The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Justicemsb

DONE DEAL!!! Cane's AHL team to move to Charlotte

Side note: what exactly is a Checker?
I believe it is a single playing piece in a game of checkers or the person who sells you a "Tim Gleason knuckle sandwich" at Harris Teeter.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

TSA']
Side note:
what exactly is a Checker?

I believe it is a single playing piece in a game of checkers or the person who sells you a "Tim Gleason knuckle sandwich" at Harris Teeter.

I don't know I think they original named them the Checkers because of Charlotte being kind of the home of Nascar, plus when you hit people in Hockey you're checking them, so the players are Checkers?  I don't know for sure, but I do know their old jerseys sucked and their current ones look pretty good, hopefully they'll keep them around for the new team but add some hurricanes to the shoulders. 

Overall this is GREAT news, Charlotte is only a couple of hours away so like others here who live west of Winston-Salem, we'll be hitting up some Checkers games.  I am sorry for the Albany faithful though, I wish we could have went the expansion route and not have to take someone else's team, kind of like how the Whale moved to Raleigh.  But such is life I guess

[quote name='Appstatecanesfan wrote:

OBXer wrote:

TSA']

Side note:
what exactly is a Checker?

I don't know I think they original named them the Checkers because of Charlotte being kind of the home of Nascar, plus when you hit people in Hockey you're checking them, so the players are Checkers?  I don't know for sure, but I do know their old jerseys sucked and their current ones look pretty good, hopefully they'll keep them around for the new team but add some hurricanes to the shoulders. 

Overall this is GREAT news, Charlotte is only a couple of hours away so like others here who live west of Winston-Salem, we'll be hitting up some Checkers games.  I am sorry for the Albany faithful though, I wish we could have went the expansion route and not have to take someone else's team, kind of like how the Whale moved to Raleigh.  But such is life I guess

I get it. It was just an attempt at humor. The move to Charlotte makes sense and Checkers is an established name no matter what the origin of the name. I just felt we had a special relationship with Albany and I enjoyed the posts from the members up there. I will miss the connection and will no longer be able to count on the Rats to send  young talent to the rescue. There was just something special about having "Rats" in your lineup.

Great news indeed for the future of hockey in NC.

Kind of bittersweet for those who have been around the boards here for some time.   While its great for the Canes and the fans to have the team here in NC, we don't want to lose Max and Sandpiper who have kept us up to date with first hand info, pictures and articles about the Rats for as long as they've been in Albany.   Hopefully you guys will still check in here regularly and maybe we can keep you up to date on some of your favorite players, looks like quite a few have a chance to be here in Raleigh next season .

Just wanted to say thanks for all you've done for us and hopefully you'll both continue to contribute to the board.

Side note: what exactly is a Checker?

Assuming you don't decide to trade your current back-up goalie or a couple of other current Rats/future Checkers you'll still be stuck with me. I plan on keeping tabs on our boys (and make no mistake, they're our boys regardless of where they play, a good chunk of us feel that way...lol) and the new team in Albany too. Hopefully I'll make it to some games they play as the new team. Of course you keep Peters up with the Canes and I'll be going to a bunch more NHL games than originally anticipated.

Sorry for repeating what so many others have said but as exciting as this is for the Canes, for Charlotte, for the Carolinas, and for hockey in the south, I sincerely feel a little heartache for the Rats faithful in Albany. I just want to say to Max and the others: thank you so much for your info over the years and I hope you will stick around here to follow the players. Checkers fans will inevitably start populating here with info. Very bittersweet feeling.

FYI (because I'm sure people will wonder as I have) the Checkers have averaged 5,300 in attendance this season while Albany has averaged 3,500. I was curious about these numbers as a barometer for the future of the Checkers franchise.

ECHL Checkers will be sold.

Charlotte only has 2 nearby ECHL teams these - Columbia, Augusta, and several others are gone.  Travel won't be much different.

Time Warner Cable is a nice arena - but it's designed for NBA basketball.  The ice is offset leaving no seating behind one of the goals.  The upper level offers a nice view, but it's high.  The upper level is only open when needed.  The lower bowl holds 6800 for hockey.  The unobstructed hockey capacity is 10,000 with a total of 14,100 for hockey.  The Checkers set an ECHL 2009-2010 attendance record on 12/26/09 with over 10k and broke that record on 1/22/10 with 11k.  Since they began playing uptown, they have surpassed the 10k mark several times - quite a feat for AA hockey.  Attendance at their old arena - a dated facility from the 50s not easily accesible - was averaging about 4k.  The Checkers average 6000 before the recession started and even now average 5300 - which would make them 8th in the AHL.

Unlike the RBC Center , TWC Arena is within walking distance to dozens of bars and restaurants.  You can also take the light rail for $3 round trip and avoid the parking uptown.  Concessions can be expensive - even more than the RBC Center.  Beers are $7.50 for a 20 oz domestic.  However, both the Bobcats and Checkers offer weeknight discounts.

www.thecheckerboard.com is an unofficial Checkers board.  You can check in there as they'll be keeping up with the goings on in Charlotte.

TSA - you have no idea how excited we are. You can see the excitement on the message board. It's been rumoured for about 6 weeks and everyone knew it was "done but unofficial." Several years ago, when the team first moved uptown, some members of the front office said they would like to have a Hurricanes affiliation in 5 years. I don't think anyone expected us to become AHL. The news outlets have even been interviewing people at the games here and there for a few weeks.

Much of the Checkers fans hail from south of the state line too (self included) so this is good for both states.

