The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
costadelsol

Moving on up - Firesale??? - Playoffs???

Just wondering...If the Oilers get the 1st round pick doesn't it belong to Boston? If so can we not make a deal with them for it trading 1 of are UFA that they want and need for a playoff run... and then in the meantime keep doing what we do and make a run for it ourselves... I think I will stick to cheering the guys on for as many wins and a "playoff spot" as they can rack up and let JR and Carmanos worry about the money/player issues...LETS GO CANES... I think the unique situation of the Olympic break makes this season very interesting...who knowsshrug.gif what could happen...

Toronto traded their first round pick to Boston not the Oilers.

I don't agree with the give up opinion of Remkin. I suggest he watches Star Trek and see how James, Spock and the Doc all give up when the odds are against them... or maybe Bruce Willis... o yea they are just movies... o yea, the Hurricanes are just playing a GAME... yes it is a biz to JR and NHL but for us it is entertainment... not work... for us we go to the game to have fun, not make money or go to work... I care less about next season when this season is still on. And since when did the draft picks have anything to do with  having fun ? Your approach is like we are at work trying to solve some project or business problem... man save that for Monday, don't turn my Hockey team and game into a JOB... 
And if the play hard NOW they might learn something and be a even better team NEXT year that you are so worried about... and if some super start punk does not come from the draft... who cares... they team will be a real team since they played their best thick and thin, not taking your advice to lay down and cry so they might get some draft pick... what a loser philosophy...  Even if they have NO chance for Playoffs, I would enjoy almost as much as the Cup game seeing them whoop up on Caps 2 Weeks in a row in March... not lay down hoping for some Math wiz to help them out with a draft pick...
I agree. These guys are professionals and their never say die attitude is what got them to this level. If there is a chance in hell the fans should not give up either. 

It is very much a long shot to make the playoffs, but if there was ever a year that sets up for it, this may be it. If you do the math and assume the teams in contention continue at there current pace, making the 8th place spot could be as low as 85-86 points. That number has been the same ever since the half way point when all the east teams in contention were between 41 and 43 points. That would mean 21 and 7 would put the Canes in 8th. That is still a torrid pace, winning 3 out of every 4 games the rest of the year. 

That sounds about right for this year.  Sports Club Stats is giving a team ending up with 87 points over a 50% chance of making the playoffs now.  We would need a .750 winning percentage (20 - 6 - 2) from here on out to accomplish that.

Our record in February, March and April last year was 20 - 9 - 2. 

[quote name='caniac_fan wrote:

pkling']Just wondering...If the Oilers get the 1st round pick doesn't it belong to Boston? If so can we not make a deal with them for it trading 1 of are UFA that they want and need for a playoff run... and then in the meantime keep doing what we do and make a run for it ourselves... I think I will stick to cheering the guys on for as many wins and a "playoff spot" as they can rack up and let JR and Carmanos worry about the money/player issues...LETS GO CANES... I think the unique situation of the Olympic break makes this season very interesting...who knows
shrug.gif
 what could happen...

Toronto traded their first round pick to Boston not the Oilers.

Thanks for the correction...rolleyes.gif I knew it was 1 of them LOL

Two months ago, when we were coming off 14 game losing streaks and still not able to put a three game winning streak together, I was all about the #1 draft pick because well, that is the only positive thing I could find from where we stood.  However, these last 15 or so games have been fun, were are 10-5!  THAT is why I am paying the big bucks for season tickets.  Not for the hope that we will draft someone who might turn out to be really good at some point in the future.  There is no way we make the playoffs.  No way.  But that does not mean I want to sit and watch my team lose the next 29 games while I sit and look at the face value of my season ticket.  I am having FUN right now.  That is why I drove 22 miles in the ice and snow to go last night and it was worth every minute of that drive. 

The part I really don't understand is the thought that a mid round draft pick is "losing big".  I guess I am just not a glass half empty kind of person.  There are no Alex Ovelchkin's in this year's draft.  There is no guarantee that Taylor Hall, Tyler Sequin, Cam Fowler or any other pick will turn out to be something special.  A mid round pick got us Brandon Sutter, I'm OK with another one.  Good picks can come from anywhere.  Cam was picked 25th. 

