The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bmb2jn

What is a sport that you don't consider to be a sport?

Well, get over yourselves, folks... here's the skinny straight from Webster:

Sport (noun) 1) any activity or experience that gives enjoyment or recreation; pastime; diversion 2) such an activity, esp. when competitive, requiring more or less vigorous bodily exertion and carried on, sometimes as a profession, according to some traditional form or set of rules, whether outdoors, or indoors 3) fun or play

Under 'sportsman' : (noun) 1) man who is interested in or takes part in sports, esp. in hutning, fishing, etc. 2) person who cant take loss or defeat without complaint, or victory without gloating, and who treats his opponents with fiarness, generosity, courtesy, etc.

As you can see "sport" covers a wide range of activities. I laughed at the idea of fishing (except in the instances of deep sea fishing which CAN be significantly exerting if you're lucky enough to hook one of the denizens of the ocean blue) as requiring vigorous bodily exertion - but you can see that the definition is so broad that virtually any kind of competition is considered 'sporting', and it makes no difference if other species are involved, or mechanical devices (how else could we call riding motorized conveyances "sport" since all the human does is sit there and steer - even though people in racing understand the conditioning and skill required. )

Recreation, rules, enjoyment = sport! ( I hate to be the one to tell you guys but there are FISH shows... people transport their tanks and equipment and fish all over the countryside, then set them up and the judges judge their fish - from guppies to god-knows-what - all according to very specific standards and rules. voila! SPORT for the persons who care to compete! hee hee

thank goodness there is room for competition in just about everything for everyone. Anyone hear attend or participate in LAWN TRACTOR RACING??? Let's face it - anything goes no matter what personal preferences are, and frankly I'm glad. I love watching all kinds of competitions. Celebrate diversity!

P.S. I am going to my first chicken show in Raleigh at the fairgrounds in March. Can't wait! Have heard about them from a friend and now I GOTTA see one for myself. I know I will have a ball, and the people watching will be the biggest part of my fun!

equestrian (the real athlete isn't even human), dog shows (same thing), poker, cheerleading, pro wrestling, paintball, bmx (it's going to be in the olympics).

Why is paintball up there? That's a sport. You gotta be very athletic.

I don't think that just because something is on ESPN means they are labeling it as a sport. I really think the reason poker is on is b/c they need to fill up time slots....but back to the topic. I don't consider bowling or pool to be a sport, but it is on TV all the time (instead of hockey that they should be showing :)

Hunting. It is not a sport unless you give the animal a gun as well. If you give it a gun then it is even and you can call it a sport.

Webster can suck a slug...here's the REAL definition of sport:

Sport (N): A game, involving two teams, a sheet of ice, checking, sticks with blades that curve no more than 3/4", goaltenders, fights, and where the winner at the top level gets the Stanley Cup. See also ice hockey.

Hunting. It is not a sport unless you give the animal a gun as well. If you give it a gun then it is even and you can call it a sport.

I totally agree staalsy. Only problem is though - every time I try to do that they either look at me kinda funny, I can't find them or they run away.

equestrian (the real athlete isn't even human), dog shows (same thing), poker, cheerleading, pro wrestling, paintball, bmx (it's going to be in the olympics).

Same reason as cheerleading I suppose. Nobody realizes the conditioning and coordination required to do it.

I consider a sport to be any activity that works up a sweat. If you don't sweat, you ain't doing anything. Golf, pool, bowling, etc., is not my cup of tea. Football, basketball, baseball, hockey, competitive skiing, lacross, track and field, etc. are sports. They use a stop watch or timer of some sort. Best man wins !

Bullriding.

I don't care how physical or competitive it is - I think it is so absurdly lame and caveman-ish, that I refuse to give it acknowledgement as a 'sport.' It's stupid. Period.

I don't consider golf a sport. Same with Pro Wrestling, fishing, and body building. Weightlifting I do consider a sport though.

Anything that happens in a bar is not a sport.... darts, pool, drinking, getting thrown out

My favorite sports need violence, speed, and a timer. But I think the Biatholon is cool even though it doesn't fit my formula...

I don't consider golf a sport.

I don't consider miniature golf a sport, but golf is a sport. Go out and play 18 holes and your body will let you know at the end that golf is a sport. Personally, I think golf is more athletic than baseball, especially if you walk the course.

Hitters in baseball might take what, 10-12 swings a game? A guy can go 4-4 and score every time, but all he's doing is running 480 yards spread over a three hour timeframe. Then some go to the outfield and chase after 7-8 batted balls during a game. 480 yards is a SHORT Par 5 on a golf course. Sure, all you do is walk and swing. But you're walking just about the whole time, hitting that little ball as hard as you can, and then walking some more until you've walked about 3.75 miles. Figure that in with the mental side of the game that is unmatched by any team sport and I would say golf is definitely a sport. Just my opinion.

Same reason as cheerleading I suppose. Nobody realizes the conditioning and coordination required to do it.

Being a doctor requires conditioning and coordination, after a fashion. Yet performing surgery isn't a sport, is it?