The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesIn6

Ray Whitney - LET"S KEEP HIM!!!!

I would like to see him traded as well. Get the value out of him while he still has some left. He's incredible player and has been huge for the Canes. At the same time, JR has to do what's right for the team and in my opinion that's trade him for a 1st rounder or something equivlant.

Extend him with a 2 year performance laden deal with a 3rd year club option.  Hockey is one of the last sports where loyalty means something not the almighty dollar.  Give RW a 2 year $8mm contract with a points performance clause.

Just because Roddy's long term deal has not worked out due to his injuries or whatever, is no reason to never again offer a player a similar contract. They are two different players and the scenario is different. I would prefer a two-year deal for ray but would not consider it an abomination like some who base their logic entirely on roddy's circumstance, if he were given 3 years. Ray is more effective at this point in his career than roddy was and sometimes the best move for a GM is to take a reasonable chance. If RW is not worth a chance at his age then no one has been or will ever be. He may not produce at 50 point level for 3 more seasons but then again he may. The playmaking skills do not come naturally to even some of the most gifted young athletes, and our young guys can definitely benefit from that part of his game(on the ice). I won't be upset if he gets deal somewhere else but I would rather have himhere. I mean he's not just winding down a career here, he's still "The Wizard.

Extend him with a 2 year performance laden deal with a 3rd year club option.  Hockey is one of the last sports where loyalty means something not the almighty dollar.  Give RW a 2 year $8mm contract with a points performance clause.

Not if they want to obide by the CBA.  This is not an option.  Whitney is over 35 which will will allow him performance bonuses but only on a 1 year contract. 

The Wizard is one of my favorite players and it would really hurt to see him go but then I do see the value in letting him go now. I almost cried when he came out for his post game star announcement....and I was yelling "Don't Go Ray"!! He has played awesome the past two seasons but he is only getting older. If he has to go I would like him to go as a rental this season and signed back on a year to year basis. He has given Staal a run for points the past couple years so he's still got it in him.

(((Can you imagine him playing on a team against the Canes?!?! He would destroy us, even worse then Stillman everytime we play the Panthers!)))

Here's my 2sense, some people are talking like we have no chance of making the playoffs and just trade whoever away and see what we can get for em in return, were only 9 points out of a playoff spot with 21 games left with alot of those teams right infront of us we will be playing against after the break,

obviously we'll need some help but good Lord its far from impossible of us making the playoffs, our 1st line has been outstanding as of late and the only way i can see JR trading Ray is if he has already lost total faith in us making the playoffs and even if we did not going far, then I could see him trading Ray, especially since we just let Matt go, but we can still make it and Id hate to break up that 1st line because Ray, Eric and Jussi are playing great togeather!

i cant believe how willing some of you canes fans are ready set go with trading whitney away .....

why ???? because he could get us something back ?????

are you guys serious ????

whitney is the only reason we are winning games again and yall just want to trade him away ????

so which is it people ? try our best to make the playoffs this year or trade away all our talent and hope to get in the 1st over all 1st pick ????

it makes no sence . if we trade ray away to some team , we wont get anyone back like ray . the other team would be getting more then we would .

draft picks ???? you know the majority of thoese picks we got will be be sent to the charollete checkers next year , not one of them is going to be a cane any time soon .

i say keep whitney , pay him the money , and work with what we got . and then next year make a run for the cup .

its not like we are going to draft anybody this year thats going to make a diffrence to the team,

and having ray on the team ensures we got a allready talented player as it is . who cares if ray is over 35 , he can still play, and thats reason enough to keep him .

if the gm dose trade ray away , im going to drown my sorrows in beer for the next 3 months and probley get liver disease

i cant believe how willing some of you canes fans are ready set go with trading whitney away .....

why ???? because he could get us something back ?????

are you guys serious ????

whitney is the only reason we are winning games again and yall just want to trade him away ????

so which is it people ? try our best to make the playoffs this year or trade away all our talent and hope to get in the 1st over all 1st pick ????

it makes no sence . if we trade ray away to some team , we wont get anyone back like ray . the other team would be getting more then we would .

draft picks ???? you know the majority of thoese picks we got will be be sent to the charollete checkers next year , not one of them is going to be a cane any time soon .

i say keep whitney , pay him the money , and work with what we got . and then next year make a run for the cup .

its not like we are going to draft anybody this year thats going to make a diffrence to the team,

and having ray on the team ensures we got a allready talented player as it is . who cares if ray is over 35 , he can still play, and thats reason enough to keep him .

if the gm dose trade ray away , im going to drown my sorrows in beer for the next 3 months and probley get liver disease

I don't usually get involved in these types of things, but...

Your thinking is completely off-line. We are rebuilding; that is final. It is time to do so, it has been for three years now, but after the dreadful start this season JR finally got his act together. Making the playoffs this year is almost impossible, thus, we need to trade away certain players for young players and/or picks. Cullen was one of those players, Whitney is another, and there are several others. Yes, it is extremely difficult to say goodbye to these guys, BUT we have to rebuild. We cannot keep having bad starts every year, then catch fire and make or barely miss the playoffs. That is not consistency. There is a reason this season happened, and all of the bad things that have gone with it. We are the OLDEST team in the league; old teams get injured, apathetic, and etc. Add those things together, and bam you've got the start that we had. Again, it's a tough process, but everybody does it (possibly excluding the Wings and Devils). Rebuilding is a part of sports, and its finally time that we did so. 

