The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
formerwhalerfan

Does Joni Pitkanen have a wrist shot?

That's a good question, one of many I have about him. Pitkanen is a bit of an enigma to me. He has great puck-moving ability, he's a great passer, and plays tons of minutes. He does have a predictable shot, thus he does not score much, plus he takes a ridiculous amount of stupid penalties. He has 64 PIM, 3rd behind our fighters and 26 more than Ruutu. He's also a -16, but I attribute a lot of that to playing huge minutes for an overall weak D plus coming off the injury he started with this year. He also obviously had serious chemistry issues with Aaron Ward early in the season. He had a much better year last year, so hopefully that is who we will see again next year. But he does make me wonder sometimes. We need someone on the back end who can score some goals, is he going to be that guy?

Joni moves the puck a lot better than Corvo, and he looses control of it a lot less than Joe, but you are right.  What is with all the lazy penalties?

I think sometimes they leave him out there too long on some shifts, and he pulls a bad penalty because he is wiped out.  I agree that he could use a change-up in shot selection.  I like our heavy Finn core, and I hope that stays intact.

In my humble opinion, Joni's biggest offensive threat is as a setup man.  He passes the puck as good or better than anyone on the team.  Also, he leads the team in assists with 30.  I'll cut him a break on his shot selection.

Joni plays 27 minutes a night.  Ruutuu for example, plays 16 minutes a night.  That accounts for a lot of the extra penalty minutes.

And if you like Jussi Jokkinen scoring goals, you better like Joni Pitkanen, because he has an assist on just about all of them.  It is crazy though that he can slap pass the puck tape to tape across the ice, but his actual shot goes all over the place.

The only reason Pitkanen isn't a forward is because of his lack of an accurate shot, even though he plays like a forward and lets the opposition into our zone. Just my thoughts; probably not worth the penny.

That's a good point.  Youth coaches don't just put guys on defense because they are big and can skate backwards.  If a guy doesn't have a good wrister, he probably won't be playing forward, even if he has all the other skills that make a good forward.

ok, first let me clear up some things, Joni Pitkanen is defenitly our best puck moving defensemen and plays tons of minutes, and also plays more minutes then anyone in the league at this point. the ability to play that many minutes is extremly difficult, you would know if you've ever played hockey in a league before.Thats why he takes some iffy penalty's sometimes, But just becz he isnt a physical type of a player doesnt mean you have to bash him for it, thats why we have Gleason and Alberts. And also about his shots not being so accurate, you have to think when you play at the point you dont take wrist shots anyone knows that, unless your under pressure and dont have time for a slap shot. hey Corvo has the fastest slap shot on our team but look were the puck goes, its normally no were near the net. but for both Pitkanen and Corvo you sacrifice accuracy for power, well thats for any player in the league. if you've watched all the canes games this season pitkanen has attemted his wrist shot on pekka rinne and it rolled on the goal line. And for those of you who think just becz your wrist shot is accurate you play offense well thats not the case for sure, You make your own decision on what position to play. And if your going to bash Pitkanen for him not being physical then you have to do the same for Corvo. And also Pitkanen rarley turns the puck over, but anyone thats plays hockey is gonna turn the puck over noone is perfect. and if you think Pitkanen lets players in our zone then your dumb. He mainly poke checks at the puck and trys stealing the puck to create an odd man rush, but just becz he isnt physical you think he lets players in our zone. Also a great example of letting players in our zone was Corvo agaisnt the Islanders lets Taveras walk right by him. and he did it 3 times in one game. but i'll cut him slack becz hes coming off a injury. no need to bash our best defensemen Pitkanen and Corvo. just becz noones perfect. although look at Aaron Ward he has done nothing to help the team what so ever. prime example how him and Pitkanen are different in our zone, Aaron Wars screens his own goalie he it against Edmonton i forgot who came in our zone and Aaron Ward just sat there and let him take a slap shot and Cam Ward couldnt see it becz Aaron Ward screened him. Pitkanen poke's at the puck and moves his body out of the way when shots are taken so Cam can see the puck. 

Oh yah go look at every player from finland meaning Forwards,Defensemen and Goalies. there all a huge part of there teams sucsess. just like Ruutu,Jokinen and Pitkanen for the Canes! Anyway GO Canes!!!

I agree that Joni is on the ice a lot during a game, and sometimes does take bad penalties.  As most have said, could be because he is tired.  I do, however, don't like the elbowing penalties he's given, IMO, I think that's nothing but a height difference.  

