The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jb_online

Canes vs Wild to open '10-11 in Helsinki - New Travel Package info added!

I agree with you TSA and welcome to the Finns on our board.  Any language help would be great too.  Do people in Helsinki speak english, or do the majority of them speak Finnish?  This way I know if I'm going to be doomed.   
As I understand, one of the reasons why Rosetta Stone doesn't offer Finnish is because most Finns do indeed speak English so demand to learn Finnish as a second language is not high.  That being said, I'm like the rest of you who will try to learn some of the language before heading over, but I don't think it will be a prohibiter for us.  I think we'll be okay with English.

ETA:  A quick browse around the internets seems to suggest that somewhere between 60%-70% of Finns speak English so I think we'll survive!

If I can get tickets somehow, I'll be there as well. Living in Germany, my way there isn't that long, a flight shouldn't take more than about 2 hrs for me. This will be the first time I'll see the canes, or even any NHL team live, makes me really excited!

If some of you guys come over, I'd love to meet you there...will be a great time smile.gif

Does anyone know something about when tickt sales will start?

[quote name='Sprague wrote:

Portisfreak']Does anyone know something about when tickt sales will start?

In Finland the ticket sale will begin on 15th of March 09:00 am.

Edit.

08:00 am  Germany's time.

Ah, thanks for the Info. How you gotta know? I've been searching for a whole while now...

If I can get tickets somehow, I'll be there as well. Living in Germany, my way there isn't that long, a flight shouldn't take more than about 2 hrs for me. This will be the first time I'll see the canes, or even any NHL team live, makes me really excited!

If some of you guys come over, I'd love to meet you there...will be a great time smile.gif

Does anyone know something about when tickt sales will start?

That sounds great!  I would love to meet our European fans.  That and I listen to a lot of German music. 

[quote name='Portisfreak wrote:

Sprague wrote:

Portisfreak']Does anyone know something about when tickt sales will start?

In Finland the ticket sale will begin on 15th of March 09:00 am.

Edit.

08:00 am  Germany's time.

Ah, thanks for the Info. How you gotta know? I've been searching for a whole while now...

Here's a link:

Hi guys!

I'm from Finland and i'm so excited about this, i gotta get tickets to both games as soon as they're available.

I can also help you with some questions if you have any, about Finland? Helsinki(i live here)? Hartwall arena? anything at all?

Hi guys!

I'm from Finland and i'm so excited about this, i gotta get tickets to both games as soon as they're available.

I can also help you with some questions if you have any, about Finland? Helsinki(i live here)? Hartwall arena? anything at all?

So many questions!

What will the weather be like in October? If you were showing someone around Helsinki, what would you show them? Where would you take them to eat? What hotel would you stay in there? Would people appreciate it if you tried to learn a little Finnish, or would they laugh at you for being bad at speaking it? laugh.gif How far outside the city center is Hartwall Arena? I assume you can get public transportation to it, right?

Hi guys!

My question is this: my hubby may come over with me and daughter, however, his interests run more toward hunting and fishing. Is there fishing charters, and what's in season in October?

I've traveled Sweden and Denmark rather extensively, pretty much all of Scandinavia (and western Europe for that matter) can speak English.  You'll be fine. 
Vancouver Sun: Did you have tolearn any Finnish to survive?  Glen Hanlon: Finland is wonderful place to live and work. English is spokenthere not only in hockey but on the streets and everywhere. My familyand I were never, ever in any tough situations through lack of language.  http://www.faceoff.com/st...9-46aa-959b-691b4916d9ad

[quote name='romansperson wrote:

Mygy']Hi guys!

So many questions!

What will the weather be like in October? If you were showing someone around Helsinki, what would you show them? Where would you take them to eat? What hotel would you stay in there? Would people appreciate it if you tried to learn a little Finnish, or would they laugh at you for being bad at speaking it? laugh.gif How far outside the city center is Hartwall Arena? I assume you can get public transportation to it, right?

I'm excited too of the CAR - MIN match-up. Too bad that i cant go to see it because im going to army service on summer (Unless i have a holiday from there at that weekend) but i can help you with some of the questions. Weather at october can be pretty cold, there is no snow (Usually) but it is cold. There is alot of art statues around the city and lot of sophisticated restaurants, the statues are boring so you could go see the city and its shops. Someone else could help you with the hotels because i dont know many hotels actually i know 2 hotels in Finland ^^ Dont worry theres lot more hotels.

If you try to learn little Finnish go for it, people dont mind. Hartwall arena isnt far from the center of the city, you can get there easily by train or bus

I'm sorry for the bad english writing but atleast i tried to help ^^

Näkemiin! (And that means good bye in finnish)

[quote name='romansperson wrote:

Mygy']Hi guys!

So many questions!

