The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jb_online

Canes vs Wild to open '10-11 in Helsinki - New Travel Package info added!

[quote name='GhoulieGirl wrote:

dinz']perhaps u too could meet for lunch??never know..
smile.gif

You never know, but I am not one to force or push and issue.  smile.gif  I love meeting new people, making new friends, and experiencing new cultures.  I spent a year in South Korea, thanks to Uncle Sam and the US Army, and what a great experience it was for me.  I am hoping for the same experience in Finland.  A nice vacation away from here and seeing hockey games. 

I want to have enough time to sight see and really experience the culture.  Oh and trying new foods is always a plus.  wink.gif  Hard lesson learned, don't let friends order for you while you have to step away.  You'll never know what you'll get. laugh.gif I have some recipes for Finnish desserts, but no main dishes.  Guess I need to get a cook book.  Probably won't the same as authentic, but still good.  I think reindeer may be close to our deer meat.  I could be wrong though.

Yeah , you know stranger things have happened . The lunch is on me , if we somehow manage to find some time for it. Deer meat is indeed very similar to reindeer. Moose hunting season begins here in last weekend of september , so i  may have to take you with me to do some hunting, too.

[quote name='v1atlantis wrote:

GhoulieGirl wrote:

dinz']perhaps u too could meet for lunch??never know..
smile.gif

You never know, but I am not one to force or push and issue. 
smile.gif
  I love meeting new people, making new friends, and experiencing new cultures.  I spent a year in South Korea, thanks to Uncle Sam and the US Army, and what a great experience it was for me.  I am hoping for the same experience in Finland.  A nice vacation away from here and seeing hockey games. 

I want to have enough time to sight see and really experience the culture.  Oh and trying new foods is always a plus. 
wink.gif
  Hard lesson learned, don't let friends order for you while you have to step away.  You'll never know what you'll get. 
laugh.gif
I have some recipes for Finnish desserts, but no main dishes.  Guess I need to get a cook book.  Probably won't the same as authentic, but still good.  I think reindeer may be close to our deer meat.  I could be wrong though.

Yeah , you know stranger things have happened . The lunch is on me , if we somehow manage to find some time for it. Deer meat is indeed very similar to reindeer. Moose hunting season begins here in last weekend of september , so i  may have to take you with me to do some hunting, too.

Sounds like a plan to me.  I'm sure we should have some time to spare.  smile.gif  My uncle is an avid hunter.  He hunts deer.  I've never seen a real moose in person.  LOL

+15°C / 59°F
This is as warm as it gets in Finland, so we'll start here.
People in Spain wears winter-coats and gloves.
The Finns are out in the sun, getting a tan.

+10°C / 50°F
The French are trying in vain to start their central heating.
The Finns plant flowers in their gardens.

+5°C / 41°F
Italian cars won't start.
The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.

0°C / 32°F
Distilled water freezes.
The water in the Vanda river (in Finland) gets a little thicker.

-5°C / 23°F
People in California almost freeze to death.
The Finns have their final barbecue before winter.

-10°C / 14°F
The Brits start the heat in their houses.
The Finns start using long sleeves.

-20°C / -4°F
The Aussies flee from Mallorca.
The Finns end their Midsummer celebrations. Autumn is here.

-30°C / -22°F
People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth.
The Finns start drying their laundry indoors.

-40°C / -40°F
Paris start cracking in the cold.
The Finns stand in line at the "grilli-kioski".

-50°C / -58°F
Polar bears start evacuating the North Pole.
The Finnish army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.

-60°C / -76°F
Korvatunturi (the real home for Santa Claus) freezes.
The Finns rent a movie and stay indoors.

-70°C / -94°F
The false Santa moves south.
The Finns get frustrated since they can't store their Kossu (Koskenkorva vodka) outdoors.
The Finnish army goes out on winter survival training.

-183°C / -297.4°F
Microbes in food don't survive.
The Finnish cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.

-273°C / -459.4°F
All atom-based movent halts.
The Finns start saying "Perkele, it's cold outside today."

-300°C / -508°F
Hell freezes over.
Finland wins the olympic hockey.

