The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
costadelsol

Moving on up - Firesale??? - Playoffs???

Just to be clear I don't feel joy over losing. It is a necessary evil of the rebuilding process. With few exceptions teams must go low to get back high. We can go medium and get back to average if that's what people prefer. At the end of the year though, after the joy of a few little winning streaks is long faded, we get to pick mid-round while the future Crosby's, Staals, Ovechkins go elsewhere.

The thing that makes this year such an exception to the rule is that we have a pretty decent core (our recent wins show this). We are not as terrible as most of the teams that needed 4-5 years of top picks to get back to the top. I firmly beleive that all we have to do is drop down this ONE time, grab an elite player, add one solid free agent and we are back for years to come. Just ONE time. And we're not making the playoffs anyways!

It's a moot point. Rutherford is not going to "keep the band together" in hopes of sneaking into 8th place in the East. He's already said he's going to move as many UFAs as he can. I don't see why people keep thinking otherwise. It's just part of the business....and players get traded.

Absolutely. The last vestiges of the Stanley Cup Band are finally being disbanded. Not the least of which was the leader of the band. It's kind of sad, but perhaps overdue, last year's improbably run gave the band a reprieve and life-support. The beginning of this season pulled the plug and we await the inevitable. Still, there is new life on the horizon. Just need to get through this season without a crazy winning streak.

Just to be clear I don't feel joy over losing. It is a necessary evil of the rebuilding process. With few exceptions teams must go low to get back high. We can go medium and get back to average if that's what people prefer. At the end of the year though, after the joy of a few little winning streaks is long faded, we get to pick mid-round while the future Crosby's, Staals, Ovechkins go elsewhere.

The thing that makes this year such an exception to the rule is that we have a pretty decent core (our recent wins show this). We are not as terrible as most of the teams that needed 4-5 years of top picks to get back to the top. I firmly beleive that all we have to do is drop down this ONE time, grab an elite player, add one solid free agent and we are back for years to come. Just ONE time. And we're not making the playoffs anyways!

Yeah but Edmonton has won 1 game of their last 20!  Toronto's fire sale will put them firmly behind us in the standings too no matter who we peddle so I really think it is very unlikely we will get top two or even three. The good news is we are 8 points out of 27th and thats a big hill but we have three games on hand on the Blue Jackets.  We could crawl out of the bottom 5.  What's your plan B?

Someday all you "lollipops and rainbows" guys will realize that this season is what it is.  I don't think anyone here wants to suck badly enough to get that number 1 pick but we realize that making a mini-run right now will only get us up to about 10th in the league at best.  Maybe that's how we justify to ourselves that it's going to be alright.  Yeah, I want to see the Canes win every time they take the ice.  Nothing would make me happier than for the team to win them all and breeze through the playoffs.  The reality is that isn't going to happen.  When you basically start the season with a losing streak that approaches a league record, you don't dig out of that hole.  This team wins 4 or 5 games and some of you have us back in the ECF's.

There are 3 threads right now that are active that are all the same thing (this one, the playoff thread, and the fire sale thread).  All of you "J.R. needs to leave the team alone and we will be okay" guys can believe that all you want.  This team was going to be blown up at the end of this year regardless of the outcome because of expiring contracts.  The silver lining to this cloud is that we will get some picks and prospects for some of these expiring contracts.  J.R. made some tweaks because of the playoff run last year and was going to give this group one more shot.  Instead of playing well, the team used that shot to shoot themselves in the foot. 

Yes, and I hope the Canes beat the Oil tonight.  I'd love to have that number one but I want to see the team's best effort every night.  That's why I'm a STH.  I want to see some moves made to make this team better in the future.  With the guys we have injured right now coming back soon, there's no reason to think that we can't make some moves and see a competitive team on the ice.  Some of the younger players like Tlusty and Dwyer have shown that they can make a contribution.  Moves will have to be made to make room for them to stay.

Mods, can we get these threads merged? 

Rant over.  Flame proof undies on.