The playoff train is going to be leaving without us but I want to be on the party train for as many games as we can for the rest of the season.  I do not want to watch a repeat of October, November, or December.

YES if you have a team that is competitive and playing to its potential that scenario is far more likely to compete for the cup sooner than a last place team with with the latest and greatest unproven kid. Regardless of how the first half went , this team was not that far away from just that. We've seen JR's work before and all these people crying for that first pick, just like we who want to win, believed that very thing when this season began. The off-season moves to a team that had just ridden the all-seeing,all-knowing word in hockey(momemtum) into ECF, those moves looked like piecesneeded to make to make it happen. Almost all of us here in Caneland believed that was the case. So it hasn't panned out that way, what the heck. Our team now looks like it is supposed to. Restores my faith in the decision making process used to put it together. So we underachieved for half a season. Know why you heard so little talk around the league about our miserable go early on: Just like here no one could explain it. best experts in the world were baffled by it. Made no sense. WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN

a true fan roots for the canes to win every game, people hung up on the draft pick baffle me, u dont know how that player will turn out...im not going to get worked up any more or call any one out, only DO U BELIEVE?

The playoffs may be a far stretch at this point, but the confidence our new "young" Captain is gaining will bring more to this team than any draft pick. A winning streak and strong performance will carry over further into next season than any draft pick. Besides, it's fun as hell to watch compared to the beginning of the season. Mathematically we're still players in the race. Draft picks are a lottery all unto themselves.

I don't agree with the give up opinion of Remkin. I suggest he watches Star Trek and see how James, Spock and the Doc all give up when the odds are against them... or maybe Bruce Willis... o yea they are just movies...

Luke, use the Force...

I'm glad you realize that they are movies.  Heck, I've seen dogs talking in movies too but that doesn't make it a reality.  I agree with wanting the guys to win every time that they take the ice.  That's what we want as fans and as butts in the seats.  The reality part is that a 2 game losing streak would severely set us back in a bid to make the playoffs.  We aren't going to win them all.  Is it possible to go on a miracle run, sure.  Would it be great to see, absolutely.  Is J.R. counting on this even being a possibily, not in a million years.  The fire sale is coming.

Now if you can somehow get Kirk, Spock, Bones, and Bruce Willis signed up for the rest of the year, I would be greatly entertained.  Spock could just skate around and put the Vulcan nerve pinch on everybody and we'd win them all.  That would leave plenty of time for Kirk to chat up all the Storm Squad girls, Bones to generally be negative, and Bruce Willis to blow stuff up.  Now that's a show.

Now if you can somehow get Kirk, Spock, Bones, and Bruce Willis signed up for the rest of the year, I would be greatly entertained.  Spock could just skate around and put the Vulcan nerve pinch on everybody and we'd win them all.  That would leave plenty of time for Kirk to chat up all the Storm Squad girls, Bones to generally be negative, and Bruce Willis to blow stuff up.  Now that's a show.

popcorn.gif

super-dave pretty much nailed it. Everyone talking about a playoff run needs to realize we'll have to pull it off without several players currently on the roster, because the fire sale is coming. I'd love to see it happen, but can we do it without the Wizard, Cullen, Sammy, Corvo and others? I'm afraid not.

Hey I understand the passion. Not necessary to question my fandom, but hey, whatever gets you going.

Every other year I have sweated out the runs up to the playoffs and wanted nothing more than a full on run for the finish. This year is different. We were out of it so early. We have been in LAST place for so long. That the idea takes hold that yes, we really could get an elite player in the draft that would make us good to great for years. We are not making the playoffs, it is about the future.

I do not expect the coach or the players to lay down. I expect JR to make the quiet moves that get us that top pick.

We are next to last. We have players not signed for next year and others that will not be here no matter what. The top 2 in the draft have been surer in the last 10 years than just about anything in hockey. This is not only the smart move it is the only smart move.

