The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Team USA: following Tim Gleason in the Olympics

You can bet guys and girls, that after these olympics, the entire country is going to know who Tim Gleason is. He is someone who plays hard on every play. Something we Caniacs already know, now the rest of the World is going to find out.

GO USA.

Good Luck Tim.

Hey, Not a bad game to start...but if we play like this against Canada we are going to lose!

They need to pull it together. Loved the follow up, I like it when the announcers get into it with each other. 

Go Tim, Go!  I hope he gets a goal...that would be sweet!

Yeah he did a good job and was getting some love from the broadcasters, but he got caught out of position a couple times too, but so did everyone else on the D end. ME TOO Would love to see him score. His physicality will be more noticeable as the competition stiffens.

USA is gonna need to play better but it was just the first game, they easily could have lost tat one but thankfully didnt.  Gleson started out kinda slow but had a good third.  His minutes really picked up too.  How about thet Jack Johnson, he played good game and may have been the best dman out there.  Would I love to see Bobby Ryan wearing red, he's just plain fun to watch.  Not sure who I blame for Switzerland's 1 goal but Miller looked he could have had it, he was square and rught there ready for it but went to poke check the puck instead of just stopping the play.  Gleason got beat on that play but I wouldn't pin the goal on him.  Lots of good lessons for the next game on Thurs.

has anyone else noticed the hostility torwards team USA,both in the Mens and Womens games,by the Canadian fans,they cheer everytime our opponents gain possesion of the puck,especially in our zone,and also every time the opposing goalie makes a save(wich is not alot on the womens side),the announcers play it down ,"People Just Like To Root For the Underdog", yeah right, I belive its an ABA(Anybody But America) attitude

and its not just in Hockey,the other day when Hannah Kearney won the gold in the womens moguls,and flew the US flag,you could here some jeers coming from the audiance

so my question is,why do canadians hate us so much ?

has anyone else noticed the hostility torwards team USA,both in the Mens and Womens games,by the Canadian fans,they cheer everytime our opponents gain possesion of the puck,especially in our zone,and also every time the opposing goalie makes a save(wich is not alot on the womens side),the announcers play it down ,"People Just Like To Root For the Underdog", yeah right, I belive its an ABA(Anybody But America) attitude

and its not just in Hockey,the other day when Hannah Kearney won the gold in the womens moguls,and flew the US flag,you could here some jeers coming from the audiance

They don't.. IMO just more a "rival" thing and USA is  the "big bad country", and Canada the underdog, so naturally some will take it to the next Level- i don't read much into that

Watching universal HD just now, and had a good piece,on the guy that takes care of all the Hockey jersey's for the tourney and how the design and fix the jersey's, really Cool piece.

Also showed a "special" 1960 USA 'throwback" jersey(celebrating squaw valley) we will be wearing one time during the tourney( didn't say what game), which was a much better looking jersey,IMO than the reg one.

51aLpCIZ4cL._SS500_.jpg

Does anybody wonder if our guys our hanging out together in the village or the ice? What's it going to be like when/if they play against each other? Will be interesting to watch...Can't wait to see if Timmy will lay one on his Captain....

Does anybody wonder if our guys our hanging out together in the village or the ice? What's it going to be like when/if they play against each other? Will be interesting to watch...Can't wait to see if Timmy will lay one on his Captain....

I have always wondered that about NHL players playing in Olympic Hockey,and how much there patriotism and will to win for there country, outweighs there friendships with there NHL teammates that they travel and battle with year in and year out

in any case,I am sure Timmy will give Staal a good shot if he gets the chance,no matter what, it will be interesting the first time Staal tries to enter the USA zone while Gleason is out there

[quote name='Carolinafan85 wrote:

pkling']Does anybody wonder if our guys our hanging out together in the village or the ice? What's it going to be like when/if they play against each other? Will be interesting to watch...Can't wait to see if Timmy will lay one on his Captain....

I have always wondered that about NHL players playing in Olympic Hockey,and how much there patriotism and will to win for there country, outweighs there friendships with there NHL teammates that they travel and battle with year in and year out

in any case,I am sure Timmy will give Staal a good shot if he gets the chance,no matter what, it will be interesting the first time Staal tries to enter the USA zone while Gleason is out there

As long as it's not hard a hit. We don't want our captain injuredeek.gif

I am British, and live in the US. I think the reason that some countries "root" against the USA, is because the broadcasting for sporting events are SO biased. All you hear is "American going for gold" America can win a gold". They have lost sight on what the word "participating" means. When someone wins a silver medal, it's almost looked on as a failure!!!!!

[quote name='canes-in-7 wrote:

Carolinafan85']has anyone else noticed the hostility torwards team USA,both in the Mens and Womens games,by the Canadian fans,they cheer everytime our opponents gain possesion of the puck,especially in our zone,and also every time the opposing goalie makes a save(wich is not alot on the womens side),the announcers play it down ,"People Just Like To Root For the Underdog", yeah right, I belive its an ABA(Anybody But America) attitude

They don't.. IMO just more a "rival" thing and USA is  the "big bad country", and Canada the underdog, so naturally some will take it to the next Level- i don't read much into that.

