The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Staal Named Captain

If Brindy had the last word on this move, I can live with it. Time has caught up with Brindy and no amount of pride or will can overcome the ravages of time. I will, however, wear my 17 jersey with the C proudly for years to come. In my mind, Rod will always be "The Captain". I look forward seeing #17 rise to the rafters. I was there when #10 went up and there for #2, also. But seeing #17 rise to the rafters will be second only to seeing #17 hoist the cup in my hockey memories.

The only part about this I am shocked about is the timing. We all knew that it would be Staal that would take over, I would have thought it would not happen until next season. But, I guess I can go with the 'dealing with adversity as the leader' bit, I mean, lets face it, we can't get worse then 30th. So until Staal as the captain proves he can't do the job, I will give him the benefit. As caniac247 mentioned, Staal is in it for the long run, gleason is up after 2 years, and could be testing the market. Gleason has heart, but that doesn't mean it translates into a captain. Larose has heart as well, doesn't mean he should be a captain. There is a lot that goes on, on and off the ice that we just don't get to see, so I will just go with it and see what happens.

Well, I am now an EX-HURRICANES fan unfortunately. I understand rebuilding, blah, blah, blah, but the timing on this is BS. Really? What are you going to salvage this season by naming a prima donna as a captain half-way through? It's a complete and utter lack of respect for such a cornerstone of the team. I am so ashamed right now of having any association with the Canes. At least I can save some $$ by not having to worry about buying tix or their over-priced concessions. 10 years of my life down the drain. Thanks Jim! Hope that Benz rides good.

DoneWithCanes,

I understand your frustration, but, as big a Brindy fan as I am, I still love and support the Canes with this, no matter how much I might not like or appreciate this decision. I honestly believe that Rod has handled this entire season (and last for that matter) with the utmost respect and dignity for the game that any player could have. He has really fallen off on the stats since Laraque knocked him out with the ACL tear two seasons ago...his best days are behind him...he knows that and so does the staff and fanbase. The writing is on the wall, and I think he knows this is the best way, in the midst of all the turmoil this season has become, to make the transition. Staal, like it or not, is the future of this franchise...that's why they're paying him the $$. He's got a HUGE upside...the work ethic and attitude can be debated back and forth on another thread.

Brindy is done after this year...it will sadden me to see him hang it up, but it's time for him. He's had one hell of a massive career...and hopefully will make it to Toronto his first time eligible (my wife hope's Modano, her favorite player, will retire this year too so they both can be enshrined the same year). Mark my words, if he does retire, unless I'm deployed, I WILL be in Raleigh for his jersey retirement ceremony.

Rod Brind'Amour is still the heart and soul of this franchise...he will continue to be so until he retires, and then he will be given the appropriate office/coaching job with the organization that he's rightfully earned.

I know this won't help soothe your anger, but he's still with the organization...he's still playing...and he will continue to represent the Carolina Hurricanes with the dignity and high standards that he's always held for the game.

Why would anyone in their right mind take the time and effort to register on a Canes fan forum to tell everyone he or she is no longer a fan?  screwy.gif  Just sayin...

Was wondering the same thing. I guess the over-priced concessions really got to him. Or was it JR driving a Benz?? 

PR move or not, I am glad some people found it within themselves enough to accept and respect Brindy's endorsement.

hope you guys are happy im not brind'amour has 20 years of experience Staal has 6 years brind'amour taught Staal tricks like brind'amour is currently teaching sutter i see brindy as a leader not so much staal i see Staal as energy the only way id be happy if mo went and fransis and brind'amour take over coaching

hope you guys are happy im not brind'amour has 20 years of experience Staal has 6 years brind'amour taught Staal tricks like brind'amour is currently teaching sutter i see brindy as a leader not so much staal i see Staal as energy the only way id be happy if mo went and fransis and brind'amour take over coaching
Uh, there is a thing called a "period".  Otherwise you get...what you posted? blink.gif

And if Dr Staal ain't happy, ain't anybody happy! And..it's S T A A L. I'm never happy when fans misprint Eric Staal, or Erik Cole, or Ron Francis. I mean, it's right there on the team roster webpage.

Venting.