To use some "yogiisms", it's not over until it's over AND it's not over until the fat lady sings.  Several teams above the Canes are struggling for points and this helps the Canes.  The next two weeks will if the Canes have a longshot chance of making the playoffs.
And I think the fat lady has laryngitis at the moment.

Ok folks, I am doing the math again...we have 54 games under the belt and 45 points out of it. Now on to this: Usually, it takes 92-94 points to at least have a chance of making the playoffs. Lets say its only 90 points to be pretty optimistic on this:

We would have to get 45 points out of our last 28 games. That means we'd basically have to win 23 games, or maybe 21 with 4 ot/so losses, kinda that. There is no way this is happening, the sky will fall before that comes true.

So, if you don't expect the end of the world within the next one or two years (where I have to admit that this Maya calendar prophecy seems to be at least worth thinkin about it), then, as a General Manager, you would really want to shake things up and start the rebuilding right here, right now, so there would be a chance we are back to the playoffs and maybe even in the cup race within a couple of years with a fresh, young, talented team. At least, a team of promising youngsters will attract more audience and though fill the RBC center than a club of worn out veterans.

Two months ago, when we were coming off 14 game losing streaks and still not able to put a three game winning streak together, I was all about the #1 draft pick because well, that is the only positive thing I could find from where we stood.  However, these last 15 or so games have been fun, were are 10-5!  THAT is why I am paying the big bucks for season tickets.  Not for the hope that we will draft someone who might turn out to be really good at some point in the future.  There is no way we make the playoffs.  No way.  But that does not mean I want to sit and watch my team lose the next 29 games while I sit and look at the face value of my season ticket.  I am having FUN right now.  That is why I drove 22 miles in the ice and snow to go last night and it was worth every minute of that drive. 

The part I really don't understand is the thought that a mid round draft pick is "losing big".  I guess I am just not a glass half empty kind of person.  There are no Alex Ovelchkin's in this year's draft.  There is no guarantee that Taylor Hall, Taylor Sequin, Cam Fowler or any other pick will turn out to be something special.  A mid round pick got us Brandon Sutter, I'm OK with another one.  Good picks can come from anywhere.  Cam was picked 25th. 

The playoff train is going to be leaving without us but I want to be on the party train for as many games as we can for the rest of the season.  I do not want to watch a repeat of October, November, or December.

The question is more " do you sacrifice the future" by keeping whitney, ward, cullen( or whoever teams want), for a playoff run that most likely fails this year, and have NOTHING at the end of season to show for it, and rebuilding that much harder with 6 UFA"s, that you need to move on from .

Or do you recognize its a long shot at best, enjoy the W's now, BUT sell off the players for other younget talent, draft picks , etc to build for a future that can be together 5-7 years

Its alot more than just the top 3 pick, its about building a solid future of young players, and not 35+  year old players hanging on for last shot.

I guess what i'm saying is to have this "mystical" playoff run , means we aren't sellers and either nothing or buyers at the trade deadline, and THAT I do not want to see

Very well said, I believe you want a team to be at their best at all times possible. If that were not so then they would give draft picks to the teams who did best. Not the object of competing, to obtain a lousy draft pick. As old Al Davis once said" JUST WIN BABY"
..And oakland one of the worst franchises in league now, and haven't won more than 5 games in a  season since 2002.. not exactly something you want to emulate.

Want my team to compete each and every night.. Want my GM to look LONG TERM and do what's bext not for tonight, but for the next 3-5 years, and get Young talent going forward for our old talent.

There are so many bad teams in the East this year, it looks right now like a mid to high 80's pt team could make the playoffs.  We would need an improbable .750 winning percentage from here on out to get to 87 pts.  As unlikely as it is that we could make the playoffs, it is becoming increasingly more likely with each win.

We have 7 games coming up before the Olympics.  I'd kind of like to see JR keep his powder dry until after the break before going on any kind of firesale.  If we go 6-1 or 5-1-1 then I think you need to hold off on trading anyone not named Aaron Ward.  Imagine the backlash if we trade Whitney and Cullen now and then miss the playoffs by two or three points.  If we wait until after the Olympic break, not only will the playoff picture be clearer for us, but it will be clearer for our prospective trading partners, possibly netting us even greater returns on our trades.

