The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Staal Named Captain

So Brindy is going to start (if not already) his downward slope into retirement. Hmm... Also, they should at least give Timmy an A. Much deserved. Give credit where credit is due.

And I agree fully with fpsndiver's statements. I will contine to watch Canes hockey with pride, and excitement for what is to come.

All good prospects.

So Brindy is going to start (if not already) his downward slope into retirement. Hmm... Also, they should at least give Timmy an A. Much deserved. Give credit where credit is due.

And I agree fully with fpsndiver's statements. I will contine to watch Canes hockey with pride, and excitement for what is to come.

All good prospects.

So who do you think they should have taken the "A" away from to give it to Tim?  Rod or Ray?

Ray will be traded and Tim will get the "A" for the remainder of the season.  He was given the A when Ray was out of the line up.  If Rod is not here next season, Tim will continue keep it.  His time will come, after all he is one of the Golden Boys on JR's list.

All good prospects.

Timmy's A. comes when Whitney is traded.

I think you are reading that statement incorrectly.  He is not saying anything about Rod's capabilities in this situation, this statement is NOT about Rod.  I have heard nothing but positive and respectful statements from JR about Rod's leadership.  You are putting the wrong words in his mouth.  He is implying it is easy to lead when things are going well.  Anyone could assume leadership during the 05-06 season and done it successfully because it was not a challenge.  But - leadership becomes much more challenging during the bad times.  This is a good time for Staal to step in and start to learn and develop as the symbolic leader.  He has Rod and Ray there to mentor him.  He has nothing to lose because the season is not salvageable anyway.  That is why the timing is right.  Nothing at all to do with Rod's capabilities.

Ok, so if I misread that statement(somehow I doubt it, but I'll give you the benefit), how many OTHERS will misread it??  As I said, JR needs to THINK before he speaks. 

Look.......I know that there comes a time when change will happen, it's inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing.  But to do it in the way it was done, no matter what was said by whom, speaks volumes. 

[quote name='Justicemsb wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']I think you are reading that statement incorrectly.  He is not saying anything about Rod's capabilities in this situation, this statement is NOT about Rod.  I have heard nothing but positive and respectful statements from JR about Rod's leadership.  You are putting the wrong words in his mouth.  He is implying it is easy to lead when things are going well.  Anyone could assume leadership during the 05-06 season and done it successfully because it was not a challenge.  But - leadership becomes much more challenging during the bad times.  This is a good time for Staal to step in and start to learn and develop as the symbolic leader.  He has Rod and Ray there to mentor him.  He has nothing to lose because the season is not salvageable anyway.  That is why the timing is right.  Nothing at all to do with Rod's capabilities.

Ok, so if I misread that statement(somehow I doubt it, but I'll give you the benefit), how many OTHERS will misread it??  As I said, JR needs to THINK before he speaks. 

Look.......I know that there comes a time when change will happen, it's inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing.  But to do it in the way it was done, no matter what was said by whom, speaks volumes. 

No offense, but you are the first person i've come across that misread JRs statement. So I'll take a wild guess and say no others misread it.

Looks like I'm joining this party a little late but IMO, everything JR says is very deliberate.  Its well thought out, well timed and carefully released to to the media to get out a message.   Again, this is only my opinion, but I feel pretty certain that this was just the tip of the iceberg that's about to hit this franchise and it signals the changes that are coming soon.  Some will be good moves, some not so popular with the fans and some that may anger the fan base at first but all the changes will be to strengthen and secure the future of this franchise.

The message he's sending IMO, is that he has the team on board with what's about to happen,  he knows the fans won't be happy with all the changes coming but if things are done correctly, this franchise will see a quick turn around and become highly competitive again sooner rather than later.  Being in last place sucks but its an opportunity to rebuild and restructure the franchise so it can be a contender for years.  There's been some tough lessons learned over the past few seasons, with this year being one of the hardest, so my hope is that the lessons have been learned and the same mistakes won't repeat themselves.  This is a unique NHL market and the popularity and success of the franchise directly feeds off of the relationship between the fans, the players and the organization.  I'm certain they realize and acknowledge this. 

As for the Captaincy, I would rather have had this change come in the off season, but this off season will be all about the next generation so I can understand why the infrastructure needs to already be in place as the new players come in.  The pressure is now off Brind'Amour and he can finish out his time on his own terms.  Could be just me but he sounds at peace with all this, even if it wasn't his idea to start.  Sometimes it may take a nudge to help a pro athlete know when the time has come to close one chapter of their life and open another.  If the team goes down as the worst team in the league this season, it won't have gone down as Rod Brind'Amour's team or on his watch.  And if he's not coming back next season (who really knows) I'd prefer his final act as Captain wasn't to go down with his ship, but rather to pass the torch to the next generation of Hurricanes and help mentor the new chapter.  Eric Staal has learned directly from both Ron Francis and Rod Brind'Amour and both will be around to help him make his own transition.  I hope this makes some sense to those upset with this move.  I was a little put off at first by this yesterday but after having some time to take in all of the information and think it through, I do think it was something that needed to be done for this franchise to move forward and that time is now because things couldn't possibly get much worse.