First off, Joni is my favorite player; however, I have seen Joni turn the puck over (the Carcillo goal comes to mind as of recent), no one is perfect on the ice be it Finn or non Finn.  Things happen very fast on the ice, so mistakes will happen to anyone.  I will say that his shot is more accurate than some. 

Joni is not an overly physical player, but when needed he will lay a hit.

Joni does what he does best, whether it be a wrist shot or just a slap shot.  He's a great defenseman and an asset to our team.

ok, first let me clear up some things, Joni Pitkanen is defenitly our best puck moving defensemen and plays tons of minutes, and also plays more minutes then anyone in the league at this point. the ability to play that many minutes is extremly difficult, you would know if you've ever played hockey in a league before.Thats why he takes some iffy penalty's sometimes, But just becz he isnt a physical type of a player doesnt mean you have to bash him for it, thats why we have Gleason and Alberts. And also about his shots not being so accurate, you have to think when you play at the point you dont take wrist shots anyone knows that, unless your under pressure and dont have time for a slap shot. hey Corvo has the fastest slap shot on our team but look were the puck goes, its normally no were near the net. but for both Pitkanen and Corvo you sacrifice accuracy for power, well thats for any player in the league. if you've watched all the canes games this season pitkanen has attemted his wrist shot on pekka rinne and it rolled on the goal line. And for those of you who think just becz your wrist shot is accurate you play offense well thats not the case for sure, You make your own decision on what position to play. And if your going to bash Pitkanen for him not being physical then you have to do the same for Corvo. And also Pitkanen rarley turns the puck over, but anyone thats plays hockey is gonna turn the puck over noone is perfect. and if you think Pitkanen lets players in our zone then your dumb. He mainly poke checks at the puck and trys stealing the puck to create an odd man rush, but just becz he isnt physical you think he lets players in our zone. Also a great example of letting players in our zone was Corvo agaisnt the Islanders lets Taveras walk right by him. and he did it 3 times in one game. but i'll cut him slack becz hes coming off a injury. no need to bash our best defensemen Pitkanen and Corvo. just becz noones perfect. although look at Aaron Ward he has done nothing to help the team what so ever. prime example how him and Pitkanen are different in our zone, Aaron Wars screens his own goalie he it against Edmonton i forgot who came in our zone and Aaron Ward just sat there and let him take a slap shot and Cam Ward couldnt see it becz Aaron Ward screened him. Pitkanen poke's at the puck and moves his body out of the way when shots are taken so Cam can see the puck. 
blink.gif

A point shot is not always intended to score. You hope that it either gets spit out as a fat rebound, or gets tipped/redirected on the way in. A nice rising slapshot that hits the goalie about a foot above the ice is a good result for a pointman. Very tough for the goalie to handle without a rebound.

Joni would rather pass than shoot, he is shooting more this season, probably due to the fact that defenses were adjusting to the fact that he was more likely to pass and laying off of him looking to intercept. He has to shoot to keep the defense honest, but his shot is not nearly as lethal as his playmaking.

I am fine with his slap shot from the point. Do not care about a weak wrister. Solid D and a few penalties do not bother me either.

I would keep JP and trade AW.

If you blame the excessive PIM on TOI, then he needs to be playing less time, in which case his "plays big minutes" attribute is diminished. Compare to Corvo, who has almost as high TOI with 10 PIM in 30 games vs. Joni's 64 PIM in 49 games. If he's getting tired, he needs to work on his conditioning. In some cases he may be getting caught out of position, but I don't see him taking too many bad pinches. He's just wild with his stick. Frustration maybe? Or this "nasty" nature that Tripp keeps obsessing over?

At any rate, I hope he can figure out the shot and score more, we need those back-end points.

I understand Joni is many fan's favorite.  Cole is mine and he's injured a lot so I understand people ripping on him.  This isn't intended as a bash; simply an opinion on one of the influential players on my favorite team.

I've always had beef with Pitkanen because they traded away my favorite player, Cole, for him.  Putting that aside, I'm still not convinced of his playing ability and his choices on the ice.  It's probably mostly the coaches fault keeping him on the ice for so long; if it effects his game, he shouldn't play that long.  Also, he is a defenseman.  First and foremost, IMO, he should protect the goal and then support the forwards and, last, drive the opposition's goal.  Because he pinches so much and tries to go in, there have been many times that I find myself yelling at the TV because Joni's not getting back and goals are scored because of it.  Joni has 3 goals this season and a bunch of assists.  Assists are great especially for defense.  I believe Joni should go back to basics of defense and stay conservative in the neutral and offensive zones. 

His rating is the second lowest defensive at -16 while Andrews, Carson and Gleason are even or above par. IMO, and it's not worth much, this kind of performance doesn't deserve 4 million, which is the second highest pay on the team (per NHLPA.com).  If I were JR, I would think of freeing the cap with this defenseman.  