There's a link to the press conferencre with the involved parties on www.news14.com

We're also happy the name is staying but are looking forward to becoming "black and red" hopefully.

By the way, the ECHL Checkers beat the division rivals SC 3-1 at home tonight. The Checkers have not lost (excluding 1 so loss) since 12/26.

" Charlotte is 8-0-1 in its last nine home games".

This was the last regular season meeting between the 2 teams.

The origins are unclear but it probably has to do with hockey terminology - and it's possible that it's a double etendre nod to stock car racing. Anyway, as you can tell by the logo, the mascot is a polar bear named "Chubby Checker." He will stay and he's awesome. He's the only mascot to be ejected from a game - for squirting an opposing player with a squirt gun while in the penatly box.

Feel awful for Max and company. Just awful because Max has meant A LOT to this board over the last few years with his updates and information provided on players and happenings with the team. Very disappointed for him right now.

ECHL Checkers will be sold.

Charlotte only has 2 nearby ECHL teams these - Columbia, Augusta, and several others are gone.  Travel won't be much different.

Time Warner Cable is a nice arena - but it's designed for NBA basketball.  The ice is offset leaving no seating behind one of the goals.  The upper level offers a nice view, but it's high.  The upper level is only open when needed.  The lower bowl holds 6800 for hockey.  The unobstructed hockey capacity is 10,000 with a total of 14,100 for hockey.  The Checkers set an ECHL 2009-2010 attendance record on 12/26/09 with over 10k and broke that record on 1/22/10 with 11k.  Since they began playing uptown, they have surpassed the 10k mark several times - quite a feat for AA hockey.  Attendance at their old arena - a dated facility from the 50s not easily accesible - was averaging about 4k.  The Checkers average 6000 before the recession started and even now average 5300 - which would make them 8th in the AHL.

Unlike the RBC Center , TWC Arena is within walking distance to dozens of bars and restaurants.  You can also take the light rail for $3 round trip and avoid the parking uptown.  Concessions can be expensive - even more than the RBC Center.  Beers are $7.50 for a 20 oz domestic.  However, both the Bobcats and Checkers offer weeknight discounts.

www.thecheckerboard.com is an unofficial Checkers board.  You can check in there as they'll be keeping up with the goings on in Charlotte.

Congrats! It should be lots of fun for the Checker fans moving up to AHL.  You guys were always some of the nicest fans whenever the team came to play the Lynx.  Hockey  (SPHL) will be back in Augusta next fall it's not the same as the big boys but because of the minor leagues I became a fan of the game and will forever be grateful.   

Happy Dance banana.gif

Because I get to go see Casey Borer play next year. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping to see Casey Borer play next year too, but not because they're moving to Charlotte. I'm hoping he'll be back 100%, catch up on his development and fighting for one of the positions on D with the 'Canes, not the Checkers.

I know it has to be a sad day for Albany fans, as well as the players, fans, and coaches of the ECHL Checkers as they will likely be moved out of the area. However for Hurricanes fans and the city of Charlotte this has to be an exciting announcement to hear. Players for the Canes can buy a house in Carolina and not have to worry about not being away from home or having to relocate when being called up to the Hurricanes Roster. The Checkers have a very good following, and i expect that to continue and even grow now that the future of the Hurricanes will be in the state as well.

Being a huge Hurricanes fan and living in Charlotte I am so excited for this. I have been talking about it for weeks with people down here. I love giong to Checkers games and now the level of play is giong to be so much better it is going to be a real treat. I go to Hurricanes games when ever I can and am working up there during the week. I can't remember the last game I went to on the weekend, but now I have the Checkers on the weekends. Talking my mother-in-laws company into getting rid of their stupid Bobcats tix and getting a box for the Checkers season next year. Hoping to be at every game. So Excited! But, I do feel bad for you Albany fans that have been so great. I am sure you will have a new team to be excited about soon. Go CheckCanes!

Not much new has been mentioned today.  There was an article in the Charlotte Business Journal regarding the costs operating an AHL team over an ECHL team.  The Checkers are on a year to year lease at TWC Arena (owned by Charlotte and operated by the Bobcasts).  The Bobcats will hopefully soon be sold, but that leaves questions as to how the new owners (whoever they will be) handle the hockey team's lease.  The players love playing there, but they play 2nd fiddle to the Bobcats.  It happens though.  They will be the 5th AHL team that plays in an NBA arena. Luckily the AHL makes their schedule after the NBA and home games cannot be schedule 2 consecutive nights in the NBA.

I do feel bad for Max and Sandpiper and the rest of the Albany fans. But this can only bring good things for the Canes and the Carolina's. I'm excited to see the fan base continue to grow and I hope it continues to do so not only in NC but SC as well.

Just speaking for me, I'm definitely excited about having the 'Canes' AHL affiliate in CLT as I normally go to 8 to 10 games a year.  The Checkers have a loyal fan base and although technically this will be a different team, we love our franchise name Checkers as it has a special meaning especially for me who became a fan as a kid watching the Checkers. 

A little history, this became our team name in 1956 when the Baltimore Clippers relocated here until the late 70s.  Then when hockey returned in the 90s, the Checkers name was revived. 

While, I don't think it's official, I think, or at least hope, we are keeping our team name.  Charlotte River Rats--I don't think so, but we'll adjust if necessary. Anyway, I'm looking forward to next season and seeing some hot young players just a "heart-beat" away from the NHL. 

Good luck to the AHL Charlotte "Checkers," thank you to the ECHL Charlotte Checkers, and bless your heart Carolina Hurricanes!