Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocaniacsGOCANES

Game Saturday

Recommended Posts

I think  have identified the culprits who empty the stores of bread, eggs and milk 3 days before a storm.  Speaking of that, why do you all do that?  Is there some sort of southern ritual to make French Toast when it snows?

As a native Chicagoan, this has been my question for nearly a decade. I can't think of anything but french toast either. Perhaps one of the locals can enlighten us?

As for the game, I hope Greg Fishel keeps his amazing streak on being wrong about the weather alive and well on this one. My mom is a die-hard Hawks fan (albeit living in enemy territory at the moment--Red Wing Country) and a 'Canes fan / STH, so she made a special trip down just for this game.

L

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember what year it was, but I do remember a game when the Sharks came to town and weather played a pivotal point in the game being played. I think fans were told anyone who showed up could get in to see the game.

Like I said earlier, it was the Senators...and it was probably 4 or 5 years ago. The game was cancelled first, then they decided since the Sens were already in town early, so they rescheduled  the game. It was played at around 1:00 or 2:00pm so folks could get home before the dark and refreeze. Tickets were buy one, get one for the upcoming Montreal game, free. They were selling all tickets at the box office at upper level prices, and the ushers were telling people move down, it's "general admission, first come, first served" today. Of course this created some problems with season ticket holders wanting THEIR seats for the game...and a lot of people were moved around. But they closed the entire upper level. The usher at the closed gate said "there's only 6 of us here today". I remember seeing two young college or teenaged girls come in a the start of the 3rd period, and run two people out of "their seats".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am going tomorrow...I have a 4 wheel drive truck and am not afraid to use it in the snow if need be. 

I think the players would find it hysterical if they cancelled the game due to weather in Raleigh LOL 
There was a story I remember involving Brind'Amour when he first got traded to the 'Canes. It had snowed the night before or that day and he'd gotten up and headed to the arena for practice. No one on the streets and when he gets here, he finds out that it had been cancelled becuase of the snow.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:


hopper915']I don't remember what year it was, but I do remember a game when the Sharks came to town and weather played a pivotal point in the game being played. I think fans were told anyone who showed up could get in to see the game.

Like I said earlier, it was the Senators...and it was probably 4 or 5 years ago. The game was cancelled first, then they decided since the Sens were already in town early, so they rescheduled  the game. It was played at around 1:00 or 2:00pm so folks could get home before the dark and refreeze. Tickets were buy one, get one for the upcoming Montreal game, free. They were selling all tickets at the box office at upper level prices, and the ushers were telling people move down, it's "general admission, first come, first served" today. Of course this created some problems with season ticket holders wanting THEIR seats for the game...and a lot of people were moved around. But they closed the entire upper level. The usher at the closed gate said "there's only 6 of us here today". I remember seeing two young college or teenaged girls come in a the start of the 3rd period, and run two people out of "their seats".

that was the 22 inch of snow 2000,, 9 years ago now, not 4-5.. and ironically 2 other teams got caught here and couldn't get out, so had 3 teams in carolina : )

And what happened, is everyone so overwhelmed  and had "cabin fever", way too many showed up for the 2-1 and box office couldn't handle it, so moved the game to 'free" and let everyone in, because the lines too long at the box office and people would have missed the first period( and if you had gotten the voucher they refunded it)- it was kinda a fun day actually and as you said closed the upper deck

The Blizzard of 2000 was one of the most powerful winter storms on record in parts of North Carolina. The storm hit Central Virginia on January 25, 2000 causing thousands of power outages within the area and dumped 11 inches at Richmond, VA. The dissipation occurred before it could hit Northern Virginia. The storm moved into the Atlantic accumulating a record of 20.3 inches (52 cm). The storm was poorly forecasted, resulting in thousands of power outages.

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

moving the game to an early Sunday afternoon (1PM) should be considered. It would give DOT time to clear the roads and would give the Blackhawks a litle more time to recover from tonight's game in San Jose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A Gremlin?  Seriously???  Did it look like this?

72gremlin.jpg

Oh the irony of being "off topic".

It would be a little odd for a winter sport to be cancelled by winter weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the game, I hope Greg Fishel keeps his amazing streak on being wrong about the weather alive and well on this one. My mom is a die-hard Hawks fan (albeit living in enemy territory at the moment--Red Wing Country) and a 'Canes fan / STH, so she made a special trip down just for this game.

