.

But the first rebuilding effort for the Canes didn’t involve a jettison out of Raleigh-Durham International Airport. For the lack of a better term, it was an “Inside the Beltline” move in which Rutherford named Eric Staal the team captain, reassigning the slumping Rod Brind’Amour to alternate captain and signaling an new era for a franchise that since landing in the RBC

Center has experienced either postseason feast or famine.

Staal, a 25-year-old rising star and Olympian in a league loaded with great young talent, has been through his own struggles this season, fighting off nagging injuries while expecting to justify his huge contract extension and deal with a major life-altering issue on the home front with the recent death of his sister-in-law from cancer.

Having taken a personal leave of absence from the team for the funeral, it was unclear if Staal would return soon since Rutherford told his star forward to “take his time” and return when he was ready to perform. It would have been easier for Staal to remain in Canada and meet the club in Toronto for a road game, but he spent a full day traveling on connecting flights to get back to Raleigh for a night game against Ottawa. Staal scored in a 4-1 victory. With adjoining lockers, Brind’Amour likely turned to Staal after the victory and uttered the words “you’re ready.”

Being the captain in hockey trumps wearing the “C” in all other team sports, and it’s difficult to know when a player is “ready” to assume the importance and significance of such an honor. On the surface, Staal looks the part. He’s the team’s best player, his best years are ahead of him, his ironman status prior to an injury this season was truly impressive, and despite his meek exterior, he has an underbelly for winning. Only one player in the room may take losing harder than Staal and that’s Brind’Amour.

It appeared the Canes decided to give Brindy 20 games to “turn around” his play from a season ago, and when it didn’t come together, his ice time diminished to a speck of ice shavings from a Zamboni. Leading from the locker room and ice is one thing, leading from the locker room and your fanny is another.

The bench is no place for a captain of a hockey team and all parties involved were man enough to realize a change was necessary, and on many fronts, expected. It still doesn’t make it any easier for Brind’Amour, a 21-year NHL veteran with the work ethic of a race horse and pride of a stallion, or for the loyal fans of No. 17. It has been hard for all of us to watch the stride fade and the touch around the net go awry.

I kept struggling in the locker room to hear any sort of negative comment coming from Brind’Amour, and while my eyesight may be fading some, my hearing remains razor sharp, and there was none forthcoming. Knowing the man on a personal level, it didn’t surprise me one bit.

Rod has always been about character and team first – with individual accomplishments off in the horizon. In fact, I throw in a replay of the Cup-winning game at least once a year to “get that feeling again” and shake my head watching Brind’Amour with Cup in tow, barely taking a few strides before looking to hand it off to teammate Glen Wesley. Nothing typifies Rod more, having been traded from Philly 10 years ago for a player who was more worried about his contract with the Canes than the bottom line of building a winner in this market.

With Brind’Amour blowing away all his teammates in the preseason conditioning drills, there was hope that at 39 years old, a 75-point season was still possible. However, there were more encouraging words of “hang in there” than “congrats” after wins, which have been few and far between, and despite the discomfort of a mid-season move like this, we all can agree it was time.

It’s no accident Staal was placed next to Francis, and then Brind’Amour, squarely in the middle of the Canes locker room, since Carolina drafted him second overall in 2003. Could Staal have possibly learned from two better stewards of the game? Superstition aside, the 13th captain of the franchise is ready, willing and able to lead the recovery from the rubble.

And for No. 17, a recent talk with him about the team’s “Moments of the Decade” revealed that Brind’Amour is at peace with memories of a lifetime produced in a Canes uniform, which should make the passing of the leadership torch less painful and maybe the most tolerable of all the moves forthcoming.

Coming from a huge Gleason fan, he shouldn't be captain of this team. No doubt he'll get an 'A' once Whitney is gone, but the 'C' should not go to him. He isn't the face of the franchise and as much as I love the guy, I don't see him here past the next 2 years. He's going to test free agency. Staal is signed on long term and its been in the making since he was drafted. There is/was a reason why they set his Staal next to Francis and then next to Brind'Amour. Staal getting the 'C' shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

As for him not having the work ethic, people have too high expectations for him b/c of his salary. He's going to get you 70-85 points a year. He's already shown that he can be a good leader when he put this team on his back in 2007 and got them 1 point away from the playoffs when everyone had this team down and out when Brindy got injured. He has lead the team in the playoffs, twice. Since returning from injury he has 28 points in 23 games. No he isn't going to score every game, but guess what, neither does Ovechkin. Not to mention the kids look up to him. He was the guy in camp that stayed on the ice with the kids and did drills with them. He was the guy who invited them over to his house. He does alot more than is stated to the public.

And I think this right here is what got Brindy to agree to hand the torch over now:

Having taken a personal leave of absence from the team for the funeral, it was unclear if Staal would return soon since
Rutherford
told his star forward to “take his time” and return when he was ready to perform. It would have been easier for Staal to remain in
Canada and meet the club in Toronto
for a road game, but he spent a full day traveling on connecting flights to get back to
Raleigh for a night game against Ottawa
. Staal scored in a 4-1 victory. With adjoining lockers, Brind’Amour likely turned to Staal after the victory and uttered the words “you’re ready.”

If Staal has no work ethic, etc, I don't see him traveling all night getting home at 4:30am to play in 1 game, then travelling back to Toronto with the team when he could just had easily met them in Toronto and skipped the Ottawa game.