The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Gold Medal Game - Eric Staal vs Tim Gleason

My heart is beating fast. Talk about the "Never give up attitude" well, Team USA just showed it.

Sid the Kid should be known as Sid the Choke. Another break away and another miss opportunity.

My heart is beating fast. Talk about the "Never give up attitude" well, Team USA just showed it.

Sid the Kid should be known as Sid the Choke. Another break away and another miss opportunity.

No way. Sid is going to get the OT winner. It's gonna be a storybook ending Hollywood cannot ignore. (cross fingers)

Latest Tweets from Olympic athletes at the game:

QYNFKNLGLYJAIIK.20090218190023_normal.jp

Steven Holcomb THIS IS UN-REAL!!!!! GO USA!!!!!! http://tweetphoto.com/12861715

nic_bio_pic_normal.jpg

Nicole Joraanstad I am cheering loud for Team USA Hockey!

lv_downhill_title_normal.jpg

lindsey vonn Apolo Ohno and I at the hockey game! So fun!! http://yfrog.com/3g13zuj

chris_twitter_normal.jpg

chris plys Let's get a USA chant on Twitter ... USA USA USA

evan_normal.jpg

Evan Lysacek 10 minute OT. Let's do this USA

Unfrigginbelievable ..... and it had to be Crosby????  mad.gif

Of course....

Plays pretty miserable (at least how I saw it) throughout the tournament, only to show up for the ONE goal that decides it. Lord knows we hear enough about him as it is. Now it'll be plain intolerable.

It is a great day to be Canadian!!!!!!!! Not only is it a gold for hockey, but Canada sets the record for most Golds in the Winter Olympics. It is only fitting that our saviour brings hockey back to Canada.

Thank you USA. You have come such a long way. Congrats to Tim Gleason on his silver.

Sorry but I don't feel any love for Canada right now.  Not one drop.  Might have been good for Canada but it would have been better for hockey if the US won.  More US fans is what this sports needs. 

I hate seeing those heads hung so low.  They should hold them up high and be proud of their accomplishment.  That silver medal will look a lot better to them next week.

It's a great day all around for North American hockey. I know team USA is disappointed right now, but winning the Silver with the level of talent this tournament brought together was no small feat. In no way can you consider this one as *losing* the Gold.

Ryan Miller goes tournament MVP. He came up huge the past two weeks. Wish it had been anyone but Crosby to seal the deal (yes, even Pronger). Crosby's head will need its own passport to cross the border now.

I hope the guys on Team USA realize that this game has finally truly come of age in the United States. 1980 may have been a miracle, but 2010 shows the reality that hockey is on the rise in this country with the quality of play from the U-16s on up to the pros.

I'm looking forward to the day that we see kids getting their start playing hockey in the Carolinas playing for the Cup and for the Gold.

L

P.S. A big 'Doh to the NHLPA for booking team USA for flights home this morning. ;-)

It is a great day to be Canadian!!!!!!!! Not only is it a gold for hockey, but Canada sets the record for most Golds in the Winter Olympics. It is only fitting that our saviour brings hockey back to Canada.

Canada may have set the record for most Golds, but last time I checked, it was Team USA that went undefeated and never trailed in every game they played here, until today. I also don't recall Canada scoring 6 goals in under 10 minutes of any game they played in the Olympics. But like I posted before the game, no one is going to remember any of that now, unfortunately.

And Crosby as Canada's "saviour"?  LOL  You can have him (please). Sheesh, if they put the camera on him one more time during the awards ceremony (even before/during Team USA were getting their medals), I was gonna smash my TV.  At least with the Hurricanes, we have many talented players, and don't have to constantly single out one to put up on a pedestal.

Last Tweets from Olympic athletes after the game:

ApoloVancouver2010_normal.jpg

Apolo Anton Ohno USA mens Hockey team played like warriors. Proud. Stand tall! Glad I could be here to experience this...you guys are all champions!

miiii_normal.jpg

Mirai Nagasu Great game...just wasn't good enough.

image3_normal.jpg

Louie Vito What a game!!! Congrats Canada.

Jayner_Steps_normal.jpg

Travis Jayner That may have been one of the greateast games in history.

091207_snowboard_team_848_normal.jpg

Greg Bretz Win or loose I had a great time being here USA rules and I'm excited be going home and celebrating with my family, back to the snow I go

QYNFKNLGLYJAIIK.20090218190023_normal.jp

Steven Holcomb USA Hockey finished with the silver but they played ONE HELL OF A GAME!!!! They are awesome, I loved every minute and so psyched to be there

051004ErikFisher060_normal.jpg

Erik Fisher Sorry boys but silver is not to bad.

Jordan_Skin_2_normal.jpgJordan Malone NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

jeremy_abbott_normal.jpg

Jeremy Abbott Aside from USA losing the Hockey game (which makes me want to cry) This has by far been the best day of my Olympics! :D

[quote name=Bing_Chow]It is a great day to be Canadian!!!!!!!! Not only is it a gold for hockey, but Canada sets the record for most Golds in the Winter Olympics. It is only fitting that our saviour brings hockey back to Canada.

Thank you USA. You have come such a long way. Congrats to Tim Gleason on his silver.Congrats to you and all our Canadian members, it was a great game.  Would have liked to seen the US finish the complete comeback but it wasn't to be.  Glad they picked Ryan Miller for the tournament MVP, he was the main reason Team USA went as far as they did.  I'll praise him for one more day but then he becomes a Buffalo Sabre again. 

If the NHLers are going to participate in 2014, I like the USA's chances. wink.gif

Tim Gleason will get the standing ovation of his life when he returns to Raleigh.

Congrats Canada.  Now that I got that out, the US was and IS still the better team.  As good as Miller was in the tourny, he's not known to win BIG games... Canes fans know that all too well.  That goal by Cr*sby (I didn't want to anti-swear-word program to edit my post) was soft.  Very disappointing.

I'd rather have Tim Gleason and a silver than Sidney Crosby and a gold, anyday.

Oh, and you may have won the battle, but we won the war.

Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 United States 9 15 13 37
2 Germany 10 13 7 30
3 Canada 14 7 5 26
4 Norway 9 8 6 23
5 Austria 4 6 6 16
6 Russia 3 5 7 15
7 South Korea 6 6 2 14
8 China 5 2 4 11

U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A ...

If the NHLers are going to participate in 2014, I like the USA's chances. wink.gif  
Knowing Bettman, I bet he'll screvv that up.

But seriously, Congrats Canada.  I say it today, but I'll mean it tomorrow.

All I can say is that is the way the game should be played.  IMO, Timmy was solid in every game.  Thought Staal answered some of the critics who questioned him being named to the Canadian squad.  Sucks the US couldnt pull it out and the fact that Crosby had to get the winner after a hohum tournament.

Wish I was going to be there on Tuesday but I'll be cheering myself hoarse for Gleason on Thursday.  Can't wait to wear my new #4 USA sweater. 

[quote name='jb_online wrote:

TSA']If the NHLers are going to participate in 2014, I like the USA's chances.
wink.gif

Knowing Bettman, I bet he'll screvv that up.

But seriously, Congrats Canada.  I say it today, but I'll mean it tomorrow.

Not to worry, he'll take the publicity and the ratings anyday, even if he has to settle for MSNBC.  He'll hold his chips as long as he can with the new CBA needing renewing with the NHLPA. Can't even guess what the ratings looked like for North America. ohmy.gif