The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes-in-7

Staal - Any doubt Captain?.. his Stats and stories

No matter how many goals he scores or how well the team does since the switch, the doubters will never eat crow.  After all, Cam Ward is still just "average at best."

As soon as he goes on a three or four game pointless streak, all the "lazy" and "inconsistent" and "not a franchise center" comments will be back I'm sure.  At best his recent upswing will dispel the "he needs Cole on his line to do well" myth.

My theory may seem a little less crazy now. This marks the third time that this exact type of resurgence has followed this kind of move/occurrence. All three were dramatic turnarounds by a team in the dumps when the only change made was a serious diminution of Brind'Amour's role.

Brind'Amour was a great player and a great leader. No Brind'Amour no cup. I completely get that. During his Selke days the man probably did enough to get into the Hall, but the last two years have been disaster, and this year was sacrificed to give Brind'Amour "one more chance".

We are witnessing now what this team probably would have been most of the year if this had been dealt with earlier. The coach is still here. There has been no trade to muddy the waters. There has only been this one move. Maybe it will be good for us in the long run. But at least the effect of what happened over the last 2 years should be pretty clear by now.

No matter how many goals he scores or how well the team does since the switch, the doubters will never eat crow.  After all, Cam Ward is still just "average at best."

As soon as he goes on a three or four game pointless streak, all the "lazy" and "inconsistent" and "not a franchise center" comments will be back I'm sure.  At best his recent upswing will dispel the "he needs Cole on his line to do well" myth.

i would hope not... and agree the cole nonsense being put to rest i'm happy about. Do find it odd how quite so many are, when Staal starts doing well-they just hide in the Corner and don't even seem happy about the upswing or what is a very impressive week( and likely player of week award) for the new Captain. I also wonder how much his sister-in-law cancer had affected his game in some ways, and much more focused now.

My theory may seem a little less crazy now. This marks the third time that this exact type of resurgence has followed this kind of move/occurrence. All three were dramatic turnarounds by a team in the dumps when the only change made was a serious diminution of Brind'Amour's role.

Brind'Amour was a great player and a great leader. No Brind'Amour no cup. I completely get that. During his Selke days the man probably did enough to get into the Hall, but the last two years have been disaster, and this year was sacrificed to give Brind'Amour "one more chance".

We are witnessing now what this team probably would have been most of the year if this had been dealt with earlier. The coach is still here. There has been no trade to muddy the waters. There has only been this one move. Maybe it will be good for us in the long run. But at least the effect of what happened over the last 2 years should be pretty clear by now.

Think you may be 'spot on" with it.

No matter the past, players alot more than fans, are about NOW, and you lead/help team from the front and play on ice, not from past accomplishments or fanfare- and the canes play is showing the difference w/o any other changes is pretty Obvious.

I just hope People let him grow into the Role, rejoyce in the good, and not look for anything to knock it down, and recognize like all teams and players will be Ups/Downs- and hopefully alot more ups : )

After Such a miserable sept/december, these last 2 weeks have renewed my hope and faith, and for that alone i'm already much happier about the franchise going forward, and not going to play a 'what if" game.

And just thinking for 2010:

jussi or ruutu/staal/F/A

jusi/ruutu/ cullen/samsanov

larose/sutter/tlusty

boychuck/kostopolis/dwyer

F/a/-Pitaken

Gleason/Alberts

Carson/wallin

and see what have in players like bowman,samson,harrsion,

And hopefully get a nice lottery pick for one the tyler, taylor to have that extra boost.

And with the 'purge" of ward/cole/whitney/walker/corvo/yelle and retirement of brindy- even if not going to cap, should free up at least money for a Top Scorer and D- man.

had realized staal scored his 400th point the other night.. congrats!

Eric Staal produced another goal, and Matt Cullen, Stephane Yelle and

Jussi Jokinen also scored as the Canes beat the Islanders 4-1 for their

third straight win.

Staal had a power-play score at 9:19 of the first and Cullen scored at

even strength at 12:12 of the first. In the third, Yelle winged a shot

from the left wing for a shorthanded goal that was the backbreaker, and

Jokinen had an empty netter.

Staal assisted on the empty netters, giving him 400 career points. 

So the theory is that now that Staal has the "C" he is finally giving the extra effort now? Staal and the team are finally getting healthy is my HO.

I doubt getting the "C" has anything to do with it.

We still need to make trades for the future.

So the theory is that now that Staal has the "C" he is finally giving the extra effort now? Staal and the team are finally getting healthy is my HO.