Imagine the backlash if we trade Whitney and Cullen now and then miss the playoffs by two or three points. 

Imagine the backlash if we hold onto Whitney and Cullen now and then miss the playoffs by two or three points.

See, it works both ways.

It's a moot point. Rutherford is not going to "keep the band together" in hopes of sneaking into 8th place in the East. He's already said he's going to move as many UFAs as he can. I don't see why people keep thinking otherwise. It's just part of the business....and players get traded.

[quote name='canes-in-7 wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']Two months ago, when we were coming off 14 game losing streaks and still not able to put a three game winning streak together, I was all about the #1 draft pick because well, that is the only positive thing I could find from where we stood.  However, these last 15 or so games have been fun, were are 10-5!  THAT is why I am paying the big bucks for season tickets.  Not for the hope that we will draft someone who might turn out to be really good at some point in the future.  There is no way we make the playoffs.  No way.  But that does not mean I want to sit and watch my team lose the next 29 games while I sit and look at the face value of my season ticket.  I am having FUN right now.  That is why I drove 22 miles in the ice and snow to go last night and it was worth every minute of that drive. 

The part I really don't understand is the thought that a mid round draft pick is "losing big".  I guess I am just not a glass half empty kind of person.  There are no Alex Ovelchkin's in this year's draft.  There is no guarantee that Taylor Hall, Taylor Sequin, Cam Fowler or any other pick will turn out to be something special.  A mid round pick got us Brandon Sutter, I'm OK with another one.  Good picks can come from anywhere.  Cam was picked 25th. 

The question is more " do you sacrifice the future" by keeping whitney, ward, cullen( or whoever teams want), for a playoff run that most likely fails this year, and have NOTHING at the end of season to show for it, and rebuilding that much harder with 6 UFA"s, that you need to move on from .

Or do you recognize its a long shot at best, enjoy the W's now, BUT sell off the players for other younget talent, draft picks , etc to build for a future that can be together 5-7 years

Its alot more than just the top 3 pick, its about building a solid future of young players, and not 35+  year old players hanging on for last shot.

I guess what i'm saying is to have this "mystical" playoff run , means we aren't sellers and either nothing or buyers at the trade deadline, and THAT I do not want to seeThat is absolutely not a question for me.  I thought I was pretty clear in my post that we are NOT making the playoffs.   Not even sure how you even read that from my post.   I am not one of the delusional people who think there is still a chance.  My post was directed at those who see no value in continuing to win games.  There IS value.  It is called having fun and getting my moneys worth for what I paid for my season's ticket and watching my team have some PRIDE in their performance.  At this point, I don't give a pig's tail about where we end up in the draft.  Let the chips fall where they may.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous to want your team to lose the rest of the season.  It's one thing when you are sitting through a 14 game losing streak and you are miserable, you have nothing else to look forward to so you see that draft pick as some form of light at the end of a very dark tunnel.  But we are no longer there.  We are winning and it feels GOOD.    I don't look at any of these wins as getting us a step closer to the playoffs.  I look at it as "man that was fun to watch" and that's that.  I don't know, maybe ya'll are millionaires and you sneeze at the cost of your season tickets but for a good portion of this season I certainly didn't feel I was getting my money's worth in entertainment.  I do now. 

I have absolutely no issue with a fire sale.  Get them gone.  THAT is where we will get our building pieces for next year.   What are the options for returns?  A player currently in the NHL, a prospect, or a draft pick.  Of all of those the draft pick is the biggest crap shoot no matter who they are.   Yet that is the target of a lot of people on this board as the ultimate goal  There are many ways to build a good team from now until October.  Not "winning" a top three pick doesn't mean we won't STILL see a good product on the ice next year. 

I find it laughable that the thought that losing a top three draft pick is going to suddenly mean that we are left with NOTHING at the end of the season.  Good grief - the sky isn't going to crash on your head over the summer.  We have a lot of assets that can give us a good return before the deadline to build on for next year.  We don't need Taylor Hall to put a good product on the ice.  Yeah it would be nice but it is not the only way to get there.  I'm thankful I don't have the pessimistic attitude about winning that so many have here.  You all must be a blast to hang around. 