Weather is always beautiful in Finland, even if it rains . But we have never had those hurricanes here, so it´s kind of exciting  to see what kind of damage that two day phenomena will do in our beautiful capital. Transportation is good here , you get to Hartwall easily. Suprise a finn with few words of finnish, and see what happens. Helsinki is a beatiful city, and it is called the pearl of the Baltic sea. 

I guess there´s a little something for everyone in here , so you just have to point what you´re into and explore. Welcome to Finland , folks!               

The Finnish style is not to tell you good things about our country, keep this in mind while reading. The weather in Helsinki in October is terrible. It is dark, 5-10 Celsius-degrees (40-50 F-deg.), you don't be seeing the sun at all. Also (as a native) I think there's not much to see in Helsinki. Everything is smaller in Europe than in North America and Helsinki is relatively expensive place (depends on the exchange rate between Euros and USD, of course). However, if you just want to discover the life in here, this is a very good opportunity. October is also a good time to see some landscape in Lapland (Northern Finland; one should probably go there in September already). 

There are also good things about Finland: The general infrastructure in Finland works very well, the customer service is good, people are honest and helpful (but you have to ASK for help if you need it). Everybody in major cities speaks (or at least understands) English, but if you know some words in Finnish, it is very much appreciated. If you happen to be a celebrity, you might be disappointed, because everybody gets the same service in Scandinavia. It may be hard to find real luxus stuff (service etc.) in Finland, but in general where ever you go, there really should not be anything to complain about. Finland in general is not a bad place to be.

And yes, it is very easy to get to the arena, it's one train stop from the city center (all the trains stop on that station). If there will be games against Finnish teams, there will be some in Helsinki and then most probably in Tampere or perhaps Oulu, both nice towns (210 000 and 130 000 inhabitants, ~160 and ~500 km to North from Helsinki, respectively).

Information about the arena can be found at http://www.hartwall-areena.com/

Information about Helsinki can be found at http://www.helsinki.fi/en/index.html

Information about Finland can be found at http://finland.fi/ and http://visitfinland.com/

If you have any questions, I am glad to answer. Also I would love to meet people from this forum in Helsinki.

The Finnish style is not to tell you good things about our country, keep this in mind while reading. The weather in Helsinki in October is terrible. It is dark, 5-10 Celsius-degrees (40-50 F-deg.), you don't be seeing the sun at all. Also (as a native) I think there's not much to see in Helsinki. Everything is smaller in Europe than in North America and Helsinki is relatively expensive place (depends on the exchange rate between Euros and USD, of course). However, if you just want to discover the life in here, this is a very good opportunity. October is also a good time to see some landscape in Lapland (Northern Finland; one should probably go there in September already). 

There are also good things about Finland: The general infrastructure in Finland works very well, the customer service is good, people are honest and helpful (but you have to ASK for help if you need it). Everybody in major cities speaks (or at least understands) English, but if you know some words in Finnish, it is very much appreciated. If you happen to be a celebrity, you might be disappointed, because everybody gets the same service in Scandinavia. It may be hard to find real luxus stuff (service etc.) in Finland, but in general where ever you go, there really should not be anything to complain about. Finland in general is not a bad place to be.

And yes, it is very easy to get to the arena, it's one train stop from the city center (all the trains stop on that station). If there will be games against Finnish teams, there will be some in Helsinki and then most probably in Tampere or perhaps Oulu, both nice towns (210 000 and 130 000 inhabitants, ~160 and ~500 km to North from Helsinki, respectively).

Information about the arena can be found at http://www.hartwall-areena.com/

Information about Helsinki can be found at http://www.helsinki.fi/en/index.html

Information about Finland can be found at http://finland.fi/ and http://visitfinland.com/

If you have any questions, I am glad to answer. Also I would love to meet people from this forum in Helsinki.

Maybe that is why no one wants to come here. Damn those polar bears that roam the streets, yearning for raw human flesh to eat.

Yes , actually maybe i was a little too positive in my introduction of Helsinki. Here comes the reality. Finnish people are rude , ugly and fat.

We never smile to anyone, and if we by some mistake do, people run away because our dental hygiene is poor, as is our hygiene all together.

The sun never shines here so we are very pale and we have humanoid-like eyes, with which we stare into nothingness, while roaming this

agonizing road to oblivion. 

Summer is very brief here, and everytime we seem  to miss it  because our state of hibernation is too deep.

So we never wake up completely, we live in a kind of a dream world. That is how are we , the finns , and our nation of suffer.

Infrastructure here is very DDR like, Working fine, but everyhings bleak , here´s nothing to see. All of our traditions are based on losing battle with glory , that is why we never win anything. ( It comes from the TALVISOTA) So this is more accurate description about us and our poor

nation. And by the way, we do not want any foreign people coming here messing our self-pity and egoism with their sunny smiles and 

cheerful attitude.

