The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Faceoff-ch1

Question re regional sports pack vs center ice and DTV

We have DTV, CI and the regional sports pack so we can get NESN for the Red Sox/Bruins  We have no phone line connected to any of our DTV receivers.  Its my understanding that the region of programming you receive is based on the zip code entered when setting up the system, and the zip code may or may not have to coincide with the billing address but it must coincide with the primary place of connection.  The only way to receive the out of market games is with CI, the sports pack will automatically black out when the game starts.  Some stations on the sports pack like NESN and MSG air replayed games a few hours later so you can catch replays of a game you might have missed.  CI will pick up every game for the Canes except maybe 1 or 2 (usually SE match ups) that didn't have TV coverage for either team.  If the Canes aren't broadcasting it, you'll get the opposing feed which can be a nice change once in awhile.  I could be wrong but I think the phone line is for sending messages to your DTV box and purchasing movies.  We dont purchase movies through DTV bt still get the occasional message in our DTV inbox.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that helps a bunch.  They are not installing the digital phone service for another week so in the meantime I disconnected the phone line from my receiver to make sure nothing is effected. 

I have always had CI so I get all the games anyway.  But, I just added the regional sports package and I am now watching the Wash/Tampa game live on the regional channel, not on the Center Ice channel.  I expected the game to be blacked out on the regional channel and only available on the CI channel.  That's why I am curious to know what people get who have the regional package without CI. 

I can pick up some of the games with the Sports pack too, not all black out but there's no rhyme or reason to it because sometimes I can get a game on both CI and the regional and other times only one of them. I think it has to do with the regional contracts.  Either way, you'll get the Canes games blacked out on the sports pack for CI because you live in market.  I get way more games in HD because of that too.

I can pick up some of the games with the Sports pack too, not all black out but there's no rhyme or reason to it because sometimes I can get a game on both CI and the regional and other times only one of them.  I get way more games in HD becasue of that too.

Hmmm are you saying the DTV doesn't always broadcast the HD feed even if  a team is broadcasting in HD on their own network?  That alone is worth the extra cash for the package.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

TSA']

I can pick up some of the games with the Sports pack too, not all black out but there's no rhyme or reason to it because sometimes I can get a game on both CI and the regional and other times only one of them.  I get way more games in HD becasue of that too.

Hmmm are you saying the DTV doesn't always broadcast the HD feed even if  a team is broadcasting in HD on their own network?  That alone is worth the extra cash for the package.

No, if the HD feed is available DTV will air it but sometimes the opposing team's feed is in HD and not the Canes.