The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Staal Named Captain

I do not see what everyone else see's in Staal obviously. Maybe he led them to the Cup, I didn't follow it then. I do know that a Captain is supposed to lead by example. You shouldn't be able to look at him for 1 minute and tell if he is playing well or not. Staal acts like a spoiled brat when things don't go his way. I DO NOT see him leading this team for very long unless he changes his attitude.
Perhaps it's time to put away your magic eight ball?  You have admitted you have not been following the team for very long, especially during the most critical time of this kid establishing himself so I can only believe that his how you came to this assumption.

Rewarding Staal for what he did 4 years ago?  What has he done lately?  Is he even worth the money?  Captain?  No way.  Give me another Gleason or LaRose.  Its time for a upgrade, not a downgrade.  Staal will never be able to fill Brindy's skates.  Afraid to take a swipe at Staal? I'm not.  Someone's got to deal him a wake-up blow!  Good... yes.  Great... no.  Worth the money?  Hardly!  I hope this move was to increase his value for marketability.  Trade him off and get as much money as we can to buy someone who will put forth effort every game.   mad.gif
There is no one here AFRAID to take a swipe at Staal.  There are plenty of people here who make him their favorite whipping boy. 

Another LaRose in place of Staal.  Brilliant!!  Then we can become the Hamilton Hurricanes.

The hat trick tonight shows what kind of leader he is - similar to the mvp in the allstar game couple years back. Sure it's only one game but the most positive thing thats happened in Canestown in a long time. The C is where it belongs no disrespect to #17 (future hall of famer)

He played much better tonight. I think it's because he has a new role and responsibility. I said before that Tim Gleason should be the next captain, but Staal has proved it tonight that he deserves to be captain. By the way, one game may not be enough to prove. Hope they keep winning and winning.

Rewarding Staal for what he did 4 years ago?  What has he done lately?  Is he even worth the money?  Captain?  No way.  Give me another Gleason or LaRose.  Its time for a upgrade, not a downgrade.  Staal will never be able to fill Brindy's skates.  Afraid to take a swipe at Staal? I'm not.  Someone's got to deal him a wake-up blow!  Good... yes.  Great... no.  Worth the money?  Hardly!  I hope this move was to increase his value for marketability.  Trade him off and get as much money as we can to buy someone who will put forth effort every game.   mad.gif
For what he did 4 years ago? Yeah, there's been points where I haven't agreed with the way Staal's played on the ice, especially as of late, but he's been not only our franchise player, but one of the most consistent players on our team and has shined in the dark quite a few times this season. You also have to remember that for the first, what, three weeks or so he was playing through an injury, he has a new born to take care of, his sister-in-law passed away, he has a lot of stress on his shoulders and it's acceptable for him to become easily frustrated when something on the ice doesn't go his way, and he has not at all been like that until this season. What does Gleason do? He does what every other player on this team does and instantly wants to jump back into the game regardless of what injury he might have? Oh, right, he took a puck to the face and came back onto the ice to stuff a shorty, which absolutely puts him over Staal's 100+ point season that lead us to the Cup in '06 for the Captaincy. Staal was very close to both Brindy and Francis, I have absolutely no doubt that he's going to be just as good if not better then Brindy in the captain department, and I doubt Brindy would've even considered passing it down to him if he didn't agree.

Staal is the Captain, was the Captain informally, and will be the Captain for awhile. Griping about it moves us nowhere. Staal was the right selection. Staal has played through injuries, just like Gleason. Lest many of you foget that earlier this year, he took a slap shot to his ear, skated off the ice to the locker room, they sewed his ear back to his head, and on his first shift back he scored a goal.

The cool thing about hockey is you don't see very many of these players milking injuries or staying out, even when they really should. I'm a huge LaRose supporter, but all season long he just didn't look the same. Many on the boards were saying that it was because he got a good contract and then got lazy. No way, Chaddy isn't lazy. Then we find out that he was playing with severe injuries the whole first part of the year that "most people wouldn't be walking around with." He was playing hockey. I can point to inspirational players all over our beloved Hurricanes, and for that matter all over the NHL. However, each team has only one captain. For our team, I wholeheartedly agree with the call made by JR. We will see quick results with this move, as we did last night. It won't solve all of our ills, but it will solve some of them, and re-energize this team through the rebuilding process. I'm not Staal's biggest fan, and much like many others, I'm partial to the grinders. I like TKO, Chaddy, Sutter, Gleason, and Pitkanen. Some of those guys are 'informal leaders', but you have to want to be Captain, and you have to act like a Captain. Earlier last month when Whitney fed Ruutu for the Hat Trick on the empty net, and Staal went off on Whitney for trying to get Ruutu the hat trick when he had 2 previous opportunities to ice the game.......I knew he was the Captain. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Ruutu got the hat trick, and I'm glad Whitney is unselfish enough to feed him for it, but simultaneously I agree that the RIGHT thing to do for Ray was to ice the game first.

