The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Gold Medal Game - Eric Staal vs Tim Gleason

Congratulations Canada on winning Gold, Team USA for Silver, and our adopted family from Finland for Bronze!

Most of all congratulations to the winners - the fans of hockey who love this great sport and witnessed a great Olympics.

great game, agree with comments about NA Hockey. Best in the world is on this continent. Lot of great players in europe but team play here is dominant. I know people get tired of all the attention Sid the Kid gets, but the only thing he does to bring attention to himself is represent himself , his team, his family, and his country,in a class manner, as a star should. Anyone that lets emotion override logic in issues like that IMO is very shortsighted. Guys like him help raise the level of awareness no matter what sport it is, and thats what we all want, isn't it. Hockey as part of mainstream culture. USA should be proud and TSA is right on, Timmy will be strongly recognized for his solid performance.

Why does 7 points seem so HO hum to everyone. SC wasn't over the top but even superstars are only really good sometimes.

I appauld the US for not giving up. Congrats to Canada and Staal for striking gold. Congrats to Gleason for striking Silver. And congrats to our Fins for striking Bronze.

ugh....

But I loved the intensity of the game...seeing the players play so hard as they did.  It is truly amazing!

I hope this game spurs on the Americans to win gold in 2014...

Why does 7 points seem so HO hum to everyone. SC wasn't over the top but even superstars are only really good sometimes.
While I was watching the gold medals being given out to Canada, and they went down that lineup ..... I just said WOW, again.  So, the Crosby ho hum comment is relative and applies if you consider the play of some of the other players on the Canadian squad during the tournament.   

Congratulations to Team Canada for winning.  Congrats to our Canes Eric Staal, Tim Gleason, Joni Pitkanen and Tuomo Ruutu!

I know people get tired of all the attention Sid the Kid gets, but the only thing he does to bring attention to himself is represent himself , his team, his family, and his country,in a class manner, as a star should. Anyone that lets emotion override logic in issues like that IMO is very shortsighted. Guys like him help raise the level of awareness no matter what sport it is, and thats what we all want, isn't it..
I can only speak for myself, but it's one thing to draw attention to a player or a team to bring awareness to this great sport, but I don't see that happening in Crosby's case. With him, the attention is constantly on Crosby (not his team, or his sport) to the point of over-exposure, where most are so sick of him being put on that pedestal, they can't/don't even get the chance to see what type of player and/or person the guy is. I honestly don't blame him, but the media and the powers-that-be who constantly fawn all over the guy. It almost makes me feel sorry for his NHL teammates. To have him make the game-winning goal today, and the over-the-top adulation afterwards, was just too much for me.

So, no, I'm not being shortsighted - if all this drooling over one player did some good for the sport, itself, I'd grit my teeth and go along with it, but I don't see that as the case here.

ETA:  Sorry for getting off topic, a little, TSA. Just wanted to respond to what caniacbeej shared in his/her post.

congrats to all the players,sid   is more pressure player than    alex is, thats all i can say,  thought usa would win after tieing it with 24 sec left...

The media does that to everything, AKA the old thing about whatever sells papers. The only reason I commented was I find it refreshing when the person who gets so trumped up by media types turns out to an alright guy/gal and puts a good face forward for the sport.

What a GREAT game...from start to finish! Nothing to hang our heads about...going into this game,Team USA was undefeated and it took a full 60 min. plus some to beat them. Miller is named tournament MVP. 4 Hurricanes coming home with medals...and I have great seats for Thursdays game to congratulate all of them. yahoo.gif

On a side note I don't  hate Crosby... I HATE the way the media focused on him as if he was the only man on the ice...I dislike the way Babcock changed lines to "get Crosby going" and let him take Nash's penalty shot...and went to him as if the other players on the team didn't really matter...and the way they felt the need to pause at him before giving him his medal (when they did not do that for any other member of the team...and given the fact that he got lucky and scored the winning goal for the gold will only make the media relentless...Is he good ...absolutely is he great...maybe In any event get ready to have a little more Crosby SHOVED down your throats...Because we all know it's coming. The Media already thought he was The Face of Hockey... Now they will have to tell us over and over and over,over,over,over...............
I love what Apollo Ohno said about the game..."Stand tall with your heads held up... the nation was cheering you on" and you made us PROUD!!!

Very PROUD of team USA and all our CANES...come on home boys we will be waiting to give all of you the standing "O" at the RBC center on Thursday

The media does that to everything, AKA the old thing about whatever sells papers. The only reason I commented was I find it refreshing when the person who gets so trumped up by media types turns out to an alright guy/gal and puts a good face forward for the sport.