Think ALL those things contribute to it, including healthy- but do think , like with mnay teams, a new leader( or new CEo or new manager), can and does change the atmosphere , which in turn can lead to better production

No the theory is that the team for some reason stopped responding to Brind'Amour as the leader of the team. This happened way back before the knee injury. Recall that it was Brind'Amour going down that led to an amazing run towards the playoffs that fell short due to a historic run by the caps and one bad game for Cam vs. Florida on the last game of the year. Then it happened again last year when the team was seriously struggling and Rod was sent home and demoted, and the team started it's run to the Eastern Conference Finals the next game (well before Cole came back). Now it has happened a third time. Each time Rod is demoted or his role is severely curtailed, the entire team (Staal included) seem to rise up and look like an entirely different team.

This idea is tough for some to swallow, because Rod has been such a great player and leader and helped get us the cup. But the facts pointed this out before and the theory predicted this resurgence BEFORE the first game with Staal as captain.

The validity of this theory is backed up by Brind'Amour's horrendous plus/minus and recent lack of scoring.

My theory is that the rest of the team tired of management putting Brind'Amour, who was no longer playing at the NHL level, ahead of the team, but no one dared say anything, thus it crept out on the play the ice. Whenever the team got the idea that management was dealing with it and putting the team first, their play surged.

I think it is moving out of the realm of theory and into the realm of fact.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

acaniac']So the theory is that now that Staal has the "C" he is finally giving the extra effort now? Staal and the team are finally getting healthy is my HO.

No the theory is that the team for some reason stopped responding to Brind'Amour as the leader of the team. This happened way back before the knee injury. Recall that it was Brind'Amour going down that led to an amazing run towards the playoffs that fell short due to a historic run by the caps and one bad game for Cam vs. Florida on the last game of the year. Then it happened again last year when the team was seriously struggling and Rod was sent home and demoted, and the team started it's run to the Eastern Conference Finals the next game (well before Cole came back). Now it has happened a third time. Each time Rod is demoted or his role is severely curtailed, the entire team (Staal included) seem to rise up and look like an entirely different team.

This idea is tough for some to swallow, because Rod has been such a great player and leader and helped get us the cup. But the facts pointed this out before and the theory predicted this resurgence BEFORE the first game with Staal as captain.

The validity of this theory is backed up by Brind'Amour's horrendous plus/minus and recent lack of scoring.

My theory is that the rest of the team tired of management putting Brind'Amour, who was no longer playing at the NHL level, ahead of the team, but no one dared say anything, thus it crept out on the play the ice. Whenever the team got the idea that management was dealing with it and putting the team first, their play surged.

I think it is moving out of the realm of theory and into the realm of fact.   I've had some fun with the "theory" but you have to admit it is playing out as Remkin has suggested.  And for those who don't remember, the "theory" has been around for quite awhile now.  To me there is too much evidence to believe the "theory" isn't plausible.  I'm just glad the situation has finally been settled.  I don't care what Staal says about it being a coincidence his play resurged after being named the Captain, he is in a zone right now.  He is playing like our best player and others are following.  Steve Yzerman and company must be liking this.

I think remkin's theory pretty much nails it but there have been a lot of other things that have been falling into place even before Staal got the C. There was a noticable shift in confidence when Staal and Cam returned from the IR. Guys who had to fend for themselves for a while got an obvious lift and played more aggressive on the forecheck and backckeck which in turn helped Staal directly and indirectly; 'average at best' Cam was quick to find his groove again the more Mo rode him into the ground; our inept defense playing not quite so inept at times; lines finally started gelling; the old Rosie we all know and love returned; Staal being moved to his natural center position again; we got more early leads instead of trying to chase down other teams all the time; JR's talks of a fire-sale; our special teams getting a lot of love from the hockey Gods lately. Since it is a lot easier to coach a confident team I'm sure Mo, Ron and Tom must figure in there in some way or another too.

As usual on Message boards, what I find so Amazing is the negative or bashing of players or a team, is sooo Vocal, and you have 8-10 page threads killing Staal, but when he's named captain and team is rolling and he's looked every bit the Captain many said he never would be, it quickly bcomes "crickets chirping", and all the Posters so vocal, dissapear or never even give Kudos for a turn around.

have never understood that- but see it on all sports message boards. the negative always outweights anything positve or kudos by about a 10-1 margin.

BTW updated Stats since Captain:

Canes are 5-1, winners of 4 straight-   scoring gone from 2.52 Goals PG  before captain- to now 4.166 GPG, almost 70% better

Staal has 8 goals, 2 assists, 10 Points, +3, scored in all 6 games since being named Captain

Just imagine where we'd be had JR dealt with this before the season started? The only benefit in doing this now is that it pretty much proves what the problem was. Not much Mo hate lately. The rest of the team is the same as it ever was. But the timing of this move was wrong. Obviously should have done it preseason, then again when the team plummeted, but was still early enough to make a run. Once it went past that, he should have let it ride until just before the trade deadline. Compile a few more losses, then unload the vets and make Staal captain.

