The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Gold Medal Game - Eric Staal vs Tim Gleason

I knew Toews would eventually breakthru. Great period for Canada. USA had one close call but that's all so far. One more person to breakthru and make some noise......Crosby.

Looked to me like Jack Johnson was VERY weak in playing the puck on the play that resulted in Canada's goal. Yes they were forechecking, but you have to play it stronger than that.

Liked his little hit at the end of the period though. Nothing violent by any stretch. Now the punch from Perry to the back of the head, on the other hand, deserves a penalty. You don't do that, regardless of how emotional and important the game is. I'm not saying the refs are trying to gift-wrap this one for the Canadians, but if they don't call that a penalty, I'll have my doubts. Especially after the tripping call on Ryan that looked to me like just a hit that knocked a guy off his feet.

Just my observations so far.... USA! USA! USA!

The Ryan trip was slew-foot. The replay from reverse shows that. I'm still waiting for Staal to show some grit and tenacity. Most of the time he glides like a albatross with his big reach, waiting for Crosby to do something creative.

Some tweets from USA Olympic athletes in attendance at the game:

Simon Cho The USA/CAN hockey game is nuts!! We can't end these Games letting Canada thinking they won. Let's go USA!!!

chadhedrick Hockey game is crazy! Will there be another miracle on ice today? Closing ceremonies tonight!

Apolo Anton Ohno It's incredible to be on this side of the ice for once---ha! It's special to know how these men feel..once in a lifetime! Love it!!

Apolo Anton Ohno This is Olympic spirit. Canada AND USA playing with their hearts...it's beautiful. Man!! Where r my skates!!!?? Ha!

How many cross checks/ boards are the Canadians going to get away with? We're being called for our cheap $**%, how about them?

Man, were coughing up pucks from cross checks.  

Edit: Oh forgot, JJ is a complete disgrace to the sweater he's wearing. Leveling someone after the period is over? The kid doesn't even belong there in terms of talent nevermind the fact he's a %%$$%.

^^ Still wonder why he was chosen in the first place with his stats. For crying out loud the dude is close to a -20!
On a team having an amazing season no less. He would have to be REALLY stinking it up to be a -20 on that team.

Thats a goal! But I still have a bad feeling about how I am gonna feel after the game.

Wow hey let's ignore the to many men on the ice. Thats awesome in case I didn't already think the Canadian refs were looking the other way.

And to think they blamed the refs in our first meeting....

[quote name='Stealth-ch1 wrote:

legend-1']Wow hey let's ignore the to many men on the ice. Thats awesome in case I didn't already think the Canadian refs were looking the other way.

And to think they blamed the refs in our first meeting....

I think its preety bad when the puck hits a guy entering the bench and you get nothing.

Staal choked on a breakaway. Unbelievable.

Heh, is it? We of all people should know who we would want on a breakaway against us in a gold medal game.

There's the close game that all of us knew it was going to be. Damn Staal!! At least force Miller to do make a difficult save, not gift-wrap it with a pretty little pink bow and let Miller pick it out of the air.

Luongo looks beatable and is coughing up nice rebounds.  Keep crashing the net and fire everything at him.  Canadas defense has been solid but the boys are starting to wear them down.  Pressure...Pressure....Pressure!!!!!!!

I don't know .... if you were to ask me which team looks like it wants it more, right now, my answer wouldn't be Team USA (and I have no idea why .... wouldn't you think this would be the time to give it everything you've got?)  I don't understand.