Oooookay....

"you have to think when you play at the point you dont take wrist shots anyone knows that"

Tell that to Ray Bourque, Zdeno Chara, and other offensive defensemen and I think they would disagree.

Pitkanen's endurence is way better than Corvo's thats for sure and the coaches obviously know that thats why he gets more TOI then anyone. and also Corvo takes a 15 second shift becz he cant handle his TOI for a long time period. you can see Pitkanen triple shift becz his Endurance is great. and i would expect anyone to be tired after that. Good Example in one of the recent games Pitkanen was out for the full 2 minute power-play and then was still on the ice for about another minute after the power-play. That is impressive for anyone to do,which not many players can do, now back to Corvo he cant go end to end fast pace hockey for more than 30 seconds and he has to go off and they show him on camera and he is gasping for breath. and thats not the case for Pitkanen you never see him on the ice or on the bench gasping for breath. and every player on that team has a certent roll to play, and im pretty sure Tom Rowe and Paul Maurice, have said to Pitkanen to be more Physical and when he is he gets more penalty's..the main penalty Pitkanen gets is Holding, which i find that the dumbest penalty in the league! if you seriously hold someone away from getting the puck then you should get a holding call not when you touch someone with a free hand. oh ya theres plenty of players who get penaltys its not just Pitkanen like your trying to make it seem like.

[quote name='formerwhalerfan wrote:

tampaftw']ok, first let me clear up some things, Joni Pitkanen is defenitly our best puck moving defensemen and plays tons of minutes, and also plays more minutes then anyone in the league at this point. the ability to play that many minutes is extremly difficult, you would know if you've ever played hockey in a league before.Thats why he takes some iffy penalty's sometimes, But just becz he isnt a physical type of a player doesnt mean you have to bash him for it, thats why we have Gleason and Alberts. And also about his shots not being so accurate, you have to think when you play at the point you dont take wrist shots anyone knows that, unless your under pressure and dont have time for a slap shot. hey Corvo has the fastest slap shot on our team but look were the puck goes, its normally no were near the net. but for both Pitkanen and Corvo you sacrifice accuracy for power, well thats for any player in the league. if you've watched all the canes games this season pitkanen has attemted his wrist shot on pekka rinne and it rolled on the goal line. And for those of you who think just becz your wrist shot is accurate you play offense well thats not the case for sure, You make your own decision on what position to play. And if your going to bash Pitkanen for him not being physical then you have to do the same for Corvo. And also Pitkanen rarley turns the puck over, but anyone thats plays hockey is gonna turn the puck over noone is perfect. and if you think Pitkanen lets players in our zone then your dumb. He mainly poke checks at the puck and trys stealing the puck to create an odd man rush, but just becz he isnt physical you think he lets players in our zone. Also a great example of letting players in our zone was Corvo agaisnt the Islanders lets Taveras walk right by him. and he did it 3 times in one game. but i'll cut him slack becz hes coming off a injury. no need to bash our best defensemen Pitkanen and Corvo. just becz noones perfect. although look at Aaron Ward he has done nothing to help the team what so ever. prime example how him and Pitkanen are different in our zone, Aaron Wars screens his own goalie he it against Edmonton i forgot who came in our zone and Aaron Ward just sat there and let him take a slap shot and Cam Ward couldnt see it becz Aaron Ward screened him. Pitkanen poke's at the puck and moves his body out of the way when shots are taken so Cam can see the puck. 

Oooookay....

"you have to think when you play at the point you dont take wrist shots anyone knows that"

Tell that to Ray Bourque, Zdeno Chara, and other offensive defensemen and I think they would disagree.

Now hold on here, your talking about Chara he is huge thats the main reason he takes wrist shots and slap shots. ok and how about this you go ask them what do you do if your a defencemen playing at the point and you know your going to shoot the puck what do you take a ''Slap Shot'' or ''Wrist Shot'' and almost every defencemen in the league will say slap shot. also another great example Phil Kessel never takes a ''Slap Shot'' doesnt mean he doesnt have one, and go ask any sniper in the league what do you take when you have a clear shooting lane almost everyone if not all of them are gonna say wrist shot for sure. just the oposite for a defensemen 

I understand Joni is many fan's favorite.  Cole is mine and he's injured a lot so I understand people ripping on him.  This isn't intended as a bash; simply an opinion on one of the influential players on my favorite team.