Oh, and Coastal, periods are overrated

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

DrStaal']hope you guys are happy im not brind'amour has 20 years of experience Staal has 6 years brind'amour taught Staal tricks like brind'amour is currently teaching sutter i see brindy as a leader not so much staal i see Staal as energy the only way id be happy if mo went and fransis and brind'amour take over coaching

Uh, there is a thing called a "period".  Otherwise you get...what you posted? blink.gif

i think i know what you mean by period but what does it have to do with A. staal B. Brindy C. Hockey

and i know i spelt it wrong at first i might of just typed it too fast see when i said it the second time i said staal so dont ++%!% people do that $$!+ all the time

[quote name='DrStaal wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

DrStaal']hope you guys are happy im not brind'amour has 20 years of experience Staal has 6 years brind'amour taught Staal tricks like brind'amour is currently teaching sutter i see brindy as a leader not so much staal i see Staal as energy the only way id be happy if mo went and fransis and brind'amour take over coaching

Uh, there is a thing called a "period".  Otherwise you get...what you posted?
blink.gif

i think i know what you mean by period but what does it have to do with A. staal B. Brindy C. Hockey

and i know i spelt it wrong at first i might of just typed it too fast see when i said it the second time i said staal so dont ++%!% people do that $$!+ all the time

No need to curse at people.  In DrStaal's defense, if you type pretty fast its easy to make the mistake of typing a double L versus a double A. I've done it before so I usually check before hitting send. 

[quote name='DrStaal wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

Uh, there is a thing called a "period".  Otherwise you get...what you posted?
blink.gif

Question:    "i think i know what you mean by period but what does it have to do with A. staal B. Brindy C. Hockey"

Answer:  Your kidding, right?

Question:  "and i know i spelt it wrong at first i might of just typed it too fast see when i said it the second time i said staal so dont ++%!% people do that $$!+ all the time"

Answer:  I would explain a period, but I've all ready answered that question above.

The only thing unexpected to me about all this is the timing. I knew it would come eventually. But right now I like this. Staal will be given a good "head-start" for captaining next season.

As a big Brind'Amour fan, I'm glad that he's handed the C over to Staal and he is a very classy guy.  I'll always wear my jersey proudly.  He's done so much for the team and I think he will continue to do so.

Well, I am now an EX-HURRICANES fan unfortunately. I understand rebuilding, blah, blah, blah, but the timing on this is BS. Really? What are you going to salvage this season by naming a prima donna as a captain half-way through? It's a complete and utter lack of respect for such a cornerstone of the team. I am so ashamed right now of having any association with the Canes. At least I can save some $$ by not having to worry about buying tix or their over-priced concessions. 10 years of my life down the drain. Thanks Jim! Hope that Benz rides good.
Give yourself time to think before cutting it all away. Nothing wrong with being upset, just sayin you might want to cool down a bit before making such strong statements. 

Well, I had to think about this for some time. In the first case, I was, in some way, kinda shocked, and I tried to consider how this must feel for Brindy: He was one top notch hockey player for more than a decade, now pushed back to 5-7 minutes on a 4th line, and now even being stripped the C of his jersey...guess he might feel like an old worn out pair of socks right now.

But thinkin about it more and more, I think this is some sort of good thing. As Brindy says, I really think it's a good thing for him to actually hand the C over to Eric Staal, a player he has seen growing up all the way to be the future, the next generation of this team, and it's Brindys honor to ring the bell for this teams rebuild by handing over that torch.

As well...this seems to be a clear signal for Rod from coaching and management staff: I think Brindy, by having so much heart for the game and this teams, just didn't realize that his days as a hockey flagship are over. He still thought he could do this, lead this team to great success, and missed that point where it was time to simply let it be and call it a career. Now with this signal, and with that great honour to handover all that reponsibility, he might also be clear about what he has done for this team, for this sport and for us fans for all this years, and though be able to retire after the season with respect.

Well, as I am german, I'm not sure if I got all the words right for posting that kinda emotional stuff, but I think you all get my point: Looking at it this way, it's no move of disrespect, but of great respect for Brindy as a person, as a captain and as a player, and I am glad to see it happen.

good article from sporting news:

Hurricanes now spell Staal with a capital 'C'

Team officials sent a strong message by naming Eric Staal captain -- they are not waiting until next season to set the struggling franchise on the right course.

There certainly were clues this was going to happen. Before a recent Carolina Hurricanes game, coach Paul Maurice was asked about Eric Staal2_bing.gif and the issues he has dealt with this season. There was the groin injury Staal was battling when the season opened, an issue that slowed his production.

Then his iron-man streak was snapped with an upper-body injury that cost him November playing time. Privately, Staal dealt with the death of his sister-in-law after a long fight with cancer.

His resolve impressed Maurice.

"He's battled through some clearly serious issues. It goes to his character," Maurice said.

And then came the clincher.

"He's our leader," Maurice added.

