The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jb_online

Canes vs Wild to open '10-11 in Helsinki - New Travel Package info added!

Speaking of Finnish metal, I can't believe no one has mentioned Apocalyptica. I'd think they're the most well known here, though I admit my metal knowledge is rooted in the past, not the present, and I know of them mainly from their Metallica covers. rockon.gif

Speaking of Finnish metal, I can't believe no one has mentioned Apocalyptica. I'd think they're the most well known here, though I admit my metal knowledge is rooted in the past, not the present, and I know of them mainly from their Metallica covers. rockon.gif
They are Finnish?  Wow, I didn't know that.  Loved their Metallica covers.

Well then, after planning around a bit, it seems like everything is basically in the box (except of actually acquiring the tickets). If I can get those tickets (which are pretty much expensive), me and a friend will be staying in Helsinki from 06. to 09. of octobre smile.gif

Speaking about finnish metal bands...you should check out "Amorphis"...great Gothic/Death Metal Band in the beginning, the "Tales from a thousand lakes" album is surely a milestone of atmospheric, gothic touched Death metal. Today, they're more likely some kinda progressive metal with still some influences from their old days. But still: I Really like'em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTK4NY9-S1E (old song from the mid 90ies)

Well then, after planning around a bit, it seems like everything is basically in the box (except of actually acquiring the tickets). If I can get those tickets (which are pretty much expensive), me and a friend will be staying in Helsinki from 06. to 09. of octobre smile.gif

Speaking about finnish metal bands...you should check out "Amorphis"...great Gothic/Death Metal Band in the beginning, the "Tales from a thousand lakes" album is surely a milestone of atmospheric, gothic touched Death metal. Today, they're more likely some kinda progressive metal with still some influences from their old days. But still: I Really like'em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTK4NY9-S1E (old song from the mid 90ies)

Hope you can make it. Welcome if you do.

We are still waiting on ticket packages to be offered by the Canes organization, but as soon as they do, I'm getting mine. I'm really hoping to meet some of you guys from the board while I'm there.

Okay, I love the guitar in that song. That opening melody is awesome! guess I'll be getting on itunes tonight. LOL I really like this song. Yes Portisfreak, you got me hooked. LOL

We are still waiting on ticket packages to be offered by the Canes organization, but as soon as they do, I'm getting mine. I'm really hoping to meet some of you guys from the board while I'm there.

Okay, I love the guitar in that song. That opening melody is awesome! guess I'll be getting on itunes tonight. LOL I really like this song. Yes Portisfreak, you got me hooked. LOL

You´ll meet me there for sure. Amorphis is very good. They take their lyrics from our national epic poem Kalevala. If you´re looking to understand us finns , i strongly recommend that you read it. From there you can find out that we  don´t need guns and swords to destroy our enemy. We just simply sing them to swamp. http://www.finlit.fi/kalevala/index.php?m=162&l=2

[quote name='v1atlantis wrote:

GhoulieGirl']We are still waiting on ticket packages to be offered by the Canes organization, but as soon as they do, I'm getting mine. I'm really hoping to meet some of you guys from the board while I'm there.

You´ll meet me there for sure. Amorphis is very good. They take their lyrics from our national epic poem Kalevala. If you´re looking to understand us finns , i strongly recommend that you read it. From there you can find out that we  don´t need guns and swords to destroy our enemy. We just simply sing them to swamp. http://www.finlit.fi/kalevala/index.php?m=162&l=2Thanks for the link.  I've saved it to my favorites.  I can read this during my lunch break. 

I do have a question though, is this a book I can order from say like Borders or Barnes and Noble, or is it just on this site? 

[quote name='GhoulieGirl wrote:

v1atlantis wrote:

GhoulieGirl']We are still waiting on ticket packages to be offered by the Canes organization, but as soon as they do, I'm getting mine. I'm really hoping to meet some of you guys from the board while I'm there.

You´ll meet me there for sure. Amorphis is very good. They take their lyrics from our national epic poem Kalevala. If you´re looking to understand us finns , i strongly recommend that you read it. From there you can find out that we  don´t need guns and swords to destroy our enemy. We just simply sing them to swamp.
Thanks for the link.  I've saved it to my favorites.  I can read this during my lunch break. 

I do have a question though, is this a book I can order from say like Borders or Barnes and Noble, or is it just on this site? 