The funny part about all of that is that last night, Whitney feeds a crowded Staal for the hat trick when Whitney had a clear unabated shooting path. More unselfishness by Whitney. Staal, after he scored the hat trick glanced angrily for a second at Whitney....Whitney shrugged his shoulders and winked at Staal. Staal then finally cracked a smile and hugged Whitney. Dollars to donuts that in the locker room, Staal again admonished Ray for not taking the shot. That is because he is a leader, he always has been. The man has been through hell this year, personal hell, and is still out there playing.

Who was wearing the number 12 jersey last night? JR made the decision and I respect his decision for the new captain. Personally I thought Gleason should be the captain but HOPEFULLY what I witnessed last night will be forthcoming on a consistent basis. No, not hat tricks every night but a consistent ability to put the puck in the net and more importantly a consistent EFFORT on game days. Staal cannot take shifts off as well as entire games off as he has done in the past. (and not due to injury either) For the franchises sake I hope he will not because it will be even more noticeable than before. So, with that being said I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and look forward to him leading this team forward. It's pretty obvious that they did this now because of the new and younger players are going to be coming in the next few weeks and they need to see the new Captain whom they will be playing with next season. I get that....you want the new guys knowing NOW who the captain is going to be going forward. Why not? According to JR Brindy had the option to veto this thing. He chose wisely as I still think he will be connected somehow to the organization....we'll probably hear something in the off season. His salary is too huge for a 4th line player. So Staal, you had a great first game and was impressive but please keep it consistent...........hope after the season Gleason will get an "A"......

I do not see what everyone else see's in Staal obviously. Maybe he led them to the Cup, I didn't follow it then. I do know that a Captain is supposed to lead by example. You shouldn't be able to look at him for 1 minute and tell if he is playing well or not. Staal acts like a spoiled brat when things don't go his way. I DO NOT see him leading this team for very long unless he changes his attitude.
Staal is ABOVE a PPG in the playofs in both 2006 and 2008, THAT IS LEADING and moving your game up when the pressure is on...

BTW my other 'pet peeve" is the money thing, Staal has 36 points in 37 games( PPG) and a -1 for year, and playing against #1 D"s and lines and making a little over $8 mill - brindy in  has 11 points in 48 games and a -24 for year, playing against the Worst defenders and 4th line on canes  at $3.6 million... No  matter how you slice this, Staal is a 'bargain" compared to brindy. I only point this out, to stop the "money hating", its not coming out of your pocket, and staal signed a contract comparable to what other teams #1 Players were getting -not more or less, just a market value contract, that some seem to take a "bias" to and then get angry if he doesnt get a hat trick every night, despite no one in league doing that. And of course at age 25 he's got a looong career ahead  and Sgtill not at a hockey "peak" yet which is typically  the the 25-30 years

Despite all the slumps he had, alle critics he has to take for not producing as much as we expect him to do: Staalsy is leaving everything on the ice he has on every shift throughout all the years now, and noone wants to win so bad as he does. The very best case is what Brindy said about him and what he brings to the locker room, so there's no question for me about who should be the captain of this team.

Great decision.

[quote name='canes-in-7 wrote:

allboys']I do not see what everyone else see's in Staal obviously. Maybe he led them to the Cup, I didn't follow it then. I do know that a Captain is supposed to lead by example. You shouldn't be able to look at him for 1 minute and tell if he is playing well or not. Staal acts like a spoiled brat when things don't go his way. I DO NOT see him leading this team for very long unless he changes his attitude.

Staal is ABOVE a PPG in the playofs in both 2006 and 2008, THAT IS LEADING and moving your game up when the pressure is on...

Even Jagr played great in the playoff, but one of the biggest complaints against him was that he didn't play every game hard and had the tendency to coast through periods of play. When he was given the "C", it was thought that would improve his play too. Not really. He still coasted.

