The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cane-addict-1

What to do with Peters next season

Although he has looked solid in two games, its hard to make assessment based on just that. If Cam stays out for year we will surely get enough of a look to know better in 6-7 weeks. As will Management. Barasso knows more than anyone about where he stands so I will be listening for his comments to see what should be done here. AS for me, he impresses me much more than Manny did after two games in a Canes sweater.

I think Manny's pick up deal was just for the remainder of the year. Can somebody verify that for me? Which will leave Peters the #2 guy next year if that is true.

He is an UFA after the year,  JR has to decide to keep him, deal him before the end of the year, or have Peters as Cam's backup.

Although he has looked solid in two games, its hard to make assessment based on just that. If Cam stays out for year we will surely get enough of a look to know better in 6-7 weeks. As will Management. Barasso knows more than anyone about where he stands so I will be listening for his comments to see what should be done here. AS for me, he impresses me much more than Manny did after two games in a Canes sweater.
Easy there big guy.  Legace has been winning in the NHL for YEARS, and Peters has looked good for a couple of games.......  Nothing against Peters but the Canes need to take a page out of the book of teams like the Wings and let their goaltenders get some seasoning in the AHL instead of rushing them into the big show and letting them get rusty or hang out to dry ala Leighton.

Well sure he has been winning for years but i was beginning to get the idea was to get younger quickly. I like the way manny has played but is not part of the core JR is working around. Peters to me looks great on distance shots but a little shaky on stuff up and in close. Wallin/Cullen have been proven commodities for years also but that is not what was asked. Personally I think Peters and Legace have looked sharper than Cam(injuries notwithstanding) and look how well Leighton has played in Philly given the chance. Seeing how vulnerable our goalies have been to injury i'm not so sure we shouldn;t keep them all, if that were possible somehow.

I guess I will put my 2 cents in . Manny has proved he can still stick in the NHL. Peters has a way to go yet. The real test will come after teams have had a chance to see him a few times and try to find his weakness. He appears to have the tools and talent to stick and if that proves to be the case I expect he will be Ward-O's backup next year. I also expect it will be a learning year for him and he should take advantage of the starts this year because he may not get that many next season. Legace will probable play out the season and then look for another team.  Of course everything hinges on Cam Ward's health.

My guess is Peters will start out in the minors again next year.

I'm happy for him and his two wins but I think we shouldn't ignore the fact that sofar Peters had the benefit of backing a pretty confident team, one that has come together of late defensively, on special teams and one that is hot enough offensively to give any goalie a big enough cushion.

Also, with consitent performers like Cullen gone, Whitney already packing his stuff for all we know and maybe another unexpected trade in the works, things are likely to change when games start getting more intense and playoff-like after the Olymic break. I thought he did ok in his first two games but to be honest, I didn't really see anything out of the ordinary that would lead me to believe that he has that special something in him yet to be a difference maker in games that really mean something. When the chips are down, we all know Cam certainly has it, Manny still does too I'm sure, but Peters as a full time NHL backup? Sorry, I don't see him as a proven commodity yet that I would stake a serious run for the playoffs on next season or getting out of the first round should we even make it that far.

I think the bottom line is that he is still young, has a two-way and an AHL record that tells me that getting (a lot) more experience as a regular starter in the AHL would be way more beneficial to him and the Canes in the long run.

My guess is Peters will start out in the minors again next year.

I'm happy for him and his two wins but I think we shouldn't ignore the fact that sofar Peters had the benefit of backing a pretty confident team, one that has come together of late defensively, on special teams and one that is hot enough offensively to give any goalie a big enough cushion.

Also, with consitent performers like Cullen gone, Whitney already packing his stuff for all we know and maybe another unexpected trade in the works, things are likely to change when games start getting more intense and playoff-like after the Olymic break. I thought he did ok in his first two games but to be honest, I didn't really see anything out of the ordinary that would lead me to believe that he has that special something in him yet to be a difference maker in games that really mean something. When the chips are down, we all know Cam certainly has it, Manny still does too I'm sure, but Peters as a full time NHL backup? Sorry, I don't see him as a proven commodity yet that I would stake a serious run for the playoffs on next season or getting out of the first round should we even make it that far.