You should be able to order it.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/SearchResults?keyword=kalevala&type=0&simple=1

http://books.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=kalevala&box=kalevala&pos=-1

That is very correct . Good luck with that. Our language is not very easy , because it ´s so different from germanic languages,

and the pronunciation is very different. We pronounce  letters in words in same form that they are pronounced in alphabet.

Finnish language also has lots of words that are the same but have very different meaning, so you have to guess from the nuances

of the speech or from the context that the word is in what the meaning of it is. Does this last sentence make any sense?

I just wrote it, but i´m not sure i understand it...

Good lord, what a geek i am. grin.gif

That is very correct . Good luck with that. Our language is not very easy , because it ´s so different from germanic languages,

and the pronunciation is very different. We pronounce  letters in words in same form that they are pronounced in alphabet.

Finnish language also has lots of words that are the same but have very different meaning, so you have to guess from the nuances

of the speech or from the context that the word is in what the meaning of it is. Does this last sentence make any sense?

I just wrote it, but i´m not sure i understand it...

Good lord, what a geek i am. grin.gif

You are not telling me anything that I haven't already run across.  I will agree your language is hard, but if I can get some phrases down, I should be okay.  At least with how I am learning comes with a CD that has people speaking the words in Finnish, so I can get the pronuciation correct.  LOL

You're not a geek...I am a geek for learning a language I will rarely learn, but it is a challenge.  I'm enjoying it.  Now, that was a geek statement.  LOL

v1atlantis']

When you can understand ,verbatim , what he is saying , then you´re ready

wink.gif

I am in so much trouble.  LOL I have a long ways to go!

Yea , but i have faith in you. You can do it.

smile.gif

[quote name='v1atlantis wrote:

GhoulieGirl wrote:

v1atlantis']

When you can understand ,verbatim , what he is saying , then you´re ready

wink.gif

I am in so much trouble.  LOL I have a long ways to go!

smile.gif

Kittos!  Now if my ISP would work when I want it to at home.  LOL

v1atlantis wrote:

GhoulieGirl']I am in so much trouble.  LOL I have a long ways to go!

smile.gif

Kittos!  Now if my ISP would work when I want it to at home.  LOL

Yeah i can relate. You wouldn´t believe the troubles we have here with connections sometimes, especially this winter. This is the most harsh winter in last three decades in here. Snow mounts into trees , and when its over -30 degrees during nighttime, trees are deep frozen and go bang into two like toothpicks. And when they do that , the top of the tree falls on powerlines and blackouts the whole town/city/village. Same happens to telephone lines -> then broadband says no to me. Fortunately i have computer and internet connection in my workspace  - in the truck. 

I am somewhat priviledged. I had a week left of my annual holidays to spend , and  i decided to spend it this week for obvious reasons. My boss was not very pleased when i informed him that i am going to take this week off. I guess he wanted to watch olympics as well. I just hope that he hasn´t got someone to replace me when i try and go back next monday.

Me too. This years match-up between Chicago - Florida was a bit of anticlimax. No finns , well , Antti Niemi plays in Chicago, and Koistinen in Florida , but still . Hartwall Arena was not even sold out . Come october it will be . And if it´s possible you should go and see some FEL game while you´re here. 

Not sure how long the packages are going to be for the trip. I am hoping to hear something next week or so. It will be nice to experience a new culture and stuff. Besides, it's not every day I can get picked on for slaughtering a language. Apparently I'm not too bad. Most of my posters I take to the games here are in Finnish and haven't been laughed at yet. LOL

The guys loved one poster, but I can't put it here. The Finns loved it, and that's all that mattered. It was my very first Finnish Poster.

perhaps u too could meet for lunch??never know..smile.gif

You never know, but I am not one to force or push and issue.  smile.gif  I love meeting new people, making new friends, and experiencing new cultures.  I spent a year in South Korea, thanks to Uncle Sam and the US Army, and what a great experience it was for me.  I am hoping for the same experience in Finland.  A nice vacation away from here and seeing hockey games. 

I want to have enough time to sight see and really experience the culture.  Oh and trying new foods is always a plus.  wink.gif  Hard lesson learned, don't let friends order for you while you have to step away.  You'll never know what you'll get. laugh.gif I have some recipes for Finnish desserts, but no main dishes.  Guess I need to get a cook book.  Probably won't the same as authentic, but still good.  I think reindeer may be close to our deer meat.  I could be wrong though.