The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jb_online

Canes vs Wild to open '10-11 in Helsinki - New Travel Package info added!

Eeek. Well that makes me feel a little better. Have been bummed that they picked the same year we were taking the summer and heading to Indonesia. Didn't think I could swing both in the same year, especially since I am burning up the last of my miles this summer. That price is high enough I probably wouldn't have done it anyway. A little high but not too bad, though (I was thinking the same as LetsGoCanes). Should be a great trip.

The base package price itself isn't too bad, even though it is several fewer days than I would've expected (figured it'd be a week at least) and a lot less activity than I would've thought given that it is a package, which I normally do not do when I travel. You'll still have to pay for nearly all meals, almost all transport (though that should be minimal), any sightseeing you wanted to do outside the city, souveniers, etc.

Making it that you have to pay separately for the tickets though and that they are so expensive makes it IMO overpriced for what it is, no matter how cool it would be to cheer them on in Finland. I'd estimated that if it was all inclusive we'd be looking at about 2,500/pp. When you factor everything else in, it'll be more like 3,500/pp. For two of us to go, we would pay more for those two games than the entire season at the RBC center and our seats are five rows off the glass. The per game price in the upper bowl is double what I paid to watch us hoist the cup from our seats.

To put it in perspective, I spent less than that for a MONTH going to Hong Kong and China and that included international and domestic airfare, overnight first class trains, good quality hotels, ground transport, meals, souveniers, and a five day cruise on the Yangtze to see the Three Gorges before completion of the dam ruined it.

Have fun guys and cheer loud for all of us staying home. I was looking forward to going, but this is not a Visa commercial. I love the 'Canes, but spending that much to cheer them on in Finland is not priceless.

L

thats a quite a large sum of money just for a few days trip. What comes of strange is that the tickets aren't included in the package but have to bought separately. 

PS: The Hotel booked on the package is the priciest of the all the hotels in Helsinki just saying grin.gif
Luckily i'm Finnish so i might have a chance to see 1 of the games happy.gif

I'am from Roma, i've got the tickets a week ago....i am waiting to find the flight and the hotel, i can't wait!

Wow, I think you're our first official member from Italy.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

LucaNauta']I'am from Roma, i've got the tickets a week ago....i am waiting to find the flight and the hotel, i can't wait!

There is always a first time! I am a 'Canes fan since the Whalers era.

[quote name='LucaNauta wrote:

TSA wrote:

LucaNauta']I'am from Roma, i've got the tickets a week ago....i am waiting to find the flight and the hotel, i can't wait!

There is always a first time! I am a 'Canes fan since the Whalers era.

Sounds like a good story for here:

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/forums/86

Man, too steep for me probably, unless I come across a boon of money by then. The VIP lunch sounds like it would be a blast! I hope there will be some special features with the team traveling and what not. roll.gif

Well, I going. Daughter going because hubby will be on a hunting trip that week. Crap. She'll have to make the trip somewhat "educational" and we'll have to figure out "goals and objectives". I think if we do the $$ exchange, recalculate miles/km, visit a museum or historic site, then we'll be good. Her school is fairly progressive, so shouldn't be a big deal.

We're probably just doing the land package. I have FF miles stacked up, and will see if Delta can get them there at least part of the way. Sending my paperwork tomorrow.

AAA rep stated there is limited air/land packages, but a lot more land packages. Guess they couldn't contract for more airline seats. Why they just didn't get a charter is beyond me. Isn't that what Detroit did??

Well, I going. Daughter going because hubby will be on a hunting trip that week. Crap. She'll have to make the trip somewhat "educational" and we'll have to figure out "goals and objectives". I think if we do the $$ exchange, recalculate miles/km, visit a museum or historic site, then we'll be good. Her school is fairly progressive, so shouldn't be a big deal.

We're probably just doing the land package. I have FF miles stacked up, and will see if Delta can get them there at least part of the way. Sending my paperwork tomorrow.

AAA rep stated there is limited air/land packages, but a lot more land packages. Guess they couldn't contract for more airline seats. Why they just didn't get a charter is beyond me. Isn't that what Detroit did??

This may help your situation included in the package: Half-day sightseeing tour of Helsinki

I'm officially in, reserved our package and completed the paperwork today. Two adults and an eight-year-old.
Is your eight year old male or female? My 12 year old will need a buddy. She was a younger buddy to 12 year old three years ago when we went to Rome with school/church choir, so this would be payback!

I'm really having trouble justifying the game ticket price. Did you go Upper or Lower level?

Well, I am officially bummed. I was hoping I'd be able to swing this, but there's just no way I am going to be able to come up with that much cash. sad.gif I hope y'all who are going will post here during/after the trip to tell us how it was!

I did a quick check on round trip airline pkg via Orbitz.

Prices range from around $900 to $1400 per person, depending on if you want a single stop over or multiple stop overs.