There are 3 threads right now that are active that are all the same thing (this one, the playoff thread, and the fire sale thread). 

Yes, and if you're someone who's posted the same message in all these threads (not necessarily you dave), you've been heard.  There's no point in arguing anymore or trying to convince others to think the same as you.  Some will just enjoy the current ride for what its worth, and others will hope that there's still time to salvage the season, neither is right or wrong.  However, we can all agree that we all want the best possible team ready to compete on the ice at the start of next season.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

super-dave-1']

There are 3 threads right now that are active that are all the same thing (this one, the playoff thread, and the fire sale thread). 

Yes, and if you're someone who's posted the same message in all these threads (not necessarily you dave), you've been heard.  There's no point in arguing anymore or trying to convince others to think the same as you.  Some will just enjoy the current ride for what its worth, and others will hope that there's still time to salvage the season, neither is right or wrong.  However, we can all agree that we all want the best possible team ready to compete on the ice at the start of next season.

Well they're not all exactly the same. It is true however, that my position is out there. I shall fall back. Go Canes, but not too good.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

TSA wrote:

super-dave-1']

Well they're not all exactly the same. It is true however, that my position is out there. I shall fall back. Go Canes, but not too good.

In defense of the OP's for all three threads, they weren't all exactly the same to start but all ended up in exactly the same place. wink.gif

So are we all aquaintences again now. By further developing the points some of you have made , all your points are valid about what it takes to rebuild a team which we all knew was needed. I think several weeks back when this discussion began, some of us on the WIN EVERY GAME side got the impression that some of the longtime fans were actually pulling for a team of professionals to tank. By further making the points of what position this team is in, at least I now see that is not the case. Sure the team has to have a different look moving forward, but that does not mean they shouldn't show up on the ice and represent the franchise in a manner consistent with the talent level. That is happening now and many of us are proud and happy that is the case. It says a lot about the franchise itself and the pride that is instilled in players who come here. No matter where the chips fall nothing said here has anything to do with it anyway. Playoffs very unrealistic, but a team with this kind of pride, even short some of the players that may go in the firesale, can accomplish things that are positive and build and continue on in a way we are all proud of. My Faith has been restored no matter if we lose them all now. Go Canes

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

vesposit']I don't agree with the give up opinion of Remkin. I suggest he watches Star Trek and see how James, Spock and the Doc all give up when the odds are against them... or maybe Bruce Willis... o yea they are just movies...

Luke, use the Force...

I'm glad you realize that they are movies.  Heck, I've seen dogs talking in movies too but that doesn't make it a reality.  I agree with wanting the guys to win every time that they take the ice.  That's what we want as fans and as butts in the seats.  The reality part is that a 2 game losing streak would severely set us back in a bid to make the playoffs.  We aren't going to win them all.  Is it possible to go on a miracle run, sure.  Would it be great to see, absolutely.  Is J.R. counting on this even being a possibily, not in a million years.  The fire sale is coming.

Now if you can somehow get Kirk, Spock, Bones, and Bruce Willis signed up for the rest of the year, I would be greatly entertained.  Spock could just skate around and put the Vulcan nerve pinch on everybody and we'd win them all.  That would leave plenty of time for Kirk to chat up all the Storm Squad girls, Bones to generally be negative, and Bruce Willis to blow stuff up.  Now that's a show.

I thought it was my job to be negative and now you tell me I have to compete with Bones!!  I will need some sort of performance enhancing substance.mad.gif

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

MarkyMarkNC'] Imagine the backlash if we trade Whitney and Cullen now and then miss the playoffs by two or three points. 

Imagine the backlash if we hold onto Whitney and Cullen now and then miss the playoffs by two or three points.

See, it works both ways.

hmm, you are quiet the wordsmith!!   **wonders to self is that remark negatively positive or positively negative**

Nothing personal acaniac, but I really wish people would quit citing this so much. It's a statistical model that gives interesting odds, but that's it. For example, it seems convinced that 92 points is the cutoff. Well historically it has been, but it's looking more like it could be a lot lower this year. Maybe not a huge amount, but still. I like the site and have checked it quite a bit in the past, but it really only gives a very rough idea this far out. Beyond the last few weeks of the season this is probably not much better than quessing.