So, instead of being all glum about it, people need to be excited because look at the great foundational players that we have (Staal, Wardo, Gleason, etc). Put some young talent around them, and we might not have to rebuild for very long. I mean look at the team now; we have like 5 AHL players playing and we've won 9 out of the last 11 games. That is fantastic! And it bodes VERY well for future. Also, there's a good chance Whitney and others will come back seeing that their unrestricted FAs this summer. Overall, we're going to be a very competitive team again, and possibly sooner rather than later. IF we can get the Wizard and others back, then that'll be even better. If not, then we'll still be ok, because of what we'll have gotten for them, coupled with a hopefully injury free team next season. 

The draftpick probably won't be a Cane next year.  However, the team and hopefully the fans will be around longer than 1 more year.  On top of which he has no real value to the canes the rest of the season as they are out of the playoffs, and there is no certainty that he will accept a deal from the Canes.  So its keep him now and enjoy him for the rest of the season for show, or try to get something in return.

I'm hoping Whitney was demanding the contract from the kings, because the kings aren't really a 'real' cup contender, and its across the country, and a pain in his +#% to have to go play there.  But if Pittsburgh wanted him as a rental, a team that is one of the favorites to win the cup, and its not to far from his home, and then he can just be a FA after and hopefully find his way back into a canes uniform, its the best of both worlds.

That's what I think JR is planning to try and do with Cullen.  Rent him out for the rest of the season, and then bring him back to Carolina next year. Essentially getting a pick and a player for literally no cost to the organization.

Whitney is 37 years old.  Yes, he seems ageless but he won't be playing forever.  We got 2nd round picks for Wallin and Cullen.  You would have to believe the market would bring a 1st Round pick and a good prospect for Ray.  JR, thinks so, as he said this in a meeting with suite holders just last week.  It's also been reported in the media that's what he is asking. 

I love Ray as much as anyone, but this is about the future, not the present.  If Ray gets an extension he likes from another team, good for him.  If JR signs him in the offseason for a couple of years with a hometown discount, that's fine too.

PS:  Showing up at JRs door with pitchforks and torches probably isnt going to work. 

I don't usually get involved in these types of things, but...

Making the playoffs this year is almost impossible, thus, we need to trade away certain players for young players and/or picks.( I disagree, I think the playoffs are very possible especially the way we've played of late but trade Whitney and we can forget about it) 

Yes, it is extremely difficult to say goodbye to these guys, BUT we have to rebuild.(Has nothing to do with it being hard to say goodbye we've come acustom to no long term realtionships and seeing guys leave regardless of being a fan favorite) 

We cannot keep having bad starts every year, then catch fire and make or barely miss the playoffs.(So is that Ray's fault? He's been our best player this season! alot of that had to do with new guys learning our system along with injuries) 

We are the OLDEST team in the league (Actually Detroit is older than us, we have 6 players including Manny that are 35 or older, Wings have 7 players 35 or older) we have 10 players 30 or older Wings have 12) how's their record looking this year?

we have like 5 AHL players playing and we've won 9 out of the last 11 games.(Can't give all the credit to the rats for that, though they have played good)  Also, there's a good chance Whitney and others will come back seeing that their unrestricted FAs this summer.(This is the only way Id be ok with it is if we did get a 1st round pick and a player that can produce right now plus knowing we would resign Ray in the summer even for a year or 2.)

The main issue here isn't so much that he's a fan favorite (jeez, so is Rod...I mean, I practically worship the guy, but he's getting old and is breaking down)...the issue is what return value can we get from him if JR trades him. Ray has been consistently putting points on the board for us this season (and past ones as well), but, as anyone can tell you, he's no spring chicken. As a Caniac, I would rather trade him for a decent prospect and draft picks. He may yet have a few more good seasons left in him before he calls it a career...but the return value that we could get as an organization with the numerous years of production from the prospects/picks outweighs the salary cap hit of keeping him.

*Just as long as he doesn't get traded to the Caps or Penguins!

For Cullen we only got a 2nd round draft pick since Picard is also a UFA after this season.
I think Picard is an RFA at seasons end.  So he is ours to lose.

Trade 'em...and Corvo, and A. Ward, and even Sergei and Cole. Say goodbye to Yelle and Walker, and open up roster spots for the future of this franchise. If your over 30, you're not in the plan.

[quote name=Manwolf]Trade 'em...and Corvo, and A. Ward, and even Sergei and Cole. Say goodbye to Yelle and Walker, and open up roster spots for the future of this franchise. If your over 30, you're not in the plan.Good in theory but remember they only have value if another team wants them...wink.gif

everyone knows how i feel  about ray, please if he goes, not to bruins or crapitals, and i want him to retire a  cane, even if he get resigned at end of his career for the one game thing...  NO DOUBT  in my caniac mind his number 13 goes to the rafters...