Looks like I will definitely have to try Moose while I'm there. Got any other recommendations?  The only vodka I've tried is Finlandia. They sell that here, believe it or not.  I was shocked.  Very yummy.

I love the weather explanation. I needed a good laugh this morning. YAY!!!   roll.gif

Looks like I will definitely have to try Moose while I'm there. Got any other recommendations?  The only vodka I've tried is Finlandia. They sell that here, believe it or not.  I was shocked.  Very yummy.

I love the weather explanation. I needed a good laugh this morning. YAY!!!   roll.gif

When you´re here you just have to try Koskenkorva. It´s our national drink. Every friday we buy few bottles of it and then we spend our night like this: 

You meticulously manage your plastic bag collection.

You don't think twice about putting wet dishes in the cupboard to dry.

Silence is fun.

Your coffee consumption exceeds 8 cups a day.

You pass a grocery store and think: "Wow, it's open!"

Your native language has seriously deteriorated. Now you "eat medicine", "open the television", and "close the lights off".

You associate pea soup with Thursday.

Your notion of street life is reduced to hanging out in front of the railway station on Friday nights.

After a presentation, you finally stop asking "Are there any questions?"

Hugging is reserved for sexual foreplay.

You no longer look at a track suit as casual wear, but consider it acceptable for formal occasions. Neither do you see a problem wearing white socks with loafers.

You accept alcohol as food.

You no longer eat mashed potatoes - you eat smashed potatoes.

You understand why the Finnish language has no future tense.

You know that "one" beer means "let's get pissed."

When a stranger smiles at you, you assume he is drunk, insane, or American.

You've become lactose intolerant.

You know how to prepare herring 105 different ways.

[quote name='v1atlantis wrote:

GhoulieGirl']Looks like I will definitely have to try Moose while I'm there. Got any other recommendations?  The only
vodka I've tried is Finlandia
. They sell that here, believe it or not.  I was shocked.  Very yummy.

I love the weather explanation. I needed a good laugh this morning. YAY!!!  
roll.gif

When you´re here you just have to try Koskenkorva. It´s our national drink. Every friday we buy few bottles of it and then we spend our night like this: 

I've seen several people have nights like that, including me.  LOL 

I  doubt I will be in Finland long enough to appreciate your other list.  laugh.gif

Just got back from Helsinki so if anyone needs any travel info, I got it.   Great city but not full of historical gothic places.   Good drinking city but expensive to drink.  Easy to get around with the tram system and good airport.   Also, good Rock 'n' Roll city with tons of local bands.   They party hard on weekends.   Also, not as nordic as Sweden due to influences of Russia and Baltic states.  So, in Sweden, I was not mistaken for some Sweede guy, but in Finland, people thought I could be Finish.  

Finnglish is finnish english . And this is what we have to offer to you in our restaurants.

Shrimp and crap salad for two.

Grilled pork shop.

You can have crap on your pizza.

Tepid chicken salad with bread.

We give you water only when you ask.

Dead snails from Åland in garlic and butter sauce

We can serve your steak with much blood, some blood, or well-done.

The house's tart is called Torttu in Finnish and is warm.

Ice cream with warm bear halves and toffee sauce.

Finnish mushroom salad - wild, salty and sticky mushrooms with cream sauce and pickles.

Mexican burrito with mutilated chicken meat and salsa.

Try traditional Finnish pee soup.

We can bring the nuts and drinks to your room (room service card). Drink something if you want (room service card). On our breakfast table you will find the cheese, the meat and some others.

Omelet is made with recent eggs from a local farm where the chickens are alive.

This week is "bird meat week" but we also have a good selection of mammal meat.

Japanese guests can have traditional breakfast with stinky rice and fishes.

Blini served with cream and not real caviar.

Tar ice cream - Finnish special. Good for people who eat tar and lingon berries.

Children's hamburger is served with the French Pizzas. After clock 21 are not. Sorry.

Meat with sweat and sour sauce.

Chin piece of steak with potatoes in cream

Coat cheese and pepper in minced balls

Finnglish is finnish english . And this is what we have to offer to you in our restaurants.

Shrimp and crap salad for two.

Grilled pork shop.

You can have crap on your pizza.

Tepid chicken salad with bread.

We give you water only when you ask.