I don't know, I don't buy the underdog bit. Look at the Olympics politically, the USA sports teams have been toughly booed and disdained since 2004 in Athens (a few years after a certain minor event occurred in Iraq.) It never made much sense to me to boo athletes though for doing what they do. I doubt that the announcers have much to play in it either, its annoying but I don't think it is the root cause.

Specifically in hockey, Canadians are very threatened however about the prospect of USA beating Canada (see the world junior tournament), they could win the gold, but if they lost to USA in hockey it would be the end of it all.. interesting bit of security issues.

Several reasons really, but they all spawned from one: they see hockey as THEIR sport, like America is associated with baseball (but we don't hate Japan or South American countries for loving our game, but whatever).  It's a game they invented and are the dominating force in... and America keeps getting closer and closer to taking their game from them, in many areas.  The NHL is already mostly American, based on fanbase and obviously locations.

How many Canadian teams have won the Cup in the last 20 years (3, last one was 1992-1993), compaired to American teams (17).  Can you imagine a Canadian team winning the Super Bowl 17 out of 20 seasons?  They're mad about that.

It's like a little nerdy guy with a cute girlfriend, who leaves the nerdy guy for the hero-QB.  We are (Americans) the QB.  We drink their milkshake. We drink it up.  And it tastes gooooood.  They're mad about that.

Well, American teams are mostly made up of Canadian players - one might say.  Well, I didn't say their reasoning was a rational one.  Robin Williams said it best when he said that Canada is like the neighbor on the next floor up, and America is the party that keeps them up all night.

Jealousy is a red maple leaf. 

[quote name='jb_online wrote:

Carolinafan85']so my question is,why do canadians hate us so much ?

Several reasons really, but they all spawned from one: they see hockey as THEIR sport, like America is associated with baseball (but we don't hate Japan or South American countries for loving our game, but whatever).  It's a game they invented and are the dominating force in... and America keeps getting closer and closer to taking their game from them, in many areas.  The NHL is already mostly American, based on fanbase and obviously locations.

How many Canadian teams have won the Cup in the last 20 years (3, last one was 1992-1993), compaired to American teams (17).  Can you imagine a Canadian team winning the Super Bowl 17 out of 20 seasons?  They're mad about that.

It's like a little nerdy guy with a cute girlfriend, who leaves the nerdy guy for the hero-QB.  We are (Americans) the QB.  We drink their milkshake. We drink it up.  And it tastes gooooood.  They're mad about that.

Well, American teams are mostly made up of Canadian players - one might say.  Well, I didn't say their reasoning was a rational one.  Robin Williams said it best when he said that Canada is like the neighbor on the next floor up, and America is the party that keeps them up all night.

Jealousy is a red maple leaf. 

Québécois hate us for a heckuva lot more then hockey. It's not even politics they would hate us for the way we eat our pizza if they could find a way.  

Québécois hate us for a heckuva lot more then hockey. It's not even politics they would hate us for the way we eat our pizza if they could find a way.  

And if America beats them in the Olympics, I'm sure they'll find that way.  lol

Game preview for USA vs Norway today @ 3pm

http://www.nhl.com/ice/pr...=2009090007&navid=DL|CAR|home

Ryan Miller in net for Team USA.

"This is the first 60 minutes that these guys have played together and,with that yardstick, I'm pleased with the game," American GM BrianBurke said. "Some of these guys barely know each other. You're notgoing to get the reading off of each other that you get from units thatplay together on a regular basis. You're not going to see that, notearly in the tournament anyway."

Yes!!!! Team USA and the Ryans won it again for team USA!

Had to do it...in 2002 we were at the Salt Lake Olympics and saw both men's and women's hockey.

When we saw the women's, it was during the gold medal round. Couldn't believe how good they were! We sat right behind the bench, so if you watch any old video, will see me in it!

1) No one cares about curling.. Actually, its pretty painfully boring to watch

2) Yes, team USA needs to work on their defense; however, I happen to like the pinch Gleason made that the announcers were fussing about. It DID work, DIDN'T it? Thank you...

3) Go team USA!!!!

I missed the game .... don't get the USA channel where I'm at. Does anyone now where I can catch a replay of the game online somewhere?  (Am I allowed to ask that, since the game's already over and all?)

Thanks!

I missed the game .... don't get the USA channel where I'm at. Does anyone now where I can catch a replay of the game online somewhere?  (Am I allowed to ask that, since the game's already over and all?)

Thanks!

You can ask whatever you want, the NHL doesn't own the copyrights to the IOC/NBC broadcasts. wink.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

DianeNC']I missed the game .... don't get the USA channel where I'm at. Does anyone now where I can catch a replay of the game online somewhere?  (Am I allowed to ask that, since the game's already over and all?)

Thanks!

You can ask whatever you want, the NHL doesn't own the copyrights to the IOC/NBC broadcasts. wink.gif

In that case, here is a link (http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/).  They have all the hockey games listed, but I haven't tried the links out myself.

Oh, and curling is plenty entertaining when you've got something else going on.  I've been working on graphics and making dinner with it on and I've got to say, it's an interesting sport that I'd never have seen if it wasn't for the Olympics.  It's different.