The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Team Finland: following Ruutu and Pitkanen in the Olympics

Joni was a bad, bad boy. I would think that if we win this game, Joni would be able to play in the next one wouldn't he? He was suspended for the quarterfinals.

I do agree with the suspension though. right call by everyone involved.

^^ Are you folks in Finland hearing any press regarding Joni's suspension? Has he spoken to the media at all? Has Tuomo been interviewed by the media there? We're not getting a lot of coverage here on our Finns so just curious.

^ Yes, it's a one-game suspension so he's eligible to play in the next game.

Over at bleacherreport.com, looks like they've included Joni in their "Olympic Hockey: The Ten Most Disappointing Players Thus Far" :

56601793.jpg.25672_display_image.jpg?1266962782

Through three games played, Finland’s Joni Pitkanen has amassed a total of 27 penalty minutes; tops in the tournament. That’s an average of nine minutes per game, which clearly is far too many, especially at the Olympics.

Pitkänen did apologize that hit to Hörnqvist. Hörnqvist said  it´s ok , and that it was his fault also, because he was not keeping his head up. So... everythings just shiny in scandinavia again. Here ´s a link for you finngeekwink.gif http://www.iltalehti.fi/kisaextra/2010022411186462_ki.shtml . And no , Tuomo has not been interviewed by finnish media . They always interview Selänne or S.Koivu. That seems little weird to me because mr.Ruutu has been our best player so far.

Pitkänen did apologize that hit to Hörnqvist. Hörnqvist said  it´s ok , and that it was his fault also, because he was not keeping his head up. So... everythings just shiny in scandinavia again. Here ´s a link for you finngeekwink.gif http://www.iltalehti.fi/kisaextra/2010022411186462_ki.shtml . And no , Tuomo has not been interviewed by finnish media . They always interview Selänne or S.Koivu. That seems little weird to me because mr.Ruutu has been our best player so far.

I'm glad that Joni did apologize.  At least he realizes what he did was wrong.  I just hope we win today!  Go Finns!!!  

Thanks for the information and for posting the link.  I think it's important to know that Joni apologized directly, means a lot to me personally that he did, anyway.  Hope the local media picks up on it.  Eventually.  Please do keep us posted if you see any other reports regarding our Finns!

Where's Jussi? kind of like...Where's Waldo. Where's Jussi. The Finns really ought to be ashamed for not selecting the man. I'm still rootin' for them. Part of me surmises that Joni wasn't too happy about the non-selection, since he and Jussi were childhood cronies, and that perhaps many of his penalties are a statement of sorts. I don't know. Jussi should be there, I do know that.

Any updates on Staalsy after that run into the boards with his face?

What a glorious way to start a day! We win! Obviously Czechs were tired from their game against Latvia, but that doesn´t take anything away from us.
A good, solid team effort. Those line changes brought that much needed chemistry that we were lacking against Swedes. Kipper was great, Niskala was great, Tuomo did what he does best... I almost jumped through the roof when we scored the winner. It ´s sometimes frustrating to be a fan of  team Finland, but this kind of performance gives you a reason to be proud of our national team.

Yeah, and Swedes lose to slovakia. I just can´t stop smiling. And when a Finn cannot stop smiling the world must be upside down. And now it is. We did better than Swedes.

TUOMO:

FP:  Hits like hell on powerplay, and this way help our team to keep the pressure in the Czech end of the rink. Good energy again, and without him this team would be like a bunch of sheep.

SP:  Has a decent effort in trying to kill Kaberle. Good hustle going on. If he and Jarkko were not in this team, i think we wouldn´t stand a chance against these teams (the big ones) 

TP: My observational instincts are crumbling under pressure and i can´t understand anything. I guess he was playing well. After second goal i noticed that he was on the ice during both of our goals.

Tuomo was 0 + 0 in this one , but what he did in this game was almost as important as scoring . He is the heart and soul of this team.

