The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nhbeast

Matt Cullen traded to Ottawa for Alex Picard and a 2nd round pick

I really hope we end up seeing Cullen back in the offseason to go along with Sutter and Staal, but this had to happen. Picard gives us a young puck moving defenseman. If he fits great, if not we just don't have to resign him. It works out very well. It also gives us yet another 2nd round pick. I'm hoping that with Whitney traded we'll get a 1st rounder/2nd rounder or a top prospect/2nd rounder. I also think we'll see Corvo dealt for a 2nd rounder. I really like all 3 of these players, but we need youth and we need to restock our system.

Actually, Tlusty (a Czech) had a different situation than Picard (a Canadian). Should be a little easier for Picard.

They will call someone up, but who and where will they play? I'm guessing they will move up Rod or Yelle to play third line center for tomorrow, who knows what they will do after the break.

Who sits on D is a good question. Probably Ward or Carson. I'd lean toward Ward since I expect him to be moved.

DJ - Nic's spot was taken by Corvo coming back from IR.

Like many here, I am both sad to see Matt go and happy that JR got a D-man with some upside along with a 2nd rounder. Good trade on our side, especially when you consider the possibility of re-signing Cullen in the offseason (for 2 years maybe).

This opens up 2 questions:

1. This has been raised on this thread already, but what happens tomorrow night on D? Who sits?

2. This hasn't been raised yet. Who plays center between Sammy and K-Stop? Do they move Jussi off the 1st line to play center or do they move Yelle or Roddy up? Yelle has been playing well lately, but I'm not sure he or Rod can handle the minutes. I'd hate to break up the Jokinen/Staal/Whitney line because it's been playing so well, but I don't see an alternative. Anyone else wanna take a stab at what the lines will look like tomorrow night?

From Paul's TTS Blog:

Since Picard is a foreign citizen coming from a foreign country, it is unclear if he will be able to join the Hurricanes in time for Saturday’s game against New Jersey. Just as Jiri Tlusty did, Picard will have to go through the potentially-complicated immigration process.

That could prevent coach Paul Maurice from having to make a lineup decision, as Picard’s inclusion would make one of the Canes’ defensemen a healthy scratch. After Saturday there will be little rush, as the team will be off until March 2 due to the Olympic break.

Depending on what happens in the trade market, the team may never have to make such a decision. Although he stated belief that he was finished trading ahead of today’s deadline, Rutherford said that there has been significant interest in his other defensemen.

“When you look at our defense, other than the young guy in Carson, I get calls all the time about every one of them,” said Rutherford.

The trade does leave the Hurricanes one forward short for Saturday. Scott Walker, who has taken the last few practices full-contact, could be an option, although Maurice has said the team would have to be 100 percent sure. If the team decides not to go that route, a recall from Albany seems likely.

Wallin's spot isn't open any longer. They moved Nic because they didn't want to send Carson back to Albany.

Sounds like Picard might not clear immigration in time to play tomorrow, which means he wouldn't suit up until after the Olympics. And by then he could be taking either AWard's spot (think someone would take him if we threw in one of those 2nd rounders we have now?) or Corvo (last year of his contract).

Personally, I'd like to keep Corvo and re-sign him in the offseason. The fact that he was hurt a good portion of the year and his numbers are down might make him affordable for us to re-sign.

The center position is still iffy. I don't doubt that we'll see Boychuk or Samson or Tlusty called up, but none of them are centers. So does the Juice move down to play b/w Sammy and K-Stop or does Yelle slide up? I guess we'll have to wait and see when the lineups are announced tomorrow.

First of all, good move for JR. He got more than I thought he could for Cullen. I appreciate what Cullen has done for the team, but I have no attachment to him. Like most pro athletes, he went where the money was, played badly for a bad team at the time (Rangers) and was traded back. I'm not sayiing I blame him. But I'm not overly loyal to him. I feel worse for Wallin than I do for Cullen, even though Cullen is a more valuable player. Wallin didn't want to play for anyone but Carolina, Matt wanted to cash in.