I've always had beef with Pitkanen because they traded away my favorite player, Cole, for him.  Putting that aside, I'm still not convinced of his playing ability and his choices on the ice.  It's probably mostly the coaches fault keeping him on the ice for so long; if it effects his game, he shouldn't play that long.  Also, he is a defenseman.  First and foremost, IMO, he should protect the goal and then support the forwards and, last, drive the opposition's goal.  Because he pinches so much and tries to go in, there have been many times that I find myself yelling at the TV because Joni's not getting back and goals are scored because of it.  Joni has 3 goals this season and a bunch of assists.  Assists are great especially for defense.  I believe Joni should go back to basics of defense and stay conservative in the neutral and offensive zones. 

His rating is the second lowest defensive at -16 while Andrews, Carson and Gleason are even or above par. IMO, and it's not worth much, this kind of performance doesn't deserve 4 million, which is the second highest pay on the team (per NHLPA.com).  If I were JR, I would think of freeing the cap with this defenseman.  

Mainly im guessing you only watch the hurricanes becz you obviously have no idea what a offensive defensemen is right? becz thats what Joni is. look how many minutes those guys play that you listed, and that explains the -16. and we are the 2nd worst team in the NHL, a journalist commented on that saying being the player with the most TOI and have only a -16 rating is pretty good with the 2nd worst team in the NHL..and prime example, not everyone is perfect. Speaking of gleason and alberts they get out of position becz they try checking so much. and Pitkanen pinches in for offense somtimes and that causes him to be out of position. and if you take Pitkanen out of the lineup whos gonna set up plays for players to score? and corvo sure cant do that. and also take Pitkanen of the line up and you take away basically all of Jussi's goals and part of eric's goals. he is a great edition for our defense. and about the salary he is worth it compared to other D-men he has the ability to score and has great passing ability. and the reason Gleason isnt worth that is becz he doesnt have the ability to score or the passing ability. when you have a offensive defense men like Pitkanen on your team its very difficult for other teams becz not only do they have to worry about of offense they have to worry about a offensive defensemen [Pitkanen] any hockey anyilist will tell you that. and also go look at the salary for just regular defensemen  and look at the offensive ones. they require a lot more money becz they have more talent, the ability to play D and Offense is very impressive. Cole use to be my favorite player for a long time. until he just lost my interest i met him before and hes a snob. and hes also lost his scoring touch since the year that he left for edmonton. and idk why JR pick Cole over O'Sullivan which is 24 and cole is. and his scoring ability is way better than cole's .. hell if i played for the canes i sure wouldnt play as hard as i can becz you have Eric Staal who gets knocked down and stays there for 10 minutes and finally decides to get up. he doesnt back check at all. and thats a key part to winning also having the forwards back check and help the D. also ive seen players go right by Corvo and find corvo out of postion and score more than i have for Pitkanen. BUT NOONE IS PERFECT AND MAKE MISTAKES. 

Well, I would note that Pitkanen was -12 through 12 games. Since then he's been a cumulative -4 through 37 games playing by far the most minutes on defense on a bad team.

And who is the lowest on the defense? His defensive partner AaronWard. That may have something to do with it. You can't view stats in avaccuum, or otherwise you could make an argument to say that Cam Wardhas been terrible due the fact that he is 28th in GAA among qualifyinggoalies. That would ignore the defensive play of the team in front ofhim.

And I also note that Pitkanen is usually on the ice whenwe pull the goalie, whereas Alberts and Carson never are and Gleason isonly part of the time. Empty net goals count against . Let's look at like this: Pitkanen has 7 empty net goals against, while Carson has 0. Let's say thereverse were true (Pitkanen 0 against and Carson 7). All of the sudden you have Carson at -7 and Pitkanenat -9 with Pitkanen playing significantly tougher minutes. That'sanother thing: Carson and Alberts play limited minutes against 3rd and4th liners. There was a game recently (against Edmonton) where Pitkanenplayed close to triple that of Alberts. To say that those guys are better defensively than Pitkanen is like saying that Babchuk was way better than Seidenberg because he was +13 vs. Seidenberg's -9. Look at the role, the minutes, the teammates and the opposition.

You mention that you are a big Cole fan. Well, Cole is -9 through just 20 games. Pro-rate that to Pitkanen's 49GP and you get a beautiful -23 rating for Cole. Would it be fair to use Cole's as an example of why he sucks and isn't worth the money? I am not personally a Cole fan, but even I wouldn't use against him as I think it's a total garbage stat.