MY THREE STARS IF ANYONE`S INTERESTED:
- Miikka Kiprusoff : Showed us why he is the bonafide no.1 goalie of this team. Some incredible saves.
- Niko Kapanen : The hockey professor. He´s so good in every aspect of game that it´s almost ridiculous. Very underrated. If he was bigger and stronger he would dominate the NHL, instead of playing in KHL.
- Tuomo Ruutu : Nuff said about him

Where's Jussi? kind of like...Where's Waldo. Where's Jussi. The Finns really ought to be ashamed for not selecting the man. I'm still rootin' for them. Part of me surmises that Joni wasn't too happy about the non-selection, since he and Jussi were childhood cronies, and that perhaps many of his penalties are a statement of sorts. I don't know. Jussi should be there, I do know that.

Any updates on Staalsy after that run into the boards with his face?

I think so too. It seems that in NHL those two have somekind of telepathic connection. In team Finland Joni is desperately seeking someone to pass those long opening passes to. But not that many breakaways have come from those passes...yet.

I'm so happy we won last night. Now looking forward to the next game. Go Team Finland!
Looking forward to that too. I promise to keep my celebrations very subtle if we manage to win this.

[quote name='v1atlantis wrote:

GhoulieGirl']I'm so happy we won last night. Now looking forward to the next game. Go Team Finland!

Looking forward to that too. I promise to keep my celebrations very subtle if we manage to win this.

The lines have been drawn between friends here.  Most of my friends are for USA, while I am pulling for Team Finland.  

Finland stands little chance against the United States if they keep stoning themselves on scoring chances. The team looks lost on special teams and quite frankly not organized enough to beat Miller and the cohesiveness of the U.S.

Should be a good game though.

Finland stands little chance against the United States if they keep stoning themselves on scoring chances. The team looks lost on special teams and quite frankly not organized enough to beat Miller and the cohesiveness of the U.S.

Maybe Joni's return will respark the power play.  I can't understand how it started out so well in olympic play but became anemic.

If it gets back on the track, team Finland has a good chance.

I'm glad the Finns have advanced, including our Finns.  I am not an honorary Canadien, or an honorary Finn, I'm a United Statesian....and my loyalties are there.  That being said....should the Finns manage to beat the USA, I will be solidly cheering for them to win the gold.  My favorite player is a Finn, and my second favorite player is a United Statesian...both defensemen.  Go USA!!!

[quote name='hockeytime-ch1 wrote:

fallen_apostle']Finland stands little chance against the United States if they keep stoning themselves on scoring chances. The team looks lost on special teams and quite frankly not organized enough to beat Miller and the cohesiveness of the U.S.

Maybe Joni's return will respark the power play.  I can't understand how it started out so well in olympic play but became anemic.

If it gets back on the track, team Finland has a good chance.

Belarus and Germany are not that good teams. That explains a lot . We have always been in trouble against Sweden , and i think  against Czechs the importance of the game made our players nervous. Any win from now on is a big + for this team. We weren´t really considered as contenders before the tourney. But look where we´re at again. In medal rounds in olympics.  

Joni in , Kukkonen benched (at last) , he could´ve been in trouble against fast Americans . Smart move from Jalonen.  

Lines:

Flip - Koivu - Rudi

Leht - Koivu -Sepe

Hags - Kapanen - Mietsi

Ville - Simpson - Ruutu

Timonen - Glassman

Lydman - Joni

Niskala - Lepistö

Kipper

Bäckström

[quote name='GhoulieGirl wrote:

v1atlantis wrote:

GhoulieGirl']I'm so happy we won last night. Now looking forward to the next game. Go Team Finland!

The lines have been drawn between friends here.  Most of my friends are for USA, while I am pulling for Team Finland.  

Well , don´t fall into pits of despair and melancholy if we don´t win tonight. I´m sure your friends don´t forget to rub it in your face, if we lose.

[quote name='GhoulieGirl wrote:

v1atlantis wrote:

Well , don´t fall into pits of despair and melancholy if we don´t win. Your friends won´t  probably forget to rub it in your face  if we lose the game tonight , right?