L

I don't think the local weather has gotten one right yet this winter yet so why start now? 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

moving the game to an early Sunday afternoon (1PM) should be considered. It would give DOT time to clear the roads and would give the Blackhawks a litle more time to recover from tonight's game in San Jose

From your lips.................to NHL league office's ears! I think they would ultimately make the call. Hawks won't get out of here until Sunday afternoon anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='TSA wrote:


caneswincup']

As for the game, I hope Greg Fishel keeps his amazing streak on being wrong about the weather alive and well on this one. My mom is a die-hard Hawks fan (albeit living in enemy territory at the moment--Red Wing Country) and a 'Canes fan / STH, so she made a special trip down just for this game.

L

I don't think the local weather has gotten one right yet this winter yet so why start now? 

  

Ain't that the truth! My philosophy is expect exactly opposite of whatever WRAL tells you! If they say nothing to a light dusting....warm up the snow shovel! If they say 4-6"...grab the umbrella.

They are saying at least 6" for the Triangle area right now. Weather Channel says rain Friday night turning to sleet/snow/rain mix Saturday. That means 2.5 days of spraying salt brine on the roads was a waste of money...and we surely won't get anywhere near 6" of snow in Raleigh. But if it does snow....expect 10+". wink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:


TSA wrote:


caneswincup']

As for the game, I hope Greg Fishel keeps his amazing streak on being wrong about the weather alive and well on this one. My mom is a die-hard Hawks fan (albeit living in enemy territory at the moment--Red Wing Country) and a 'Canes fan / STH, so she made a special trip down just for this game.

L

I don't think the local weather has gotten one right yet this winter yet so why start now? 

  

Ain't that the truth! My philosophy is expect exactly opposite of whatever WRAL tells you! If they say nothing to a light dusting....warm up the snow shovel! If they say 4-6"...grab the umbrella.

They are saying at least 6" for the Triangle area right now. Weather Channel says rain Friday night turning to sleet/snow/rain mix Saturday. That means 2.5 days of spraying salt brine on the roads was a waste of money...and we surely won't get anywhere near 6" of snow in Raleigh. But if it does snow....expect 10+". wink.gif

Funny, they seem to always get it right from May-Sept because the forcast never changes from:

Hazy, Hot and Humid...temps in the high 90's with a 50% chance of afternoon thundershowers.

laugh.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of a Gremlin... when I used to work as a Medic in SC, there was a guy on the local Rescue Squad who had a silver Gremlin with a full sized Fire Truck style light bar on top. Needless to say, it was quite humorous! laugh.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing to consider is the logistics of traffic control and clearing of the parking lots.  We can act "big city" all we want but the truth is we are a southern city that has problems with even a minor Winter event.  Last time I checked the Weather Channel's site they gave a 100% chance of a storm.  Don't need police and traffic control guys at the RBC to be out in a major winter storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='canes-in-7 wrote:


TheBigKahuna wrote:

hopper915']I don't remember what year it was, but I do remember a game when the Sharks came to town and weather played a pivotal point in the game being played. I think fans were told anyone who showed up could get in to see the game.

Like I said earlier, it was the Senators...and it was probably 4 or 5 years ago. The game was cancelled first, then they decided since the Sens were already in town early, so they rescheduled  the game. It was played at around 1:00 or 2:00pm so folks could get home before the dark and refreeze. Tickets were buy one, get one for the upcoming Montreal game, free. They were selling all tickets at the box office at upper level prices, and the ushers were telling people move down, it's "general admission, first come, first served" today. Of course this created some problems with season ticket holders wanting THEIR seats for the game...and a lot of people were moved around. But they closed the entire upper level. The usher at the closed gate said "there's only 6 of us here today". I remember seeing two young college or teenaged girls come in a the start of the 3rd period, and run two people out of "their seats".

that was the 22 inch of snow 2000,, 9 years ago now, not 4-5.. and ironically 2 other teams got caught here and couldn't get out, so had 3 teams in carolina : )

    Yep, you're right, it was back in 2000.....doesn't seem like 2000 was 10 years ago!