Sid is a proven big game player that delivers when the chips are down, I might not like it but I have to respect it. Sid was quiet until his team needed him most and he delivered under high pressure.  Ovechkin on the other hand hasn't won anything yet and failed to show up for his country in these Olympics.

Sid sells hockey.

I'm happy for Staal and Gleason both.  The USA did a lot today with inferior talent.  They should all be really proud.  I was more upset about Sidney Crosby scoring the winning goal than I was about Canada winning in general.  I know he's a great talent and sells the game, but he gets handed so much by the NHL and is just a complete @#$@+.  

Great game and a great tournament.  It's ashamed that somebody had to lose this one.  Of course the Canadians take the gold, but overall we still had the best record (one OT loss for Team USA vs. one regulation loss for Team Canada - yeah, I went there).  I saw a lot of long faces on the USA players as they were getting their silvers.  They should be proud of their accomplishment.  Nobody gave them a chance, not even the players association that booked their flights home. 

I think that Gleason and Staal made a good showing.  Both showed that they belonged on the national teams.  I hope Staal remembers how he played strong and went to the goal in this tournament.  I also hope the Canes organization has a big celebration for our Olympic medalists, all 4 of them.

Go Canes, Go Team USA.  Congratulations Team Canada.

Are they going to be able to get 10,000 tiny little gold medals for the Staal bobbleheads in time for Thursday's game?

I'm happy for Staal and Gleason both.  The USA did a lot today with inferior talent.  They should all be really proud.  I was more upset about Sidney Crosby scoring the winning goal than I was about Canada winning in general.  I know he's a great talent and sells the game, but he gets handed so much by the NHL and is just a complete *%$!$.  

What is handed to him. He works very hard for his place in the game. Watch every thing I can find about hockey, never seen SC be an %$$

Crosby: Oh, I don't know. I guess that's for you guys to say. But I'm happy. I'm just like every other guy on the team who grew up a proud Canadian and dreamed about playing for Team Canada one day. And we all dreamed about scoring this goal. It could easily have been someone else. I'm happy I had the chance to do it.

I'm happy for Canada winning the gold, but could of done without Crosby netting the game winning goal. *BLAH* Please. Wished it was Staal, Neidermayer, or Getzlaf. Miller, without a doubt, great Olympics. A ton of new respect for Miller. I thought he was good, but he really shined during the Olympics. Nice job for Timmy Gleason too. Thought he played well too.

Youth is Silver Lining for US Team

Youth is silver lining for US team
VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Without
American Patrick Kane
, the unforgettable gold-medal game of the Vancouver Olympics never would have gone to overtime.

Late in regulation, Kane zoomed back with a poke check and stopped a stunned Crosby from scoring on a breakaway. Just over 2 minutes later, Kane sent a
slap shot
that captain Jamie Lagenbrunner deflected and
Zach Parise
directed into the net with 24.4 seconds remaining to force overtime.

"I was thinking get my (rear) back as fast as I can and right at the end just got his stick up," Kane said of ruining Crosby then. "That's probably the fastest I've ever backchecked in my life."

The play, Kane's two goals Friday against Finland that helped get the U.S. into the finals, and the fact the speedy
Chicago Blackhawks winger
is just 21 years old tell the story of the future of U.S hockey — a bright future, despite Sunday's 3-2 loss to Canada.

To win, Canada withstood a remarkable and determined effort from a U.S. team that wasn't supposed to medal in
Vancouver
, much less roll through the tournament unbeaten before losing in the first overtime gold-medal game since NHL players joined the Olympics in 1998.

On this Vancouver roster, 19 of the 23 Americans are younger than 30 years old. That includes 29-year-old
Ryan Miller
, who is headed back to the
Buffalo Sabres
as the tournament MVP.

"It certainly doesn't feel good right now, but (look at) where we came from August when people were making fun of how many Johnsons and Ryans and everything else we had," U.S. forward
Chris Drury
said. "No one knew our names.
People know our names now.
"

They sure know Miller's. He allowed eight goals in six games against the best players in the world, impressing denied scorers from Switzerland to Canada and back.

"We have every component to win," Miller said, meaning Sunday and beyond.

After Crosby's winning goal went through his legs, Miller stayed on his knees for a few seconds and then toppled forward onto the ice mask-first for a long, sad moment.

A few minutes later Drury, the 33-year-old captain, skated over to his goalie and hugged him. Miller hugged Drury back.