Dead snails from Åland in garlic and butter sauce

We can serve your steak with much blood, some blood, or well-done.

The house's tart is called Torttu in Finnish and is warm.

Ice cream with warm bear halves and toffee sauce.

Finnish mushroom salad - wild, salty and sticky mushrooms with cream sauce and pickles.

Mexican burrito with mutilated chicken meat and salsa.

Try traditional Finnish pee soup.

We can bring the nuts and drinks to your room (room service card). Drink something if you want (room service card). On our breakfast table you will find the cheese, the meat and some others.

Omelet is made with recent eggs from a local farm where the chickens are alive.

This week is "bird meat week" but we also have a good selection of mammal meat.

Japanese guests can have traditional breakfast with stinky rice and fishes.

Blini served with cream and not real caviar.

Tar ice cream - Finnish special. Good for people who eat tar and lingon berries.

Children's hamburger is served with the French Pizzas. After clock 21 are not. Sorry.

Meat with sweat and sour sauce.

Chin piece of steak with potatoes in cream

Coat cheese and pepper in minced balls

ROFL!!!!  roll.gif

I may soon have to give you some lessons in Finnglish. What a beautiful language it is. That menu sure includes some culinaristic surprises, doesn´t it.
I want the mutilated chicken.  That may be the first thing I try.  LOL  It just sounds so appetizing. 

Fresh off the presses:

*STH's are guaranteed tickets/packages be available to them if they choose

*Tickets/packages to the general public will be available March 15th

*Packages will include game tickets and exclusive access to team events, such as team practices and player meet & greets, as well as local tours, round trip transport to events, airport transfers, on-site staff for assistance, and more.  Both packages with airfare included and land-only packages will be made available.

*Package details to be released within 10-14 days.

In October we used to have winter (before climate change) but it is not impossible.

In wintertime we wash ourselves in sauna  like this [/img]http://www.paljakanloma-a...y%20of%20avantouinti.jpg[/url]. We do not use showers.

And here Monty Python song about Finland

and Michel Palin visiting the real Santa Claus

Here a short vision to Finland history, latest wars and Jean Sibelius. The late part of the video contains "the Finlandia Hymn" (and english lyrics) that is a kind of national anthem:

---
And this is not a joke. Winther Bath is very popular in Finland >

-----------------

Wintherbathers - an old Sauna ritual - has its origin in Finland!

Ice swimming has had a recent surge of popularity among Finns (about 100 000 active). There have been some medical studies (Universtity of Oulu) done and apparently the shock "kickstarts" your adrenal system and gives you a natural endorfine high. In addition, frequent swimmers increase their peripheral circulation and grow metabolically active "brown fat" as opposed to the regular "white fat".  The endorfin high is similar what you get from vigorous exercise or acupuncture and other old-fashioned natural treatments. Ice swimming has been helpful for people with cardiovascular disease, asthma, arthritis and eczema. The Finnish eczema newsgroup people rave about how it totally stops the itch. For medical benefits, people go several times a week, some even daily. Anecdotally, people also claim it gives your skin a healthy glow and makes you shed wrinkles. People also claim that if you go regularly, you don't tend to get the flu or other contagious diseases.

Jump into a lake through a hole in the ice!

1)How long do you stay in the water? 

2)In Finland, do you typically submerge your head? 

3)Average temperatures during this time of the year are -5, to -30 C. Do you still do the jump in this kind of cold? 

4)Have you heard of anyone having health problems upon entering the frigid water? 

5 )How do You feel after?

Answers

Avantouinti, as the feat of swimming in a hole in a frozen lake is called in Finland, is very healthy. About 100 000 Finns are practising it. The younger generation has almost lost the courage (or gained more common sense) but for several years in row the number of winter bathers have increased. 

Winter bath has a solid foothold in the Finnish traditions. 

1) Usually you start with a warm Sauna bath in a temperature about  210 degrees Fahrenheit (100 C). Then You plunge in the water (temperature about 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0-1 C) for just a couple of seconds.  Then go to the Sauna again for some minutes.  Then second plunge in icy water - now some more seconds - and to Sauna again!

