The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

Olympic replacement watch...Tim Gleason is in, could Jussi be next?

doesn't look like martin will play either.. he still hasn't laced up the skates, and hoenstly even if did now, he'd be rusty for the Olympics, so I'd say 2 spots available- and timmy should get one

I agree. I hope it comes through for Timmy. He deserves it.. He deserved to be on the team before all the injuries, but w/e. If it does in fact come through for Timmy, I will be the first to get a USA Gleason jersey!

I always figured both Gleason and Jokinen would somehow end up playing, both were right at the top of the cut line and injuries were bound to happen.

Mike's on that roster because he's a Maple Leaf, I wouldn't start doin the well it would be logical if this happened spiel because Mike has no business being on this roster to begin with. I could see Burke letting him come play if he was cleared 1 day before the Olympics.

Just got the tweet from Craig Custance:  Paul Martin forced to pull out of the Olympics.  Arm to remain in cast for at least another 2 weeks.

More info here:  Martin out

Defenseman Paul Martin reluctantly removed himself from the U.S.Olympic team today when he learned from Devils doctors that he wouldhave to wear the cast on his fractured left forearm for another twoweeks.

Well one odd unintended prediction may come true here

I met Tim Gleason after one of the Team Practices about a week after Team USA was named, and we all know he got completely snubbed. I jokingly said Caniac Nation would "take care" of Paul Martin in order to get Gleason onto the olympic roster. He just laughed and said "thanks everyone."

And Now we're at this point. Paul Martin is out, along with Komisarek. (wow haha) two defense spots open on Team USA and the report is that the replacements will be named this weekend. Barring some type of injury to Gleason, he definitely deserves his spot. KNOCK ON WOOD!

Paul Martin is a huge loss; he's a very solid offensive D-man. E. Johnson is also a tough one if he is removed. Everybody else (J. Johnson and Komisarek) sucks anyways, so they're really no big deal to lose.

Just makes room for the much better Gleason and hopefully Hainsey from ATL.

A little more info on replacements:  to be announced by the weekend.

Vancouver blog

Team USA replacements named by this weekend

02.01.2010 / 3:30 p.m. ET

Team USA Executive Director Dave Ogrean admitted his managerial stafflikely will name replacements for those currently injured players onthe American roster by this weekend.

"The deadline is actually when people check into the Olympic Village,but the team has set, for practical consideration, a bar of having toplay a certain number of games before the Olympics," Ogrean said duringa Winter Olympics teleconference call on Monday.

defenseman
,who was named to the U.S. Team headed to Vancouver, has yet to receiveclearance to participate in contact drills after suffering a shoulderinjury in early January. In addition, Devils defenseman
, also named to the Olympic Team on Jan. 1, has been sidelined since Oct. 24 with a fractured left forearm.

"The players in question are two very good defensemen but they've both been out," Ogrean said.

"Brian (Burke) and (Assistant executive director of hockey operations)Jim Johannson and the management team are going to have to make somedecisions on whether to keep them on the roster or to replace them withother players under consideration. That decision is one they'll have tobe making by this upcoming weekend."

That said, Ogrean is looking forward to an extremely competitive Olympic tournament.

"The pressure on Canada is relentless right now but they are clearlythe favorites in both the men's and women's hockey and sled hockey aswell," Ogrean said. "Canada will be extremely difficult to beat on homeice, but we're going in with a team that's very different on the men'sside than people have seen in the past. It's a new generation ofplayers -- we're probably stronger in goal than we've been in a while."

--Mike G. Morreale

MODS - Maybe we should change the title of this thread to something like "olympic replacement watch".  That way we can keep any updates on Finland or US in one place?

Just read on NHL.com that the two most likely replacements are Joe Corvo and Ryan Whitney, maybe Timmy isn't as close as we thought, it does make sense for Corvo though since Burke is obviously looking for puck moving d-men. Hopefully they will pick Corvo and Gleason. who knows.

Heres the link

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=479769

Yeah but that is just one person's opinion, it's a blog.   I haven't seen Corvo's name mentioned anywhere else.  I don't see Corvo making that team for a lot of reasons  but the biggest one for me is that Team USA is losing a lot of physicality if they lose Komisarek and Gleason would be a much better pick over Corvo if they want to keep the same makeup.    If I had to guess, Gleason and Whitney are the replacements.  But I know nothing.

More opinions on replacement for the Bleacher report:

Take all these opinions with a grain of salt. 

Team USA loses two Defencemen

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

10DollarTH']Just read on NHL.com that the two most likely replacements are Joe Corvo and Ryan Whitney, maybe Timmy isn't as close as we thought, it does make sense for Corvo though since Burke is obviously looking for puck moving d-men. Hopefully they will pick Corvo and Gleason. who knows.

Heres the link

Yeah but that is just one person's opinion, it's a blog.   I haven't seen Corvo's name mentioned anywhere else.  I don't see Corvo making that team for a lot of reasons  but the biggest one for me is that Team USA is losing a lot of physicality if they lose Komisarek and Gleason would be a much better pick over Corvo if they want to keep the same makeup.    If I had to guess, Gleason and Whitney are the replacements.  But I know nothing.

More opinions on replacement for the Bleacher report:

Take all these opinions with a grain of salt. 

Team USA loses two Defencemen

I agree that Gleason should be the pick, I'm not sure but maybe that blogger got his D-men mixed up. 

Well, they mention Corvo in for Martin due to his overall D and puck moving abilities. So maybe Gleason for Komisarek and Corvo for Martin. But I have a hard time believing they would take Corvo after such a long injury break.

Well, they mention Corvo in for Martin due to his overall D and puck moving abilities. So maybe Gleason for Komisarek and Corvo for Martin. But I have a hard time believing they would take Corvo after such a long injury break.
I don't know.. Now that I think about it.. It woudln't be such a bad idea to have Gleason and Corvo together in the Olympics. They have played together so long that there would be instant chemistry between the two.. Not a bad idea..

Exactly, but unless I missed something, Corvo has not been on Burke's radar at all and I can't see them selecting him after he has has this extended absence.  That blogger probably doesn't even know Corvo hasn't seen an NHL game since November.  smile.gif   Remember also that Burke wanted a young team and I just don't see Burke selecting him over the others that at least made camp.  It seems a little out of the blue.  I think Whitney is higher on the consideration list but again, I know nothing.

It's official now with Komisarik - having shoulder surgery & done for the year. 

Per McKenzie:  Team USAmanagement conf call tomorrow to discuss replacements forMartin/Komisarek. Ryan Whitney/Tim Gleason leading candidates.