Doesn't sound too bad in price.

Man, I would really want to go to this!

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

Dreamie']I'm officially in, reserved our package and completed the paperwork today. Two adults and an eight-year-old.

Is your eight year old male or female? My 12 year old will need a buddy. She was a younger buddy to 12 year old three years ago when we went to Rome with school/church choir, so this would be payback!

I'm really having trouble justifying the ticket price. Did you go Upper or Lower level?

Boy, and he's usually rather well-liked by 12-year-old girls so that would be awesome for him to have a buddy there.

We went Lower Level.  The ticket prices are really high but I figured if I'm going all the way across the globe to watch a hockey game I might was well watch it from the good seats.

The base package price itself isn't too bad, even though it is several fewer days than I would've expected (figured it'd be a week at least) and a lot less activity than I would've thought given that it is a package, which I normally do not do when I travel. You'll still have to pay for nearly all meals, almost all transport (though that should be minimal), any sightseeing you wanted to do outside the city, souveniers, etc.

Making it that you have to pay separately for the tickets though and that they are so expensive makes it IMO overpriced for what it is, no matter how cool it would be to cheer them on in Finland. I'd estimated that if it was all inclusive we'd be looking at about 2,500/pp. When you factor everything else in, it'll be more like 3,500/pp. For two of us to go, we would pay more for those two games than the entire season at the RBC center and our seats are five rows off the glass. The per game price in the upper bowl is double what I paid to watch us hoist the cup from our seats.

To put it in perspective, I spent less than that for a MONTH going to Hong Kong and China and that included international and domestic airfare, overnight first class trains, good quality hotels, ground transport, meals, souveniers, and a five day cruise on the Yangtze to see the Three Gorges before completion of the dam ruined it.

Have fun guys and cheer loud for all of us staying home. I was looking forward to going, but this is not a Visa commercial. I love the 'Canes, but spending that much to cheer them on in Finland is not priceless.

L

I have to agree, after looking at this package I'm not pleased at all and would have expected more "touristy" stuff added to the deal. While I realize that Finland is an expensive country to visit, I also have spent a month each in China and Australia on previous trips for less than this package. While it would be nice to see the team open the season in Finland, my main goal for this trip would be to actually see the country and not just do hockey stuff. Other than the half day tour of Helsinki, this package just seems like an average away game trip... nothing exciting and not for me. And even with the half day tour... I'm sure you really won't see much at all!

Has anyone found out if you can just buy the game tickets from AAA and not the travel packages? I've left a message with them and haven't heard back.

I've been trending the airfare to Helsinki for the past couple of weeks, and currently flights out of RDU are around $975 and gradually rising and flights out of Charlotte are around $825 and steady.

[quote name='Dreamie wrote:

ivyleager wrote:

Dreamie']I'm officially in, reserved our package and completed the paperwork today. Two adults and an eight-year-old.

I'm really having trouble justifying the ticket price. Did you go Upper or Lower level?

Boy, and he's usually rather well-liked by 12-year-old girls so that would be awesome for him to have a buddy there.

We went Lower Level.  The ticket prices are really high but I figured if I'm going all the way across the globe to watch a hockey game I might was well watch it from the good seats.

Hey, Dreamie:

I'm still working out details w/ AAA, as they are doing some upgrades for us. How are you 3 swinging the room? Looks a bit tight for 3. Did you go for an additional room?

Also, are you also sometimes known by a 3-initial screen name on another board?

At their recommendation, AAA was actually able to work out some type of "triple occupancy" room for us at the hotel so I'm sure it won't be extravagant but serviceable.

And yes, that would be moi. My screen names on the various Canes boards are take-offs on each other, one of these days I should really synch them all up.

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

I'm really having trouble justifying the game ticket price. Did you go Upper or Lower level?

After futile attempts to get someone from AAA to return my email or call, I went to their office at lunch. Here's what I learned. They were swamped with hundreds of calls as soon as the package announcement went out yesterday and as of an hour ago quickly were sold out of the complete packages. However, they still had the land-only option available and are currently working with American Airlines to try and get more plane seats made available. I reserved two land-only packages, hoping to hear back (supposedly this afternoon) that AA tickets are available. They are also working with Luftwaffe for seats. Worst case is we'll have to get our own air fare, but if we can beat the package price, it may be a better deal.

After trying to contact someone at AAA several times this morning, I finally got a reply and  in order to get any game tickets you must order a package from them. As g105 mentioned, they did have land packages available, but I think I would rather set up my own trip and do more of what I want to do while over there.

Does anyone know what section the AAA tickets are in at Hartwall areena?

Sounds like they (AAA) really dropped the ball on estimating the interest for the trip.  I wonder why they didn't send out some sort of survey or ask people to respond via email when the trip was first announced.

I was seriously thinking about going but now I am not so sure.