The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Post Trade Fallout - following our ex-Canes

"...we've wanted him for a long time and have been following him for over a year."

That's interesting. It says a lot about Nic that they have been following and desiring a third-pairing guy that long.

Need to mention Dwight Helminen is also making his Sharks debut tonight with Nic Walllin.  According to the Sharks broadcaster, Heliminen played 23 game with the Canes last year and had 1 NHL goal.  His 1 goal was assisted by Nic Wallin, how's that for coincidence?  ohmy.gif

Edit: Sharks win 3-2, nice game by #7. 

I watched that one, too, while working on some graphics on my other 'puter.  I kept hearing Helminen, I wondered if it was Dwight - I forgot what happened to him (which is embarassing to admit because I always liked him).  It was weird seeing Nic in a different jersey...

Sharks lost tonight to Columbus 2-0.  Wallin had some good shots on net again (4) but a little miscommunication with Dan Boyle behind the net that led to a good scoring chance for Columbus, luckily they didn't score.  He ended up even with 19:32 minutes.   Wonder if they'll mix up the pairings to see who he fits best with before the break or after.

3/4

Tampa takes on Joe Corvo, Scotty Walker and the Caps- It'll be interesting to see how the ice time gets divided up there.

Montreal takes on Nic Wallin and San Jose

Matt Cullen coming home for the first time with Ottawa.

Scotty (8 min ice time) Joe got good ice time in their Caps debut.  Scotty was the first star---with

two goals, the second was the game winner in the Caps 5-4 win over TB. Scotty was interviewed

after the game--and he was gracious and humble, as the commentators fawned over him.

And, of course, Matt got Ottowa's only goal against us (in their 4-1 loss)

Tripp & John interviewed Cully after 2nd period. He talked about how much

they love it here and how great the fans are.   Made me sad.

And on the Western front SJS 3-MTL 2----in the dying minutes of the game, guess who

is on the ice, in front of the net, making a key clear to keep SJS from losing the game ?

You guessed it---Our big Swede.

We grow and nurture good team mates here in the South !  Hockey southern style.

Which also explains why fans like me get so upset to see our character guys get

traded away--"business" or not !

sad.gif    GO ex-Canes !!

Nice recap, thanks.  Good for Scotty, I'm not a Caps fan but I'll always root for Scott Walker.  The Caps fans are thrilled with him right now, lets hope he stays healthy so he can make a difference.  All I saw was the NHL on the Fly highlights and it looked Corve had a lazy defensive play that led to a goal against.  Since he's basically the same type of player as Mike Green, I wonder if there will be some tension and ice time dilemas betwen them.

Very surprised that Wallin was the only deal San Jose made but he seems settled in there ready to make a big run now.  I'd love to see one of his Secret Weapon type goals for the Sharks at some point.

Wow, thanks for that report. Great for Scotty, I would have tuned over to that game while recording the Canes but my wife was recording Idol. gunhead.gif  Will have to look for the highlights.

Good for Scotty, I'm not a Caps fan but I'll always root for Scott Walker

picked up a black Walker T-shirt for 30% off after the game at the Eye.  they also had some red Cullen t-shirts maked down.  asked about similar discounts on jerseys of all other players that have been traded.  negative

Matt Cullen had a game winner against the Oilers last night  in a  4-1 win for the Sens to help them stop their 3-game losing skid.

I've become a night owl staying up for some of the Sharks games and it appears that Nic Wallin is having fun with his new team.

Dennis Seidenberg out for the 8 weeks with lacerated tendon:

The Bruins just released word that Dennis Seidenberg, who suffered a gash to his left wrist Saturday night in Toronto, required sugery to repair a lacerated tendon in the same area (forearm) and he will need eight weeks tor recover.

The tear, sustained when a skate blade cut into Seidenberg's wrist halfway through the first period, was to the carpi radialis tendon. The surgery was performed by docotrs Matthew Leibman and Mark Belsky yesterday at Newton-Wellesley Hospital.

When reached by the Globe Sunday, less than 24 hours after the mishap, Seidenberg said he felt ''doubly lucky'' that the gash, which required some 15 stitches to close, had not cut through a tendon or an arterie.

However, Seidenberg failed to make it through Monday's morning workout in Washington, D.C., and again felt weakness in the wrist in that evening's pre-game warmup. He did not play against the Caps.

http://www.boston.com/spo...uins/extras/bruins_blog/

Add to that that Chara has a broken nose but he shouldn't miss any games. Boston is in trouble.

Aaron Ward

Aaron Ward Nearing Retirement

And Ward, like Selanne, seems to be in the twilight of his career. An unrestricted free agent at the end of this season, Ward, 37, can’t help but think about his future.

“When you get to this stage of your career, you let the season end and then you let everything settle and you go from there,” Ward said.

“First off you have to generate interest and then you have to determine whether or not you’re ready to play. At this point I’m ready to play. I’m looking forward to next season.”

Whether that would be with the Ducks remains to be seen as a transition stage looms for the club. Selanne and captain Scott Niedermayer might retire, and the Ducks could use Ward as a mentor for their younger defensemen.

But if Ward retired no would blame him.

Probably not the broadcasting career he'd be looking for but he'd make a great partner for Mike Maniscalco on the post game show.  Mike REALLY needs someone to banter and fill time with.

I would think Ward would be someone who could do a postgame 99.9 thing well with Maniscalco. Hopefully the rumors of him and the organization not getting along as well as in the past aren't true, but I love getting ex-Canes back near the organization.

I would think Ward would be someone who could do a postgame 99.9 thing well with Maniscalco. Hopefully the rumors of him and the organization not getting along as well as in the past aren't true, but I love getting ex-Canes back near the organization.
Personally, I would just as soon he find his broadcasting career elsewhere. Too much water under the bridge. He played like 

he could care less during the beginning of last year, and it cost us. He didn't try to hit another gear until he realized he would 

be traded. Didn't see much loyalty to the Canes in his play.   Just my two cents !   angry.gif

Heckuva breakaway goal by Matt Cullen in Game 6.  He's having just an outstanding game so far.  Gonna miss him next year if he doesn't return.

He wasn't dealt by the Canes this past deadline but congrats to Dennis Seidenberg for sigining a long term deal with Boston.

From the Boston Globe: +

The Bruins have re-signed Dennis Seidenberg to a four-year extension. The defenseman, acquired from Florida at the trade deadline, would have been an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

According to TSN, Seidenberg signed for $13 million, giving him a $3.25 million annual cap hit.

In 17 games with the Bruins, Seidenberg scored two goals and seven assists while playing with Zdeno Chara on the No. 1 pairing. Seidenberg missed the last four regular-season games and both rounds of the playoffs because of a lacerated tendon in his left arm.

Surprised by Corvo, he's an asset to any blueline. Walker....I like Walker, I like his heart and loyalty. That doesn't make you very valuable at times though.

I posted this in a separate thread with the link, but after a good playoff performance Leighton re-signed with the Flyers for 2 years. The Yahoo article didn't mention money but this article from the Montreal Gazette says possibly 3.1 million.

http://www.montrealgazett...lyers/3221845/story.html

Nice to see Siedenberg get signed. I liked him when he was with us.