The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jb_online

Canes vs Wild to open '10-11 in Helsinki - New Travel Package info added!

Bummer: Wild and Canes are struggling teams, smaller market, etc., so it looks like they got the non-TV games since they are on Thursday and Friday.   Not sure what we'll get to see on TV, if anything.

Bonus: Canes play early, so maybe they'll have a bit more recovery time coming back to USA. 

I just hope we don't come back to the states, completely dead after this monster road trip.  It's awesome that we our team gets to be one of the teams chosen to go over there.  I guess since it's a Compuware event, and well the owner of Compuware owns the 'Canes and the fact we have a few high end Finns on our team doesn't hurt either.  Will the 'Canes get to play one of the Finn League teams?  That'd be awesome.

Listening to Karmonos's press conference was worth it just to hear him say that he wants the team to win every game but when they do he & JR are mad because they want the #1 draft pick!  Nice to hear him admit it and to know we are not alone.

that was such a weird press conference...

"some crappy team from western canada..."

"the black hole known as greensboro"

biggrin.gif

Sounds like Charlotte will be our AHL affiliate now, and we may get some word on the all-star game by the all-star game this year.

That will be an awesome expierence for the team and the 3 Fins. But as App said I hope they don't come back dead tired after the trip. However they've got a lot of time to prepare so I'm not worried about that right now.

That would be fun to go to. Better get my passport in order.

Oh crud. Mine's expired, and at the rate they are processing passports these days, it might well be fall before a new one arrives even if I get my paperwork in order in the next week or two.

[quote name='romansperson wrote:

acaniac']That would be fun to go to. Better get my passport in order.

Oh crud. Mine's expired, and at the rate they are processing passports these days, it might well be fall before a new one arrives even if I get my paperwork in order in the next week or two.

I just applied for mine and they told me it'd be here by March 16th, so not too bad.  Of course I'm in Asheville, I don't know what the case load would be down where you're from.

[quote name='Appstatecanesfan wrote:

romansperson wrote:

acaniac']That would be fun to go to. Better get my passport in order.

I just applied for mine and they told me it'd be here by March 16th, so not too bad.  Of course I'm in Asheville, I don't know what the case load would be down where you're from.

The State Department site says 4-6 weeks now, which is way better than the 3-4 months they listed the last time I checked! Maybe the economy has slowed applications down - at any rate, time to strike while the processing is relatively quick!

[quote name='romansperson wrote:

Appstatecanesfan wrote:

romansperson']

The State Department site says 4-6 weeks now, which is way better than the 3-4 months they listed the last time I checked! Maybe the economy has slowed applications down - at any rate, time to strike while the processing is relatively quick!Generally speaking, renewing an expired passport is quicker than the stated time. You'll be fine.

Got to renew that passport. We'll make efforts to be there!!  I understand the Canes Organization is currently working with a travel company regarding travel packages, tickets packages, etc.  Information will come out soon!

[quote name='Sprague wrote:

Appstatecanesfan']Will the 'Canes get to play one of the Finn League teams?  That'd be awesome.

Yeah. There would be many interesting teams to play against.

Welcome to our new members from Finland.  People have a ton of questions about Helsinki, the venue and general travel info.  If any of you can provide some answers that would really be great.  Sounds like several Cane's fans are ready to make the trip so any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

Count me in on the group of people going.  I'm so excited about this.  Trying to learn Finnish, which is very hard mind you, but I'm still trying.  It would probably be easier if I actually could talk to someone who speaks Finnish.  LOL 

Just waiting for the Canes to come out with a package.  Need to get passport too, this will be a blast not only for us Caniacs, but for the people in Finland too. 

I agree with you TSA and welcome to the Finns on our board.  Any language help would be great too.  Do people in Helsinki speak english, or do the majority of them speak Finnish?  This way I know if I'm going to be doomed.  roll.gif 

Just received bulk email message from PJ, Director of Sales in Canes front office. Confirmed - they are looking to work with a travel agency to get packages/tickets in place for STH. The email did not state what would be provided for non-STH. I have been one of the many STH to bombard them with reasoned pleas for packages.

Looks like I'm on the market for some Finnish language tapes. The only thing I know how to say is Merry Christmas, and is pronounced nothing like it sounds.

Hauskaa Joulua

I got TeachYourself Finnish by Terttu Leney from Borders.  Sorry to say, I got the only one they had several months ago.  It has helped me.  I am thinking of getting something else to.  You are right, nothing sounds like it looks.  Sauna is another one.  LOL