The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Justicemsb

DONE DEAL!!! Cane's AHL team to move to Charlotte

I like all the fans we have on the site from Albany and I hope they'd continue posting here, but this is a great opportunity for the Canes. Not only does this help cement the organization more in NC, but it just makes sense for a multitude of reasons.

I'm in denial and not listening to any of you.....frown.gif
Here, use this one ....tmi.gif

We know you'll be checking up on your favorite goaltender.  Based on JR's comments in Paul's blog, JP should be seeing a few more games than any of our previous back ups.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

sandpiper214']I'm in denial and not listening to any of you.....
frown.gif

Here, use this one ....tmi.gif

We know you'll be checking up on your favorite goaltender.  Based on JR's comments in Paul's blog, JP should be seeing a few more games than any of our previous back ups.

that's exactly the one I was looking for. I'll deal with it if they leave him in Raleigh. I can at least watch the highlights and the games.

Great news indeed for the future of hockey in NC.

Kind of bittersweet for those who have been around the boards here for some time.   While its great for the Canes and the fans to have the team here in NC, we don't want to lose Max and Sandpiper who have kept us up to date with first hand info, pictures and articles about the Rats for as long as they've been in Albany.   Hopefully you guys will still check in here regularly and maybe we can keep you up to date on some of your favorite players, looks like quite a few have a chance to be here in Raleigh next season .

Just wanted to say thanks for all you've done for us and hopefully you'll both continue to contribute to the board.

Side note: what exactly is a Checker?

CHARLOTTE GETS NEW HOCKEY FRANCHISE

Charlotte Checkers ownerMichael Kahn has purchased the American Hockey League's Albany (N.Y.) RiverRats, the primary minor-league affiliate of the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes, theRiver Rats announced today.  That moves Charlotte’s hockey presence fromthe ECHL to the AHL, the NHL's top developmental league. It's the equivalent ofAAA baseball to the major leagues and will be similar to Charlotte Knights'association with the Chicago White Sox.  The Hurricanes have been tryingto find an AHL location where its prospects would be closer to Raleigh. They'vebeen affiliated with the Albany franchise for four years.  While theannouncement has already been made in Albany, there is a news conferencescheduled today (Wednesday) in Charlotte. To find out more, visit http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topstories/story/1237388.htmland http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=899138.

More Hockey Games to Attent!roll.gif

CHARLOTTE GETS NEW HOCKEY FRANCHISE

Charlotte Checkers owner Michael Kahn has purchased the American Hockey League's Albany (N.Y.) River Rats, the primary minor-league affiliate of the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes, the River Rats announced today. That moves Charlotte’s hockey presence from the ECHL to the AHL, the NHL's top developmental league. It's the equivalent of AAA baseball to the major leagues and will be similar to Charlotte Knights' association with the Chicago White Sox. The Hurricanes have been trying to find an AHL location where its prospects would be closer to Raleigh. They've been affiliated with the Albany franchise for four years. While the announcement has already been made in Albany, there is a news conference scheduled today (Wednesday) in Charlotte. To find out more, visit http://www.charlotteobser...ories/story/1237388.html and http://www.timesunion.com...tory.asp?storyID=899138.

Great news indeed for the future of hockey in NC.

Kind of bittersweet for those who have been around the boards here for some time.   While its great for the Canes and the fans to have the team here in NC, we don't want to lose Max and Sandpiper who have kept us up to date with first hand info, pictures and articles about the Rats for as long as they've been in Albany.   Hopefully you guys will still check in here regularly and maybe we can keep you up to date on some of your favorite players, looks like quite a few have a chance to be here in Raleigh next season .

Just wanted to say thanks for all you've done for us and hopefully you'll both continue to contribute to the board.

Side note: what exactly is a Checker?

Oh Max... Been robbing you of players all these years and now Charlotte snatches the franchise.

More visits to NC for MAX?

While it's nice that we'll have the youngsters closer for call-ups and for closer looks by the club, my biggest question/concern regarding this move remains. Moving the AHL affiliate here is potentially going to put a huge strain on the boys in terms of playing and road trips. They are moderately close to the bulk of their opponents up in Albany. From Charlotte is definitely a trek. Will they stay in their current conference/division or will they be on the move. If they move, where do they go? It isn't as if there's anyone close to Charlotte with a team...the affiliates in IL and TX are still a haul.

I also feel bad for Albany's fans, who have supported both the Rats and the Canes the past several years. They've given the youngsters a tremendous amount of support.

L

It really sucks for the guys in Albany, but this is a good move for the organization. It will do nothing but good things for the fanbase, and it will make it cheaper, faster, easier to call up players from the AHL. It will also help the prospects get to know to some extent the kind of atmosphere they will play in if they make the big leagues.

Just a question about logistics: aren't most of the AHL teams in the northeast? Makes for some long bus rides? I assume the Checkers name stays?

The
' top minor-league affiliate will begin play in Charlotte, N.C., next season.

The AHL announced Tuesday that the league's board of governors approved the sale of the Albany River Rats to Michael Kahn and the team will move to Charlotte for next season and be called the Charlotte Checkers.

The Checkers will begin play with the 2010-11 AHL season at the Time Warner Cable Arena.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=517114

The name will stick.

Just a question about logistics: aren't most of the AHL teams in the northeast? Makes for some long bus rides? I assume the Checkers name stays?
It looks that way. Here is a map showing the location of all the AHL teams compliments of Wikipedia:  AHL wiki

600px-NewAHLmap.png

Well now they have more incentive to work harder and get to the NHL so they can get off the bus!