The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nhbeast

Matt Cullen traded to Ottawa for Alex Picard and a 2nd round pick

I sure hope you Canes fans appreciate Picard more than the Sens fans. Just another kid for the people in the big hockey cities to pick on I suppose. i was constantly a defender of AP and hope that you guys put him to good use. He's young and has a good future and yes made the odd mistake that cost a goal but still was part of a good D corps that has My Sens in a playoff position. I am intrigued by Matt Cullen, mostly because I wonder why Sens need another center though people tell me that Cullen is another on of those guys that can switch positions with ease. That, or maybe Murray is making another trade over the next couple of hours?? Rumours are Kelly may be on the move for a top 4 D for us.

Anyhoo... best of luck with Picard Cane fans. Nice doing biz with y'all yet again. Can we please have Corvo back now?? wink.gif

Picard sounds a bit like another Eaves type player to me:

"Picard has earned the trust of Senators coach Cory Clouston this season, even if he's earned the hatred of a large segment of Senators fans due to his inconsistent play on the season. (Note: That's a different Alex Picard photo'd.) But he's put up decent points in limited time this season, developed some chemistry with on-again, off-again partner Matt Carkner, and when he's good he's pretty good, but when he's bad he's awful." 

We are his fourth team since 2007 (Philadelphia, Tampa, Ottawa, Canes). Does that sound like a good asset to you?

My assumption was that we got Picard to offset salary for the Sens. If he does good for us we can resign him at the end of the season. If not, we dont have to.

Also, remember that Corvo came here and had done very well. He was hated in Ottawa. I, for one, hope Corvo stays. If he goes, then I want Babchuk back. We need to keep a blaster on the blueline.

Anyhoo... best of luck with Picard Cane fans. Nice doing biz with y'all yet again. Can we please have Corvo back now?? wink.gif

Sure, We will take your 1st round pick for Corvo!!! I'll call JR, You call Murry! Or at least your other 2nd rounder.pimp.gif

Awesome.  I'm thrilled.  Not to see Matt go but with the deal made for him by JR.  Up until last night I was expecting a 2nd for Cullen but after hearing FL got a second rounder for Moore, even though is in 2011 I thought that should drive the price up for Cullen.  Cullen > Dominic Moore.    I was hoping for at least another later round pick.  This tops my expectations.  Now if we can manage to get him resigned in the summer, I'll do cartwheels.

Interesting.....

A. Ward vs Picard

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/31632

...and all over a check on Pitkanen who didn't want to defend himself.

Picard sounds a bit like another Eaves type player to me:

"Picard has earned the trust of Senators coach Cory Clouston this season, even if he's earned the hatred of a large segment of Senators fans due to his inconsistent play on the season. (Note: That's a different Alex Picard photo'd.) But he's put up decent points in limited time this season, developed some chemistry with on-again, off-again partner Matt Carkner, and when he's good he's pretty good, but when he's bad he's awful." 

We are his fourth team since 2007 (Philadelphia, Tampa, Ottawa, Canes). Does that sound like a good asset to you?

My assumption was that we got Picard to offset salary for the Sens. If he does good for us we can resign him at the end of the season. If not, we dont have to.

Does it sound like a good asset to me?  Yes. 

If you haven't had the opportunity follow his performance - Eaves is doing pretty well for Detroit this year.  Seems he is a better fit there, he wasn't a good fit here and that's just the way it goes. 

JR has a very good history of finding players that can't find their groove on other teams yet perform well in our system:  see Samsonov & Jokinen.

I will reserve any judgment on Picard until seeing him play for us until the end of the season.  Let's give him a chance before we throw him under the bus. 

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

cane-addict-1']Picard sounds a bit like another Eaves type player to me:

Does it sound like a good asset to me?  Yes. 

If you haven't had the opportunity follow his performance - Eaves is doing pretty well for Detroit this year.  Seems he is a better fit there, he wasn't a good fit here and that's just the way it goes. 

JR has a very good history of finding players that can't find their groove on other teams yet perform well in our system:  see Samsonov & Jokinen.

I will reserve any judgment on Picard until seeing him play for us until the end of the season.  Let's give him a chance before we throw him under the bus. 