You say it's his job to playdefense. While true, it is also clear that his role is also to createoffense and that also involves taking chances at times, which *sometimes* results in him getting burnt. Do you thinkthe coaching staff plays him close to 30 minutes a game because he's sosuper awesome defensively? No, it's partly because they need him to createoffense and he has been the only defenseman on the team for the lastfew months (with Corvo gone) capable of doing so. Saying "he's a defenseman, he should play defense" is an incredibly simplistic look at things. That's like saying that forwards shouldn't have to backcheck because it's there job to score. Pitkanen has twice as many points as our next closest defenseman (33 to Gleason's 16). He is tied for 10th among all defensemen in scoring despite missing 8 games. 

[quote name='ZCAB wrote:

robcantplayhockey']

I've always had beef with Pitkanen because they traded away my favorite player, Cole, for him.   

Well, I would note that Pitkanen was -12 through 12 games. Since then he's been a cumulative -4 through 37 games playing by far the most minutes on defense on a bad team.

And who is the lowest on the defense? His defensive partner Aaron Ward. That may have something to do with it. You can't view stats in a vaccuum, or otherwise you could make an argument to say that Cam Ward has been terrible due the fact that he is 28th in GAA among qualifying goalies. That would ignore the defensive play of the team in front of him.

And I also note that Pitkanen is usually on the ice when we pull the goalie, whereas Alberts and Carson never are and Gleason is only part of the time. Empty net goals count against . Let's look at like this: Pitkanen has 7 empty net goals against, while Carson has 0. Let's say the reverse were true (Pitkanen 0 against and Carson 7). All of the sudden you have Carson at -7 and Pitkanen at -9 with Pitkanen playing significantly tougher minutes. That's another thing: Carson and Alberts play limited minutes against 3rd and 4th liners. There was a game recently (against Edmonton) where Pitkanen played close to
triple
that of Alberts. To say that those guys are better defensively than Pitkanen is like saying that Babchuk was way better than Seidenberg because he was +13 vs. Seidenberg's -9. Look at the role, the minutes, the teammates and the opposition.

You mention that you are a big Cole fan. Well, Cole is -9 through just 20 games. Pro-rate that to Pitkanen's 49GP and you get a beautiful -23 rating for Cole. Would it be fair to use Cole's as an example of why he sucks and isn't worth the money? I am not personally a Cole fan, but even I wouldn't use against him as I think it's a total garbage stat.

You say it's his job to play defense. While true, it is also clear that his role is also to create offense and that also involves taking chances at times, which *sometimes* results in him getting burnt. Do you think the coaching staff plays him close to 30 minutes a game because he's so super awesome defensively? No, it's partly because they need him to create offense and he has been the only defenseman on the team for the last few months (with Corvo gone) capable of doing so. Saying "he's a defenseman, he should play defense" is an incredibly simplistic look at things. That's like saying that forwards shouldn't have to backcheck because it's there job to score. Pitkanen has
twice
as many points as our next closest defenseman (33 to Gleason's 16). He is tied for 10th among all defensemen in scoring despite missing 8 games. 

ZCAB I agree with what you are saying 100%.  The rating is silly.  biggrin.gif

Since the original poster opened up a can of worms about Pitkanen's trade, I will lay my 2 cents on that one.  I kept really quite when this all went down when we got him.  You can get mad at Pitkanen all you want about the Cole trade, but JR is the one who pulled that trade, not Pitkanen or Cole.  If you were to get upset with anyone, it should be JR and not the players involved.  Pitkanen or Cole are not to blame, so getting upset and having a beef with Pitkanen because JR traded Cole for Pitkanen makes no sense to me.  

Again, that's just my 2 cents.

If Joni wasn't on this team, this defense would easily be the worst defense in the history of the NHL. Joni is arguably on of the top 15 defense man in the NHL. This guy moves the puck so so well, he does everything for this team, even strength, PP, PK, last minute of a game. There is a reason why this guy plays this many minutes. It is because the Maurice knows how good he is. His plus minus is that bad because of two reasons, those couple of games in the beginning of the season whn he was still hurt, and the fact that his partner is Aaron Ward. It is like playing with a cone out there. 

To everyone that talks about his lack of physicality, if he played as physical as an Alberts he would not be able to play the close to 30 minutes every game. Not to mention there really isn't that big of a reason to be overphysical in today's NHL. His skating his well above average, and that very well makes up for what some of you call lack of physicality. I think he is plenty physical. 
There should be no way Rutherford gets rid of this guy, this is the future of our back end. He is part of that core gropup of guys for canes. We will have a much better chance to win with him in the future than without him.

To answer the original question of the thread:

See Pitkanen's PP goal #1 tonight against the Panthers wink.gif

To answer the original question of the thread:

See Pitkanen's PP goal #1 tonight against the Panthers wink.gif

That shot was a laser.  Volkun had no chance of stopping that shot