The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jb_online

Canes vs Wild to open '10-11 in Helsinki - New Travel Package info added!

After trying to contact someone at AAA several times this morning, I finally got a reply and  in order to get any game tickets you must order a package from them. As g105 mentioned, they did have land packages available, but I think I would rather set up my own trip and do more of what I want to do while over there.

Does anyone know what section the AAA tickets are in at Hartwall areena?

All I've seen is upper bowl versus lower bowl.  There are others fans making the trip discussing details on this facebook page dedicated to the Canes heading to Finland.  Maybe you can get more specifics from some of them?

http://www.facebook.com/g...all&gid=406546396037

This whole thing has turned out to be a fiasco. I don't know why season ticket holders weren't given first dibs on this.

I have left messages and emails and neither have been returned.

This whole thing has turned into a fiasco. I don't know why season ticket holders weren't given first dibs on this.

I left messages and emails today and received no reply at all.

Not happy...

This wasn't offered to STH first, like they said they would? And then they still only had 50 seats? Sometimes I wonder if the suits have any clue about their fan base. And why the heck they went to AAA travel is beyond me, Columbus is going to Sweden and used a Cary company that specializes in this type of travel. Hope they get it straightened out.

Sounds like a real mess. I'll wait this out instead of jumping into chaos. A real shame since the organization does almost everything well. Multi-tier sets of offers with STH tie in would have made far more sense.

I am bored so I was looking around on for air fare to Helsinki.  It seems the best was is to fly AA from RDU to London's Gatwick airport and then from there into Helsinki.  The cheapest was about $1100 round trip.  All other flights fly from RDU to a either DC, Boston, or Chicago, make a connection in Europe and then on to Helsinki.  On the site they have hotel deals that bring the cost to $1600.  I would consider going but I do not deal well with long airplane flights.

Word of warning: cheapest fare is not always the best trip.  Some years ago I went on a trip to England.  Thought I found a deal.  The flight was on Air India out of JFK into Heathrow.  The plane was five hours late leaving and eight hours eight coming back.  This was way before 9/11 and their security was as tough as El Al.  Once we were screened we couldn't leave the area.  The waiting area had no place to buy anything to eat or drink.  The one good thing was the food was great.  Movies were terrible: all Bollywood.

If you are going to make your own  plans, try to fly Lufthansa: Excellent airline.  Even in coach they feed you on fine china

Sounds like they (AAA) really dropped the ball on estimating the interest for the trip.  I wonder why they didn't send out some sort of survey or ask people to respond via email when the trip was first announced.

I was seriously thinking about going but now I am not so sure.

It's my understanding that AAA was going by information given to them by Hurricanes.

The problem is that by the Carolina Hurricanes shifting this to AAA, AAA now becomes the Carolina Hurricanes and everything they do is representative of the Canes organization. Right now they are failing themselves and the organization on every level. You can't return phone calls or emails to people willing to turn over THOUSANDS of dollars? Unreprehensible! EVERY email/ phone call should have been returned before they left the office yesterday. No excuses.

I have yet to receive a return email or phone call from AAA regarding my inquiries.  Only by going to the AAA office yesterday at lunch was I able to lock in a land-only package.  Still waiting to hear if they have acquired additional seats from American Airlines or Lufthansa.  I'm surprised it took so long for someone to catch my Freudian slip about the airline.  smile.gif  So how long do I wait to hear back from AAA before I start making my own flight arrangements?

As for the SNAFU surrounding this deal, I'll place equal blame on both the Cane org and AAA.  The Canes should have done a better job of predicting fan interest before telling AAA to lock in only 50 seats.  Maybe a survey of STH's.  And as ivyleager said, I'm sure AAA is only working with the numbers given them by the Canes.  But to not return messages speaks poorly of their organization.

As for flight plans, I was told the full package includes a flight on AA from RDU to Heathrow, then on to Helsinki (don't know the airline).  AAA is (was) working with AA for additional seats for the same intnary.  They are also working with Lufthansa, who partners with United, for seats from RDU to Washington and on to Europe.  My wife works at RDU and tells me the UA flight to DC is very undependable, often late or canceled for mechanical reasons.  Id be leery of that flight if it involved a tight schedule making connections in DC.