On Wednesday, the Hurricanes made it official. They gave him the captaincy in place of veteran Rod Brind'Amour, who will remain an alternate. Sometimes the focus is on the player who loses the C, as was the case in San Jose with Patrick Marleau2_bing.gif. But not here. This wasn't stripping Brind'Amour of his leadership duties; this was turning the team over to Staal. It's a big difference.

contin in link

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/article/2010-01-20/hurricanes-now-spell-staal-capital-c

Well, as I am german, I'm not sure if I got all the words right for posting that kinda emotional stuff, but I think you all get my point: Looking at it this way, it's no move of disrespect, but of great respect for Brindy as a person, as a captain and as a player, and I am glad to see it happen.

Ihr Englisch war ganz gut, hat die deutsche Schulbildung Sie sehr gut bedient.

I certainly understand people being a little upset at the timing of this.  However, having suffered through several miserable years of a deplorable hockey team in my native land....its not really anything new or surprising.  Sometimes moves like this and shockers are just required to shift gears.  This team was obviously stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear on the Interstate, and holding up traffic in the left lane.  The problems are multi-faceted, and this was step one of management's and Brind'amour's solution.  Some of these moves probably should have been made when we missed the playoffs 2 years ago when we lost the shootout game, and the Craps proceeded.  We were overdue for an overhaul.  The Canes will be fine. 

Good write up in the N & O with some nice quotes from Whtney, Staal, Brind'Amour, Maurice and JR:

Canes change captains

On the day Eric Staal was made captain of the Carolina Hurricanes, it also seemed fitting that he reclaimed his position as the team's top-line center.

Moving forward, in this season and the seasons to come, the Hurricanes will need Staal to be the man wearing the "C" and to be the man figuratively at the center of everything - the team leader on and off the ice, a consistent producer, someone to follow, someone to say the right things and provide inspiration in good times and bad.

"The reason for changing [captains] now is that this would be the best time for somebody to understand what it takes to be a captain - when you're in as bad a times as we're in," Rutherford said. "I really feel very strong that doing it at this point, when we've started our rebuilding of our team, is to give it to the guy who's going to lead this team on for the next several years."

Full article

"The reason for changing [captains] now is that this would be the best time for somebody to understand what it takes to be a captain - when you're in as bad a times as we're in," Rutherford said."

Nice message to send.........basically saying that Brind'Amour has no clue what being a Captain is about and Staal does?  Most of what Staal knows he was taught by Brind'Amour.  Seems to me that JR needs to learn how to think before he speaks(the words "open mouth, insert foot" come to mind).  Don't get me wrong, I know that change can be a good thing, but to do it now was a slap in the face, saying without actually saying the words "I have no confidence in you any longer, you have to go".  I don't care what the press says Brind'Amour said, it HAD to hurt.  It hurts me.  I cried, I got angry.  I would HOPE that JR has the sense to keep him when he retires, in a coaching or leadership capacity.  If not, there are other teams that will snatch him up in a heartbeat.

from branecky's write-up: "Although he essentially decided that Staal would be the next captain ofthe team several years ago, Rutherford said that his decision was onlyreinforced by how Staal handled the regime change behind the scenes."

does that bother anyone but me?  so jr essentially made that decision without waiting to see what kind of LEADER he might actually turn out to be?  yeah, i know the penguins did the same thing and it's worked out pretty well for them...but even sid goes out there and puts it all on the ice every night.  i don't see that from staal.  and apparently a lot of other posters don't either.  and i'm over reading excuses for his lack of effort.  with all consideration and sympathy aside, everyone struggles with illness and death in their families and manages to carry on in their professional lives.  i work for the state of north carolina, and we get 3 days mourning leave for the death of an IMMEDIATE family member.  c'mon....that doesn't even include in-law's.  so just please stop with the excuses...if he's hurt, he needs to stay off the ice until he's healed. 

you know, more times than not i get the feeling this team is being coached from jr's suite, not by the guys behind the bench.  eh, i guess we all knew this was coming...and if it was inevitable, then now is as good a time as any.  especially if we are going to see new a lot of faces on the team.  and yeah, brindy is doing a good job of being positive...in exchange for the last year of his contract.  what do you expect him to say?  he is a class act...no doubt about that.

so, to eric staal....i wish you well.  i will try to support you as captain.  i hope you have it in you.  and as super-dave said: "i've got my eye on you, boy."

Good write up in the N & O with some nice quotes from Whtney, Staal, Brind'Amour, Maurice and JR:

Canes change captains

RALEIGH On the day Eric Staal was made captain of the Carolina Hurricanes, it also seemed fitting that he reclaimed his position as the team's top-line center.