The Final Round

PLUNGE IN WATER AND STAY IN WATER AS LONG AS IT FEELS OK. You should stay near ladders and jump up from water when you are beginning to feel some pain in your legs.  In seconds? - Perhaps something between 5 to 20 seconds AND ABSOLUTELY NOT TO SAUNA ANYMORE!! Just change your clothes and – be surprised YOU ARE GOING TO FEEL VERY VERY WARM in SEVERAL HOURS!

2) Some submerge some don't.  I, do submerge - many women do not because of their  hair...

3) The colder air the warmer feels water. There is no problems to take a swim in extreme cold weather conditions ( I have done it in -30C  = -22 degree Fahrenheit.)

4) I haven't heard about any health problems - on the contrary: there are many miracle stories about getting a better health (e.g. rheumatism, muscular pains, head ache and many more)

5) After a winter bath session it HEAVENLY FEELING! (endorphine and cortisone is in your blood!) You feel warm and relaxed. You are going to sleep like log at night!

There is tens of swimming places in Finland throughout the winter, so you can take a dip whenever you feel like it.  Only in Finland!

---

People even have their private "swimming pools" at their summer cottages/saunas: http://virtuoosi.pkky.fi/...ista/kuvat/avannossa.jpg

Edit: I have myself been practising winter bath 12 years. Believe or not, it is very, very great hobby and you do not feel that bad to go in the cold water (a cold shower is much more uncomportabel) as you could imagine. I practise it 2-3 time every week.

The feeling afterwards is amazing. Endorphines....

The trip sounds exiting and wish I could afford the cost, but it would be either the trip or season tickets for next season.

Finnjavel, that sound waaaay cold!  My idea of a nice winter sauna is hot steam and that warm fuzzy feeling. wink.gif

Finnjavel, that sound waaaay cold!  My idea of a nice winter sauna is hot steam and that warm fuzzy feeling. wink.gif

Of course the warm sauna, too!
"Usually you start with a warm Sauna bath in a temperature about  210 degrees Fahrenheit (100 C). Then You plunge in the water (temperature about 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0-1 C) for just a couple of seconds.  Then go to the Sauna again for some minutes.  Then second plunge in icy water - now some more seconds - and to Sauna again"

It also is a social occasion, with women and men, GM's and workers combined, democratically undressed.

But I understand, that this sounds very crazy. I was VERY TERRIFIED at my first time. But the Cold is mainly between your ears. The weather is usually colder than the water....as I said, a cold shower is worse, I can't take it.

[quote name='Finnjavel wrote:

TSA']Finnjavel, that sound waaaay cold!  My idea of a nice winter sauna is hot steam and that warm fuzzy feeling.
wink.gif

Of course the warm sauna, too!

"Usually you start with a warm Sauna bath in a temperature about  210 degrees Fahrenheit (100 C). Then You plunge in the water (temperature about 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0-1 C) for just a couple of seconds.  Then go to the Sauna again for some minutes.  Then second plunge in icy water - now some more seconds - and to Sauna again"

It also is a social occasion, with women and men, GM's and workers combined, democratically undressed.

But I understand, that this sounds very crazy. I was VERY TERRIFIED at my first time. But the Cold is mainly between your ears. The weather is usually colder than the water....as I said, a cold shower is worse, I can't take it.

^ !WarninG!This is not for people who might have somekind of heart disease. But still it is still very much fun. The feeling after this is is just great^

Sauna is like a cathedral to us. A place where we repent our sins grin.gif. It is also a place where talk about politics , religion(sauna is a cathedral so if you bring in religious talk, its atmosphere will become soiled) , work , money and  all things that may cause somekind of conflict is strictly forbidden. Sauna, despite of the fact that you go there completely naked( you can have towel wrapped around you if youre shy) is not a place for any kind of sexual activities. So leave all dirty thoughts outside, when you enter the holy place.

I am anxiously awaiting the official package offering.. but whether I plan it through an agent or the team I plan on going.

You can keep the saunas tho.  I'll be there for hockey.

I've created an "open to the public" Facebook group titled "Canes in Finland - October 2010".

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=406546396037

Folks are welcome to join to get information or share in the discussion. If there are no objections I may pull in some of the Finland/Finnish culture references previously posted here which I've enjoyed very much!