Completely agree. Regardless, this is still more than I thought we would get for Cullen, and I think Picard will work out very nicely for us. Good job as always, JR!

Oh brother, Chip just tweeted and reminded us all that we play Ottawa the first home game back after the Olympic break on 3/4.  That's going to be weird.  That will be our first home game after the trade deadline.  I wonder what our team will look like that night?  The good news is we at least get to say good-bye to Matt.  I expect there will be plenty of signs at the RBC Center.

Id like to take a chance on Cheechoo considering Carolina is the place to go to revive your career. Cheechoo was a great player in San Jose, has had a bad year in Ottawa, wouldn't mind taking the risk but with a 3 mil cap hit I doubt it happens.

As a hurricane fan ,i must say that i was a bit disapointed about the trade, i live 2 minutes walk from where the Ottawa Senators are  playing , so I have been to quite a lot of game and it is always on TV, picard has been an healthy scratch a lot this season, he is a turnover machine. he is at most a 6 or 7 defenseman. does the canes reaaly need that?  As for the second round, it will be a a late one, so hopefully the canes can get a descent player.

As a hurricane fan ,i must say that i was a bit disapointed about the trade, i live 2 minutes walk from where the Ottawa Senators are  playing , so I have been to quite a lot of game and it is always on TV, picard has been an healthy scratch a lot this season, he is a turnover machine. he is at most a 6 or 7 defenseman. does the canes reaaly need that?  As for the second round, it will be a a late one, so hopefully the canes can get a descent player.

He is still young and has a good one timer type of shot at the point.  He will be fine.  I hated to lose Cullen but knew he would be gone for the rest of the season after the trade deadline and I don't want to lose Whitney either, but I'm a realist.  Given the circumstances, I'm more than happy with getting Picard in the deal.

petawawa wrote:

Isn't that what people in Ottawa said about Corvo also? The fact that we got a 2nd rounder and young NHL player is astounding to me. I guess we can thank Montreal for over paying Florida for Moore

Matt is the only players number I have ever put on the back of a 'canes jersey, so it is obvious that I am sad to see him go.  Business is business, but I just hope to see him in a Hurricanes jersey again before his time in the NHL is over.  Great all around player, Ottawa should be thrilled.  Best of wish in the future Matt.

Like many here, I am both sad to see Matt go and happy that JR got a D-man with some upside along with a 2nd rounder. Good trade on our side, especially when you consider the possibility of re-signing Cullen in the offseason (for 2 years maybe).

This opens up 2 questions:

1. This has been raised on this thread already, but what happens tomorrow night on D? Who sits?

2. This hasn't been raised yet. Who plays center between Sammy and K-Stop? Do they move Jussi off the 1st line to play center or do they move Yelle or Roddy up? Yelle has been playing well lately, but I'm not sure he or Rod can handle the minutes. I'd hate to break up the Jokinen/Staal/Whitney line because it's been playing so well, but I don't see an alternative. Anyone else wanna take a stab at what the lines will look like tomorrow night?

Like many here, I am both sad to see Matt go and happy that JR got a D-man with some upside along with a 2nd rounder. Good trade on our side, especially when you consider the possibility of re-signing Cullen in the offseason (for 2 years maybe).

This opens up 2 questions:

1. This has been raised on this thread already, but what happens tomorrow night on D? Who sits?

2. This hasn't been raised yet. Who plays center between Sammy and K-Stop? Do they move Jussi off the 1st line to play center or do they move Yelle or Roddy up? Yelle has been playing well lately, but I'm not sure he or Rod can handle the minutes. I'd hate to break up the Jokinen/Staal/Whitney line because it's been playing so well, but I don't see an alternative. Anyone else wanna take a stab at what the lines will look like tomorrow night?

As far as the D goes, we won't know if Picard will clear immigration in time to play.  If he does, here is a goal of his against the Devils

As far as our lines go, I currently have no idea.

I think they'll call someone up from Albany to fill that forward slot. As for the situation on D, Picard has to go through the same immigration stuff Tlusty did when we picked him up. With that said, he might not be cleared to play for us anyways. If he is, someone will have to be scratched (I'd hope for A. Ward)