The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Team Finland: following Ruutu and Pitkanen in the Olympics

Great game by Finland, the team I want to win gold.  Good puck movement on the power play (won't be as easy with Sweden).  Good game for our two Canes, Ruutu and Pitkanen.  I'll have to put on another pot of coffee for the Sunday game.  I'm looking forward to it.

This is the night of rivalries. USA-Can , Fin-Swe , Rus-Chz. Something to drool for. 24 pack of beer and good food is the way to go tonight. Hope i can make it until Finns play.

Miettinen out tonight, Jarkko Immonen in, so lines are:

Filppula - Koivu - Ruutu
Lehtinen - Koivu - Selänne
Hagman - Immonen - OJ
Peltonen - Kapanen - Ruutu

Pitkänen - Kukkonen
Timonen - Salo
Lydman - Lepistö
Niskala

Kipper (starting)
Bäckström

Ruutu has been hitting everything in Yellow... he deserved a better result from his teammates, though.  I haven't seen much of Joni, but I must admit that I've been a little distracted by things while watching, and mostly caught the opening 15 minutes and end of the 3rd.

The King gets his second consecutive shutout... the Swedes are looking pretty scary right now.  I hope we (the US) don't face them later.

Great game... From Swedes. Our intensity and the things that we pride ourselves on were lacking . It is getting painfully obvious that our defensemen just can´t cope when the opposing team put pressure on them , our Achilles heel is revealed. At first Kipper was shaky and gave juicy rebounds to Swedes.  After that he brought it up a notch and was decent. I just don´t understand why Jalonen keeps on playing that Kukkonen guy. This guy tangled himself around his own legs, and this leads to Swedes second goal. And our GREAT powerplay got a reality check in this game. 2 minutes powerplay, 5 on 3, no goal. We seemed slow, and really, Selänne, Koivu , Lehtinen seemed like the old men that they are. I think we were in somekind of panic mode in this game. Jalonen seems more and more dumb every passing minute for not choosing Jussi to this team. I think that given his hot streak lately in NHL on powerplay , at least he could have scored when we were playing 5 on 3. I think that we just couldn´t think outside the box. We stubbornly just played our system and banged our heads to strong defense of  TEAM Sweden. Instinctual reaction game was lacking altogether.

Now to Finns of Canes:

TUOMO:

FP:
Only player with Filppula that did anything for us. Really good energy player and gave some momentum shifting (though our team didn´t respond to them) hits.

SP: He tried to kill Tallinder with Huge hit. He gives his everything , but his teammates don´t seem to give sh**. Had good chance to score but loses the puck.

TP:  Again , like i said before , he seem to be the only Finn with Filppula who showed up tonight. Maybe clone him times 8 and Filppula times 4.

PITKÄNEN:

FP:
At first he seemed to be our best player out there... but keeps on staying in the ice too long , gets fatigued , out of position => takes a dumb penalty on which Swedes capitalize.

SP:  He is back to his old ways. This frustrates me . The talent is there for him to be an elite defenseman , but he is mentally weak. Momentum player ultimate. When our team is winning he is phenomenal , but when were in trouble he seems to be indifferent. Elbows swede to head. Game misconduct.

TP: Game misconduct.

Tuomo was very good tonight. Joni was not.

MY THREE STARS:

- TEAM
Sweden : They were dominating us in every aspect of game tonight . They are the team to beat in this tournament.

- Henrik Lundqvist : The King Of the rink. Shutout. He is good.

- Ruutu / Filppula : Only finns who showed up tonight. Kudos to them.

Next game against Latvia / Czech is going to be mindkiller . We have to play better. Alot better.

I will say that I would defend Pitkanen for elbows on a height differential, but I can't for this. He gets more than a dang it Joni.

I am hoping next game will be better. Does anyone know what happens in the Olympics if you get thrown out of a game? Honestly, if Pitkanen doesn't play next game, I wouldn't be surprised.

Per Chip:

Despite a 3-0 loss to Sweden on Sunday, Finland earned one of the byes into the Olympic tournament quarterfinals in Vancouver. But the Finns will play without defenseman Joni Pitkanen, according to The Associated Press.

The Canes' Pitkanen was ejected with a game-misconduct penalty late in the second period for checking Patric Hornqvist in the head. The AP reported that International Ice Hockey Federation spokesman Szymon Szemberg said Pitkanen had been suspended and would not play Wednesday in the quarterfinals.

"He's a key part on the power play and obviously on the breakouts he's such a good skater and mobile defenseman and sees the ice well," defenseman Sami Salo said. "Obviously it's a big loss but it opens up a spot for Janne Niskala."

The hit left Hornqvist crumpled along the boards. After getting up slowly, he needed help to get off the ice before walking slowly toward the dressing room.

Hornqvist had been penalized for tripping earlier, but Sweden's Niklas Kronwall had a vicious, open-ice hit on Niklas Hagman that did not result in a penalty despite leaving him with a bloody mouth

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/pitkanen-suspended-for-quarterfinals

I will say that I would defend Pitkanen for elbows on a height differential, but I can't for this. He gets more than a dang it Joni.

I am hoping next game will be better. Does anyone know what happens in the Olympics if you get thrown out of a game? Honestly, if Pitkanen doesn't play next game, I wouldn't be surprised.

Dang diddly dang it Joni. I think that was a dirty hit. But this is the way it usually goes when we play against Sweden. Our players panic , go into overdrive and do something like this.  