[quote name='v1atlantis wrote:

pannumon']

The Finnish style is not to tell you good things about our country
, keep this in mind while reading. The weather in Helsinki in October is terrible. It is dark, 5-10 Celsius-degrees (40-50 F-deg.), you don't be seeing the sun at all. Also (as a native) I think there's not much to see in Helsinki. Everything is smaller in Europe than in North America and Helsinki is relatively expensive place (depends on the exchange rate between Euros and USD, of course). However, if you just want to discover the life in here, this is a very good opportunity. October is also a good time to see some landscape in Lapland (Northern Finland; one should probably go there in September already). 

Information about the arena can be found at

Information about Helsinki can be found at

Information about Finland can be found at
and

Maybe that is why no one wants to come here. Damn those polar bears that roam the streets, yearning for raw human flesh to eat.
Yes , actually maybe i was a little too positive in my introduction of Helsinki. Here comes the reality. Finnish people are rude , ugly and fat.
We never smile to anyone, and if we by some mistake do, people run away because our dental hygiene is poor, as is our hygiene all together.
The sun never shines here so we are very pale and we have humanoid-like eyes, with which we stare into nothingness, while roaming this

Summer is very brief here, and everytime we seem  to miss it  because our state of hibernation is too deep.
So we never wake up completely, we live in a kind of a dream world. That is how are we , the finns , and our nation of suffer.

Infrastructure here is very DDR like, Working fine, but everyhings bleak , here´s nothing to see. All of our traditions are based on losing battle with glory , that is why we never win anything. ( It comes from the TALVISOTA) So this is more accurate description about us and our poor
nation. And by the way, we do not want any foreign people coming here messing our self-pity and egoism with their sunny smiles and 
cheerful attitude.LOL!!!! Funny.

groupwave.gif

Mironov, v1atlantis, pannumon, thanks for the info and links. (and Mironov, your English writing is just fine. I know native English speakers who do not do as well). I think the weather will be fine - it sounds like it will be the same there in October as it is in the city I grew up in, but I will have to check a bag with the airlines, as sweaters and a coat will take up space.

ivyleager, the site pannumon listed has some info about fishing: http://www.visitfinland.com/en_US/web/guest/fishing/home

That visitfinland.com site is great, btw, I've already found about 5 cool things I'd like to do.

Tervetuloa Mironov! You should hear my Finnish. LOL Your English is much better than my Finnish. I know just enough to be dangerous. Although I haven't learned to ask where's the bathroom. LOL Maybe that should have been my first phrase.

I can't wait to meet some of you from Helsinki when I come. I'm so excited about this.

pannumon']

The Finnish style is not to tell you good things about our country
, keep this in mind while reading. The weather in Helsinki in October is terrible. It is dark, 5-10 Celsius-degrees (40-50 F-deg.), you don't be seeing the sun at all. Also (as a native) I think there's not much to see in Helsinki. Everything is smaller in Europe than in North America and Helsinki is relatively expensive place (depends on the exchange rate between Euros and USD, of course). However, if you just want to discover the life in here, this is a very good opportunity. October is also a good time to see some landscape in Lapland (Northern Finland; one should probably go there in September already). 

Information about the arena can be found at

Information about Helsinki can be found at

Information about Finland can be found at
and

cheerful attitude.

ROFL!!!  You sure you aren't a bunch of Goths?  If so, I will fit in perfectly.  LOL  tongue.gif  It's great to have you guys here.   

I'll make sure to keep my smiling to a minimum while I'm there.  I may steal a polar bear or two.  wink.gif  wonder if I can get them on the plane back.

No, we are more like heavymetal rednecks from hell, with boatloads of slavic melancholy.

Gotcha.  I can't find much Finnish music though.  Got a couple of Finnish bands, more of the main stream ones.  Well End of You isn't that main stream and neither is Ember's Flame.  Maybe I will hear something that I like when I'm there and pick it up.

[quote name='GhoulieGirl wrote:

v1atlantis']No, we are more like heavymetal rednecks from hell, with boatloads of slavic melancholy.

Gotcha.  I can't find much Finnish music though.  Got a couple of Finnish bands, more of the main stream ones.  Well End of You isn't that main stream and neither is Ember's Flame.  Maybe I will hear something that I like when I'm there and pick it up.

http://www.metalfromfinland.com/

GhoulieGirl wrote:

v1atlantis']No, we are more like heavymetal rednecks from hell, with boatloads of slavic melancholy.

http://www.metalfromfinland.com/

Thanks for the link.  I see a couple of bands I already have, like H.I.M. and The 69 Eyes.  I guess The 69 Eyes really aren't main stream either.  LOL  Can't wait to check the others out.  Thanks a bunch!