The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
mdemilia

women's gold medal round: Feb 24th 6:30 pm EST

Canadian women's hockey team being investigated by IOC for celebration

Seriously, 18 year old players drinking beer on the ice after gold medal victory?  They may be really great hockey players but lack a little in the brains department. 

The link is working sporadically so here is the article:

The International Olympic Committee will
who celebrated their gold medal victory Thursday night by swigging beer and smoking cigars on the ice in Vancouver.

A number of players, including 18-year-old superstar Marie-Philip Poulin, were drinking alcohol on the ice following the
. (The legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19.) Players lingered for more than 70 minutes after the awards ceremony reveling in the arena, which was empty except for media and arena staff. (Click here to
of the celebration.)

Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director of the Olympic Games, said that drinking in public was "not what we want to see" from athletes at an Olympic venue. The organization will investigate the actions and will speak with the international hockey federation and Canadian Olympic Committee and ask them to "act accordingly."

Steve Keough, a spokesman for the Canadian Olympic Committee, told the Associated Press, “We condone celebrations. … We don’t condone actions of irresponsibility. I think Canadians understand it’s quite an emotional moment for our team. It was not our intention to go against any IOC protocols.” 

To be sure, the Canadian women's hockey team should have acted with more class and been a little more discreet with its celebration.

But to do something drastic like ban the team from the Closing Ceremony or force them out of the Olympic Village would be an overreaction. In past Olympics we've seen steroids, political boycotts, cheating and judging scandals. A few puffs of a cigar hardly seems to be in the same league.

Agreed, much ado about nothing.  There is no WNHL so the Olympic gold medal is the pinnacle of their hockey careers and what they play for.  They only have the chance to compete for it every 4 years so yeah, go ahead and celebrate that win and savor every moment.  Its not like they were hurting anyone rioting on the streets or driving around drunk in cars, it was their own personal celebration on the ice.

Lesson to be learned: there are cameras everywhere wink.gif

Wow I guess I'm in the minority.  I don't have an issue with the celebration, I do however have an issue with them allowing underage girls to drink in public.  I'm very surprised no one else thinks that is an issue.  I guess my moral meter is out of sync or I'm just too old to be cool.  I don't care what it means to them and how hard they worked - it is illegal for them to be drinking and to do it right there on the ice in my opinion was stupid and I have no problem with the IOC calling them out for it.  At the very least, take it private in the locker room where it doesn't stand out. 

18 is legal drinking age in canada just btw.... we are one of the only places in the world with drinking age at 21... so its not a big deal lol.

Au contraire. It is 19 years old, as it's been stated on NUMEROUS newspapers, and the IOC initial statement.

ok to clear it up it depends on what part you are from!

* Alberta - 18

* British Columbia - 19

* Manitoba - 18

* New Brunswick - 19

* Newfoundland and Labrador - 19

* Northwest Territories - 19

* Nova Scotia - 19

* Nunavut - 19

* Ontario - 19

* Prince Edward Island - 19

* Quebec - 18

* Saksatchewan - 19