There is nothing in your response that can possibly change my attitude.  I will never watch a winning performance from this team and walk away disatisfied because it got us one step farther away from Taylor Hall.  Surely not when I look at the players faces as they are bumping heads with Cam Ward.  Watching their sense of pride and their continued effort on the ice with the never give up attitude makes me proud to be a fan of this team  It makes losing that high pick meaningless to me.  I am confident JR will give us team with a lot of promise next year regardless of the position of our draft picks. 

Gotcha!.. we are on the same page .

I have Enjoyed these W's alot and never want my team to lose, just being realistic, and while will still root, scream at all games for a "W", also KNOW, as a Seller, its not realistic to think w/o Whitney/cullen etcetc we would continue to win at a.7500 Clip we would need to make make it... and we come back to earth quickly after the trades- but that is OK, becuase we are building for the future.Never want my team to lose, or cheering for L's, just think after being a trade deadline seller, and some of the 6-12 team in divsion being buyers and tring to "sneak in", we are not going to be there.

Just have No problem with that strategy of being a seller-  and while "wish" we will win anyway, i'm also "OK" with losses KNOW will happen with lesser talent, because have the Eye on the long term Prize. I'm Not on the ice, so me being 'ok" with loses fine. The players should never be and giving 100%, but those are 2 completely different ideas,, MY feelings and the players.

And while i'll not be "heartbroken for some W's and "only" getting the 4th-10th pick( and can in lottery luck into a higher one anywhere).There is a definite Difference in talent and production from top 3 vs rest of top 10 most years is the point of many.. yes, you find great players later also, but the % of top players in top  over even rest of top 10 Huge

2002:

1 1 1 CBJ Rick Nash L CAN 6' 4" 218 OHL London
1 2 2 ATL Kari Lehtonen G FIN 6' 4" 215 FIN Jokerit
1 3 3 FLA Jay Bouwmeester D CAN 6' 4" 212 WHL Medicine Hat
1 4 4 PHI Joni Pitkanen D FIN 6' 3" 210 FIN Karpat
1 5 5 PIT Ryan Whitney D USA 6' 3" 210 H-EAST Boston University
1 6 6 NSH Scottie Upshall R CAN 6' 0" 193 WHL Kamloops
1 7 7 ANA Joffrey Lupul F CAN 6' 1" 206 WHL Medicine Hat
1 8 8 MIN Pierre-Marc Bouchard C CAN 5' 10" 173 QMJHL Chicoutimi
1 9 9 FLA Petr Taticek C CZE 6' 0" 188 OHL Sault-Ste-Marie
1 10 10 CGY Eric Nystrom L USA 6' 1" 193 CCHA U. of Michigan

2003:

Rnd Pick Overall Team Player Pos Country Ht Wt Amateur League Amateur Team
1 1 1 PIT Marc-Andre Fleury G CAN 6' 2" 180 QMJHL Cape Breton
1 2 2 CAR Eric Staal C CAN 6' 4" 205 OHL Peterborough
1 3 3 FLA Nathan Horton C CAN 6' 2" 229 OHL Oshawa
1 4 4 CBJ Nikolai Zherdev F UKR 6' 2" 203 RUS HC CSKA
1 5 5 BUF Thomas Vanek L AUT 6' 2" 207 WCHA U. of Minnesota
1 6 6 SJS Milan Michalek R CZE 6' 2" 225 CZE Budejovice
1 7 7 NSH Ryan Suter D USA 6' 1" 198 USA US Nat'l U-18
1 8 8 ATL Braydon Coburn D CAN 6' 5" 220 WHL Portland
1 9 9 CGY Dion Phaneuf D CAN 6' 3" 214 WHL Red Deer
1 10 10 MTL Andrei Kostitsyn F BLR 6' 0" 214 RUS HC CSKA