And it was the Coyotes who were already in town a day early....not the Sens. Don't know why I kept thinking it was the Senators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There is no event scheduled for Sunday and both teams have an open date, but things would have to be pretty bad - governor declaring a disastor - to cancel the game.
Actually the schedule for the building is booked for the day. Hockey Weekend Across America will be bringing in several different teams throughout the day to play on the RBC ice.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=515177

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little help, flying out of Chicago in the morning was going to go to Charlotte and then head back to Raleigh Saturday morning.
Should I just stay in Raleigh? Any chance of Rudie playing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing to consider is the logistics of traffic control and clearing of the parking lots.  We can act "big city" all we want but the truth is we are a southern city that has problems with even a minor Winter event.  Last time I checked the Weather Channel's site they gave a 100% chance of a storm.  Don't need police and traffic control guys at the RBC to be out in a major winter storm.

Those officers are mostly contracted officers working for the RBC Center on their days off.  That isn't their normally assigned duties.  The games don't impact the department that much, they'll still have their normal officers to pull from.  

The forecast for Wilmington here Saturday is:  66 degrees and mostly sunny.  Raleigh:  31 degrees in the midst of a winter storm.  120 miles away......I'll run the gambit on Saturday.  From summer to winter in one 2 hour car ride. 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name=newartie wrote:


Little help, flying out of Chicago in the morning was going to go to Charlotte and then head back to Raleigh Saturday morning.

Should I just stay in Raleigh? Any chance of Rudie playing?

Not sure I follow your route, but Friday night through Saturday will be nasty. And no chance of Ruutu playing, he's just started skating. Hopefully he will be ready for the Olympics, but if not, the Juice will probably get the call.
fpsndiver]The forecast for Wilmington hereSaturday is:  66 degrees and mostly sunny.  Raleigh:  31 degrees in themidst of a winter storm.  120 miles away......I'll run the gambit onSaturday.  From summer to winter in one 2 hour car ride.   

I think that was last Saturday. wink.gif  What I see here is 41F and 100% chance of rain starting Friday night, chance of freezing rain Saturday night with windchills as low as 17F. Not a good night to be out. I have a bad feeling about the boys' game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='JLP wrote:


newartie wrote:

Little help, flying out of Chicago in the morning was going to go to Charlotte and then head back to Raleigh Saturday morning.

Should I just stay in Raleigh? Any chance of Rudie playing?

Not sure I follow your route, but Friday night through Saturday will be nasty. And no chance of Ruutu playing, he's just started skating. Hopefully he will be ready for the Olympics, but if not, the Juice will probably get the call.

fpsndiver']The forecast for Wilmington here Saturday is:  66 degrees and mostly sunny.  Raleigh:  31 degrees in the midst of a winter storm.  120 miles away......I'll run the gambit on Saturday.  From summer to winter in one 2 hour car ride.   

I think that was last Saturday. wink.gif  What I see here is 41F and 100% chance of rain starting Friday night, chance of freezing rain Saturday night with windchills as low as 17F. Not a good night to be out. I have a bad feeling about the boys' game.

   They might be ok to play on Sat.  If not, it'll be scrimmage city Saturday morning?  Regardless, I'm headin' to the RBC for the game on Saturday evening.  That drive should be an epic adventure.  So much for intellicast.com.  Guess I'm switching to the weather underground.  That was definitely their forecast for this Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hoping we can make it to the Blackhawk game on Saturday but we would have to navigate several magor hills on the way to the RBC.  Would'nt it be great if the Canes and CAT worked together to have busses shuttle fans to the RBC much like they do for the State Fair from remote locations.   Any chance of getting this done?  We saw the snow removal equip. parked out back of the RBC last night.  I doubt they could possibly plow a foot of snow before the game to allow for enough parking for the game, and heck it's impossible to plow the Carter Finley grass lots where the employees park .  So parking would probably be horrendous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:


canes-in-7 wrote:

TheBigKahuna']

Like I said earlier, it was the Senators...and it was probably 4 or 5 years ago. The game was cancelled first, then they decided since the Sens were already in town early, so they rescheduled  the game. It was played at around 1:00 or 2:00pm so folks could get home before the dark and refreeze. Tickets were buy one, get one for the upcoming Montreal game, free. They were selling all tickets at the box office at upper level prices, and the ushers were telling people move down, it's "general admission, first come, first served" today. Of course this created some problems with season ticket holders wanting THEIR seats for the game...and a lot of people were moved around. But they closed the entire upper level. The usher at the closed gate said "there's only 6 of us here today". I remember seeing two young college or teenaged girls come in a the start of the 3rd period, and run two people out of "their seats".

that was the 22 inch of snow 2000,, 9 years ago now, not 4-5.. and ironically 2 other teams got caught here and couldn't get out, so had 3 teams in carolina : )

    
Yep, you're right, it was back in 2000.....doesn't seem like 2000 was 10 years ago!