That Peters-Picard fight reminded me of The Lowell-Norfolk brawl during the lockout year. (I know some of you guys were there) That's when I realized Rowe was a bad-a**. He was gonna fight Norfolk's coach, and one of Lowell's players punched the Norfolk coach in the face. One of the best bech-clearing brawls I've ever seen, and the only one I've seen in person. Cam Ward beat the piss out of Michael Leighton that night too. Leighton was antagonizing him, trying to goat Ward into a fight, so Ward beat him down. Maybe that's why Leighton was traded....haha.

Any word of Ottawa signing Cullen beyond this year? I didn't see any in my cursory glance. I for one would gladly take Cullen back after his rental period. If we get a player a second round pick and Cullen back for next year and more losses this year...shear genius.

Second round pick and a player is a good deal. Would have been better if it were a bubble team, but if JR can package those second rounders for a first rounder, could get interesting. 

I do wonder if this make a Corvo trade more likely.

Looks like a good trade on paper...have to see how picard shapes up....gotta be a third line defenseman. JR will definitely package two of those 2nd round picks into a 1st rounder.....maybe with columbus or nashville who will be tight on budget...I'm just wondering if those first round picks will start next year? If Corvo goes we need to get an offense-minded defenseman just like him. Carson isn't there yet and Picard is well.....unproven. So why not try and keep him? I'm sure it will be because of his high salary....oh well....I'm sure JR has it figured out. It will be interesting to see who wants to give Whitney a 3 year deal in a trade.  Can't see dropping the juice down a line especially when that line is clicking and Staal is clicking. Maybe Tilusti comes up and Sutter/Tilusti and Larose or somebody else and one of them moves to center?

First of all, good move for JR. He got more than I thought he could for Cullen. I appreciate what Cullen has done for the team, but I have no attachment to him. Like most pro athletes, he went where the money was, played badly for a bad team at the time (Rangers) and was traded back. I'm not sayiing I blame him. But I'm not overly loyal to him. I feel worse for Wallin than I do for Cullen, even though Cullen is a more valuable player. Wallin didn't want to play for anyone but Carolina, Matt wanted to cash in.

That Peters-Picard fight reminded me of The Lowell-Norfolk brawl during the lockout year. (I know some of you guys were there) That's when I realized Rowe was a bad-a**. He was gonna fight Norfolk's coach, and one of Lowell's players punched the Norfolk coach in the face. One of the best bech-clearing brawls I've ever seen, and the only one I've seen in person. Cam Ward beat the piss out of Michael Leighton that night too. Leighton was antagonizing him, trying to goat Ward into a fight, so Ward beat him down. Maybe that's why Leighton was traded....haha.

Don't feel bad for Wallin. He waived his NTC and is happy to go to San Jose and help them in their journey to the cup.

Sorry to see Cullen leave.  I would suspect with the addition of Picard, Corvo can pack his bags as well.  I don't belive Cullen will be back, not that I wouldn't welcome him.   Now we have 3 second round picks.  Good deal for both teams. 

Wow just saw this thread. Had no idea until now. Very sad to see Cullen go, definitely hope he comes back to his true home. Guess now we're really not making the playoffs, i.e. it's a definite thing to JR. A 2nd round pick is great, Picard is ok. Kind of would have liked to see us get a sure-fire young player in return, but whatever.

Go help the Sens make the playoffs, Matty.

EDIT: So glad I went to the Sabres game last night...one of the reasons I switched the Hawks tickets for an upcoming game was because of this reason, seeing players before they were traded. If I waited till March to switch tickets, then who knows what I'd be watching on the ice.

I really like Matt Cullen, and it sucks he was dealt, but I'm glad the ball is starting to roll. We're going to be a very exciting young and fast team for a good while after this year (If we refill from within for the most part). I'd take a young NHL ready defender in Picard and replace one of our Dmen with him easily. Corvo and Ward will strongly be rumored now. I can part with both and live with it, but if Corvo is dealt I hope we get a decent return. Surprised it he wasn't dealt to the Hawks. That would have been better IMO because I actually sorta like the Hawks. Not so much the Senators.

Matt was my very favorite player----so "business is business" not withstanding----

this STH is officially in mourning !  I have nothing to say.