Rnd Pick Overall Team Player Pos Country Ht Wt Amateur League Amateur Team
1 1 1 WSH Alex Ovechkin L RUS 6' 2" 233 RUS Dynamo
1 2 2 PIT Evgeni Malkin F RUS 6' 3" 195 RUS Magnitogorsk
1 3 3 CHI Cam Barker D CAN 6' 3" 215 WHL Medicine Hat
1 4 4 CAR Andrew Ladd L CAN 6' 2" 200 WHL Calgary
1 5 5 PHX Blake Wheeler R USA 6' 5" 205 USHSW Breck
1 6 6 NYR Al Montoya G USA 6' 2" 195 CCHA U. of Michigan
1 7 7 FLA Rostislav Olesz C CZE 6' 1" 214 CZE Vitkovice
1 8 8 CBJ Alexandre Picard L CAN 6' 2" 206 QMJHL Lewiston
1 9 9 ANA Ladislav Smid D CZE 6' 3" 226 CZE Liberec
1 10 10 ATL Boris Valabik D SVK 6' 7" 245 OHL Kitchener

1 1 1 PIT Sidney Crosby C CAN 5' 11" 200 QMJHL Rimouski
1 2 2 ANA Bobby Ryan R USA 6' 2" 208 OHL Owen Sound
1 3 3 CAR Jack Johnson D USA 6' 0" 218 USA US Nat'l U-18
1 4 4 MIN Benoit Pouliot L CAN 6' 3" 199 OHL Sudbury
1 5 5 MTL Carey Price G CAN 6' 3" 219 WHL Tri-City
1 6 6 CBJ Gilbert Brule C CAN 5' 10" 180 WHL Vancouver
1 7 7 CHI Jack Skille R USA 6' 1" 215 USA US Nat'l U-18
1 8 8 SJS Devin Setoguchi R CAN 6' 0" 200 WHL Saskatoon
1 9 9 OTT Brian Lee D USA 6' 3" 206 USHSW Moorhead
1 10 10 VAN Luc Bourdon D CAN 6' 3" 211 QMJHL Val d'Or

1 1 1 STL Erik Johnson D USA 6' 4" 236 USA US Nat'l U-18
1 2 2 PIT Jordan Staal C CAN 6' 4" 220 OHL Peterborough
1 3 3 CHI Jonathan Toews F CAN 6' 2" 210 WCHA U. of North Dakota
1 4 4 WSH Nicklas Backstrom C SWE 6' 1" 210 SWE Brynas
1 5 5 BOS Phil Kessel C USA 5' 11" 180 WCHA U. of Minnesota
1 6 6 CBJ Derick Brassard C CAN 6' 1" 190 QMJHL Drummondville
1 7 7 NYI Kyle Okposo R USA 6' 1" 200 USHL Des Moines
1 8 8 PHX Peter Mueller C USA 6' 2" 204 WHL Everett
1 9 9 MIN James Sheppard C CAN 6' 2" 210 QMJHL Cape Breton
1 10 10 FLA Michael Frolik F CZE 6' 1" 185 CZE Kladno

1 1 1 CHI Patrick Kane R USA 5' 10" 178 OHL London
1 2 2 PHI James van Riemsdyk L USA 6' 3" 200 USDP USA U-18
1 3 3 PHX Kyle Turris C CAN 6' 1" 185 BCHL Burnaby
1 4 4 LAK Thomas Hickey D CAN 6' 0" 190 WHL Seattle
1 5 5 WSH Karl Alzner D CAN 6' 3" 206 WHL Calgary
1 6 6 EDM Sam Gagner F CAN 5' 11" 191 OHL London
1 7 7 CBJ Jakub Voracek R CZE 6' 2" 213 QMJHL Halifax
1 8 8 BOS Zach Hamill C CAN 5' 11" 180 WHL Everett
1 9 9 SJS Logan Couture C CAN 6' 1" 195 OHL Ottawa
1 10 10 FLA Keaton Ellerby D CAN 6' 4" 186 WHL Kamloops