I'll reserve judgment on Staal for now. I believe that he was the next heir apparent in the chain of command of captaincy for this team. He has been hit with injuries these past 2 years...shoulder last year; groin and abdominal muscle this year (per Whitney on NHL Live last week). He's also had to deal with life issues that are tough for regular joe's to handle. But, when he's good he is very, very good.............

But when he plays only one end of the ice, he is very, very uninspiring.

And Portisfreak: if you believe Staalsy is leaving everything on the ice every shift, I'd like to wear your rose colored glasses.

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

canes-in-7 wrote:

allboys']I do not see what everyone else see's in Staal obviously. Maybe he led them to the Cup, I didn't follow it then. I do know that a Captain is supposed to lead by example. You shouldn't be able to look at him for 1 minute and tell if he is playing well or not. Staal acts like a spoiled brat when things don't go his way. I DO NOT see him leading this team for very long unless he changes his attitude.

Even Jagr played great in the playoff, but one of the biggest complaints against him was that he didn't play every game hard and had the tendency to coast through periods of play. When he was given the "C", it was thought that would improve his play too. Not really. He still coasted.

I'll reserve judgment on Staal for now. I believe that he was the next heir apparent in the chain of command of captaincy for this team. He has been hit with injuries these past 2 years...shoulder last year; groin and abdominal muscle this year (per Whitney on NHL Live last week). He's also had to deal with life issues that are tough for regular joe's to handle. But, when he's good he is very, very good.............

But when he plays only one end of the ice, he is very, very uninspiring.

And Portisfreak: if you believe Staalsy is leaving everything on the ice every shift, I'd like to wear your rose colored glasses.

don't disagree with your premise, but will say like Many 'young players" in the NHL with elite talent, they Sometimes have to learn to bring it nightly and every shift, and that does take time, esp when everything has always come easy and not asked to be a 2 way player. Some like lecavielier and jagr, don't rise to the occasion when given the "onus" of captaincy to bring it to the next level consistently, others like a sakic,yzerman and now seeing toewes in chicago do it, handle it well and do bringing their games to the next level. There is no "formula" or timetable to it, or whether it helps a player or not.

Only time will tell which way this ends up, but 'reserving judgement" is fine and understandable, just keep an open mind, and not make the judgements already,  as seem some have. The team and brindy ae fine with the move now, so IMO the fans should also be Fine  or in the least keep an open mind to the possibilities and see how plays out before throwing the baby out with the bathoil

[quote name='remkin wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Okay Remkin, it's time to put your theory to the test there bud. 
wink.gif

True. I would expect them to come out flying tonight, especially Staal.

Theory's piling up evidence.

Downside, if this team starts playing up to it's potential we can wave goodbye to Taylor Hall.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

remkin wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Okay Remkin, it's time to put your theory to the test there bud. 
wink.gif

True. I would expect them to come out flying tonight, especially Staal.

Theory's piling up evidence.

Downside, if this team starts playing up to it's potential we can wave goodbye to Taylor Hall.

I'm sure we can get A. Ward to kill any momentum we might have if we start going on a roll.

Please dont compare Jagr to Staal it's not even close.

Jagr if he didnt like his linemates would refuse to go on the ice or go on the ice skate a circle and come back. Which is why Washington cleaned thier hands of him.

NO NO NO! I want the first overall pick, darn it! If we have a consistent scorer now, we'll be beaten at being beaten by Edmonton. As long as we get either Taylor Hall or Cam Fowler, I'll be happy, but now that we have a captain that can score.. it's unfamiliar. :P

Some random observations.

1) You'll find no bigger fan of #17 than me. Love the guy and what he represents for the Canes. That said, you cannot captain an NHL team from the 4rth line, and #17 knows that. The time was right, and even as a huge Rod fan, I'm not complaining.

2) Don't get the Gleason love fest. There was no way, and I mean no way, Staal wasn't going to be the captain. They've been grooming him for the C for years, with Rod's blessings. If Staal wasn't fit for the C, don't you think Rod would have said something long before now?

3) Regarding Staal's play. I simply don't see the "not hustling" some of you are alluding to. He plays hurt. He plays C without wings that can score. He plays for a coach who could have held a line of Gretzsky, Lemieux, Jagr to 60 point seasons. We'll see him thrive again when we give him some line mates that are legitimate top 6 NHL forwards. There are less than 5 guys in the NHL who can carry entire lines solo, and Staal isn't one of them. That said, if he's given opportunities and line mates, he'll thrive. And he'll be there every night.