Full article

Wasn't he pulled from the center position due to his frustration of not being able to win a face-off?  Why do this?  As much as I don't agree with him being named the next captain due to his lack of consistent effort on the ice, putting him back into a position that caused him much frustration makes absolutely no sense to me at all. 

Look at the face-off percentages with him back at center, and they will drop.  I noticed the first game he was pulled and our face-off wins went way up.

from branecky's write-up: "Although he essentially decided that Staal would be the next captain ofthe team several years ago, Rutherford said that his decision was onlyreinforced by how Staal handled the regime change behind the scenes."

does that bother anyone but me?  so jr essentially made that decision without waiting to see what kind of LEADER he might actually turn out to be? 

Doesn't bother me one bit.  Yeah you can wait and take a passive approach to see who emerges as a leader OR you can delegate the person who was your #2 draft pick, positioned as the face of this team in an effort to build the fan base here, who had a HUGE part in bringing the team it's first Stanley Cup and then let the experienced veterans mentor him into being a leader this team needs. 

Personally, I don't really care who wears the "C" or any other letter.  You do not need a letter to rise and lead in any situation.  Others on the team have shown leadership qualities on the ice and we have NO IDEA what really goes on in the locker room.  The letters on their chest allow them to talk to the referees, other than that it's symbolic - probably more to the fans than to the players.

The bottom line for me is the players themselves, including Rod, have endorsed this choice.  That's good enough for me. 

NEWS & OBSERVER:

Ray Whitney:

Forward Ray Whitney, a veteran and alternate captain, said Staal was a wise choice and would be a strong leader.

"Ericplays hard every night, cares about the outcome of every game and helpsother people," Whitney said. "To be team captain, you need to be ableto lead when things are good and things are bad, and he's going tolearn right now how to handle things when as a team things are notgoing very well."

"It's not a huge change. We're just switching letters," Whitney said."Whether a 'C' or 'A,' I don't care. You don't even need a letter on.

"Leadership isn't defined by a letter on your jersey. What Roddy has on isn't going to define him as a player, as a leader."

Rod Brind'Amour:

"I'm just happy that it's him I'm giving it to, because [the media] cansee how good a hockey player he is, but I know what kind of person heis," Brind'Amour said. "I know that he cares about that. It's not justa letter to him. It means something."

Cane Change Captains

[quote name='GhoulieGirl wrote:

TSA']

Canes change captains

RALEIGH
On the day Eric Staal was made captain of the Carolina Hurricanes, it also seemed fitting that he reclaimed his position as the team's top-line center.

Wasn't he pulled from the center position due to his frustration of not being able to win a face-off?  Why do this?  As much as I don't agree with him being named the next captain due to his lack of consistent effort on the ice, putting him back into a position that caused him much frustration makes absolutely no sense to me at all. 

Look at the face-off percentages with him back at center, and they will drop.  I noticed the first game he was pulled and our face-off wins went way up.

I remember Maurice (or was it Francis?) saying in an interview that the faceoffs were aggravating his injury after his return.  Perhaps it has healed sufficiently to allow him to take faceoffs again and return to his natural position. 

[quote name='Justicemsb wrote:

TSA']

"The reason for changing [captains] now is that this would be the best time for somebody to understand what it takes to be a captain - when you're in as bad a times as we're in," Rutherford said."

Nice message to send.........basically saying that Brind'Amour has no clue what being a Captain is about and Staal does?  Most of what Staal knows he was taught by Brind'Amour.  Seems to me that JR needs to learn how to think before he speaks(the words "open mouth, insert foot" come to mind).  Don't get me wrong, I know that change can be a good thing, but to do it now was a slap in the face, saying without actually saying the words "I have no confidence in you any longer, you have to go".  I don't care what the press says Brind'Amour said, it HAD to hurt.  It hurts me.  I cried, I got angry.  I would HOPE that JR has the sense to keep him when he retires, in a coaching or leadership capacity.  If not, there are other teams that will snatch him up in a heartbeat.I think you are reading that statement incorrectly.  He is not saying anything about Rod's capabilities in this situation, this statement is NOT about Rod.  I have heard nothing but positive and respectful statements from JR about Rod's leadership.  You are putting the wrong words in his mouth.  He is implying it is easy to lead when things are going well.  Anyone could assume leadership during the 05-06 season and done it successfully because it was not a challenge.  But - leadership becomes much more challenging during the bad times.  This is a good time for Staal to step in and start to learn and develop as the symbolic leader.  He has Rod and Ray there to mentor him.  He has nothing to lose because the season is not salvageable anyway.  That is why the timing is right.  Nothing at all to do with Rod's capabilities.