Nothing personal acaniac, but I really wish people would quit citing this so much. It's a statistical model that gives interesting odds, but that's it. For example, it seems convinced that 92 points is the cutoff. Well historically it has been, but it's looking more like it could be a lot lower this year. Maybe not a huge amount, but still. I like the site and have checked it quite a bit in the past, but it really only gives a very rough idea this far out. Beyond the last few weeks of the season this is probably not much better than quessing.
D' oh! and with the loss the model changes again! Funny how that happens. But one can only dream for 17+ more wins, pray for healthy players and watch what JR & the owner(s) do.

"Like sands through the our glass, so are the days of our lives"... D"oh! there is that funny little man again.

Drop a game to the worst team in the league and for some reason this thread is dead.  It will only take a couple more games like this to end it even for those hanging onto faint playoff hopes.  Every team in the league is going to have at least 5 of these games from now until the end of the season. 

Reality check.

Drop a game to the worst team in the league and for some reason this thread is dead.  It will only take a couple more games like this to end it even for those hanging onto faint playoff hopes.  Every team in the league is going to have at least 5 of these games from now until the end of the season. 

Reality check.

IMO, THIS WAS DEAD BEFORE IT EVEN STARTED!!!LOL..

Did we really win 4 in a row or did i doze off and wake up watching the Oilers game???. Back to reality,,i think

This current road trip might finally squash the hopes of those "we can still make the playoff" fans. I admire the optimism, but it's not going to happen.....it's just not.

But what is going to happen, is Rutherford is going to move several players who either make too much money for their services, or are soon to be UFAs. That, WILL happen.

Heard John Forslund on 620 the Buzz this morning and he said a move could happen today. From the sound of it, it might be a d-man.

Corvo is on his way back, but they don't want to send Carson back down to Albany.

Reality check.

Here's a reality check. According to sportsclubstats.com the Canes playoff chances dropped below 1%.....on NOV 7. The Hurricanes have sported a less than 1% chance of making the playoffs for the past 12 WEEKS.

I don't know if this link will work, but the graph should be sobering to some.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Hurricanes_ChanceWillMakePlayoffs.html

The players on the ice should always play to win. But the playoffs? Ha!

Edit: The link does work, if you think we have a shot at the playoffs you owe it to yourself to click on that link.

ok enough, point taken, the delusional thinking on my part   o f  a playoff run ended.last nite,..   on to the moves, and a better  feb and mar!

[quote name='djharley wrote:

super-dave-1']
Slim and None

Slim's a reach

You are such a rainbow and lollipops guys SuperDave!!! But i really like your optomism!!!wink.gif

So I guess "slim" was a little too optomistic.

This team is good enough but the hole is too deep.  Let's see a quality product with an eye to the future.  I do think that we have about the same chance of finishing last that we do of making the playoffs.  Too much talent and pride on the team to finish last.

If Whitney gets traded, which he probably will, I would think he re-signs during the off-season...hopefully. The trading seems pointless now, though. I understand the need for the players to play well in order to get a higher value but when does it become a matter of needing to keep them in the system. If Ray decides he likes it better in LA or Detroit or whoever gets him, he might just stay there. Isn't it JR's responsibility to retain one of his best players who has both experience and is peaking, although this late in his career? Firesales can't help a team (keyword team) more than the coaches and the players themselves. Lately, Carolina has played better and the team seems to be where it should've been at the beginning of the season. Yes, I agree we should trade some and waive some, but that's every team every year. With Whitney gone and the speculation of other vets leaving (Brind'Amour, Walker, Yelle, A. Ward) who do you look to for leadership? You don't buy more; that puts you deeper in the hole you're already in. Bring in the Rats next year (permanently) and trade/waive some of the old guys (the Oiler's need them.)