GO CANES !!

Tough to see Matt go a second time, but I'm glad he's going to a hot team with a real chance to go deep. Best of luck to him! And JR has made it abundantly clear, both by past actions and today's words, that Cullen could very easily be back in Carolina on July One.

Matt was my very favorite player----so "business is business" not withstanding----

this STH is officially in mourning !  I have nothing to say.

GO CANES !!

I felt the same way the first time around with the rangers....frown.giffrown.gif

Tough to see Matt go a second time, but I'm glad he's going to a hot team with a real chance to go deep. Best of luck to him! And JR has made it abundantly clear, both by past actions and today's words, that Cullen could very easily be back in Carolina on July One.
Hope so! Or we could get "out priced" like when he signed with the Rangers !sad.gif

Hope so! Or we could get "out priced" like when he signed with the Rangers !sad.gif

would think he would of learned that location has meaning and that salary isn't everything

Well this sucks!(not picking up Picard but loosing Cully) I just pray he will resign with us next season. I wish him all the best in Ottawa but just for the remainder of this season, he just doesn't look right in anything other than a Canes sweater. Here's not to goodbye but see you next season, cheers

oh man...I thought Matt was one of the few consistent Canes this year no matter who he played with. But fi eh had to be traded, I am glad its to a team that will be in the playoffs. Canes got a pretty good return, but hopefully Cullen returns cause I think that is a huge void to fill going into next season.

Good luck in Ottawa Matt.

It is funny, but the first time Cullen left it was easier for me. He always came across as a good guy, but nothing special. But as time continued to pass, I grew to appreciate him more and more. I think he has been a major part of the way we have been playing - he brings it every night and is terrific on the PK. I really hope we are able to resign him in the off-season.

This is a great deal guys, Picard is not bad at all plus at the very least another 2nd rounder. Will someone on the d get moved now? Maybe he will replace A. Ward? The price for rentals has been very high so far this year, this is very good for us so far and Whitney is sure to fetch at least a 1st and a prospect. Things are looking good.

dont you dare mention trading away whitney like that.  not for all the marbles in the world . he is my favorite ,

the only way i would even consider trading whitney away is if we were getting ovie from the caps ,

so in other words , its just not going to happen .

as for cullen , i think allmost everybody saw this one happen.  now we just have to see what jimmy is going to do next .

Matt is the kind of hockey player every team needs... Constant hustle and always willing to take one for the team...

If I was still a ticket holder though I would want a refund for the remaining games if the ownership is surrendering the season.  I pay to see them win...

[quote name='Canesfanforever2006 wrote:

msgtcody']This is a great deal guys, Picard is not bad at all plus at the very least another 2nd rounder. Will someone on the d get moved now? Maybe he will replace A. Ward? The price for rentals has been very high so far this year, this is very good for us so far and Whitney is sure to fetch at least a 1st and a prospect. Things are looking good.

dont you dare mention trading away whitney like that.  not for all the marbles in the world . he is my favorite ,

the only way i would even consider trading whitney away is if we were getting ovie from the caps ,

so in other words , its just not going to happen .

as for cullen , i think allmost everybody saw this one happen.  now we just have to see what jimmy is going to do next .What Jimmy is going to do next is trade Whitney.  I hope you deal well with disappointment because it's going to happen.

J.R. will be fielding offers on most of the players and especially the UFA's.  Cullen and Whitney are the two UFA's that will bring the biggest return and Cullen is now a done deal. 

I just hope we don't have to go through what we went threw last time he left, trying to find that perfect guy to take Matt's spot only to realize nobody could fit in Matt's spot except for Matt himself, that's why I still think we should do everything we can to sign him come July 1 even with all the young talent we have.

Anybody have any news on if Picard cleared through immigration and all the crap and will be suited up tonight?

....Anybody have any news on if Picard cleared through immigration and all the crap and will be suited up tonight?
He's out, per Kaiton at STH Pre-game skate today.  Boychuk is in.  Walker played Boychuk's spot on line with Sutter and Ruutu in pre-game skate.

I like the trade and look forward to seeing Picard in March.