The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Gold Medal Game - Eric Staal vs Tim Gleason

It is truely unbelieveable that Canada even had a shot at the Gold Medal. Team USA was the only undefeated team and there for should have the Gold medal. The format needs to be changed to match that of the Women's tournament, where the top 4 seeds out of the prelims play for the medals. If that was done it would have put USA vs. Sweden and  Russia vs Finland and then the winners would have played for gold and the losers play for Bronze. So far as this lifetime hockey fan is concerned Team USA and our own Tim Gleason got Screwed.

What a joke if the Men had the same format as the women's Team canada would already have been eliminated. How can an undefeated team lose the Gold to a team they already beat what a joke.

I'm a bit late for this, but better late than never.

I HATE the fact that Sid had to score the goal. I'm sorry, he's got amazing talent that many hockey players and future hockey players hope to have, but I'm sick of him. Overfed and too much. It really bugged me how the announcers (Was it Doc, or Roenick, Or Eddie???) that remarked that it was "HIS" team. Last I saw, Neidermayer wore the C, and Iginla and Pronger wore the A's. Too much, and it made me sick to my stomach literally.

That aside, I thought the REST of Team Canada did a great and remarkable job. Getzlaf and Perry were great together. And Toews to not be on the ice at all for a goal allowed is pretty good if you ask me. I have a feeling this is Brodeurs last Olympics, so happy he got one more gold and handed the reins down to Luongo. I will saw I think Crosb- I mean Canada did struggle by. Yeah, they had to face U.S. and Russia, but come on, they dominated Russia, but barely got by Swiss and Slovakia. Slovak's have some great players, but you'd think it should of been the opposite. So I'm not sure if Canada was as good as it was, or if they just had some lucky bounces.

USA should be PROUD AS HECK to accomplish what they did. I REALLY felt like they were going to win after scoring the tie goal. Who didn't????? Gleason was a beast with blocked shots, and I felt the team just clicked cohesively. It did seem like they were out of gas when the entered OT, but after 60 minutes of hockey, who wouldn't. The whole team was great, imo, and I hope many of them do return to Russia to represent us once again, and hopefully win the Gold AGAINST Canada.

BTW, nice job Jack Johnson. You really showed how classy "us Americans" really are. Nice job big guy. thumbsup.gif

Ok--let me say I can't stand Jack Johnson and can't begin to say how happy I am to have Timmy to cheer for instead of him.  And yes--Jack shouldn't have reacted the way he did--but Canada had him targeted from the first game with cheap shots.  Niedermeyer with the slam into the boards in the first game after the period ended and and Perry maybe? with a cheap shot after the first period ended in the medal game.  Maybe they thought it would get to him--but Jack deserved somekind of payback.

With 24 hours to think about it, I dunno what ticks me off more. JJ's embarassing after the period was over hit or Crosby winning it all. 15 years of watching hockey and never seen a lay out after the period goes, maybe right as the period ended but never 10-15 seconds afterwards. There's more respect to the game then that and if he thinks he's bigger then the game quite frankily he can take the frickin sweater off and not play for us. 

Is this the brand of youth hockey we're encouraging? 

I saw the JJ hit from a different perspective (and I loathe what's his name). The whistle had blown several seconds prior to the hit, and the Canadian player kept skating through the zone with the puck with impunity. I actually was a bit irked that the Canadian didn't just drop the puck and go. Head games, gamesmanship, what ever, just glad someone on our team nailed the guy.