The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
costadelsol

Moving on up - Firesale??? - Playoffs???

Any trade, no matter how seemingly "bad" it might sound, for a soon to be UFA, is a good trade. You get at least a draft pick in exchange for loaning out a player for a few weeks. Two of our UFAs will get good returns...and some Rutherford will likely trade for a late rounder just for that extra pick.

You have to remember, after the season is over, you get nothing if your UFA walks. Even if you sign him again, getting a prospect or draft pick is a huge plus. The Rats, or whatever they are next season will be depleted after this summer...and JR has to restock. At least 4 Albany players will be here full time after the trade deadline.

As I recall this same thing happened last year. The Canes were weak through Dec. due to injuries. When Brindy & Willy finally got back off IR the team became bona fide contenders again. This is typical of the Canes. They dont make a real formidable showing until the end when it finally counts. Even so this is also the reason most in the media dont take the Canes seriously.

As I recall this same thing happened last year. The Canes were weak through Dec. due to injuries. When Brindy & Willy finally got back off IR the team became bona fide contenders again. This is typical of the Canes. They dont make a real formidable showing until the end when it finally counts. Even so this is also the reason most in the media dont take the Canes seriously.
Last year we spent the first 2/3rds of the season in last place in the league?  I don't recall that.

There is a slow start and then there is the 14 game losing streak start.

Any trade for a UFA is not always a good trade. If it is just a draft pick, or young prospect then I would agree you take the deal. But in the salary cap era teams want or need the other team to take salary back. This is were it can go from good to bad.

Here is an example:

Chicago is rumored to want Wallin, but they need to shed salary to fit him under the cap. They offer the canes a fourth liner for Wallin. Canes ask for Versteeg. Chicago says will give you Versteeg, for Wallin, and Boychuk. Canes say NO!

That's why I said draft picks. I don't think Rutherford will take on anyone's salary problem, unless he is compensated quite nicely for it.
I agree. I wonder if Whitney or any of our guys could fetch a first rounder.

Anything is possible but we're going to need LOTS of help from the teams above us, as well as the hockey gods.  I think we've paid our dues to the hockey gods for the Cup and its about time they help us again.

I still believe. If they don't make it, that's fine. At least they're doing better and impress Canes fans. I was at the game today and glad to see lots of Caniacs took a risk to drive in that kind of weather to support their team. GO CANES!!!

If they want to keep the lineup in tact they will be close...but to be honest, i'm sick of the same routine the last 3 years. weak first half to the season, strong finish at the end for whatever reason, oce Staal gets going it's like a whole different team and really makes you wonder what is the mindset during the first 41 games?

Cause if the canes gelled this well from even December lets say, we'd be battling for a playoff position. I thin the playoffs are possible the way they ar eplayig now, but if they don't make it, look back to 2007-08 as a reminder as to why we missed the playoffs. This team is fun to watch now, , but ruined by such a bad first half to the season as per usual.

I am counting on the teams to tank at the right time.  It's still possible for the Canes to rise through the mix even with the distribution of points through the conference.

I looked at Feb. & Mar. only. We should know by the end of March if April will be a wash either way.

I am looking at the current (1/31/2010) 7 & 8 & 9 teams to collapse

Atlanta

div.: 8

conf: 9

West conf: 6

tot game left: 23

play Canes: 3

play a # 6 or higher: 5

play a plyoff contender W: 4

Montreal

div: 7

conf: 9

West: 5

tot games: 21

play Canes: 1

play a # 6 or higher: 5

play a plyoff contender W: 3

Boston

div: 8

conf: 13

West: 2

tot games: 23

play Canes: 1

play a # 6 or higher: 8

play a plyoff contender W: 2

Canes

div: 9

conf: 11

West: 3

tot games: 23

play a # 6 or higher: 11

play a plyoff contender W: 2

play Atl Mon or Bos: 5

Canes have the toughest schedule of these four teams in playing against E playoff contenders. Boston does not have staying power. Montreal & Atl play a lot of W conf games. But I am also hoping that as the end of season approaches the #6 or higher playoff spot teams will start resting their starters.

Canes still have a chance.

To use some "yogiisms", it's not over until it's over AND it's not over until the fat lady sings.  Several teams above the Canes are struggling for points and this helps the Canes.  The next two weeks will if the Canes have a longshot chance of making the playoffs.

You guys crack me up.

It's fine that fans are fanatic, I just hope that JR isn't. I gotta wonder though since they have let Mo start Cam every single game.

While it is clear that we are not going to finish 30th, if we make a nice run to a mid round draft pick it will be extremely frustrating. And that is really what you're going to get if this team goes on a run.

24-4. Yah, right. This is a joke, right?

You guys crack me up.

It's fine that fans are fanatic, I just hope that JR isn't. I gotta wonder though since they have let Mo start Cam every single game.

While it is clear that we are not going to finish 30th, if we make a nice run to a mid round draft pick it will be extremely frustrating. And that is really what you're going to get if this team goes on a run.

The Canes situation should become clearer after this west coast swing.  I say we just play the game and see what happens.  Our expectations should be tempered by reality at the end of next week. Yet wouldn't it be fun if we did make a run.  Just saying.

It is very much a long shot to make the playoffs, but if there was ever a year that sets up for it, this may be it. If you do the math and assume the teams in contention continue at there current pace, making the 8th place spot could be as low as 85-86 points. That number has been the same ever since the half way point when all the east teams in contention were between 41 and 43 points. That would mean 21 and 7 would put the Canes in 8th. That is still a torrid pace, winning 3 out of every 4 games the rest of the year. 

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

remkin']You guys crack me up.