4) Rebuilding. If we somehow go on a little streak and end up finishing 24 or 25th instead of 30, I'm not going to be happy. Taylor Hall, Staal as C, the team getting younger/faster, and a legitimate NHL coach would have been the optimal outcomes for this season. We don't need another project who may be a contributor in 3-5 years. We need someone who will be a legit scorer in the next couple of years.

5) Trades - Whitney, Cullen, Walker, I love you guys and wish you nothing but the best. I hope you guys all make the finals with someone this year. That said, start packing.

6) Freeing up 3.5 (Whitney) + 2.8 (Cullen) + 2.5 (Walker) + 2.5 (Ward) + 1.7 (Wallin) = signing a couple of good forwards or shut down Dmen. Unfortunately, this isn't a banner year for FAs.

Nice article from NHL.com:

'Canes already know Staal can lead the way
There's no need for Eric Staal to worry about motivational speeches or dressing-room rants in attempt to rally his Carolina Hurricane teammates.

They already know the kind of leader their new captain is and the impact he's had in just five-plus NHL seasons, so a simple shift or drill during practice would suffice.

"Eric's the face of the Hurricanes, he's the future and he's a guy who really leads by example with his play on the ice," Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward said.

"Eric has always been one of those players who takes his play to another level when it really counts," Carolina forward Jussi Jokinen said. "You could see it when he took over the captaincy and scored a hat trick in the next game. In 2006, when the guys won the Cup, he was the best forward in the whole playoffs. I think he's one of those players who can rise when the stakes are high."

Staal replaced Rod Brind'Amour as captain on Jan. 20 -- becoming the 13th player to wear the "C" in franchise history and the fifth since the team relocated to North Carolina. Brind'Amour, who was captain for four-plus seasons, will serve as an alternate.

"Eric's a great leader and the best player on the team," Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen said. "He's very quiet, but when he says something, everybody listens."

Thanks to lessons learned from former captains Brind'Amour and Ron Francis, Staal says he's well equipped for whatever the future might hold.

"I feel I want that responsibility (as captain), I want the reins, I want that challenge," Staal told NHL.com. "A few years ago, it might have been a little bit more of a pressure situation. Now it's something I'm looking forward to.

"I think I'm more of a lead by example type," he continued. "Obviously, when things need to be said, I feel I'll recognize the right time. I've always been a leader by example and by my play. The biggest thing I've learned from Rod (Brind'Amour) and Ron (Francis) was not to change who you are and continue to play and work as you've done in the past."

Despite the fact the Hurricanes are 15th in the Eastern Conference and 29th in the League, Staal doesn't feel any added pressure to produce -- at least not immediately.

"We haven't had a great season and it's been a tough slide from the beginning, but it was a change and fresh opportunity and something for me to grab a hold of and be excited about," Staal said. "We're near the bottom so there's less pressure -- you can just play and work as hard as you can. That's what I'm trying to do right now. Personally, I just want to bring my best to practice every day and, hopefully, we'll improve down the stretch and see what happens in building towards next year."

If there isn't much pressure to produce, Staal certainly didn't play like it just one day after earning the captaincy when he connected for his first hat trick of the season and the ninth of his career in a 5-2 victory over the Atlanta Thrashers. He currently sits even with Francis for most three-goal games in franchise history.

"When I came in, Ron (Francis) sat right beside me in the locker room and I watched how he approached the game and how he prepared," Staal said. "Then I was sitting beside Rod the past couple of years and I watched him. It has been a learning experience for me on how to be a pro and approach every game and practice. There aren't two better guys to learn from."

Since returning from an upper-body injury that sidelined him 10 games in November, Staal has 12 goals and 33 points in 26 contests. For the season, he's struck for 15 goals and 38 points in 39 games.

"I think Eric's biggest attribute is his play on the ice and work ethic in practice," Ward praised. "He's still a young guy who's been through a lot already, but he's going to be in Carolina for a very long time and it'll be fun to be behind him and watch him lead this team in the future."

Staal signed a seven-year extension with the team in September 2008 that will run through the 2015-16 season. He realizes there's going to be more opportunities, as captain, to help heighten the game down South.

"Whenever there's an opportunity to meet new people or introduce hockey to people who don't know the game, you want to try and do that," he said. "Carolina is a great place to live, it's a great place to raise a family. For me, it's been awesome. I want to continue to grow the game in Carolina and help bring more fans to the game."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=515302