Staal needs to come out flying tonight (1st game w/"C")and show everyone that the right decision was made.

I think he will.  One thing about Eric, he rises to the occasion in big games.  I would imagine this is a very big game for him as well as the first time he wears the "C" on home ice.

I agree with TSA.  I think this IS the tip of the iceberg and things will begin to happen quickly now that we have the captaincy settled.  I was looking over the lineup last night and I think there will likely be some moves that alot won't agree with.  I think some of those moves will happen prior to the Olympic break.  One thing is for sure, I bet these boards will be lively very soon.

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

Justicemsb wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']I think you are reading that statement incorrectly.  He is not saying anything about Rod's capabilities in this situation, this statement is NOT about Rod.  I have heard nothing but positive and respectful statements from JR about Rod's leadership.  You are putting the wrong words in his mouth.  He is implying it is easy to lead when things are going well.  Anyone could assume leadership during the 05-06 season and done it successfully because it was not a challenge.  But - leadership becomes much more challenging during the bad times.  This is a good time for Staal to step in and start to learn and develop as the symbolic leader.  He has Rod and Ray there to mentor him.  He has nothing to lose because the season is not salvageable anyway.  That is why the timing is right.  Nothing at all to do with Rod's capabilities.

Ok, so if I misread that statement(somehow I doubt it, but I'll give you the benefit), how many OTHERS will misread it??
  As I said, JR needs to THINK before he speaks. 

No offense, but you are the first person i've come across that misread JRs statement. So I'll take a wild guess and say no others misread it.

No offense to YOU(and yes, you did offend me), but I'm the only one that is saying anything about it.  I'm sure there are plenty of people that SUPPOSEDLY read into it exactly what I did.  Doesn't matter to me whether they speak up or not.  I said it and I don't think I misread anything.

I agree with TSA.  I think this IS the tip of the iceberg and things will begin to happen quickly now that we have the captaincy settled.  I was looking over the lineup last night and I think there will likely be some moves that alot won't agree with.  I think some of those moves will happen prior to the Olympic break.  One thing is for sure, I bet these boards will be lively very soon.

Me too.  Once I got over the shock and got to the point of acceptance that this is a good thing for us, I am now excited that the change has finally started.  I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve anticipating the presents - I can't wait to strip off the wrapping paper to see what we are going to get.   For me, the only move that would be disturbing is if they moved one of JR's "Fab Five" because I agree that this is a good core to build around.  Not that we don't have other great players that I would like to keep, I trust JR's decision making, regardless of how this season has turn out. 

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

coastal_caniac']I agree with TSA.  I think this IS the tip of the iceberg and things will begin to happen quickly now that we have the captaincy settled.  I was looking over the lineup last night and I think there will likely be some moves that alot won't agree with.  I think some of those moves will happen prior to the Olympic break.  One thing is for sure, I bet these boards will be lively very soon.

Me too.  Once I got over the shock and got to the point of acceptance that this is a good thing for us, I am now excited that the change has finally started.  I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve anticipating the presents - I can't wait to strip off the wrapping paper to see what we are going to get.   For me, the only move that would be disturbing is if they moved one of JR's "Fab Five" because I agree that this is a good core to build around.  Not that we don't have other great players that I would like to keep, I trust JR's decision making, regardless of how this season has turn out. 

Yeah, darn, we're going to have to give up our past few allowances for a gift for Aunt Edna.  But...

We're going to get some cool toys (BB Gun), some clothes, and maybe a rabbit suit (blech).

Let's hope we get more cool toys than clothes.  Let's hope those toys are reliable, don't break easily, demand more batteries all the time, or just plain turn out to not work and suck.

Yeah, darn, we're going to have to give up our past few allowances for a gift for Aunt Edna.  But...

We're going to get some cool toys (BB Gun), some clothes, and maybe a rabbit suit (blech).

Let's hope we get more cool toys than clothes.  Let's hope those toys are reliable, don't break easily, demand more batteries all the time, or just plain turn out to not work and suck.

Well ya know, some of us like clothes too wink.gif.

They are much more functional, fill a basic necessity, and you know what you are getting as soon as you see it or try it on.  You don't have to try them out for a while to see if it fits or drains the batteries too quickly.  And if they go out of style, you can still hold onto to them because that style will come back around.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

wxray1']Yeah, darn, we're going to have to give up our past few allowances for a gift for Aunt Edna.  But...

