The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Team Finland: following Ruutu and Pitkanen in the Olympics

And NBC just pissed me off again. They didn't show the Finn medal ceremony, cut to the commentators. What crap.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one pissed off about that.  I kept trying to find Joni or Ruutu, but they kept cutting away, and then ended their coverage. eyes.gif

More tweets about Ruutu from Chris Kuc, a hockey write for the Chicago Tribune:

Former Blackhawk Tuomo Ruutu on winning bronze medal: "It's really great to come away from these Olympics with a medal. We're really happy."

another from Puck Daddy on his brother:

Jarkko Ruutu had team sign jersey in locker room. His tradition.

An extra plus for the brothers winning Bronze together.

Victory!!! Thank you team Finland For showing that SISU. I was ready to give up when Slovakia made it 3 - 1 . Hockey is obviously a game in which you have to keep trying til the end . This was our third medal from those olympic tournaments that has had NHL players playing. . And this coming from a nation of 5,3 million people . I´m really proud of this team. Bronze is a medal which you win .

In the first period it looked like Slovakia really was exhausted from Canada game , and that we´ll cruise to easy victory .1 - 0.

In the second it looked like USA game all over again . Slovakia 1 - 3.

The third period included a good showcase of Finnish SISU( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu) Finland 5 - 3.

Fun fact: Team Finland goal differential in the third period through six games of this tournament was 11 - 0 favoring Finland

Ruutu in the game

Solid effort yet again. Was on the ice when Slovaks made it 3 - 1 shorthanded . Really did everything he could in that situation , but he´s no defenseman.

Ruutu in the tournament

I was expecting a bit more points from him. Effort and energy were spectacular. He s a warrior.   6gp  1g 0a     -1    2mins.

Joni in the game

After a very frustrating start , gives that great pass to Jokinen who scores the game winner. In the end of the game takes a bad penalty . Fortunately Slovaks don´t capitalize.

Joni in the tournament

Bit of a rollercoaster ride. Flashes of brilliance. Stupid penalties. That pass to Jokinen salvages much of his tournament .   5gp  1g  2a  -3   29 mins  

Team Finland MVP of the tournament (imo)

Valtteri Filppula : The most reliable player for Finland. Olympic and national team rookie showed us why they love him in Detroit. Defensively sound. Brilliant passing skills. Datsyuk lite. Needs to shoot more.        6gp   3 + 0    +1    0 mins.

Pitkänen http://www.iltalehti.fi/kisaextra/2010022811215546_ki.shtml saying " This is great achievement . I don´t really understand this yet. Looking at the rosters of other teams that we left behind , you just go WOW!"

Some pics from the game http://www.iltalehti.fi/kisaextra/201002280074738_ki.shtml

I don´t know if this link works for you guys but here you should find the medal ceremony

http://yle.fi/urheilu/suurtapahtumat/vancouver_2010/lajit/jaakiekko/2010/02/leijonien_taistelu_huipentui_komeaan_pronssiin_1490832.html

Just click where it says " Katso leijonien palkintojenjako "

http://www.iltalehti.fi/kisaextra/2010022811215959_ki.shtml  Here Tuomo is saying he knows how to celebrate the bronze.

Thanks for all the links and info from Finland and congrats on the bronze medal.   Nice rebound game by the Finn's and great comeback too smile.gif

Joni is a rollercoaster ride, and I'm glad that coaster is in NC. He'll mature and refine. He is a great player who has some uncanny vision and understanding of the other team's defensive strategies. That pass to Jokinen was SICK. He must have a thing for Jokinens. I wish ours was there for Finland, wonder if the outcome might have been a little more positive for the Finns.

Here's another good site (Finnish newspaper) for photos:

http://www.ksml.fi/video-...7061981_jpg_129449a1.jpg

v1atlantis, when I try to launch the video of the medal ceremony, I get this message (forgive any mis-spellings and lack of umlauts but I can't copy/paste, typing out the message):

"Tekijanoikeudellisista syista videon katsominen ei ole mahdollista Suomen ulkopuolella"

Does that message say the video is prohibited outside of Finland? Or is it a technical/browser issue? I've tried different browsers and can't get it to work, and I've had this issue several times while trying to launch video from Finnish web sites. Any help with translation is appreciated!

Very nice; all four guys will be coming home with a medal. It wasn't looking good when they fell behind, but they came back strong. Nice that they'll be bringing back a complete set. :-) I'm sure the papers will get all four of our players together on return to do a nice story and group picture.

I was surprised though that they did the medals immediately. From what I recall in the past, they usually wait till after the gold medal game and then bring out the giant podium for everyone to go out together. 

Getting ready for the big one at 3:00 p.m.

Given the level of play in these past two weeks and the number of fans watching despite being relegated to the channels that usually feature uninterrupted coverage of cross country skiing and curling, Bettman will be a fool to not let the NHL participate in 2014.

L

"due to copyright issues viewing this video blah blah" So sorry. It seems it´s prohibited to view it outside of Finland. Damn. I try to find it , if i can, from somewhere else.

^ v1atlantis, post the medal ceremony to youtube for us!  (thanks for the translation, I thought that was the issue)

^^ caneswincup, they have the bronze ceremony immediately after the game so the players can leave today to come back to their teams, since the NHL has already started their practices again.

^ v1atlantis, post the medal ceremony to youtube for us!  (thanks for the translation, I thought that was the issue)

^^ caneswincup, they have the bronze ceremony immediately after the game so the players can leave today to come back to their teams, since the NHL has already started their practices again.

Ok , but it will take some time , so be patient. My holiday ends today . Not so much time for computer stuff.

Joni and Tuumo gave a very good account of themselves, except that one play that Joni had, which he apologized for. That was so unlike him.

I watched last night's game, the one scary moment was when Tuumo got a stick in the throat area. He played hard every game and that pass Joni fed to Olli, that was just plain SICK.

Of course, we are used to that here in Canesland.

These guys have nothing to hang their heads about, they are returning to Raleigh with Bronze around their necks.

[quote name='v1atlantis wrote:

Dreamie']^ v1atlantis,
post the medal ceremony to youtube for us!
 (thanks for the translation, I thought that was the issue)

Ok , but it will take some time , so be patient. My holiday ends today . Not so much time for computer stuff.

Thanks for all the links and the pics!

Sadly, no, not that I saw anyway, and I had the whole afternoon recorded on DVR.

I was kind of joking about youtube, but if you can publish it, I will gladly provide you with many adult beverages of your choice when I come to Helsinki!

Sadly, no, not that I saw anyway, and I had the whole afternoon recorded on DVR.

I was kind of joking about youtube, but if you can publish it, I will gladly provide you with many adult beverages of your choice when I come to Helsinki!

Here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYJoqpEvD4w . There´s not all of it , but this was the best i could do. For your luck i´m  not a heavy drinkerwink.gif. None of us Finns really are. grin.gif