The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bmb2jn

What is a sport that you don't consider to be a sport?

I don't understand why people are so surprised at ESPN showing some of these. Yes, they may not be a sport, but that's why it's called the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

And almost everything listed as not a sport is entertaining.

Cheerleading is definatley a sport.. Even if it's cheering for another sport, if you haven't noticed, they're like flipping and doing all this crazy stuff..

It's pretty much a level of gymnastics, which is a sport..

Now the Storm Squad is a different story.. =P

I don't understand why people are so surprised at ESPN showing some of these. Yes, they may not be a sport, but that's why it's called the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

Then why don't they air sitcoms and soap operas? Well, they tried with Playmakers...

And almost everything listed as not a sport is entertaining.

Says who? Remember, entertainment value is judged at an individual level. Personally, I find a lot of the non-sport items boring, too.

Then why don't they air sitcoms and soap operas? Well, they tried with Playmakers...

So because they don't show sitcoms and soap operas, they're not allowed to show any kind of entertainment?

Says who? Remember, entertainment value is judged at an individual level. Personally, I find a lot of the non-sport items boring, too.

It's obviously entertaining to some people, or else they wouldn't continue to show it. I find many sports to be boring, but that doesn't stop them from being entertaining to someone.

So because they don't show sitcoms and soap operas, they're not allowed to show any kind of entertainment?

It's just that they've long distanced themselves from the "entertainment" part of the equation. I remember not too many years ago when ESPN billed itself as the "total sports network." Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

It's obviously entertaining to some people, or else they wouldn't continue to show it. I find many sports to be boring, but that doesn't stop them from being entertaining to someone.

Oh, I know. I'm not the one running the multi-billion dollar network. That's why they don't show hockey. They can pay probably 1/10th the money to show other things that will draw the same rating. Sad, but true.

OK, OK....don't get upset but since the discussion of ESPN is in the works. Gotta ask yourself if the whale was still around and ESPN is based 15 miles south of Hartford. Would they still be the leader in airing NHL games on national TV?

Better Yet...EATING COMPETITIONS. Ugh, ESPN aired one about 2 months ago. Pathetic..had announcers everything..little asian won by eating 81 cheeseburgers. It was competitive. They'd drunk their food in water so it would go down easier.

That kid, if its the same one who wins the dog eating contest, wins them all the time. That kid can eat!! Can't be too healthy now can it but yeah, I would qualify that as a NON-SPORT

Gotta ask yourself if the whale was still around and ESPN is based 15 miles south of Hartford. Would they still be the leader in airing NHL games on national TV?

I doubt it. The people running ESPN now aren't the same ones that were there 15 years ago, nor do they have any loyalty to anything that isn't attached to a dollar sign. If the money's not there, it's not there. The lockout was the final blow to the network dropping the league.

I love listening to the commentators for some of these "sports". I love the darts guy, just blurting out random things. Also, how do you commentate a hot dog eating contest? "He's eating the hotdog, swallowing, eating another, drinking...."

Gotta ask yourself if the whale was still around and ESPN is based 15 miles south of Hartford. Would they still be the leader in airing NHL games on national TV?

I doubt it. The people running ESPN now aren't the same ones that were there 15 years ago, nor do they have any loyalty to anything that isn't attached to a dollar sign. If the money's not there, it's not there. The lockout was the final blow to the network dropping the league.

probably right...there were quite a few loyal to the whale there though but like they say "business is business" ( gotta use a godfather accent when you say that)

equestrian (the real athlete isn't even human), dog shows (same thing), poker, cheerleading, pro wrestling, paintball, bmx (it's going to be in the olympics).

Why is paintball up there? That's a sport. You gotta be very athletic.

I see it as more of a game than a sport.

Generally everything that is considered borderline I don't consider a sport. Poker? It's gambling. Nothing to it.

Personally I don't count basketball either. I just don't get it at all. Edit: Same goes for nascar.

Basketball is definetely a sport. I don't see how you could make a case saying it's not. Car racing isn't a sport. You just sit there and drive a car around and around a track.

Car racing is a "MotorSPORT". WWE now considers itself "Sports Entertainment". I think they are both sports, even dumbass annoying cheerleading. Wrestlers who make it to the WWE have to be in phenomenal shape, as well as having to deal with lots of pain from some of those big spots they do and bumps they take. Is kinda funny if you think about it Wrestlers try to hide the real pain there in and show the fake pain sort of.

What is a sport that you don't consider to be a sport?
Simple, anything that isn't hockey. :wink:

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

equestrian (the real athlete isn't even human),

No offense, Shane, but you try and make 1200 pounds of animal jump a 6 foot fence in a time limit or in a certain pattern, and see if you still think that the rider is not an athlete.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is dominos. I kid you not, I was walking by a TV one time at the student union and it was showing a dominos game on ESPN2.

As for defining sport, I tend to stick with the if-you-break-a-sweat rule.

Well, asu, Mr. GSBG and I must be amateur athletes by your definition. We both sweat BULLETS every time we do our four weekly 5K (3.11 miles) runs ... although he rocks, at age 46 1/2 (he turned in a cool time of 29:46 today), while I hang in there at age 45 (oy! :Oops: I pulled 36:48). Ah, well ... I soaked my running gear and burned off 360 calories. 8)

Cheerleading

*ahem*

So sorry to disagree with you politely, CHG, but as a member of my high school's dance/drill team, I had more stamina, muscular endurance, and flexibility than nearly anyone on the school's varsity football team. As part of that team, I was part of the "kick line," performing every halftime at our school's home football games. (You're on the right track if you're thinking a high-school version of the Rockettes, NYC's famed dancers.)

Being part of that group required superior flexibility and strong, seemingly endless endurance -- if you didn't have either of those, you'd end up with ripped hamstrings (and, if you're average, physical exhaustion to the extent of your requiring a trip to the ER in the back of a paramedic's vehicle).

Mind you, the dance/drill team didn't require its members to perform back flips, cartwheels, handsprings, and three-person-high pyramids, all of which have been part of the high school/college cheerleading experience the last 15 years or so. As someone who's a lumbering 5'9", 145, I admire anyone who can pull that off. That's athletic.

Jan/GSBG

P.S. I'm glad to have learned cardiovascular endurance as a drill/dance member 30 years ago. If not for that, I'd probably never have finished the Long Beach Marathon this last October! 8)

I agree with you, Mike.

Therefore, golf is a pastime, not a sport. =D

I beg to differ, in the pic you can see one Eldrick Woods wiping the sweat away.

050811_tigerw_vmed_8a.standard.jpg

You ever played golf here in the summer? You sweat. Trust me. I agree though, golf is a pastime.

If there's blood, then it's a sport. 069.gif