I think the bottom line is that he is still young, has a two-way and an AHL record that tells me that getting (a lot) more experience as a regular starter in the AHL would be way more beneficial to him and the Canes in the long run.

I agree, thought the same thing about the other guys helping him, but I like how confident he played, and think he is a future star goalie.  Looking forward to seeing him.

Agree, Peters should be back in the AHL next year. I do see the Leighton story as well, and noone would want the same thing to happen with Peters. Cam is just that type of goalie to play a lot of games, as Mo is the coach to ride with his first goalie a lot as well.

In addition, I do think that a veteran Backup is always the best option, as this role is some kind of defined to be someone to rely on, to be solid and calm...that's stuff you'd expect of a veteran, but not of a young and inexperienced rookie.

I hope that Manny could be back for next season, as he seems to be a perfect fit.

I think right now what we are trying to do and accomplished was seeing do we have a future goaltender in our minors or do we need to keep looking. I think we found out Peters is worth investing time into to eventually challenge Cam. Seems like everyday some goalie whose reached the age of 28 gets a big head about themselves and stops producing, will Cam be that way? Unlikely. However it does seem to be quite the trend in the NHL to which you need a challenger to either go to or push your starter to get better results.

In the end Peters riding the pine next year doesn't make him any better, in fact obviously it makes goalies worse unless they're Manny's age and have that skill...not just trait but a skill to remain sharp at all times. 

I'd rather see like 2005/2006, having cam only play 50-55 games and 25-30 to peters.. ala cam and gerber in the Cup year. I really like Cam, but seems to have the nagging injuries AND lapses, that no matter if he wants to play all games, rather have some more rest during year- esp the 4th and 5time against tampa or florida.., and be ready for the playoffs and then ride him like a rented mule in playoffs, than do it all season, and have him wear down/get injured

The team has been playing great in front of Peters in his first two, so that he hasn't had to make any saves he shouldn't have to make.  

That's the difference between Cam and Legace/Peters.  Cam can bail out the defense going post to post or making glove saves on the forward who was left alone about 4 feet in front of the crease because Aaron Ward was off chasing a butterfly in the corner.

Playing the backup  more seems like a good idea, especially with Cam's newfound back problems.  It would help if the canes could just be solidly in the playoffs some year rather than this endless ordeal of trying to squeeze in with a 20-8 finish to the season like last year.  You want to rest your goalie, but they always seem to be in a position that every game is more or less a playoff game in importance starting in January.

Back to peters though, the kid is big.  And pretty mobile for his size.  There just isn't anything to shoot at when he is square to the shooter.  Hopefully we see a lot of him the rest of this year, and maybe he'll be the guy behind the Cam.  

Legace on the other hand looks a little too slow and he's only going to get older.  I wouldn't want to rely on him to play 25-30 games.

I too have been very pleased with the play of Peters in his first two starts.  But, I agree with others who have pointed out that he has benefited from playing behind a confident team.  To me, Peters has shown that he is back on track as a solid NHL prospect, but I feel like he'll be better served with another year in the AHL.  He's got the skill, but he still looks a bit shaky at times and needs some work on handling the puck. 
I would be happy to have Legace back for another year.  I really like his personality, as he seems like a genuinely nice fellow and good teammate.  I'm not sure why anyone would not be happy with his on-ice performance this season.  To me, he has been solid in most of the games he's played.  Sure, there have been a few off games, but every goaltender, no matter how good, has those.  The Canes have had a tough time finding a backup goalie that is able to accept the fact that he isn't a starter, but Legace seems a great fit.  If the money is right, I'd like him back for one more year.  Peters will be ready after another season.