The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

Rats' Future With 'Canes Uncertain

I am so stoked that the Canes AHL team may be coming to Charlotte. I was season ticket holder for 3 years while i lived in Raleigh and when my job moved me here i was heart broken! i would actually consider getting season tickets for the team if they came here!

Any of you Charlotte folks (or Raleigh-ites relocated from the Charlotte area) have any idea what the general consensus of the Checkers fans is about the potential deal?  From what I've heard, the Checkers do pretty well and have a nice arena.  Would they be upset about losing the Checkers, happy about gaining an AHL team?  What if they didn't keep the Checkers name?  Excited about being more connected to the Canes or indifferent? 

I think most people would welcome this change. I've met some Ranger fans here (Checkers affilate) and they love their team and like having their ECHL team here but also like us because we've beaten their arch-rival in the playoffs 3 times. 

I'd have mixed feelings if this move occurs. I'd be sad for Albany as they have seemed to really embrace and support our guys since they moved to town. It would be nice though to have our minor league affiliate closer, especially as we seem to have to call them up with such frequency and it could give us the opportunity to more closely monitor their development.

A big question with such a move is what, if anything, would change regarding the division and/or conference in which they play? I'm wondering as they mostly have to ride the bus between games and the majority of their current opponents are not too long of a trek relatively speakingv (not including Norfolk in terms of convenience here). In looking at the other teams, both in their current division and in the other divisions, this move seems like it would be really hard on the boys in terms of logistics and I don't know that it would be reasonable/feasible to have them located here from the standpoint of them being able to get to games.

L

Greenville looks to be new home of the present johnstown chiefs, according to owner neil smith on wjac tv 6 news. Hes stated it was a total financial decision...

Yeah, I can definitely see some season tickets to whatever they end up calling the team in Greenville.  And a flex ticket plan for the Checkers next year.