"He's pretty down," Drury said. "But there's no chance we're here without the way he played the whole tournament. It's heartbreaking to lose in OT of a gold-medal game, but he should be proud of everything he did the last two weeks."

Parise, who now returns to the
New Jersey Devils
, was the third-highest scorer in Vancouver with eight points in the six games of the tournament. He is 25.

Defenseman Jack Johnson of the
Los Angeles Kings
was one of the few speedy Americans to throw himself at the Canadians repeatedly on Sunday, even into his own goal post a couple of times to prevent scores. He played more than 23 minutes, and he's just 23. Fellow defenseman
Erik Johnson
played almost 20 minutes. He is just a few months older than Kane.

Ryan Kesler
, who scored the Americans' first goal Sunday in the second period to get them back in the game, is 25. Same with fellow forwards
Joe Pavelski
David Backes
and
Dustin Brown
Defensemen Bobby Ryan
and
Phil Kessel
are just 22.

There is one potential snag to this U.S. youth movement between now and Sochi: the NHL still hasn't decided if it will allow its players to participate in a fifth consecutive Olympics.
Commissioner Gary Bettman
is concerned about the two-week disruption to his league. Bettman also doesn't like that the IOC and the
International Ice Hockey Federation
, not the NHL, control the league's most valuable commodity throughout the tournament — its players.

"I'm hopeful NHL players will be involved. I think it's good for our game,"
Hockey Canada executive director Steve Yzerman
, a Hall of Famer who played for
Detroit
from 1983-2006, said Sunday. "But I do understand that there are issues that the NHL has concerned with."

As for the U.S. and its skilled youth, not every American was embracing the future in the moments after gold turned to silver with a flick of Crosby's wrist.

Crosby's goal left Parise bent over staring into ice. Then, near tears, he buried his face in his gloves while a national party raged around him.

"It means we've got some pretty good players here," Parise said of what the Vancouver performance means for Sochi. "But maybe we'll think about that a little later.

"Right now it's ... not right now."

With 24 hours to think about it, I dunno what ticks me off more. JJ's embarassing after the period was over hit or Crosby winning it all. 15 years of watching hockey and never seen a lay out after the period goes, maybe right as the period ended but never 10-15 seconds afterwards. There's more respect to the game then that and if he thinks he's bigger then the game quite frankily he can take the frickin sweater off and not play for us. 

Is this the brand of youth hockey we're encouraging? 

Wondered when someone might bring up the JJ hit after the buzzer.  I'm still embarrassed over that, and I agree not the type of action from a US Teasm I expect.  I guess I can live with the Crosby goal.

Wondered when someone might bring up the JJ hit after the buzzer.  I'm still embarrassed over that, and I agree not the type of action from a US Teasm I expect.  I guess I can live with the Crosby goal.
Refs should have been able to call a roughing for something like that.

It was such a great game our guys played like warriors.  It probably still stings losing the gold but they should be proud of themselves I sure am.  If just one child  has become inspired to play hockey then I would say Team USA has accomplished a part of their mission. Congrats to Team Canada and Team Finland.

It's great to have all three medals in Raleigh.

I'm just thrilled that all our Hurricanes who participated in the Olympics are coming home with medals! 

And any of y'all who are going to Thursday's game - cheer for me too; I'm bummed I won't be able to make it. sad.gif

This was a great tournament.

Shame that there had to be a loser.

Glad to see all the Canes got a medal.... Staal(GOLD), Gleason(SILVER), Ruutu(BRONZE) and Pitkanen(BRONZE)

Got a Eric Staal Team Canada Jersey ordered. Hope it will arrive REALLY SOON!

Ratings for the game are in and as expected they are impressive. 

Per Puck Daddy tweet

I'll repeat the speech:
1 in every 3 Americans with a TV watched.
Biggers #'s than every WS Game since '04, NBA Finals since '98

Gold medal game ratings

The Canada/USA Olympic Men’s Hockey Gold Medal game drew a 17.6 overnight rating on NBC Sunday afternoon, up 46% from the ‘02 Gold Medal game, which featured the same two teams.

Overnight ratings for the 2006 Gold Medal game were unavailable.

Sunday’s game is on pace to finish as the highest rated hockey telecast in the United States since 1980.

To put the numbers in perspective, Sunday’s game drew a higher overnight rating than every World Series game since 2004 (including every game of Yankees/Phillies last year), every NBA Finals telecast since 1998, and every NCAA Men’s Basketball Final Four game since at least ‘98.

Excluding the NFL, the 17.6 overnight for the game is the second-highest of the year for any sporting event, behind only the Texas/Alabama BCS National Championship Game in January (18.2).