As for flight plans, I was told the full package includes a flight on AA from RDU to Heathrow, then on to Helsinki (don't know the airline). 

Unless things have changed, AA flies from RDU into London's Gatwick airport.  An airport change in London would be a pain,  Unless I failed to see it, there were no plans that included a plane change at JFK.  avoid at all costs

Has anyone been able to find out if you can purchase just the game tickets?
The decision way made that in order to get game tickets, you'd have to at least purchase a land package. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it condition on purchasing season tickets.

Has anyone been able to find out if you can purchase just the game tickets?
I was told last night they have plenty of tickets to the games but you have to buy them for both of the games.  They didnt mention anything about tying them into the land packages but that doesn't mean I might not have heard correctly.

TSA, who is "they?"  Canes, AAA, or Hartwell Areena?

The Canes ticket reps.   I asked if they had any luck getting more air packages and they said they were working on it and were hopeful since the response was so good.

Thanks, TSA.  But now I wonder who's running this show, Canes or AAA.  Anyhow, Mrs. g105 and I a're booked for the land package (including tickets), so we'll be there.  First searches for tickets from RDU to Helsinki indicate we can beat the AAA price by a couple hundred $.  I'm already pumped.  Now to find my expired passport and get it renewed.

Thanks, TSA.  But now I wonder who's running this show, Canes or AAA.  Anyhow, Mrs. g105 and I a're booked for the land package (including tickets), so we'll be there.  First searches for tickets from RDU to Helsinki indicate we can beat the AAA price by a couple hundred $.  I'm already pumped.  Now to find my expired passport and get it renewed.

I know people that are going that also beat the air fare prices by just tweaking the dates a day or so.  We just did passports for the whole family and it took under 4 weeks through the Cary post office, but it was kind of pricey with the surcharge they add.  However anyone gets there, I'm sure it will be a great adventure. smile.gif

I have no idea who's running the show bewteen AAA and the Canes and I have a feeling they had no idea how big the response would be.

My bet is there's a lot of meetings and huddling going on between the Canes and AAA about this.  Damage control.  The Canes seem to have a history of underestimating fan support.  Earlier this month, the sale of 100 or so St. Patrick's Day autographed pucks went to the the first 35 or so people (three were allowed to each purchaser) and sold out in minutes.  The hundreds of fans waiting in line were turned away.  I know, my wife was one of the fans turned away.  Meanwhile, the lady sitting next to us was proudly showing off the three she bought.  One day they'll get it right.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

canetrainiac']Has anyone been able to find out if you can purchase just the game tickets?

I was told last night they have plenty of tickets to the games but you have to buy them for both of the games.  They didnt mention anything about tying them into the land packages but that doesn't mean I might not have heard correctly.

Then that is new.

My bet is there's a lot of meetings and huddling going on between the Canes and AAA about this.  Damage control.  The Canes seem to have a history of underestimating fan support.  Earlier this month, the sale of 100 or so St. Patrick's Day autographed pucks went to the the first 35 or so people (three were allowed to each purchaser) and sold out in minutes.  The hundreds of fans waiting in line were turned away.  I know, my wife was one of the fans turned away.  Meanwhile, the lady sitting next to us was proudly showing off the three she bought.  One day they'll get it right.

I hate to admit it but they do tend to throw things out there before thinking through all the possible outcomes.  They're getting better but still have a ways to go. 

[quote name='TSA wrote:

canetrainiac']Has anyone been able to find out if you can purchase just the game tickets?

Not sure who, but someone really dropped the ball on planning this trip... my guess is that it's the Canes front office. Needless to say, I'm not happy with the way it has been organized so far. I finally got a return call/email Saturday afternoon from AAA and acording to them, in both email and finally talking to them by phone, you have to buy at least the ground package to obtain tickets for the game. Also, they aren't sure what section the seats are in, just that it's lower level club seats and upper level. I'm not sure how many tickets they have left or if the team is going to buy more... as of Saturday neither game is sold out according to the Finland ticket site.

The team has had several weeks to prepare for this and I really think they could have done a better job organizing the travel portion of the trip, and as many have already stated, they severely underestimated the local fan support. 

Because of this huge fiasco, I went ahead and bought my own game tickets on lippu.fi