1 1 1 TBL Steven Stamkos C CAN 6' 1" 196 OHL Sarnia
1 2 2 LAK Drew Doughty D CAN 6' 0" 211 OHL Guelph
1 3 3 ATL Zach Bogosian D USA 6' 3" 205 OHL Peterborough
1 4 4 STL Alex Pietrangelo D CAN 6' 3" 206 OHL Niagara
1 5 5 TOR Luke Schenn D CAN 6' 2" 215 WHL Kelowna
1 6 6 CBJ Nikita Filatov L RUS 6' 0" 185 RUSSIA-3 CSKA 2
1 7 7 NSH Colin Wilson C USA 6' 1" 214 H-EAST Boston University
1 8 8 PHX Mikkel Boedker L DNK 5' 11" 202 OHL Kitchener
1 9 9 NYI Josh Bailey C CAN 6' 1" 188 OHL Windsor
1 10 10 VAN Cody Hodgson C CAN 6' 0" 185 OHL Brampton

Gotcha!.. we are on the same page .

I have Enjoyed these W's alot and never want my team to lose, just being realistic, and while will still root, scream at all games for a "W", also KNOW, as a Seller, its not realistic to think w/o Whitney/cullen etcetc we would continue to win at a.7500 Clip we would need to make make it... and we come back to earth quickly after the trades- but that is OK, becuase we are building for the future.Never want my team to lose, or cheering for L's, just think after being a trade deadline seller, and some of the 6-12 team in divsion being buyers and tring to "sneak in", we are not going to be there.

Just have No problem with that strategy of being a seller-  and while "wish" we will win anyway, i'm also "OK" with losses KNOW will happen with lesser talent, because have the Eye on the long term Prize. I'm Not on the ice, so me being 'ok" with loses fine. The players should never be and giving 100%, but those are 2 completely different ideas,, MY feelings and the players.

And while i'll not be "heartbroken for some W's and "only" getting the 4th-10th pick( and can in lottery luck into a higher one anywhere).There is a definite Difference in talent and production from top 3 vs rest of top 10 most years is the point of many.. yes, you find great players later also, but the % of top players in top  over even rest of top 10 Huge

Of course the higher draft picks are going to give you a higher probability of getting a really good player.  But there are still no guarantees.  There have been players in the top three who have been a bust too.  The other thing is that my perception is that some people think that a top three player is going to make more of an immediate impact and history shows that just isn't true.   Staal had 11 goals and 20 assists his first year.  The acquisition of a #2 pick got us from 30th to 23rd.  Crosby - got Pittsburgh from 30th to 29th the next season, Ovelchkin from 28th to 27th the next season.  Now those teams were much worse off then we are now, they were bad for a long time and their rebuilding effort was more complex so it's not really a fair comparision.  People tend say some of our achievements in the past have been "flukes", personally I think this is the season that is a fluke.  We are a much better team that our record shows. That is why so many people are scratching their heads with our results.  That is why I just don't see that top pick as as "must have".  It's a nice to have.  We have a very good core, I think we will still do well next year and the years to come without that top pick.  That is why I can route for wins yet still accept missing the playoffs.  I also know that after the deadline passes, it is very likely the wins will be less frequent but I'll still cheer for those kids on the ice to show them what it's like to play for this fan base. 

Look at the top three names each year. Nothing is certain, but for that is pretty close. And further, for the most part and with very few exceptions the draft is the only way the Canes (or 80% of NHL teams) get their superstars. Yes we traded for Brind'Amour, but those deals are rare. Further getting those superstars is the key to elite success in this league. Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, etc. the base of the team and with the exception of Hossa all of their elite players came through the VERY high draft picks they compiled. 

How did we get Staal again? 

JR is expert at picking up very nice players in trades, but the true elite will only come through the draft. 

It is difficult to see the exceptions to the rule. The rule is that 95% of the time the team is in a position that winning is all that matters. This is the 5% of the time where losing is better.

Again the team cannot approach it this way. I fully agree. Neither can the coach. This is all at the GM/Ownership level. Make the trades that help the future, and hurting the present helps too. You see it or you don't. 

Hey you just keep cheering for those losses and I'll keep cheering for the wins and we are both happy.  If we don't get your top pick, give me a call and I"ll help talk you off the ledge if you need it.  I think it is looking more likely you will get that second wave of disappointment at season's end but you never know once everyone is gone, maybe you will get your wish.  Will you host the draft party?