And it was the Coyotes who were already in town a day early....not the Sens. Don't know why I kept thinking it was the Senators.

  LOL,, shhhhhhhh, that is how you KNOW getting older.. when 10 years ago "seems like 4-5".. : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the National Weather Service has us in for an ice storm....yuck.

Wake County (2 Alerts)

Winter Storm Warning

Issued by The National Weather Servicee

Start time : 06:00 PM EST Fri, Jan 29, 2010

End time : 12:00 AM EST Sun, Jan 31, 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST SATURDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST SATURDAY NIGHT.

BASIS......COLDER AIR WILL OVERSPREAD CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA TODAY. A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP CROSS THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY TODAY...THE DEEP SOUTH TONIGHT...THEN EAST NORTHEAST OFF THE CAROLINA COAST LATE SATURDAY.

PRECIPITATION TYPES AND ACCUMULATION...DAMAGING ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF A QUARTER TO A HALF INCH ARE EXPECTED...IN ADDITION TO LIGHT SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS. PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AS A BRIEF MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW FRIDAY NIGHT BEFORE QUICKLY TRANSITIONING TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

TIMING AND DURATION...PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE WARNING AREA FROM THE SOUTHWEST AFTER SUNSET...CONTINUING OVERNIGHT AND THROUGH THE DAY SATURDAY BEFORE ENDING SATURDAY EVENING. THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO FALL FROM 2 AM TO 2 PM SATURDAY.

**IMPACTS...ICE ACCUMULATIONS WILL SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT TRAVEL ACROSS THE WARNING AREA...AND WILL LIKELY RESULT IN DOWNED TREES AND POWER LINES. AFTER PRECIPITATION BEGINS LATE FRIDAY EVENING... TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING THROUGH MIDDAY MONDAY.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE.

THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='maniacaniac wrote:


colliefan']There is no event scheduled for Sunday and both teams have an open date, but things would have to be pretty bad - governor declaring a disastor - to cancel the game.

Actually the schedule for the building is booked for the day. Hockey Weekend Across America will be bringing in several different teams throughout the day to play on the RBC ice.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=515177

  

This is a local event (local teams), so if they had to postpone the game until Sunday afternoon say 1pm, this event gets cancelled. Now if it was say a concert or something like that, that would be a different story, but what they have planned, can be cancelled.

However, with the Canes having to play in Edmonton Monday night, I'm sure JR would rather they leave Sunday afternoon, instead of waiting till 6-7pm, where things could freeze again and they don't get out of RDU. The game will go on, unless the teams can't get to the arena.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather forecast is not looking good for my area (Laurinburg) as they are calling for mostly ice  - ugh! Unless this storm is a complete flop, which I don't think it will be, I'm not going to chance it driving up there. Snow doesn't really bother me, but ice is another story!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly isn't looking good right now, and you can bet that the snow amount will be off by at least 5", one way or another-- (only good thing is that this is proof that Raleigh can host a winter classic someday...smile.gif

Has anyone called the RBC center or gotten any word about what would be done in the event that many of us might not be able to go? I'm torn in half- snow and going to see the canes are my 2 favorite things in the world, and neither happens very often at all!

WRAL reports as of today:

Games are on as hockey weather approaches

If you’re yearning for hockey weather, you’ll get it Saturday. A winter storm will pound the Triangle with six inches – and perhaps more - of snow, to be followed by wintry mix and freezing conditions.

And you’ll get a hockey game, too. The Carolina Hurricanes play the Chicago Blackhawks Saturday at 7 p.m., and the game is still scheduled to be played. The Blackhawks were scheduled to be in Raleigh Friday afternoon and all but one of the officials calling the game was in town as well.

N.C. State and North Carolina Central play a basketball game at the RBC Center earlier in the day, at 2 p.m. That game is also scheduled to be played, a Wolfpack official said Friday.

Duke is playing Georgetown at 1 p.m. on WRAL-TV. That game is at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. The Blue Devils were leaving Durham Friday for the game.

North Carolina is at home against Virginia on Sunday night at 7:45 p.m. at the Smith Center in men's basketball.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, this sucks... I really want to see the us play the Blackhawks, but we're driving all the way from Spartanburg, SC in this weather. I don't know if that's a good idea. sad.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...