The Canes situation should become clearer after this west coast swing.  I say we just play the game and see what happens.  Our expectations should be tempered by reality at the end of next week. Yet wouldn't it be fun if we did make a run.  Just saying.

For me a run to the playoffs which has a 99% chance of failure would be like the fun of going to Vegas and putting everything you own on a single bet. Then winning it and letting it ride again, and again, then eventually and ultimately losing everything. May be fun for a while but in the end you lose big, and it's made worse by knowing that it was inevitable when it started.

I don't blame fans for not wanting to look at it this way. It is counterintuitive as a fan to actually want your team to lose. Just doesn't sit right. But at this point up is down and down is up. I would like to think JR sees this too. I don't think he saw this win streak coming. It was good to see what a healthy motivated Staal and Ward can do for this team, but for now we need to settle down and take our medicine. Get that rarest of commodities a young superstar, from the draft, get some value for our end of contract vets,  and look forward to years of winning entertaining hockey.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

OBXer wrote:

remkin']

You guys crack me up.

For me a run to the playoffs which has a 99% chance of failure would be like the fun of going to Vegas and putting everything you own on a single bet. Then winning it and letting it ride again, and again, then eventually and ultimately losing everything. May be fun for a while but in the end you lose big, and it's made worse by knowing that it was inevitable when it started.

I don't blame fans for not wanting to look at it this way. It is counterintuitive as a fan to actually want your team to lose. Just doesn't sit right. But at this point up is down and down is up. I would like to think JR sees this too. I don't think he saw this win streak coming. It was good to see what a healthy motivated Staal and Ward can do for this team, but for now we need to settle down and take our medicine. Get that rarest of commodities a young superstar, from the draft, get some value for our end of contract vets,  and look forward to years of winning entertaining hockey.

Your right of course the odds are stacked against us. From your perspective and many others winning at this point is losing. But it would still be fun to give it a go.  I think once the trades start it will be even more unlikely for us to make a sustained run.  But I just can't help myself. With full knowledge we will probable not have a playoff shot, I just can't stop backing hopeless causes. So draft choice aside I say we go for it and see what happens.

I think JR will make enough moves and obtain enough draft choices and prospects to rebuild with or without the first two draft choices.

I don't agree with the give up opinion of Remkin. I suggest he watches Star Trek and see how James, Spock and the Doc all give up when the odds are against them... or maybe Bruce Willis... o yea they are just movies... o yea, the Hurricanes are just playing a GAME... yes it is a biz to JR and NHL but for us it is entertainment... not work... for us we go to the game to have fun, not make money or go to work... I care less about next season when this season is still on. And since when did the draft picks have anything to do with  having fun ? Your approach is like we are at work trying to solve some project or business problem... man save that for Monday, don't turn my Hockey team and game into a JOB... 

And if the play hard NOW they might learn something and be a even better team NEXT year that you are so worried about... and if some super start punk does not come from the draft... who cares... they team will be a real team since they played their best thick and thin, not taking your advice to lay down and cry so they might get some draft pick... what a loser philosophy...  Even if they have NO chance for Playoffs, I would enjoy almost as much as the Cup game seeing them whoop up on Caps 2 Weeks in a row in March... not lay down hoping for some Math wiz to help them out with a draft pick...

All the Playoff losers that want the team to give up should go to the Next Year Thread where they can start talking about giving up next year to get another draft pick. By their plan, the team should simply lay down for about 10 yrs and get the 10#1 guys... then every 10th year play to win and maybe get the cup. Then sell off all the players and start over... what a plan. Goto another thread and don't turn a Playoff thread into a loser thread.

Very well said, I believe you want a team to be at their best at all times possible. If that were not so then they would give draft picks to the teams who did best. Not the object of competing, to obtain a lousy draft pick. As old Al Davis once said" JUST WIN BABY"

^^Although abrasive, he does make some good points. Let's see where the road trip leaves us in the standings, and then go from there. One thing is for sure, I love to watch the Canes win and hate to see us lose. So for what it is worth I hope we make a miracle run. Don't forget the #1 or #2 draft pick is not a sure thing. Yes, the last few years it has worked out for the early draft picks, but are we really placing the future of the team on an 18 year old that may or may not be "that good?" We have a good core to build around (Cam, Staal, Ruutu, Gleason) so let's just wait and see where we are at the Olympic break. We should come back almost fully healthy after the break. Let's go Canes!!!

Someday you 1st pick fans will realize that its not about making playoffs per say, more about seeing your team play to its potential. its justification that we were not all crazy with such high expectations for this team. they are not just winning games right now, but continuing to show the character that this fan base expects, that the organization itself expects, and that will seperate the men from the boys when it comes to the young players who manage to stick here. Winning tradition and yes CHARACTER are far more important elements of sports franchises that win consistently and this team is reflecting that kind of tradition in a big way. Character is sometimes the only separating factor in sports competition where parity is the rule in todays leagues and true professionals in any sport realize that. Any that don't never make it to this level and last for very long. You think Peyton Manning is a great athlete. Please!!!!!!!!! The knock on him was not enough arm strength, too slow afoot, and other non athletic defieciences, yet when its all said and done we may consider him the best of all time. That don't happen by accident.

Just wondering...If the Oilers get the 1st round pick doesn't it belong to Boston? If so can we not make a deal with them for it trading 1 of are UFA that they want and need for a playoff run... and then in the meantime keep doing what we do and make a run for it ourselves... I think I will stick to cheering the guys on for as many wins and a "playoff spot" as they can rack up and let JR and Carmanos worry about the money/player issues...LETS GO CANES... I think the unique situation of the Olympic break makes this season very interesting...who knowsshrug.gif what could happen...