[quote name='v1atlantis wrote:

GhoulieGirl']I will say that I would defend Pitkanen for elbows on a height differential, but I can't for this. He gets more than a
dang it Joni

Dang diddly dang it Joni. I think that was a dirty hit. But this is the way it usually goes when we play against Sweden. Our players panic , go into overdrive and do something like this.  

LOL. Yup, that's about it.  Frustration kicks in and these things happen.  I know they wanted to win this game and I really wanted them to win too.  Joni should have used more restraint and not lead with that elbow.  I agree, dirty hit.  I guess he played his last game for the Olympics.  Hard lesson for him to learn.

Joni doesn't deserve to see my Finnished Car now. roll.gif I finally got the stripes put on MINI to represent the Finland flag.  It looks awesome.  Now to get pics of it.  LOL

[quote name='GhoulieGirl wrote:

v1atlantis wrote:

GhoulieGirl']I will say that I would defend Pitkanen for elbows on a height differential, but I can't for this. He gets more than a
dang it Joni

LOL. Yup, that's about it.  Frustration kicks in and these things happen.  I know they wanted to win this game and I really wanted them to win too.  Joni should have used more restraint and not lead with that elbow.  I agree, dirty hit.  I guess he played his last game for the Olympics.  Hard lesson for him to learn.

Joni doesn't deserve to see my Finnished Car now. roll.gif I finally got the stripes put on MINI to represent the Finland flag.  It looks awesome.  Now to get pics of it.  LOL

Is it like this? 

LammiRalliTiedotesivu.jpg

Or this?

mini-cooper-cabrio.jpg

More like the second one except it's a hard top. The car color is Oxygen Blue, and the Finnish flag stripes are Olympic Blue. The mirrors and roof are white, so there wasn't much to do, but to just add the two stripes. Flow MINI of Raleigh was supposed to add my car to their Facebook page. Everyone was taking pictures of it on Friday when it got done. I have pics of it on my phone, but didn't take the camera to it. smile.gif

It looks really sharp.

Damn those Swedes. Now they blame us that we lost intentionally to them so we have more easy way to final. They´re suspecting us even when we lose to them! And i don´t know which one of these six possible teams are the easy ones: Czech/Latvia/Usa that we´re now facing, or Slovaks/Canada/Russkies. Peter Forsberg said on interview that Finland was suspiciously bad , and that our players were very cunning to lose last nights game in such way to them. Or maybe he was just rubbing it to our faces. I don´t know. Curse them. We should bomb their icehalls and hockey arenas to ruins.

karu_pohjola_KP.jpg

Scandinavia without Sweden looks GOOD!

Damn those Swedes. Now they blame us that we lost intentionally to them so we have more easy way to final. They´re suspecting us even when we lose to them! And i don´t know which one of these six possible teams are the easy ones: Czech/Latvia/Usa that we´re now facing, or Slovaks/Canada/Russkies. Peter Forsberg said on interview that Finland was suspiciously bad , and that our players were very cunning to lose last nights game in such way to them. Or maybe he was just rubbing it to our faces. I don´t know. Curse them. We should bomb their icehalls and hockey arenas to ruins.

karu_pohjola_KP.jpg

Scandinavia without Sweden looks GOOD!

I agree...that looks very good! 

Ok so according to Jonny sideburns on his twitter account http://twitter.com/johhnyf , Joni had a questionable hit on Hornqvist and will face suspension. I know the game came on late but did anyone see the hit? and if he is suspended, I for one am kinda happy because that means that's a 100% chance that Joni will not get hurt and will return to Carolina healthy, obviously we have 3 other guys to worry about but 1 less is better, anybody have any news on this?

Ok so according to Jonny sideburns on his twitter account http://twitter.com/johhnyf , Joni had a questionable hit on Hornqvist and will face suspension. I know the game came on late but did anyone see the hit? and if he is suspended, I for one am kinda happy because that means that's a 100% chance that Joni will not get hurt and will return to Carolina healthy, obviously we have 3 other guys to worry about but 1 less is better, anybody have any news on this?

I haven't seen it either but from everything I've read and heard today, most agree it was a bad hit and the International rules have no tolerance with these types of hits.  It would be nice if the NHL powers-that-be adopted a no tolerance policy of their own. rolleyes.gif

I saw it last night & it wasn't good.  Pitkanen was coming in as Hornqvist was skating from the boards.  Elbow to the head behind the net, height difference didn't help and neither did the fact that Hornqvist was slightly leaned forward but Pitkanen lead with a high elbow.   The hit deserved the game misconduct as well as a suspension in the Olympics and in the NHL.

http://www.nbcolympics.co...tch=IHM400C06/index.html

Sorry I have problems with links sometimes with my browser, so if it doesn't work, the above link is the game recap from nbcolympics.com. From that page you can click the "Full Replay" and actually see a full replay of the game from the NBC broadcast.

I haven't watched the replay but I watched it live last night. The hit occurs with about a minute left to play in the second period. Plain and simple, Joni elbowed Hornqvist in the head. It was a bad hit and the suspension wasn't questionable IMO. Leaves Finland in a really bad position going into Wednesday night's game without him. As others have reported, Tuomo was one of few bright spots in this game, he played well and was all over the ice with intensity and hit every player in sight in a yellow jersey. He did us proud and got a LOT of attention and praise from the announcing crew.

[quote name='v1atlantis wrote:

dang it Joni

agreed!  it was a dirty hit - shockingly.  Woooo Hoooo for Ruutu  - he was awesome, as usual!wink.gif

Our lines will be the same in next game that they were in game against Sweden. Minus Joni. Our first defensive pairing now look brutal.

Niskala - Kukkonen. Good lord.  I really hope we can somehow win this one.