Well ya know, some of us like clothes too wink.gif.

They are much more functional, fill a basic necessity, and you know what you are getting as soon as you see it or try it on.  You don't have to try them out for a while to see if it fits or drains the batteries too quickly.  And if they go out of style, you can still hold onto to them because that style will come back around unlike today's toys.

Wasn't he pulled from the center position due to his frustration of not being able to win a face-off?  Why do this?  As much as I don't agree with him being named the next captain due to his lack of consistent effort on the ice, putting him back into a position that caused him much frustration makes absolutely no sense to me at all. 

Look at the face-off percentages with him back at center, and they will drop.  I noticed the first game he was pulled and our face-off wins went way up.

This is the first I have heard anything about Staal being moved to wing because of frustration.  Everything I heard was about him being injured, which is supported again by his statement in this article:

New Captain back at his own position

"It's obviously more skating and a little more work in the defensivezone, but I was battling some other things and now I feel strong enoughto be back in the middle and I hope to play well down the stretch,"Staal said today after the morning skate at Phillips Arena.

Staal was moved to the wing late last month, with Cullen centeringthe top line. But a minor upper-body injury has healed, and he talkedwith coach Paul Maurice about moving back to his natural position.

"Early on we were having some success and creating some offense,"Staal said of the Cullen line. "We're still putting up some decentnumbers but I think I bring more to the table at center as far asskating. I feel I control the play more when I'm up and down the ice.

"I feel I'm strong enough now to get back in the faceoff circle and get back to playing my game."

He may have been frustrated by his lack of being able to perform in the face-off circle due to the injury.  The move was not made because of the frustration, it was because he could perform this function with whatever mysterious injury he was dealing with at the time.  That is a big difference.

Okay Remkin, it's time to put your theory to the test there bud. wink.gif

True. I would expect them to come out flying tonight, especially Staal. This is good and bad. I am fully committed to the draft pick and now is no time to start winning. It is an interesting observation by some that this may actually take pressure off Brind'Amour. I agree. His image was being hurt by his remaining on the top line and captain despite not playing anywhere near well enough.

His apparent grace in approving this move, combined with his demotions this year, really serve to right the ship for me. He can now return to the vaunted place he held in my fandom before the slide. His nobility is restored. There is nothing negative left to say about him. He is readying to take his place along side the former greats of Hurricane lore.

For the future I think Staal is the obvious choice. Contrary to the Gleason supporters suggestion, naming Gleason instead of Staal would have been a huge swipe at Staal. Why take that kind of swipe at your super-star future of the franchise player? If this role pushes Staal to be the "hardest worker" then great! It can only be good for the team and the fans if Eric grows into this role. It sounds like Brind'Amour and other Canes think he is ready. Gleason will get an "A" and will remain a strong leader for this team, hopefully for years to come.

As for the timing, I would have preferred post Olympic break, but what do I know?

I agree with TSA also.  I always enjoy reading your messages - you both sound like very wise people!

Now is as good a time as any to find out if he is truly the leader that some people believe he is, some people believe he isn't, and the Cane's management have anointed him to be since the day he was drafted.

Regardless of what you think now about Staal as a leader, we'll know a lot more about this subject by the end of this season, which is a good thing.

I do not see what everyone else see's in Staal obviously. Maybe he led them to the Cup, I didn't follow it then. I do know that a Captain is supposed to lead by example. You shouldn't be able to look at him for 1 minute and tell if he is playing well or not. Staal acts like a spoiled brat when things don't go his way. I DO NOT see him leading this team for very long unless he changes his attitude.

I do not see what everyone else see's in Staal obviously. Maybe he led them to the Cup, I didn't follow it then. I do know that a Captain is supposed to lead by example. You shouldn't be able to look at him for 1 minute and tell if he is playing well or not. Staal acts like a spoiled brat when things don't go his way. I DO NOT see him leading this team for very long unless he changes his attitude.
If you missed what he did in 06, you missed a big part of why he was made captain.  Just saying.

Rewarding Staal for what he did 4 years ago?  What has he done lately?  Is he even worth the money?  Captain?  No way.  Give me another Gleason or LaRose.  Its time for a upgrade, not a downgrade.  Staal will never be able to fill Brindy's skates.  Afraid to take a swipe at Staal? I'm not.  Someone's got to deal him a wake-up blow!  Good... yes.  Great... no.  Worth the money?  Hardly!  I hope this move was to increase his value for marketability.  Trade him off and get as much money as we can to buy someone who will put forth effort every game.   mad.gif

Ok, seeing Staal on my Center Ice channel with a C on his chest looks wierd...makes me wanna cry a bit. But it's his time...and it was the right move.