Instead we get a winning streak lifting us out of the #30 slot, but still no chance of the playoffs.

I guess it became apparent that JR could find no trade partners for Brind'Amour and figured he had to finally address this so that attendance didn't drop much further. If that is true, then I guess I can live with it, but to end up with any pick lower than the top 6 would be a tactical error, and a big let down.

Just imagine where we'd be had JR dealt with this before the season started? The only benefit in doing this now is that it pretty much proves what the problem was. Not much Mo hate lately. The rest of the team is the same as it ever was. But the timing of this move was wrong. Obviously should have done it preseason, then again when the team plummeted, but was still early enough to make a run. Once it went past that, he should have let it ride until just before the trade deadline. Compile a few more losses, then unload the vets and make Staal captain.

Instead we get a winning streak lifting us out of the #30 slot, but still no chance of the playoffs.

I guess it became apparent that JR could find no trade partners for Brind'Amour and figured he had to finally address this so that attendance didn't drop much further. If that is true, then I guess I can live with it, but to end up with any pick lower than the top 6 would be a tactical error, and a big let down.

While agree if had been done sooner, we would be in a better poistion- but not sure by how much, the injuries when playing with 4-7 river rats, would still be L's no matter who was the Captain- think the playoff's would be a 'thought" now instead of still a pipedream, but then we may not be selling off the players we need to go forward in 2010-2103, So In a Weird way, not too mad about since, it forced them to admit time to move on, and not go with " Same ole same ole", all season, and do what's best long term, not short term, which has caused us the up/downs we have had for over 5 years.

The whole thing is spilt milk now.  Why keep whining over the timing, where we could have been, etc. etc.?  It's done, and we are where we are.  What we do have is a Captain that looks comfortable in that role, a world class goalie, and enough proven talent and to build around.  The important thing from here forward is how JR plays his cards between now and the trade deadline.   

The whole thing is spilt milk now.  Why keep whining over the timing, where we could have been, etc. etc.?  It's done, and we are where we are.  What we do have is a Captain that looks comfortable in that role, a world class goalie, and enough proven talent and to build around.  The important thing from here forward is how JR plays his cards between now and the trade deadline.   

Hoping he still has eyes on future not NOW, as he said last week" we are sellers this year", its important to solidify the Future, for a solid 5-7 years, over another last gasp and one good, 2 bad routine, and roller coaster we have been on the whole decade.

We can't go back to what should have happened where we might be in the standings.  It's time to turn the page and look to the future.
Get those Shades because looking brighter..

Amazing what a mini winning streak will do for you. Now it's not time to cry over split milk and we can't go back and turn the page. Just a couple of weeks ago it was "Mo must go" and "Staal is a primadonna" etc. etc. But now the mood is quite forgiving.

When the team is struggling a couple of bad plays or a poorly performing player gets ridden and derided ad infinitum. I'm taking heat over suggesting that it is better for us to lose a few extra games now that the season is toast. But this team blows the entire season over a bad decision so obvious that an amateur saw it and everyone ready to give'em a pass.

I agree that this season is over and I have moved on long ago, but the resurgence of this team with the same coach and the same players does point out the biting irony that this team could have been right in the thick of it right now but for one move. It's just analysis and a lesson for the future, but it does warrant pointing it out.

Amazing what a mini winning streak will do for you. Now it's not time to cry over split milk and we can't go back and turn the page. Just a couple of weeks ago it was "Mo must go" and "Staal is a primadonna" etc. etc. But now the mood is quite forgiving.

When the team is struggling a couple of bad plays or a poorly performing player gets ridden and derided ad infinitum. I'm taking heat over suggesting that it is better for us to lose a few extra games now that the season is toast. But this team blows the entire season over a bad decision so obvious that an amateur saw it and everyone ready to give'em a pass.

I agree that this season is over and I have moved on long ago, but the resurgence of this team with the same coach and the same players does point out the biting irony that this team could have been right in the thick of it right now but for one move. It's just analysis and a lesson for the future, but it does warrant pointing it out.

LOL, that is one of the MOST ironic parts of this, a month ago, people screaming for Staal's and Mo's heads, that we can't win they suck all is lost.. trade staal for a 1/2 eaten ham sandwidch, he's not captain material blah blah..

now its " we are a good team'.. and no one talking about the 20 pages of staal hate or "we suck" anymore., and now magically a good team.

You forgot the best one, Ward is...something something. I won't even repeat it but you know what I'm saying. wink.gif